Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Do you have interest in buying a BioHazard puzzle?
Poll ended at Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:47 pm
Yes, for $100 or less 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Yes, for $75 or less 23%  23%  [ 9 ]
Yes, for $50 or less 51%  51%  [ 20 ]
No thanks 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 39
 Post subject: BioHazard puzzle pricing survey
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:47 pm 

My design of the BioHazard puzzle is basically complete.

See this thread on the Puzzle Building forum for more information about it:
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7606

I am wondering how many to make and how to price them and I was hoping to get a bit of help from the list.

One option is to make just a few and auction them on eBay but there seems enough interest for me to make more than that and offer them at a fixed price. With enough interest, a DIY option may make sense as well.

If you would be so kind, here is how you can help:
Let me know if you have interest in buying one, and at what price. The Puzzle Building thread showed a number of people were interested, but knowing at what price level is important too.

This poll has price ranges, but there are a few bits of information that would help me that didn't fit into the poll format:

1.) What are your thoughts on a DIY version (at a reduced price)?

2.) What are your thoughts on packaging? Is it worth making the puzzle more expensive? Unlike most cubical puzzles, there is no pre-made box I can find that fits this shape very well.

3.) Is there a specific price you think is right for this puzzle? I left the categories broad.

Thanks very much, and I hope to be able to set the price and have them ready for sale in the next few weeks or sooner.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:58 pm 

Hmmm,

Maybe not all would be able to afford that price?

But for a first run of to get the whole thing going before being mass mass produced - I'd pay $75 for it.

DIY would be awesome... But how much cheaper would it be? I'd think it might be more - due to packaging. Getting all the materials together and packaged, plus instructions?

As for a box - collectors may want this! Think about all the times Georges bid on something because of the box itself! ;)

---

btw - not sure if you mentioned it, but how much is does one puzzle cost to make? Hopefully, not $75.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:01 pm 

DIY, now would it just be screws, or would you have to do some gluing? If it's just screws, then yes.

Packaging, personally I wouldn't want it. It's be just bulky and the extra cost wouldn't be worth it.

PS. My vote for 50 or under was chosen because I think 50 would be a good price.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:11 pm 

reeeech wrote:
Hmmm,

Maybe not all would be able to afford that price?

But for a first run of to get the whole thing going before being mass mass produced - I'd pay $75 for it.

DIY would be awesome... But how much cheaper would it be? I'd think it might be more - due to packaging. Getting all the materials together and packaged, plus instructions?

As for a box - collectors may want this! Think about all the times Georges bid on something because of the box itself! ;)

---

btw - not sure if you mentioned it, but how much is does one puzzle cost to make? Hopefully, not $75.

Yes, I am beginning to think my poll is flawed, but I can't edit it :(. I think I need a lower bound, as most may click on $50 thinking, "I'd pay less than $50", but that tells me nothing :(

Perhaps those not willing to pay $50 but still interested would be kind enough to respond with the price they are willing to pay.

It doesn't cost $75 for the parts :) Raw parts cost is under $20, but add to that time on the laser cutter (and cost of membership to use it) as well as time to assemble it (this is where the DIY can be cheaper) and throw in a bit for my design time (I've spent many hours over the last few months getting the design worked out) and it adds up. Since I've not made more than a few prototypes it is hard for me to know my real cost.

So even if it doesn't cost that much to make the second one, the first one cost me a lot :) So knowing how many I can sell allows me to lower the price as the number goes up.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:21 pm 

Noah wrote:
DIY, now would it just be screws, or would you have to do some gluing? If it's just screws, then yes.

Packaging, personally I wouldn't want it. It's be just bulky and the extra cost wouldn't be worth it.

PS. My vote for 50 or under was chosen because I think 50 would be a good price.

Thanks for the info!

There are just 15 screws, and phillips heads at that (although very small). I wanted people to be able to build it if I make a DIY. All the plastic rods (15 as well) are held by friction, no glue required!

A DIY version would be a ziplock sandwich bag of 103 parts. If I am lazy, you may have to poke out the small plugs that are cut from the acrylic (when cutting the holes) but stick to the edge while still hot. About half of them stick. This is not hard (a poke with something pointy like, say, a small phillips screwdriver you need for the screws), but takes time. Less work than cleaning up the flash from a standard model plane.
I would post a video or series of pictures as instructions, or I suppose I could print it. But why kill the trees if most people will look at it online anyway.

Thanks for the clarification on the pricing. Sorry for a poor poll.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:59 pm 

Youtube the construction! :P

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:41 pm 

I marked 75 because it would give you a good compensation for your time and design. I would even pay extra for a Radiation symbol instead of the Biohazard symbol...

To answer your questions:

1. I like the idea of a DIY kit. I enjoy putting things together, and it would give me a chance to see your design in more detail than a pre-assembled puzzle.

2. You could add an option of a box for $5, or make a box standard. I think it adds a nice finishing touch to the puzzle.

The box could be a modified version of the Studio Cube box, or a two part box with lid, or a clamshell hexagon. I may be able to help you out with a quick design; I have built a couple of custom boxes for my puzzles.

