Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mastermorphix (The Home Stretch)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:42 pm 

Alright, well I just wanted to update on my progress. I'm so close to having it all build so I can clean it up and make it look nice, but I ran out of epoxy putty again. So far, just for this mod I think I have used 4 or 5 tubes of it at least. Good thing it's only $4, which isn't too bad. The corners are a little rough because that's the last thing I make on it and I haven't had time to make them nice and smooth and need more epoxy anyway. But I'll finish as soon as I can! So tell me what you think!

Last edited by Josh B on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:53 pm 

I think it'll look great once it is sanded to shape and painted!

4x4x4 . . . PB: 1:11.32 Avg: 1:27
5x5x5 . . . PB: 2:26.47 Avg: 2:36.04
Pyraminx . PB: 4.18 Avg: 8.43

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:04 pm 

Wow, looking good, very kool, are you still making the step by step?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:54 pm 

I'm doing my best, but I've run into some problems. I'm working on fixing it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:12 pm 
I can't wait to see it fully done! And can you compare the size to something more common? I just want to know how big this is and given that I don't happen to have that superman thing, I can't tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:07 pm 

Well you can kinda visualize it. It is basically a half-truncated cube with a bunch of added on 'parts'. Look at the first picture. There is a Tri-Force like thing in it, which is the truncated side of a half-truncated cube. That's how I can see. So I guess it would be a little bigger than a pyraminx, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:15 pm 

Are you using plastic sheets at all? I think I see some but I am not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:01 pm 

I'm actually just filling the entire thing. I'm not so sure that I will sell it though so I'm not going to make it as perfect as if I was going to sell it. I left alot of extra on, so once I give it a good sanding it'll be nice and even. I'm about half-way done with the guide on how to make it. Here's a pic of it next to a 3x3..

Last edited by Josh B on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:27 pm 

Alright, here it is! How to make a Mastermorphix! Right click it and choose Save Target As and save the file on your computer if you want it!

Last edited by Josh B on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:57 pm 

Interesting tutorial.

You should try making it a PDF so it is easier to view, and is viewable by everyone.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:52 am 

Not a bad idea. Thanks!

Last edited by Josh B on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:55 pm 

Could you cut the corner a different way? If you look at the corner from the back, with the "thingy" that goes into the cube to make it work right in front of you, you see 6 points. Three are closer than the other three.You can imagine a trinagle out of the 3 nearer points. If you make a cut on that triangle, would it be the same corner cut?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:10 pm 

Superman -

You're Yang Ho Lee?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:27 pm 

yes sirajali, that is actually a better way to cut it. I used the pictures from the cubemania site and that is how he did it, but I actually did it the way you said and used the piece left over from that to make 3 more triangular pieces, keeping me from having any waste. Sorry but I forgot to include that when I made the guide, it was a very quick job and I didn't have all that much time on it anyway.

Also there are many different ways to make a mastermorphix, but that's just the way I made mine and the cubemania guy made his. I'm guessing his name is Yang Ho Lee? All I did was "translate" his site to a certain degree. It's in no way word for word of what he said. I just wrote what I experienced when I made mine and some tips on how to do it. So yeah, I'm not Yang, sorry. If he is offended by the fact that I used his pictures, I will gladly apologize and take it off immediately. I just thought it would be nice to have an english version.

Last edited by Josh B on Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:31 pm 

Quote:
How to make a Mastermorphix
By: Superman
wmfootball75@yahoo.com
Pictures borrowed from http://www.cubemania.co.kr

Nope, he isn't. :)

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:34 pm 

:oops: D'oh... Sorry...

Thought we had another established puzzle maker on our forum. :oops:

But great work Superman. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:38 pm 

Thanks! I might actually try to use some plastic if I ever make another one so that it will be much more symmetrical. I might also look in to molding the pieces. Not sure how well that works, I'll have to look in to that on this site and see if that would work because there are only 4 different kinds of pieces in the whole thing anyway.

I also went to wal-mart again today to get that last bit of putty I need but they wouldn't sell it to me again. It's very frustrating, but I'll get some somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:40 pm 

How many cubes total did this take you now?

