Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Puzzle News from Mefferts
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:20 pm 

Hi All!

This is Uwe Meffert, first time to visit your forum, as I am 15 hours ahead from LA I will only see your response questions, if any tomorrow. I just brought back the Skewb with original fluorescent labels as well as the Skewb Ultimate and Pyraminx. In case that you did not receive my info via our mailing list on September 10th and 15th. please go to my website http://www.mefferts.com and click on the “News” icon on the bottom left of the HP for full details.

I am now working on the next 12 color tiles Megaminx Production run for Xmas, which will be closely followed by the “Pyraminx Crystal” as featured in my 1982 catalogue. Other exiting puzzles such as Tony Fishers “Golden cube” and “Meyers Pyramid” are planned for early next year.

Now I like to ask all of you speed-cubist, which is the best lubricant? I want to include a small tube with all of my assembly puzzles in the future. For this you can email me direct on mefferts@gmail.com.

I wish you all Happy Puzzling!
Uwe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:24 pm 

i love you so much. thank you so much for mass producing amazing custom mods by tony fisher as well as yourself. thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NAR: Master Magic
Average = 2.75
Single = 2.63

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:25 pm 

:D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pyraminx Crystal, Golden Cube, Halpern-Meier Pyramid! Also people are saying that if you order the skewb with tiles, you still recieve a skewb with flourescent labels anyway. Is that true because I just order a tiled skewb! And Im not sure about the lubricant I just use silicone spray.

4x4x4 . . . PB: 1:11.32 Avg: 1:27
5x5x5 . . . PB: 2:26.47 Avg: 2:36.04
Pyraminx . PB: 4.18 Avg: 8.43

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:28 pm 

Uwe im going to make sweet love with you> [Censored. Please see rules!] I SCORED ONE WITH THE PYRAMINX CRYSTAL. BUT THE GOLDEN CUBE omg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:30 pm 

Im buying all 3 of those when they come out. Too bad I JUST bought a megaminx. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:30 pm 
OH MY GOD THAT IS THE BEST POST I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!! as for lubricant, I use something called pure silicon I got at a hardware store. According to the bottle it is made up of: Propane, tetracholroethylene, acetone, heptane, hydrocarbon solvent, and dimethylsiloxane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:32 pm 

i heard hydrocarbon was bad for cubes... or was that very good? i forget.

NAR: Master Magic
Average = 2.75
Single = 2.63

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:33 pm 

I really hope this isn't a scam of some sort! I would love to get my hands on a Pyraminx Crystal, it is one of my favourite puzzles!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:34 pm 

I go to do homework and i miss this... Awesome news!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:38 pm 

Either this is beyond amazing or a cruel sick joke.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:38 pm 

ZOMG PUZZLES!

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:41 pm 

emr1028 wrote:
OH MY GOD THAT IS THE BEST POST I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!! as for lubricant, I use something called pure silicon I got at a hardware store. According to the bottle it is made up of: Propane, tetracholroethylene, acetone, heptane, hydrocarbon solvent, and dimethylsiloxane

It may seem like the best to you now but wait till you find out i have to chose between your evil twin and mefferts puzzles.

Hard decision on my half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:45 pm 
i'd prefer for my twin not to get sold and mefferts to come out with those puzzles over the other way around

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:49 pm 

If you dont want your twin sold then why did you put it up on ebay/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:49 pm 

emr1028 wrote:
and mefferts to come out with those puzzles over the other way around

Sorry i honestly dont understand this part. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:50 pm 
you misread my post. I do want it sold, but if for whatever reason meffert decided that if I wanted the puzzles to come out i needed to remove the auction, I would remove it immediately. Basicly bluepen said that I wouldn't be so happy about this post because now he may not be able to bid on my auction, and I replied by saying this is more important to me than the auction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:54 pm 
Anyway back on topic, I think you should have some type of pre-ordering system so we don't need to do anything once the puzzles come out, because I'm assuming that when they do, the site will see massive traffic and huge amounts of buyers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:04 pm 

crap, i just BUILT a skewb tetrahedron, lol... regardless, YAY.

thank you VERY VERY much. i've dreamt of this day.

Last edited by p|astic on Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:21 pm 

I need to get some money fast. That is hella awesome news btw. For lubricant either shine up or what i use is 3 in 1 silicone spray. That is awesome news though.

