Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: $50 Dino Cubes, anyone?
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:17 pm 

OK, it has been suggested that I start this thread, so I am! However, it *is* a duplicate of what I have posted here, I'll keep it short.

Offer is simple. I can make up a batch of Dino cubes, around 100+, and sell them here at a fixed price, the target being about $50 (US, not NZ!). However, I won't be putting my hand up for this unless at least the bulk of the order is spoken for up front as I don't have any interest in storing / retailing a bunch of Dino Cubes at this point.

So, what do you all think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:21 pm 

I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you have contacts with a factory or something? I am just curious to know how you are getting so many made so cheap?

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:33 pm 

As explained in the other thread, I have access to all the tool and die making equipment necessary to make a set of proper negatives for an injection moulding process. Since the main cost of a moulding process is the tooling, what I'm saying is that I am offering this as a sort of "public service", since I would be making the die as hobby, as opposed to a I-gotta-pay-the-rent contract.

As for the moulding, it's always cheap! It is relatively expensive by world standards here in NZ, but you have to think economies of scale--we mostly do small run stuff here, as there is nobody here to use a large one!

You also have to consider that the $50 figure is a ballpark one. Have I sat down and done a full economic analysis of the situation? No. The numbers quoted are based on experience and "gut instinct", so there is room for change. I am merely trying to gauge interest at the moment.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:38 pm 

Yes please i will take 1-2

Last edited by DaveGuy on Sun May 13, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:38 pm 

Oh wow, sounds good.

I would buy one, but I am a bit sparse in the pocket.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:39 pm 

I would definitely buy one! Also if you decide to go through with this put it on eBay and just have it Buy It Now, it would make it easier. I may not just buy one. I may buy 2 or 3. Probably not at the same time but, eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:16 pm 

What would the colour scheme be?
Will it have dinosaurs on it or colours and how many?
Vadim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:17 pm 

In my opinion, this can be a good experiment: if it works, mr. the.drizzle may consider to propose also more interesting (and complicated) puzzles. But the idea is: let's start with a simple one and see if everything goes ok, am I right?

Ok, anyway I trust this experiment: one Dinocube for me, please :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:25 pm 

Quote:
But the idea is: let's start with a simple one and see if everything goes ok, am I right?

You are absolutely correct! I am working on two other *far* more involved projects at the moment, and this is the way I would prefer to do things (one-offs are fine, but don't hold my personal interest quite as much).

As for the colour scheme, I obviously have nothing decided yet, I don't even have the cubes :) However, what I was thinking (to avoid having these resold on ebay for $800 each) is to make a series of pictures that would similar to the original Dino scheme, but different so as to deter unscrupulous capitalists. I was thinking of 6 NZ birds instead, to reflect the point of origin and all...

Anyhow, gotta run. Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:35 pm 

The main attraction in Dino cube is two-fold. One is that it's a puzzle that is different from what is on the available market (both retail and eBay), and so it's basically unrepresented. The other is that it's a very rare mass-produced puzzle. In my opinion the latter point is a dominating one. It's one thing to collect custom puzzles of which there can be way too many, and the other to collect mass-produced puzzles that are long out of production. This is similar to collecting in general I guess. In this view any reproduction does not count. The first point however is not so tempting these days with the availability of Rainbow cubes that are basically the same mechanism.

So I would consider a run of reproduction Dino cubes as a very interesting experiment, as well as an opportunity for people to get this puzzle. I would take at least one myself, maybe a couple. I do want to encourage you to make this happen. The real interest would be if we could produce custom puzzles in small runs this way. Definitely the permission of the puzzle designer would be necessary, and some royalty scheme should be developed in that case. But if we can make this happen that would bring the whole puzzle designing thing and this puzzle community to new heights never imagined before.