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:02 pm 

That's an excellent question. It only takes the one for the core, but it takes many more corners for the small triangle pieces and I have quite a bit of extra pieces because of the many cubes I've mangled. After counting the number of pieces that you would need, I figured out that you need AT LEAST 3 cubes because 16 corners are required additional to the 8 on the original cube. This is saying that you do not mess up on any cuts and do it without any mistakes. (which I made many of!) I might be wrong, but that's what I think it would take.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:10 pm 

Ouch, I would just make the tips out of a corner and some sheet plastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:46 pm 

Yeah. I'm definately doing it in a very time consuming way, but I'm not that good with sheet plastic although I need to practice with it. I have some so I might try that. What is the best site to get some? I have a small sheet that I got from my dad, but it's pink and I'd at least like to have some more. Any good sites? If you could, could you link me directly to which kind I need? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:12 pm 

viewtopic.php?t=4894

Check out the pictures by Rick Mazzante, specifically the one showing a rubik's cube corner piece fused with a pyramorphix piece.

You can save yourself a lot of hours by using this piece and you can also use that as your starting point for smoothing out the rest.

Actually I recall posting such a picture myself and I know Carter posted such a picture as well, but I can't seem to find those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:16 pm 

That's awesome! That would make it 10 times easier. Is there any other way to get a pyramorphix than cube4you? It takes quite a while because it's so far away. Are there any in the US?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:19 pm 

I bought some inexpensive clone pyramorphixes from ebay a while back. (months and months...) they have the glittery stickers on them and are terrible, but good for this purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:28 pm 

Are you saying that as an offer or just stating that they are available on ebay? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:47 am 

http://chrono.org/puzzlepics/clonepyramorphix.jpg

This is a comparison between pieces of a Meffert's tiled pyramorphix from about 5 years ago and a common "clone" that's been floating around.

The most important thing to note is that the Meffert's pieces perfectly frame the Mastermorphix puzzle as long as you make sure to fit the rubik's cube corner is perfectly aligned with the pyramorphix part. Look at the piece on the lower left and you can see that the "edge on" view is perfectly aligned (the other edge looks a little off only because the rounding of the angles are different).

If you make sure that all 3 flat sides are perfectly aligned, your corner pieces will be excellent in quality.

Now, does the clone share the same dimensions as the Meffert's Pyramorphix? If you compare the two pieces on the lower right, the clone piece is held up by the Listerine PocketPak. The two edges are dead nuts precise and dimensionally the original Meffert's and clone match up well. I prefer the clone pieces though because the pieces come to a greater point than the heavily rounded Meffert's ones. The clones have a bit of a pebbled texture on the pieces, but you can remove those with very light sanding if you wanted to. And the other nice thing, light weight. :)

And yes, that's my Mastermorphix. It's maybe 90% finished now. But as you can see, I really don't like modding puzzles that had tiles on them.

I checked ebay to see if there were any clones available for sale and didn't see any. Why don't you drop me a PM with your mailing address and I'll see about mailing you the clone pieces you see in the pic above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:21 am 

I (inadvertently) destroyed a clone Starburst recently. It's made of Pyramorphix corners. PM me your address and I'd be happy to send them to you some, plus an inflatable cat / beach ball to cheer you up. Anything I can do to increase the Mastermorphix population!

Also I confirmed they're the same size as the glittery clones Jin was talking about. I recently got rid of a couple of those in an auction except the first buyer rejected them (they're horribile), the second bidder decided not to accept a Second Chance, and the third bidder bought them for five cents.

Attachments:
File comment: Broken "Startburst" built from a Distortion Demon (Pyramorphix Clone).
Parts - Starburst.JPG
Parts - Starburst.JPG [ 30.45 KiB | Viewed 10418 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:28 am 

Personally I think the majority of Pyramorphixes are pretty marginal at best, utter junk at worst. Maybe turning htem into Mastermorphixes is indeed their higher calling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:07 pm 

Superman wrote:
Are you saying that as an offer or just stating that they are available on ebay? :wink:

The Distortion Demon is the same size as the cheap mirror stickered one Jin has shown (I have both and just measured). Both are equally poor quality, but the mirrored one has a slightly sharper interior edge.

I bought my Distortion Demon at http://www.9spuzzles.com:
http://www.9spuzzles.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=90&productname=

The normal price is only $3.24 (athough shipping can be costly from China) and if you have points from previous purchases even cheaper. It even comes unstickered, which is convenient if you are using it to make mods.

http://www.cube4you.com has the same thing for about the same price.

