Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: MagiQ-Bert!!! (18-tile magic based on the cute Q-Bert game)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
For a very long time I was amazed by Tim Browne's "Create the Double Cube".
And after doing the Magic Dino Cube last year, I wanted to extend the idea!

The "Double Create the Cube" magic was done so well done by Tim, it is hard to be more creative than that for that specific puzzle with two cubes.

Then I was thinking of making a magic with more cubes. A three cube magic was indeed possible, but special care should been taken in order to make sure the same side covers an external (or internal) part. Because those three cubes interact in more ways than you may think and the design becomes more complex.

And I always had in my mind the image of a flyer of the 80s video game Q-bert, where the cute orange hero (i.e. Q-Bert) is standing on those cubes.

Image

Anyway, here is the new magic I made, called "MagiQ-Bert"!

It has two solutions,

(1) Flat solution, which shows a nice screenshot of the video game (all graphics were taken from the original game using the fantastic MAME emulator)
(2) Triple Cube solution. Here, the one side shows the three cubes with yellow color on the top, and on the other side, it shows the three cubes with blue color on the top.
(this is because in the game, the color is yellow, until Q-bert steps on it and becomes blue, i.e. the goal of the first level of the game is to make them all blue - there are more levels, but this is the most well known level).


For the cubes solution, I did not place oriented tiles (just like I did with the Magic Dino Cube), because simply, it is more confusing without them! I deliberately placed them in a completely random order, making it extremely difficult puzzle to solve even by *knowing* the solution! Had I placed orientation, there would be some clues to solve it, which I did not want to give LOL
(In fact, I spent more time trying to put it in the triple cube solution form than I did for stringing it!!!)


Here are the photos of the solved states:


Image
Flat Solution!


Image
Front side of the Triple Cube solution (yellow on top, light green on the bottom left, dark green on the bottom right)


Image
Back side of the Triple Cube solution (blue on top, light green on the bottom left, dark green on the bottom right)


And yes, both triple cube sides can stand on their own as the weight is nicely balanced.
The most interesting part is, that there were at least three people encouraging me to do this. Thanks guys (David, Darren, Pembo etc), and especially Tim, whose double cube design was my main inspiration for this. It turned out really lovely!

:)





Pantazis

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Last edited by kastellorizo on Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:02 pm
:shock: :shock:
That is amazing....

_________________
3x3: PB 9.64
http://www.xanga.com/j_ey


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Rotterdam, Netherlands
I love it!

Thomas

_________________
Image
My mods | My other hobby: www.unused-prince-tickets.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2001 10:09 am
Location: Great State of Washington
:shock: :shock:
You need to change your name to "The Magic Man"

Great job. I can't wait to see what you make next.

How many different magic puzzles have you made anyway???

_________________
I have 2 words for you - "Gotta Have It"
Yogi Berra


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: Marske-By-The-Sea, UK
Egging people on has it's effects, tremendously good work!

Is there going to be a video showing how the puzzle is solved?

_________________
List of Speedcubing methods
Speedcubing tutorial

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
joey wrote:
:shock: :shock:
That is amazing....


Thanks joey! It surely came out better than I expected. :)




Thomas wrote:
I love it!

Thomas


Thanks Thomas! And trust me, there are many of *your* puzzles that I also love LOL





Mr.Twisty wrote:
:shock: :shock:
You need to change your name to "The Magic Man"

Great job. I can't wait to see what you make next.

How many different magic puzzles have you made anyway???



Thanks Dodd! At this stage I have already completed what I wanted to do before the IPP. I will definitely do more of them, but at the moment, I must make a few duplicates for August! :)

Rergarding the number, till now, I have made 34 custom magics in total, which can be divided into 19 "mechanically different" categories (that is, by not taking into account the paper tiles, but the possible shapes). And out of those 19 "mechanically different" categories, 14 are my own ideas and unique designs (always in the mechanical sense!).
For example, the three 9-tile puzzles from the Atlantis Trilogy, fall into the same category of "type A 9-tile closed loop magic". But sometimes I feel that I really should make a better list of the types of all magics. I am not very satisfied with the table I made some time ago. It works for me, but it may not be easy for others to understand.

And I have just realised that my own designs are more than all of the other magics I have, put together!!! :shock:




Pembo wrote:
Egging people on has it's effects, tremendously good work!

Is there going to be a video showing how the puzzle is solved?


Thanks Pembo, but I am not sure about the egging part! LOL
The video is a very good idea. Last time, I did some nice videos (e.g. Magic Throne, Magic Dino Cube). I guess I should do more. :)




Pantazis

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:54 am
Location: New England
This is very nice... I'm not usually into Magic (Rubik's Magic) but this looks great! Good work.

