Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Replicating the Amorphous Cube (final prep)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:47 am 

As previously discussed we didn't have any pictures showing how the Amorphous Cube was created. Dario agreed to build another one so I can document the whole process.

But we both agreed to go a little "over the top" with the project. We're planning some special features and exotic finishes that, I suspect, no one else will ever bother with. I've spent over $200 on supplies so far and I've been experimenting.

In recent weeks I bought a bunch of different cubes for him to choose from for the core, including a variety of DIYs. To my surprise, an ordinary Rubik's 3x3 (old logo) was the optimal choice. No kidding!

But Dario was very picky about how the 3x3 core felt, so he sanded the inner surfaces by inserting 1000 grit sandpaper into the cracks and turning the cube. When all the snags were eliminated and all the slices "felt" the same, he scrambled the cube and repeated the sanding until the whole cube was consistent. He lubed it lightly with teflon. This is all optional.

After removing the stickers, Dario scuffed the exterior surface with very rough sandpaper so the Bondo will adhere. Not strictly necessary, but recommended.

Bondo doesn't stick to plastic-coated playing cards, so Dario cut cards and inserted them in the cracks to keep the cubies isolated from each other. He tried to arrange it so the cards would only meet along their original edges, not along scissor cuts. When several cubies were adequately isolated he mixed up enough Bondo to cover 3 or 4 of them at a time. He carefully straightened the cards until the Bondo was firm enough to hold its shape, then mixed up another batch and covered some more cubies.

After one side of the cube had been covered in Bondo we set it aside until it hardened. Then we pulled out the cards and did another side using new ones. (Bondo may stick if you re-use them.) We repeated this until the whole cube looked like an irregular softball!

Unfortunately one of the batches of Bondo stayed tacky, so we weren't able to remove all the cards yet. We decided to leave it overnight and continue tomorrow.

Pictures below...

Attachments:
File comment: Dario sanded the interior of the cube by shoving fine sandpaper into the cracks and turning the cube. Instant break-in!
Amorph01.jpg
Amorph01.jpg [ 35.34 KiB | Viewed 5577 times ]
File comment: The surface of the cube is sanded roughly so the Bondo will adhere firmly.
Amorph02.jpg
Amorph02.jpg [ 57.27 KiB | Viewed 5611 times ]
File comment: Cut notches so the cards can be inserted into the cracks without being blocked by the interior core of the cube. Notice how the center cubie has been ingeniously isolated by four cards in a "fan" arrangement.
Amorph03.jpg
Amorph03.jpg [ 36.56 KiB | Viewed 5576 times ]
File comment: Bondo is applied to each cubie independently. The cards keep the cubies isolated from each other.
Amorph04.jpg
Amorph04.jpg [ 47.49 KiB | Viewed 5578 times ]
File comment: It is critically important to keep the cards as straight as possible before the Bondo cures. If the cracks aren't perfectly straight the finished pieces will bump into each other.
Amorph05.jpg
Amorph05.jpg [ 52.42 KiB | Viewed 5578 times ]
File comment: There's a 3x3x3 cube in the middle of all that gunk! But the slices are still free to turn, thanks to the cards between them. The uncured section still has cards in place.
Amorph06.jpg
Amorph06.jpg [ 33.64 KiB | Viewed 5575 times ]

Last edited by VeryWetPaint on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:53 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:12 pm 

The part where you said "Instant break-in" with the sandpaper in the cracks and turning the cube, I was wondering if that would work with any size cube like a 4x4, 5x5, or a Wal-Mart cube. I haven't tried that thing with the WD-40 yet so I was wondering if this would be better and faster. viewtopic.php?p=75565 Thanks

Adam

Void Cube
| avg of 12: 32.10
| PB : 22.92 np PLL skip
| PB2 : 26.75 np no skips

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:10 pm 

ferrari wrote:
YOu mentioned you used Bonde, did you have to wear a gas mask? I think I heard Bondo is pretty bad for you to breathe in.

Ordinary "Body Filler" Bondo just requires good ventilation, nothing particularly special. Other Bondo formulations might require more protection.