But if you just want a few, you can't beat free plus an inflatable cat ball :)

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm 

I actually bought a cube4you one about 2 weeks ago along with some other stuff, and I got an email yesterday saying that it was just shipped, so it'll still be a while. I might even make yet another from that if I can find the time, which I will have alot of over Christmas break. And the dremel I'm getting for Christmas will help too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:57 pm 

So yeah, I'm done. Camera's dead, but I'll tell you right now that it's not that great. It's my first attempt at one and it's not bad, but the corners are uneven. That's the main thing. When I get to use the pyramorphix pieces it'll look nice. I'm going to keep this one because of it's poor quality. I suppose if anyone wants a crappy one that they can tell me, but otherwise I'm going to sell the better one when I make it. Pictures to follow. Also, apparently I stink at sticker cutting. Need to practice that also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:44 am 

If I may make a suggestion on the sticker cutting?

Take a piece of tag board, or a very heavy piece of paper or a very thin piece of cardboard (one layer).

Place the puzzle on it and make a mark where the vertices's (tips and lines where pieces turn) are on the paper.

Remove the puzzle and use a ruler to draw straight lines. From there, measure 2mm in on every face, and draw lines parallel to the original outline. Do this also for the inner pieces. Then take an exacto knife, and cut out what would be stickers on this newly made template.

From there you can lay it on top of either a sheet of adhesive vinyl or over colored plastic plates (Search up "tiles" with the author "Scott Bedard" for more information on that) and use the exacto knife again and trace the template and you should have some even stickers.

I saw this technique not too long ago, but can't remember for the life of me who did it, or for what puzzle.

I do remember, a while ago, when Tony Fisher had the "Golden Cube Construction" thread full of pictures, he had something similar. The pictures has since been removed.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:00 am 

Thanks. I use that method when I make another one. I've given up on this one because I think it's too far gone. I like it and I've solved it several times, but it's just not up to par. Also, what should I paint it with? I used search but that's not very helpful on this subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:02 am 

Superman wrote:
Also, what should I paint it with?

Paint. I use a black, acrylic (spelling?) paint. I don't really like it that much though. Can you post some pics of the puzzle completed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:11 am 

I will as soon as I can get ahold of a camera. Mine's dead so I'll charge it and post them tomorrow. Sorry! I'm really ashamed of it though. It's really hard to build the tips and I did them very hastily because I knew the other parts were uneven and I just wanted to finish so I could start over and have the pyraminx corners. I'll post pics, but please don't laugh. It's very uneven. I'll have the pictures tomorrow though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:13 am 

Superman wrote:
I'm really ashamed of it though.

COOL! I can only afford custom puzzles if they are like that! I'm sure its not that bad. I feel that the puzzles I make always look better when I take pictures of them :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:19 am 

Well it actually turns very smoothly and works just fine, it's just not very pleasing to the eye. You'll see what I mean tomorrow.

Post subject: Re: Mastermorphix (The Home Stretch)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:33 am 

I am Yang Ho Lee , cubemania site host.
Why did you use my tutorial images.
I don't allow you to use my tutorial images.
I allow my website member to use my collection images only except tutorial images.
Please delete it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:36 pm 

I am a member of your website.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:13 pm 

I believe this is the main point he was trying to get across.

lh2550 wrote:
collection images only except tutorial images.

25, Male

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:27 pm 

Ah, well if that's the case, then so be it. I was only trying to make a useful tutorial in the english language, but I'm sorry if I offended you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:49 pm 

I finally finished this about 2 months ago. I have just taken pictures of it. It turned out alot better than it started. I'm very happy with the way it turned out, but I don't think it's of high enough quality for me to sell. Sorry for the bump, but I figured that this would be better in its original post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:03 pm 

really nice work.....

by the way, those on the back of the picture are some Gigaminx stickers right.... mmmmm I think I will pm you now....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:52 am 

I made that template a while ago...and I think that its a bit off on the outer layers now that i think of it. the outside layers are thicker on the v1.

Excellent puzzle! I really want to try one of these sometime :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:50 am 

A year in the making! Great puzzle. How well does it turn?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:31 am 

flambore wrote:
A year in the making! Great puzzle. How well does it turn?

It's extremely smooth. I'll make a video of it later today. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:46 pm 

VIDEO