The mechanisms are a little different for Rainbow cube and Dino cube, even though they revolve around the same idea. Rainbow cubes are about slick plastic and high tolerances, and have the same kind of design, plastic and look-and-feel as Eastsheen 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 cubes. Dino cube is of more traditional old fashioned design with screws and springs. I disassembled mine once but only to some degree as going further might have broken it. I can try again and take pictures should that be very necessary. I take it you can design the cube in CAD, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:55 pm 

I would be interested in two. One for myself, and one for my puzzle collecting friend. I would like to have just solid colors, but I agree there has to be some way to prevent people from trying to profit off your work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:26 pm 

Hmm... A little over an hour up, and it looks like 10 - 15 could be moved. Well, that would seem to be a good enough response to warrent moving on this, so I guess I'll go ahead and do it!

Quote:
So I would consider a run of reproduction Dino cubes as a very interesting experiment, as well as an opportunity for people to get this puzzle. I would take at least one myself, maybe a couple. I do want to encourage you to make this happen. The real interest would be if we could produce custom puzzles in small runs this way. Definitely the permission of the puzzle designer would be necessary, and some royalty scheme should be developed in that case. But if we can make this happen that would bring the whole puzzle designing thing and this puzzle community to new heights never imagined before.

Uh, not really. The reason this is practical for now is that I have some spare time on my hands, and ready access to the appropriate equipment. In general, though, this would not be the best way of doing things--making moulds like this is generally how commercial puzzles are currently produced. Most designs (even a 3x3x3, for example) are *far* more sophisticated than the Dino design, though, so the man-hours that would go into making each mould would be quite high. It's not an impossibility, of course, but it is an important factor to note.

As for the royalties, I'm assuming you meant that for future projects? I.e., if someone wanted to use my services to get their design built? In that case, yes, royalties for sure at the minimum! As for this project, though, that's not going to happen, as it would stop this proposal dead in its tracks. Why? Think of this run as equivalent to a white-label record. DJ Shadow sums up the situation quite nicely here.

So, a moulding I will go!

Oh, yeah, can somebody please tell me the dimension of a Dino cube? I might as well make it the right size... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:45 pm 

Wait, so lemme get this clear. You are making Dino Cubes!? I'm so excited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:46 pm 

I suggest having a normal color scheme, solid colors or dinosaurs, but on one of the stickers, a water mark of some sort.

Also, to avoid them from being restickered and sold for large amounts of profits, perhaps you can have some sort of indentation with the same water mark, similar to what is done one the 25th anniversary 3x3s on one of the centers.

[edit]

PS. I'd buy two.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:57 pm 

Quote:

That's the plan. I should have a timeline for availability up by Wednesday (NZ) time :)

Again, though, how big are these things supposed to be? The usual 57mm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:16 pm 

the.drizzle wrote:
Skate Addicti0n wrote:

That's the plan. I should have a timeline for availability up by Wednesday (NZ) time :)

You should have it on eBay Buy It Now. It would be easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:22 pm 

I would definitly buy one, I am starting to collect, so this would be a great addition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:25 pm 

the.drizzle wrote:
Quote:

http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5534&highlight=dino

That thread doesn't exactly say the size of an original Dino, but shows its size in comparison with a Rainbow build up.

If you want it the same size as an original, you would have to sand down a bit on the rainbow cube.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:58 pm 

I would buy one, no matter what stickers you use (well, as long as the faces are more or less uniform and distinguishable).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:24 pm 

I am interested in purchasing 1, possibly 2 of the dino cube remakes.

In addition, I am interested in a follow on puzzle project. Possibly something that has never been produced.

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:18 pm 

I would like 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:48 pm 

If you sell them for $50 each, I would buy two pieces!

To answer your question regarding the other Dino Cube I bid on ebay last time:
It is the collectable value that rocketed its price. I have seen David (rastarubik), Adam (Zamora) and Scott (Bernard) placing custom Dino Cubes on ebay for much much lower than $712, but I didn't bid. ;)
And don't get me wrong, the quality of the custom puzzles (made by David, Adam and Scott) has been verified to be very high when compared to the stiff rare ones. But as I said, an antique has extra value.