_________________
Working on it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MagiQ-Bert!!! (18-tile magic based on the cute Q-Bert ga
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: Marske-By-The-Sea, UK
kastellorizo wrote:
Thanks Pembo, but I am not sure about the egging part! LOL



kastellorizo wrote:
The most interesting part is, that there were at least three people encouraging me to do this. Thanks guys (David, Darren, Pembo etc),

_________________
List of Speedcubing methods
Speedcubing tutorial

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:24 pm
Location: MN
nice magic. it looks so complex that a normal persons head would explode! :shock:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:02 pm
Mr.Twisty wrote:
:shock: :shock:
You need to change your name to "The Magic Man"


Magic man, nah. Maybe Magic God?

_________________
3x3: PB 9.64
http://www.xanga.com/j_ey


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: Marske-By-The-Sea, UK
Merlin?

_________________
List of Speedcubing methods
Speedcubing tutorial

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MagiQ-Bert!!! (18-tile magic based on the cute Q-Bert ga
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2000 2:51 am
Location: New Ulm, Minnesota, USA
kastellorizo wrote:
Thanks guys (David, Darren, Pembo etc), and especially Tim, whose double cube design was my main inspiration for this. It turned out really lovely!

:)

Pantazis


Thanks I feel honored :D and embarressed . I love all of your magics and want to buy them all from you. :oops: You should really make a a video on how you can make your own magic(s).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
Skate Addicti0n wrote:
This is very nice... I'm not usually into Magic (Rubik's Magic) but this looks great! Good work.


Thanks Skate! But you should try more those magics, they are very intriguing! :)


gamemeister27 wrote:
nice magic. it looks so complex that a normal persons head would explode! :shock:


Thanks gememeister, and thank God, no one here (including me) is normal! LOL



joey wrote:
Mr.Twisty wrote:
:shock: :shock:
You need to change your name to "The Magic Man"


Magic man, nah. Maybe Magic God?


viewtopic.php?p=50667#50667

:) :oops: :) :oops: :) :oops:





Pembo wrote:
Merlin?


Guys.... you have to decide! LOL
viewtopic.php?p=47670#47670
(just kidding!)


Darren Grewe wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:
Thanks guys (David, Darren, Pembo etc), and especially Tim, whose double cube design was my main inspiration for this. It turned out really lovely!

:)

Pantazis


Thanks I feel honored :D and embarressed . I love all of your magics and want to buy them all from you. :oops: You should really make a a video on how you can make your own magic(s).



Thanks Darren, I also feel honored and flattered!
And I could make a video, but I think Rubiks.com has one already? ;)



:)





Pantazis

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2000 2:51 am
Location: New Ulm, Minnesota, USA
kastellorizo wrote:

Darren Grewe wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:
Thanks guys (David, Darren, Pembo etc), and especially Tim, whose double cube design was my main inspiration for this. It turned out really lovely!

:)

Pantazis


Thanks I feel honored :D and embarressed . I love all of your magics and want to buy them all from you. :oops: You should really make a a video on how you can make your own magic(s).



Thanks Darren, I also feel honored and flattered!


I'm serious! :D :) 8-) :wink: You could your own magic store some how.

kastellorizo wrote:
And I could make a video, but I think Rubiks.com has one already? ;)

:)

Pantazis


I tried searching through the forms and Rubiks.com but found nothing. Please don't quote me on this but this is all that I remember. I heard that it was a terrible video for restringing your magic only. I know it had bad lighting and I think you could hardly understand the person talking about restringing your magic. Besides I'd think yours would be 1000 times better on restringing your magic and also on how to make one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
Darren Grewe wrote:

I'm serious! :D :) 8-) :wink: You could your own magic store some how.



That would be great LOL
But I will need some people (whom I can work close together) to help me with the stringing so that prices will be low. I would definitely test them personally!!! ;)

Sadly, due to my never ending commitments, this is not going to happen soon... :(




Darren Grewe wrote:

I tried searching through the forms and Rubiks.com but found nothing. Please don't quote me on this but this is all that I remember. I heard that it was a terrible video for restringing your magic only. I know it had bad lighting and I think you could hardly understand the person talking about restringing your magic. Besides I'd think yours would be 1000 times better on restringing your magic and also on how to make one.



http://www.rubiks.com/images/lvl4/produ ... a/magic.rm

hmmm... it's not that bad after all! :P
(it just becomes a little bit repetitive)



Pantazis

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group