*passes out*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:22 pm 

Let me first say sorry for my little lie in the Skewb Ultimate thread. I didn't know that Uwe was going to announce the new puzzles at this time. I was not in a position to confirm that he was indeed making one of mine.
For those who can't wait I will auction one of my remaining full sized Tetrahedrons this coming week. I believe his will be based on the mini Skewb mechanism. I thought it inappropriate to auction mine sooner since I knew a factory made version was coming out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:26 pm 
Tony Fisher wrote:
Let me first say sorry for my little lie in the Skewb Ultimate thread. I didn't know that Uwe was going to announce the new puzzles at this time. I was not in a position to confirm that he was indeed making one of mine.
For those who can't wait I will auction one of my remaining full sized Tetrahedrons this coming week. I believe his will be based on the mini Skewb mechanism. I thought it inappropriate to auction mine sooner since I knew a factory made version was coming out.

haha i knew that I was right. It just seemed way to suspicious that he announces that there will be exciting new puzzles right after we knew there was some contact between you and uwe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:29 pm 

p|astic wrote:
crap, i just BUILT a skewb tetrahedron, lol... regardless, YAY
Well, in my opinion, hand made puzzles will always have a one up on production puzzles.

For example, the Golden Cube. You can brag that you have a production one, but if you have an ORIGINAL hand made by the creator himself, it has much more bragging value.

Or Dogics. Originals are worth much more than the production versions.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:31 pm 

WOW!!! This is really exciting news....

Tony,

I do still want a Golden Cube made by you though ;)

I believe I was the last one who won Tony's Tetrahedrons. So anyone bidding on it, will be very pleased with the work (as always).

Hmmm, I wonder how the Pyraminx Crystal would be made and what kind of mechanism. Wasn't Aleh's made a bit different, hence the different name used?

*drools* Wow, Meffert's will have a lot more traffic/business in the upcoming months. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:41 pm 

Tony: What is the deal with the Golden Cube being produced? Will it be an exact replica, or one which is slightly different in some way, to differentiate from the original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:03 pm 

Think we should make Pantazis order last?

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:05 pm 
yes! mefferts block his ip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:10 pm 

reeeech wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder how the Pyraminx Crystal would be made and what kind of mechanism. Wasn't Aleh's made a bit different, hence the different name used?

I don't think Meffert ever had a set mechanism for his, just a concept and a name.

Then in 2005 Katsuhiko Okamoto made the Mega Crystal. He changed the name in respect to Meffert just in case it would infringe on some sort of copywrite.

When Aleh made it, I believe the same way as Katsuhiko Okamoto, he originally has it called Pyraminx Crystal, but when Okamoto mentioned that Meffert already had "dibs" on the name, Aleh renamed his Brilic.

This is at least what I got out of the situation I believe.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:11 pm 

Pembo wrote:
Think we should make Pantazis order last?

No, let's be a bit more scientific about it. We should all watch the web site carefully while Pantazis places his order and take note of any anomalies that occur.

Of course, the scientific method dictates that we should also monitor the website while Blackmetalcubist places his order, just for reference. If Hong Kong breaks down, we'll know whom to blame!

On topic: Tony Fisher did the right thing by fibbing about Mefferts' upcoming puzzles. He was not in a position to reveal Mefferts' business plans, and just saying "no comment" would've fueled speculation and rumor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:15 pm 

Just out of curiosity, was anybody upset by Tony's little lie? I feel like we keep bringing it up justifying what he did like someone had been bothered by it, but I don't think anyone had a problem with it.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:15 pm 

Noah,

That's kinda what I meant! :P

I knew Meffert's was a cardboard mockup (there's the thread about it here somewhere). But between Okamoto and Aleh's - which one will be used, or will Meffert have his own mech?

----

I wasn't bother by Tony's statements. He may just have been in an awkward situation, ya know? He just didn't want to reveal anything that wasn't his to begin with, nor did he want to ruin an announcement that would be a big surprise to all of us!

Besides, wouldn't it have just been better to hear it from the 'horse's' mouth? (Meaning from Uwe Meffert himself?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:33 pm 

Thank you Uwe Meffert for making so many people's dream a reality.

An thank you to the other people involved too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:34 pm 

Noah wrote:
Just out of curiosity, was anybody upset by Tony's little lie? I feel like we keep bringing it up justifying what he did like someone had been bothered by it, but I don't think anyone had a problem with it.

We thought Tony was bothered by it.