But I would really love to get a "Rainbow" Dino Cube too! I would also suggest to make some boxes, even if you raise the price by $5-$10. If you make many puzzles together, it should be worth printing some extra cartons LOL.

And if you set ALL four different color schemes, I may be interested in all four of them!
Good luck with this project!

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Last edited by kastellorizo on Sun May 13, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:54 pm 

You Dino Cube owners out there, give thr.drizzle the dimensions, so that he can start.
I'll take one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:55 pm 

I'd like to have at least 2 of them for sure. I love to have a bigger size then compared to the original Dino cube and I also like the old school color scheme better to.

Red/orange
yellow/green
blue/white

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:06 pm 

So... so far there is "some" interest.

That is, between 15-23 pieces...!

Making 100, would be a quite good investment in my opinion. Especially if the quality is good. And they *will* be sold, I can assure you of that. There are many people who have not responded yet, but if they hear good words regarding the quality, they will also appear.

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:04 am 

OK, I think I'll go with the regular 57mm size so that it "fit's" with the other cubes. And to prevent unscrupulous capitalists, I'm thinking the easiest thing do do would be to simply use a non-black plastic. That would certainly distinguish this cube from a genuine one! The idea of an imprint on the plastic is good, except that it would be a lot of work to also come up with a sticker pattern that works with the irregularity in an attractive manner.

As for the stickers, I'll have to shop around a bit, but what I would like to do is run a variation on the original dinosaur theme, using stylized NZ birds instead--it's a NZ thing. :) I'm thinking Kiwi, Moa, Kereru, Pukeko (of course), Kea, and Toreapango. For a little bit of an idea of what I'm talking about, look here.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:25 am 

I like your sticker idea. Also, if you can wait a couple of days or so, I will retrieve my Dino from storage and take the measurements, as well as take some pictures of the insides, at least to a degree where I think it's safe to disassemble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:42 am 

Quote:
I like your sticker idea. Also, if you can wait a couple of days or so, I will retrieve my Dino from storage and take the measurements, as well as take some pictures of the insides, at least to a degree where I think it's safe to disassemble.

Cool! That will save me a bit of time. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:46 am 

Hmm, non-black plastic? What colour were you thinking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:10 am 

Depends what's available. Injection moulded toys are typically made from ABS with a bit of vinyl tossed in for durability. ABS is naturally a creamy colour, so the pigmentation is a matter of what is in stock here at the time. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:18 am 

I, not sure about anyone else, would much rather black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:36 am 

the.drizzle wrote:
As for the stickers, I'll have to shop around a bit, but what I would like to do is run a variation on the original dinosaur theme, using stylized NZ birds instead--it's a NZ thing. :) I'm thinking Kiwi, Moa, Kereru, Pukeko (of course), Kea, and Toreapango. For a little bit of an idea of what I'm talking about, look here.

Thoughts?

A pretty ambitious project! The bird theme is ingenious, and I think it clearly distinguishes this project as a clever homage not just a couterfeit knockoff. It seems rather more difficult than plain colors.

Perhaps you could ship the cubes unstickered so purchasers could choose their colors scheme. That would save you the tedious process of applying the stickers, and could permit buyers to choose their preferred color scheme of 2, 4, or 6 colors.

Respectfully, with or without the Pukeko, future collectors will fondly refer to your cube as the "Kiwi Cube.". (Unless you somehow color the cube black with a red beak.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:54 am 

Sorry mate, but I'll have to back out!
Really cash straped this year: can't afford any puzzles!
Vadim

Last edited by Vadim on Mon May 21, 2007 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:54 am 

I would buy 1-2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:50 am 

Put me down for one, maybe 2. :-)

4x4x4- err... 330-ish
megaminx- 173.something

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:23 am 

VeryWetPaint wrote:
"Kiwi Cube."