I'm also working with catalyst-cured paints and finishes that do require a respirator, goggles, and chemical gloves. But you wouldn't ordinarily need such nasty stuff to build an Amorphous Cube.

fusion wrote:
The part where you said "Instant break-in" with the sandpaper in the cracks and turning the cube, I was wondering if that would work with any size cube like a 4x4, 5x5, or a Wal-Mart cube. I haven't tried that thing with the WD-40 yet so I was wondering if this would be better and faster. viewtopic.php?p=75565 Thanks

Adam

I don't know if it'd work with other cubes, and I haven't tried it. But the 5x5 has so many hidden layers that I doubt you could get the sandpaper into the right places.

Dario just instinctively sanded the 3x3 this way and it yielded amazing results. He might have a special touch, though! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:56 pm 

Day Two

Dario decided that the Bondo wasn't mixed properly on those cubies that stayed "tacky" so he cleaned it off and re-did those ones last night.

Today all the Bondo was firmly cured. All the layers could be turned, although it was a bit tight in some places. Dario sawed the faces down into an irregular cube shape. He looked at the shape that was emerging after each cut and sometimes moved the cubies around to make the shape more interesting.

Once the major cutting was finished he used a sanding wheel to refine the overall shape and cut away blemishes. Some of the cubies had been cut open so he filled them with Bondo. Once the new Bondo was cured he used the sanding wheel again to get all the edges flush.

The seam between two cubies wasn't straight enough so we took those two out, sanded one of them down, and filled out the other one with Bondo.

We disassembled the cube and cleaned the innards. We trimmed any Bondo that extended over the edge of any cubie. And we rounded the internal edges where four cubies come together so they won't snag on each other. There was a lot of tedious sanding, rubbing, and trimming.

Finally it was a real puzzle to put the thing back together again. This took a while!

The cube isn't nearly finished, but I took it home tonight to try it out and test how well the shape works. We'll make some adjustments before smoothing it out and finishing it.

Pictures below...

Attachments:
File comment: The cube is barely recognizable with all the Bondo covering everything. But the playing cards kept the cubies separated so it's possible to turn the slice.
Amorph11.jpg
Amorph11.jpg [ 39.33 KiB | Viewed 5438 times ]
File comment: It was hard to keep the puzzle stable for the first cut. It gets easier once there are some flat sides.
Amorph12.jpg
Amorph12.jpg [ 40.87 KiB | Viewed 5436 times ]
File comment: A crude first-impression of the newly-carved cube. Some of the cubies were cut open during the sawing.
Amorph13.jpg
Amorph13.jpg [ 34.5 KiB | Viewed 5437 times ]
File comment: Dario filled the cubies that had been cut open. Later he will add a thin veneer of Bondo so there won't be any exposed plastic. Two other cubies have been removed to sand and re-fill the crack between them.
Amorph14.jpg
Amorph14.jpg [ 41.74 KiB | Viewed 5441 times ]
File comment: After the open cubies had been filled Dario sanded them smooth again, as well as refining the rest of the cube. He cleaned away the debris with a BBQ grill brush!
Amorph15.jpg
Amorph15.jpg [ 44.27 KiB | Viewed 5437 times ]
File comment: The disassembled cubies warrant a lot of cleaning, trimming, and fine-tuning.
Amorph16.jpg
Amorph16.jpg [ 41.53 KiB | Viewed 5438 times ]
File comment: Make sure the Bondo doesn't stick out beyond the plastic surface of the cubies. It's also helpful to round the edge where four cubies meet so they won't snag on each other. Don't round the outer edges, though!
Amorph17.jpg
Amorph17.jpg [ 41.1 KiB | Viewed 5435 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:04 pm 

HAH! I know what you look like now! Lol. Great job on it VWP! Can't wait to see it done.

Edit: Woops didn't read the description on the picture.

4x4x4 . . . PB: 1:11.32 Avg: 1:27
5x5x5 . . . PB: 2:26.47 Avg: 2:36.04
Pyraminx . PB: 4.18 Avg: 8.43

Last edited by Siraj A. on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:09 pm 

sirajali05 wrote:
HAH! I know what you look like now! Lol. Great job on it VWP! Can't wait to see it done.

Well, you know what Dario looks like! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:41 pm 

joey wrote:
sirajali05 wrote:

Well, you know what Dario looks like! :)
On rare occasions, VWP has revealed what he looks like. One time, for a very short period, he placed a picture of himself with very spiffy sideburns. Knowing this was a rare opportunity, saved the picture. :P

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:11 pm 

I gotto make one of those one day! the puzzle attracted me from day one I saw it! where to get Bondo tho?

so did anyone came up with some algs to fix the center orientation?