3. I do think that $50 would most likely be a better price for an overall mass order as it would make it more accessible to members with a low puzzle budget.

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:12 pm 

Puzzlemaster42 wrote:
I would even pay extra for a Radiation symbol instead of the Biohazard symbol...

Thanks for the feedback.

Radiation, huh? You mean something like, oh, I don't know... this?
(sorry for the poor photo, I only have my cell phone and the lighting stinks at this hour...)

I'm not sure I'll use this for the BioHazard puzzle (although these sample pieces happen to be made for the BioHazard design), you may have to wait for its cousin, the Radiation puzzle. But more on that later.

Dave :)

Attachments:
Radiation.jpg
Radiation.jpg [ 9.02 KiB | Viewed 2470 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:29 pm 

For the DIYs, you should include both sets so you can change it as you please.

That or have the puzzle be double sided. :wink:

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:41 pm 

Noah wrote:
For the DIYs, you should include both sets so you can change it as you please.

Part of the DIY idea was to be able to choose piece sets (color, image, etc.) They could be like slightly more expensive sticker changes, if you get bored with one you could buy another set for much less than the full puzzle price.

Double sided is an interesting idea though. It would be a bit more complicated and to assemble, but certainly possible. Now if I could make the top and bottom move with different rules, that would be something.

But now we've strayed into the Puzzle Building thread :)

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:15 pm 

Definitely DIY, it keeps the labor down for you, and I like putting puzzles together.

One thing you might want to consider is there could be a lot of people who would be ordering these in 3 months when they get their holiday money or get them as gifts. I have a cube budget I have to adhere to, so I probably wouldn't be able to buy one immediately, but I would definitely want one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:17 pm 

I would pay $74.99 for a reay version, or 49.99 for the parts to be assembled.

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:43 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
I would pay $74.99 for a reay version, or 49.99 for the parts to be assembled.

:)

Pantazis

ill go with that too. would love to own a puzzle actually created by person i sort of know. since on ebay i dont have money and luck to win :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:09 pm 

Personally, I'll pay whatever you're asking. :-) I'm happy with a DIY or pre-assembled. Basically, I just want one.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:40 pm 

1.) I think a DIY is a great idea for people who love to get a product at a lower price, and who like to build stuff.

2.) Since the puzzles are going to mainly an online product I don't think it is woth paying extra for special packaging.

3.) I think It depends on what variation of the puzzles you are Building. The ones that cost more to make should cost more. I think around $30-$65 is a good price.

Last edited by TheAtarian1 on Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:59 pm 

i am constantly denied many cool puzzles because of my dirt-poor/no money issues. this puzzle looks cool as hell, and if it is affordable to me (lets say, $30 or less-ish), in ANY form (diy or whatever), then i would love to own one. i feel like different options should/could be made available, and that way, you will end up making more money off of affordable versions (from poor peeps like me) than if you sell it for something like $75+ (for the rich/elite only crowd). maybe you could have different prices for the different versions, such as x amount for an assembled one with a box for all the collector nerds with tons of money, then a cheaper version with no box, then a ziplocked do-it-your-damn-broke-ass-self version for a LOT less for people like me!
kinda like how eastsheen sells diff. versions for diff. price ranges for the exact same puzzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:09 pm 

dlitwin wrote:

1.) What are your thoughts on a DIY version (at a reduced price)?

I dislike the idea of a DIY for me because the puzzle just wouldn't get built and I'd pay a little more to have it built for me.

dlitwin wrote:
2.) What are your thoughts on packaging? Is it worth making the puzzle more expensive? Unlike most cubical puzzles, there is no pre-made box I can find that fits this shape very well.

I can live without one to make the cost go down but I would like a instruction sheet to go with it.

dlitwin wrote:
3.) Is there a specific price you think is right for this puzzle? I left the categories broad.

Ask yourself this question. How much is your time, money and energy that you have to put in to build these puzzles?

dlitwin wrote:
Noah wrote:

Double sided is an interesting idea though. It would be a bit more complicated and to assemble, but certainly possible. Now if I could make the top and bottom move with different rules, that would be something.

But now we've strayed into the Puzzle Building thread :)

Dave

I really do like the idea of a double sided puzzle but wouldn't you think it would be a little redundant. Here is my metaphor on what I'm trying to say. Take the Rubik's Clock for instance you rotate a disk, push a button and some certain clocks move on one side and a different set moves on the other side. I mean whats the point of having a double sided puzzle if the same parts move on each side of the puzzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:33 am 

I would do 60 or 65 for a built version. 40 for a DIY kit with pieces.

Double-sided would be very interesting if you can get them to move differently. My vision is a completely see-thru puzzle save for a the same red Bio symbol on one side and that green radiation symbol on the other, differently engineered, side. Just an idea tho :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:32 pm 

I was able to find a box to fit it. I actually found three:

1.) 6" x 6" x 1" hard clear box
2.) 5.5" x 5.5" x 1" thinner plastic (like the new hex rubiks packaging)
3.) 6" x 1" round

I ordered #2, but might consider ordering some of #1 for special versions.

Dave