We don't want it to bother him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:00 pm 

Wow, at first I read this and was amazed, then as I was reading I thought this may be someone pullling a bad prank, then i was amazed again because we had word from Tony Fisher that this was the real deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:01 pm 

Well well... this does sound promising, but I have my doubts. I know, some of you are probably groaning and thinking "Oh no. here we go again..." There's 2 things about this message which strike me as odd. First, there's the reference to the "Meyers Pyramid". Why would Uwe, who's been in the industry for more than 80% of my lifetime with a well deserved reputation for quality and accuracy in everything he produces, refer to a puzzle by an incorrect name (it should be the "Halpern-Meier" Pyramid)? Also, why would his e-mail address be mefferts@gmail.com, when he has plenty of e-mail addresses at his own domain name, mefferts.com? While Mr. Fisher's comments add to the likelihood of this being the real deal (why would he want to work to destroy his own reputation as well if this wasn't legit?), I believe caution is in order here. I just sent off a message to Uwe requesting clarification on this, including a promise to buy at least 2 of these puzzles when they're released, regardless of personal finances at the time if this is legit. As much as I really want to believe that it is, I'm going to hold off on doing the Dance of Joy until I hear back from him, one way or the other. L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:08 pm 

Dude go to the site he has it announced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:11 pm 

Sweet news !!! I now putting some money in a safe place until Xmas.
Thanks Meffert's for producing crazy puzzles like this :P:P:P
Also thanks Tony for making it !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:12 pm 

Uh... where? I just went to the news section and only saw mention of the Pyraminx, Skewb and Skewb Ultimate in display boxes. There's nothing there about the Megaminx Crystal, Golden Cube or Halpern-Meier Pyramid that I could see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:14 pm 

lol, read carefully ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:21 pm 

Done. Here's the closest thing I can find on that page... "The Skewb Ultimate, Skewb cube and Pyraminx with the original fluorescent labels in a full color display box will be available now from September 14th. The Megaminx production has been scheduled and will be available for Xmas. I am also working on a couple of new exiting puzzles which will be released by the years end, but their identities must remain a secret for now."

I even did a search for "crystal", "golden", "halpern", "meier" and "meyers" on the site just to be sure, and came up with nothing. If you found it elsewhere, please point out the path you followed, as I'd love to get official confirmation that this is the genuine article. Quite frankly, nothing could be more genuine than a posting right on his own web page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:28 pm 

Yes, there's nothing on his webpage about those puzzles. I too was hesitant about the account (was it fake or not). But given the fact that Tony posted that said Meffert's was in talks about the Golden Cube means either: 1) It's genuine or 2) The fake account is owned by Tony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:31 pm 

I think that it's not a fake, Tony wouldn't do that and I some of us put large price on his auctions, I don't see why he could do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:35 pm 
if this is somebody's idea of a joke they should be banned from the forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:36 pm 

If it is fake (I must say mefferts@gmail.com sounds a bit shady to me) then Tony is in on the 'joke'. And he promised not to tell any more lies, after the '9x9x9 incident'. So I'm sure it's true.

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:49 pm 

I can certainly confirm that what Uwe says is true. I hope his email address is genuine since I just directed a paypal payment to it! (In fact I know it's genuine)
I am reluctant to answer additional questions since these projects are his plus I don't actually know that much. What I can say though is the Golden Cube will be slightly different to mine and that there are no plans to make any of my other puzzles. I will continue making new ones as usual.
I regret that my hoax has caused so much scepticism on this forum.

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:51 pm 
i suppose i believe you tony (the fact that he said meyers pyramid instead of haplern-meier is a bit odd,) but if you say you know for a fact it's the real email then i believe you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:06 pm 

This would be too big a joke to play. The 9x9 was okay because it wasn't being offered as mass production puzzle that we could all buy, where Mefferts is offering mass produced puzzles here and Tony is backing it. I trust Tony on this one, despite my dislike for his 9x9 hoax, but the mefferts@gmail.com is a little shady.

Either way, I have my fork ready to dig into my humble pie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:07 pm 

Hey Pembo what does fahr'n mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:08 pm 

Tony, I don't think you're behind the fake account. I was just pointing out that combined with your message, it eliminates the possibility of some third person just messing with us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:10 pm 

Drive.

Or that might be a hoax too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:12 pm 

Ok now it makes sense. So I guess it translates to 'We Drive Drive Drive on the Motorway'?