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:17 pm 

Doubleyou wrote:
I gotto make one of those one day! the puzzle attracted me from day one I saw it! where to get Bondo tho?

so did anyone came up with some algs to fix the center orientation?
There are many threads with algorithms for that. It's been discussed (not always for this puzzle) many times.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:37 pm 

wow looking good! best of look to your finished product. it'll be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:37 am 

Day Three

I've been scrambling and solving it repeatedly searching for bad spots and marking them. I've also been trying to optimize decoy matches, since that's one of the most unique features of solving an Amorphous cube.

Dario took the cube home with him tonight so he can adjust the contours, smooth out the scratches, and fill the tiny holes. I will check it again tomorrow. When we're both satisfied with the shape we will finish it with color-shifting paint and an amazing "soft" resin finish that feels velvety like suede.

While Dario works on the cube at his house, I'm testing the color shifting paint and soft finish on a test cube. He carved the test cube out of Bondo and designed it to look like a six-sided die. The soft finish feels amazing to the touch.

Caution: I encourage others to build the Amorphous Cube, but I am not promoting or teaching how to use these exotic finishes, especially the 3-part catalyst cured resin. They contain toxic ingredients that can be absorbed through the skin, and the airborne spray is extremely hazardous. Unless you have appropriate equipment please stick with Krylon or Rust-Oleum. They make good paints too!

Attachments:
File comment: This cubie shows excessive rubbing after just a few hours use. This needs to be sanded down to prevent damage to the paint after the cube is finished.
Amorph21.jpg
Amorph21.jpg [ 24.69 KiB | Viewed 5298 times ]
File comment: The plastic is currently exposed in some places, but Dario intends to cover it with a thin veneer of Bondo so the finish will be consistent. Later we'll fill the dents and remove the scratches.
Amorph22.jpg
Amorph22.jpg [ 34.9 KiB | Viewed 5299 times ]
File comment: Here's the scrambled cube. The yellow tabs identify some places that warrant adjustments.
Amorph23.jpg
Amorph23.jpg [ 44.42 KiB | Viewed 5295 times ]
File comment: Pipetting the components for the soft-feel resin finish. Yes, it's very sensible to wear goggles, solvent gloves, and a chemical respirator when working with this stuff.
Amorph24.jpg
Amorph24.jpg [ 50.35 KiB | Viewed 5977 times ]
File comment: TEST OBJECT: This test cube demonstrates the color-shifting paint and soft-feel resin finish we'll be using on the Amorphous Cube. This picture shows how the finish looks blue when the light comes from behind the cube.
Amorph25.jpg
Amorph25.jpg [ 23.65 KiB | Viewed 5295 times ]
File comment: TEST OBJECT: The test cube turns green when photographed with a flash because the light is coming from the direction the cube is being viewed.
Amorph26.jpg
Amorph26.jpg [ 23.95 KiB | Viewed 5295 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:20 am 

Wow, very nice work. I can't wait for the final project to be finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:29 am 

Wow thanks VWP...for a while we were corresponding as I tried to make one of these. It's very helpful to see all the photos this time. It really shows how indepth and time-consuming this actually is. The first postings seemed like it was something Dario just threw together in some spare time lol.

I was curious in the first photographs it appears that one of the cubies is actually bisected to insert a card. Is that what you mean by "notch"?

I'm relieved to know that my crude prototypes at least resembled Dario's. I have been thinking of trying a very small simple version of this with a 2x2 ice cube (primarily because I hate that puzzle and don't mind having to possibly scrap it). Has anyone done that yet as far as you (or anyone else for that matter) know?

Again, great work. The dice are cool too just as fun little trinkets. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:12 pm 

deathrisingup wrote:
Wow thanks VWP...for a while we were corresponding as I tried to make one of these. It's very helpful to see all the photos this time. It really shows how indepth and time-consuming this actually is. The first postings seemed like it was something Dario just threw together in some spare time lol.

Dario did build the first one over a single weekend, but he originally left the shape to pure luck. This time we're spending a lot of extra time trying to build the "perfect" example of an Amorphous Cube, making sure it has all the unique details and giving it a refined finish. Dario is also incorporating a secret "surprise feature" which I cannot disclose.