The idea for the pattern is excellent, as well the idea for the name!
There is almost always a creativity flood in this place. I love it!!!

:D

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:44 am 

How about this - don't sticker the cube yourself, but rather include a set of the bird stickers along with it. Then, those who want to speedsolve it (yes, I know it's easy) can make/use their own stickers and not have to ruin the bird stickers, and those who are in for the collecting can just put the bird stickers on immediately and display it like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:50 am 

Personally, I think someone should supply stickers for the original 2-color, 4-color, and 6-color schemes. That way, we can decide on how trivial we want the solving of the puzzle to be. :P

In fact, the Lattice Cube by Mr. Okamoto is just as trivial, in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:33 am 

I will take 2 of these dino cubes. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:15 am 

I would be interested in one. I have not been checking twistypuzzles regularly laterly because of other time commitments so if this does happen please make sure to e-mail or PM me.

Thanks,
Dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:43 am 

I would take 1 or 2. I know the original dino cube is much smaller than a regular 3x3x3 cube. I see if I can get a measurement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:07 pm 

I would take one.
I would prefer an unstickered cube so I can choose what stickers to use, preferably dinosaur stickers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:57 pm 

It's clear that people prefer it to be unstickered, but the thing I most want to express is the color of the plastic.

I understand the need to distinguish these 'knock offs' from the 'antiques', but I don't know about other people but I really prefer black plastic. Is there some way we can still have the black plastic? If not, I understand, and I just want to say thank you for undertaking such a serious project and good luck.

Noah Hevey.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:29 pm 

Personally, I would prefer it to be unstickered too (with a set - or two - of stickers included separately.)

And, yes, of course it should be black...

May I suggest a way of "marking" it to make it easily recognizable? It shouldn't be difficult to prepare the moulding so that a small symbol or a letter (maybe the "K" for Kiwicube) will result carved in each piece of the cube. I mean, not visible outside: it should be in the inner side of every single piece, but visible only when turning a corner. This would save the esthetics, and shouldn't affect the mechanism, because it will not be in relief, but carved.

I hope you can understand my idea, english is not my mother toungue and I could have made some confusion :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:39 pm 

My original dino is 48mm square.

I will take 3 of your 'Kiwi' cube. Great idea.........!

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:15 pm 

Richard wrote:
My original dino is 48mm square.

I will take 3 of your 'Kiwi' cube. Great idea.........!

Richard

Really? Mine measures 50mm. It is the four color (Red, White, Blue, Yellow).

There is some squishyness given that the pieces can compress into the mechanism a bit when pressed, but when I try to line it up as a cube square in all dimensions 50mm is the measurement I get.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:25 pm 

48 mm? Wow, that's pretty small! I think that maybe the future-rip-off protection right there if I simply make it a regular 57mm! And in black, of course. Personally, me and my big clumsy hands would find a 48mm cube too small to be any fun.

Thoughts?

As well, the idea of putting some sort of simple mark on the corner triangle piece that holds the edges on is good too--doesn't force the end user to look at some surface irregularity that they may find unappealing. Of course, if we got the size differential going on, it would be un-necessary too, right?

As an aside, WOW, I'm thrilled about the positive response this idea has received! I got a *really* long day at work ahead today, and will not be doing anything on this until this evening, but I'll try to post some jpegs of the proposed parts then.

Thanks! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:13 pm 

Well, I think the original reason to make this different from the original Dino cube was to prevent people from turning around and profitting off your work. Anyone outside of TwistyPuzzles will still think the remake is a Dino cube (because they won't know the size or ask to see the inside of the piece).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:56 pm 

Id definately buy one.

www.nickylewis.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:09 pm 

@the.drizzle you should have a poll in this thread with the options 1, 2, 3, 4, 5+ and then each person (only vote once) would put how many they would most-likely buy... then you would get an idea of how many you will be selling...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next