Click a thumbnail to see its larger version and description.
A 2x3x3 from the 1980s with a different surface and inner mechanism.
- Inventor: Unknown
- Mechanism: 2x3x3
- Patents: Unknown
- Producer: USSR
- Year: Unknown
- Original Price: $6.67 USD
- Current Price: $121 USD
The original name of the puzzle is ????????? ??????, transliterated "Volshebnoe Domino", meaning "Magic Domino".
The original price is based on the official exchange rate (0.6 roubles per dollar) although in socialist time this was completely theoretical. The price (in roubles) is printed on the leaflet.
This domino differs in several ways from standard dominos.
1) There are openings to its insides. The openings are to allow its cubes to rotate past elements of the mechanism while twisting around the two-cube-tall axis. They show while rotating around either of the two three-cube-tall axes. There are openings on all of the edge cubes. See images 4-9.
2) The pips are indented as well as painted.
3) The plastic of the light-coloured cubes has yellowed with age.
4) There are no friction-reducing ridges between cubes like those on standard dominos.
5) The core design which is not covered by the original patent filed by Ernï¿½ Rubik.
One source states that this domino was made in Ukraine after the Hungarian Domino, and that the main production of the facility that created it was for the Soviet army. The military producers there had to make something for consumers as well.
There were at least two different body colours, prooved by images 10-15.
The original price is based on the official exchange rate (0.6 roubles per dollar) although in socialist time this was completely theoretical. The price (in roubles) is printed on the leaflet in the package.
Thank you to the following people for their assistance in helping collect the information on this page: Louis.
This puzzle can be found in collections of these members:
Found a mistake or something missing? Edit it yourself
or contact the moderator