Last night he sanded the cube really smooth and covered all the exposed plastic. He also contoured it so it can stand on one corner! (He'd been planning that all along, but it's amazing how well it worked.) Sorry I don't have any pictures yet, but I'll post some later. It looks really good even though it's still just plain Bondo.

deathrisingup wrote:
I was curious in the first photographs it appears that one of the cubies is actually bisected to insert a card. Is that what you mean by "notch"?

Ah, you must mean this picture:

That's apparently just an optical illusion: the card has a corner cut out of it but it hadn't been inserted into the cube yet. Dario was checking to see if he'd cut enough of the card properly. When he pushed the cube into the notch in the card there was about a quarter inch between it and the adjacent cards. So when he inserted it into the crack (as shown below) it only had to go about a quarter inch inside the cube.

Luckily I have a picture of that same card a few seconds later, after it's been inserted. You can also see some card scraps lying in the table.

Attachments:
Amorph07.jpg
Amorph07.jpg [ 61.82 KiB | Viewed 5212 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:45 pm 

Do you think that it would be possible to bandage the puzzle while the cards are in it and then extend it, making a bandaged Amorphous Cube? Just an idea. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see the final finish of the puzzle, espessially the paint job. :D

Monday Contest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:59 am 

Caleb wrote:
Do you think that it would be possible to bandage the puzzle while the cards are in it and then extend it, making a bandaged Amorphous Cube? Just an idea. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see the final finish of the puzzle, espessially the paint job. :D

Yes, I imagine it would be trivial. Bondo is very strong so you could probably just leave out the cards between any cubies you wanted to bond together.

Day four

Okay, I admit the reason it's taking this long is that we're nit-picking all sorts of tiny details. I think it's worth the extra effort, but the cube would be perfectly okay without all these crazy little adjustments we've been doing. Or maybe we're not so crazy. The cube is growing charmingly irresistible with each pass, despite its unpainted condition. Honestly it's admired by everyone who touches it, even people who despise puzzles.

Last night Dario covered all the remaining plastic so the black core isn't exposed any more. He filled all the holes and sanded out all the scratches, although the sanding exposed a few new holes! That's typical of working with Bondo: you fill, then sand, then fill again, then sand again.

This afternoon I mapped out the cube's new contours. The original cube (I'll call it "Morpho 1") had some "decoy" matches that affected corner placement, but this one has some "decoy" edge placements. This poses a far more interesting challenge because one of the false placements has even parity (mod 2) so the cube seems solvable yet mysteriously won't solve until you locate the misplaced pieces. And it may or may not happen, just by chance. Very cool! 8-)

Dario has custody of it again tonight, so I suspect he's planning to fill the tiny holes that still remain.

Attachments:
File comment: The repeated sanding and contouring is paying off! Despite the odd shape, the surface lines up perfectly when the cube is solved. Even so, the latest sanding has exposed some new, small holes. We will probably fill these and sand them again.
Amorph31.jpg
Amorph31.jpg [ 33.97 KiB | Viewed 5136 times ]
File comment: The black plastic core had originally been exposed where deep cuts sawed into the cubies. Dario covered them with a thin veneer of Bondo, as is visible when the slices are turned slightly.
Amorph32.jpg
Amorph32.jpg [ 31.19 KiB | Viewed 5136 times ]
File comment: I marked various locations with letters while solving, keeping notes of what they meant. I think this cube will pose some new situations not posed by "Morpho 1."
Amorph33.jpg
Amorph33.jpg [ 38.16 KiB | Viewed 5134 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:56 pm 

do you think you could archive a result any near as good as yous using Superfine White Miliput? I cant really find anyone near me selling Bondo. I tried various car workshops and they did have it, but not for sale :(
I wanna build this puzzle too! if I may? :)

day4 comments: Very VERY nice looking for now (looks of quality)!
although I still miss that those tiny holes are filled to complete the surface. I am sure this will be taken care of, and once the cube gets that CRAZY btw. color it will be a perfect 3x3x3 puzzle imo!

cant wait for the final result!

EDIT!

question: now that you have spent so much time creating such a perfect example, couldnt you 'just' mold them and mass produce? I am sure we are many that would buy an 'Original' version - by the creator!

people can make one themselves and create unique versions, but it takes alot of work. I could surely spend the money on a finished puzzle like this!

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:51 am 

Doubleyou wrote:
do you think you could archive a result any near as good as yous using Superfine White Miliput? I cant really find anyone near me selling Bondo. I tried various car workshops and they did have it, but not for sale :(

I think you could use Miliput, Magic Sculpt, or another material.

Bondo's principal advantage is that it's thixotropic, so agitation causes it to flow into the cracks and mold itself to the cube. I found Bondo in the auto section of my local department store, but I think it's commonly found at dedicated automotive stores.

It wouldn't be easy to mold Magic Sculpt (or Miliput) tightly around the cube, and it might not adhere to the cube. But you could probably glue the pieces after molding them, and it would probably be easier to sculpt the shape than Bondo. Give it a try, and let us know how it works!

Doubleyou wrote:
question: now that you have spent so much time creating such a perfect example, couldnt you 'just' mold them and mass produce? I am sure we are many that would buy an 'Original' version - by the creator!

people can make one themselves and create unique versions, but it takes alot of work. I could surely spend the money on a finished puzzle like this!

A nice suggestion, but it would require yet another new skill: mold-making. I'm certainly not ready for that skill yet, and Dario is concentrating his efforts on craftsmanship rather than mass-production. But maybe your idea of using Miliput would aid in replicating the cube: if the Miliput extensions could be broken free of the cube they could be molded and cast, and the duplicate pieces could be glued to another core to create duplicate cubes.

I'd like to see a few more examples of Amorphous Cubes built before trying to define the ideal example of the Amorphous family. We'd certainly encourage you to try your hand at it!

It may seem like a lot of work, but we're fussing over workmanship more than functional issues at this point. An Amorphous Cube would be perfectly adequate with tiny holes, surface blemishes, a plain finish, scratches, and gaps.

Update Day 5

The shape is pretty much settled, but I have to admit the project isn't going to be instantly finished as I had originally thought. As the cube gets more refined, Dario keeps finding new details to improve. And I agree with him, considering how much time we've already spent on such details.

We've also observed durability problems with one of the "test objects" we created earlier. The issue wasn't too severe, but we don't want to take any risks. We decied to allow 2-3 days between applying the heterogeneous finishes, meaning that painting will probably require 9 more days...!

Attachments:
File comment: All but the tiniest holes have been filled, but now Dario has noticed how some cracks are wider than others. Next he wants to make them more consistent, and reduce the widest gaps.
Amorph41.JPG
Amorph41.JPG [ 14.48 KiB | Viewed 5025 times ]
File comment: One of the corners has been carefully shaped so the cube will balance on it. The cube looks spectacular when it "stands on a corner" like this.
Amorph42.JPG
Amorph42.JPG [ 18.75 KiB | Viewed 5025 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:04 pm 

The color-changing paint is going to look awesome on that. It will really match the curvy appearence of the puzzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:32 pm 

This puzzle is amazing. From the pictures you have posted, it seems to me this will come out as an amazing mod, that almost look like an extremely well polished stone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:46 pm 

So what happened with the Amorphous Cube??.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:48 pm 

this is an amazing puzzle. the same concept would work on higher order puzzles, but it would be near impossible to distinguish some of the inner pieces without covering the cube in bumps and dips. a fused cube edition would be amazing and i think rather plausible if you were careful about how you extend some of the pieces.

thank you for the inspiration, i might try starting my own this weekend

btw, how much sand paper have you used?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:17 pm 

QUINBLZ wrote:
this is an amazing puzzle. the same concept would work on higher order puzzles, but it would be near impossible to distinguish some of the inner pieces without covering the cube in bumps and dips. a fused cube edition would be amazing and i think rather plausible if you were careful about how you extend some of the pieces.

thank you for the inspiration, i might try starting my own this weekend

btw, how much sand paper have you used?

This time we didn't need so much tedious sanding due to the Dremel Flapwheel attachment. The sandpaper flaps carved the cube into shape in a fraction of the time it would've taken with sandpaper. (Honestly, I didn't expect it to work so well!)

There's still a lot of finish sanding, but we used another great time saver 3M's Sandblaster Flexible Sanding Pad and Flexible Finishing Pad. This also surprised me because it doesn't look like you're getting much for your money. But the pads are faster, more comfortable, and longer-lasting than ordinary sandpaper.

Sorry if that sounds like an advertisement!

We've temporarily put the project on hold until after the US holidays, so we'll probably resume next week. In the meantime I'm working on a possible badge or logo we could embed in the cube somewhere, preferably inside a slice so it'll be hidden when the cube is solved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:39 pm 

It's been some time (5 days) since the US holiday. I'm wondering if this project will remain on the back burner, or will you be tinkering with it some more?

I'm really intrigued by the paint.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:01 pm 

I see which inflatable cat ball you're talking about! It's in a picture up there! Have you had time to send the starburst corners?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:41 pm 

Superman wrote:
I see which inflatable cat ball you're talking about! It's in a picture up there! Have you had time to send the starburst corners?

I'm glad someone caught that. The ball just happened to be nearby so I included it in the picture for fun.

I had already sent you a PM about the Starburst an hour ago but your inbox seems to be full. Go to your list of private messages and you'll probably see a message at the bottom that says "Your inbox is 100% full." You need to delete old messages now and then or they won't get through. (You may need to delete messages in your "sentbox" too.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:29 pm 

ive decided im gona have to try my hand at one of these in a couple weekends, probably after exams. thanks for the inspiration

:edit: what type of paint are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:13 pm 

QUINBLZ wrote:
:edit: what type of paint are you using?

The paint I was talking about in this post is a black basecoat with ALSA Blue/Emerald SpectraFX to provide the color shift and ALSA Soft Feeling Paint for a nice tactile feel and (surprisingly) durability.

We're just using this project as an excuse to experiment with these amazing finishes. The original Amorphous Cube came out very nicely with Rust-Oleum "Hammered" paint. It doesn't need stickers so you can be as creative as you want!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:28 pm 

Sorry to post this again, but you seemed to skip over my post.

What's the progress on the puzzle?

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:52 am 

Noah wrote:
Sorry to post this again, but you seemed to skip over my post.

What's the progress on the puzzle?

Oops, I got sidetracked trying to figure out why my PM hadn't gotten through to Superman.

Yes the project is active again, but we're advancing more slowly now because we have a few custom things we want to do, and they have to be done carefully.

Logo "badge"

We both wanted to put a logo somewhere, but we didn't want any markings on the outside of the solved cube. So we decided to put it on an interior side of a corner cubie where it's only visible by partly-turning an outside slice.

So we're going to cut the inset for the badge before painting the cube, but we'll install the badge after painting. I'll post a picture of the "badge" as soon as I've constructed it.

Paints

Dario built a pair of "dice" out of Bondo for testing the finishes, and one of them had a minor problem because the black basecoats weren't timed optimally. It withstood a lot of abuse, but a piece of paint flaked off during a torture test because the black coats hadn't knitted together. We intend to avoid this by allowing proper "flash off" between coats.

So I'm guessing we'll do painting gradually over several days.

Attachments:
File comment: TEST OBJECT: See the dark spot in the middle? A bit of paint flaked off during a torture test because the black basecoat didn't perfectly adhere. It took a lot of punishment, but we want the final cube to be as durable as possible.
Amorph27.jpg
Amorph27.jpg [ 49.82 KiB | Viewed 4487 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:22 am 

I know the dice were made for just testing the paint on Bondo, but I think you could make money off of selling dice like that. Its super awesome looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:52 pm 

Rae wrote:
I know the dice were made for just testing the paint on Bondo, but I think you could make money off of selling dice like that. Its super awesome looking.

They were conceived for testing, but Dario put plenty of care into the dice so they'd be perfectly shaped and balanced. They are very nice indeed. Most people who've handled them want to keep them!

But they're probably bigger than you think. Here's a picture with an ordinary 3x3x3 cube for scale...!

Attachments:
File comment: Dice with a cube for scale.
Amorph44.JPG
Amorph44.JPG [ 23.52 KiB | Viewed 4403 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:02 am 

I prefer tiny dice, but for those beauties, I'd gladly make an exception.

Can't wait to see the Amorphous Cube to be finished with that coating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:49 am 

They would look nice dangling from my rear view mirror.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:08 am 

wow... those are really big. what brand is the paint?
edit: sorry, didnt see the response. thank you for the help