Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MagiQ-Bert!!! (18-tile magic based on the cute Q-Bert game)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:21 am 

For a very long time I was amazed by Tim Browne's "Create the Double Cube".
And after doing the Magic Dino Cube last year, I wanted to extend the idea!

The "Double Create the Cube" magic was done so well done by Tim, it is hard to be more creative than that for that specific puzzle with two cubes.

Then I was thinking of making a magic with more cubes. A three cube magic was indeed possible, but special care should been taken in order to make sure the same side covers an external (or internal) part. Because those three cubes interact in more ways than you may think and the design becomes more complex.

And I always had in my mind the image of a flyer of the 80s video game Q-bert, where the cute orange hero (i.e. Q-Bert) is standing on those cubes.

Anyway, here is the new magic I made, called "MagiQ-Bert"!

It has two solutions,

(1) Flat solution, which shows a nice screenshot of the video game (all graphics were taken from the original game using the fantastic MAME emulator)
(2) Triple Cube solution. Here, the one side shows the three cubes with yellow color on the top, and on the other side, it shows the three cubes with blue color on the top.
(this is because in the game, the color is yellow, until Q-bert steps on it and becomes blue, i.e. the goal of the first level of the game is to make them all blue - there are more levels, but this is the most well known level).

For the cubes solution, I did not place oriented tiles (just like I did with the Magic Dino Cube), because simply, it is more confusing without them! I deliberately placed them in a completely random order, making it extremely difficult puzzle to solve even by *knowing* the solution! Had I placed orientation, there would be some clues to solve it, which I did not want to give LOL
(In fact, I spent more time trying to put it in the triple cube solution form than I did for stringing it!!!)

Here are the photos of the solved states:

Flat Solution!

Front side of the Triple Cube solution (yellow on top, light green on the bottom left, dark green on the bottom right)

Back side of the Triple Cube solution (blue on top, light green on the bottom left, dark green on the bottom right)

And yes, both triple cube sides can stand on their own as the weight is nicely balanced.
The most interesting part is, that there were at least three people encouraging me to do this. Thanks guys (David, Darren, Pembo etc), and especially Tim, whose double cube design was my main inspiration for this. It turned out really lovely!

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Last edited by kastellorizo on Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:36 am 

:shock: :shock:
That is amazing....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:12 pm 

I love it!

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:47 pm 

You need to change your name to "The Magic Man"

Great job. I can't wait to see what you make next.

How many different magic puzzles have you made anyway???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:46 pm 

Egging people on has it's effects, tremendously good work!

Is there going to be a video showing how the puzzle is solved?

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:11 am 

joey wrote:
That is amazing....

Thanks joey! It surely came out better than I expected. :)

Thomas wrote:
I love it!

Thomas

Thanks Thomas! And trust me, there are many of *your* puzzles that I also love LOL

Mr.Twisty wrote:

Great job. I can't wait to see what you make next.

How many different magic puzzles have you made anyway???

Thanks Dodd! At this stage I have already completed what I wanted to do before the IPP. I will definitely do more of them, but at the moment, I must make a few duplicates for August! :)

Rergarding the number, till now, I have made 34 custom magics in total, which can be divided into 19 "mechanically different" categories (that is, by not taking into account the paper tiles, but the possible shapes). And out of those 19 "mechanically different" categories, 14 are my own ideas and unique designs (always in the mechanical sense!).
For example, the three 9-tile puzzles from the Atlantis Trilogy, fall into the same category of "type A 9-tile closed loop magic". But sometimes I feel that I really should make a better list of the types of all magics. I am not very satisfied with the table I made some time ago. It works for me, but it may not be easy for others to understand.

And I have just realised that my own designs are more than all of the other magics I have, put together!!! :shock:

Pembo wrote:
Egging people on has it's effects, tremendously good work!

Is there going to be a video showing how the puzzle is solved?

Thanks Pembo, but I am not sure about the egging part! LOL
The video is a very good idea. Last time, I did some nice videos (e.g. Magic Throne, Magic Dino Cube). I guess I should do more. :)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:37 pm 

This is very nice... I'm not usually into Magic (Rubik's Magic) but this looks great! Good work.

Post subject: Re: MagiQ-Bert!!! (18-tile magic based on the cute Q-Bert ga
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:47 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
Thanks Pembo, but I am not sure about the egging part! LOL

kastellorizo wrote:
The most interesting part is, that there were at least three people encouraging me to do this. Thanks guys (David, Darren, Pembo etc),

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:57 pm 

nice magic. it looks so complex that a normal persons head would explode! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:59 pm 

Mr.Twisty wrote:

Magic man, nah. Maybe Magic God?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:09 pm 

Merlin?

Post subject: Re: MagiQ-Bert!!! (18-tile magic based on the cute Q-Bert ga
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:59 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
Thanks guys (David, Darren, Pembo etc), and especially Tim, whose double cube design was my main inspiration for this. It turned out really lovely!

Pantazis

Thanks I feel honored :D and embarressed . I love all of your magics and want to buy them all from you. :oops: You should really make a a video on how you can make your own magic(s).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:17 pm 

Skate Addicti0n wrote:
This is very nice... I'm not usually into Magic (Rubik's Magic) but this looks great! Good work.

Thanks Skate! But you should try more those magics, they are very intriguing! :)

gamemeister27 wrote:
nice magic. it looks so complex that a normal persons head would explode! :shock:

Thanks gememeister, and thank God, no one here (including me) is normal! LOL

joey wrote:
Mr.Twisty wrote:

Magic man, nah. Maybe Magic God?

viewtopic.php?p=50667#50667

:) :oops: :) :oops: :) :oops:

Pembo wrote:
Merlin?

Guys.... you have to decide! LOL
viewtopic.php?p=47670#47670
(just kidding!)

Darren Grewe wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:
Thanks guys (David, Darren, Pembo etc), and especially Tim, whose double cube design was my main inspiration for this. It turned out really lovely!

Pantazis

Thanks I feel honored :D and embarressed . I love all of your magics and want to buy them all from you. :oops: You should really make a a video on how you can make your own magic(s).

Thanks Darren, I also feel honored and flattered!
And I could make a video, but I think Rubiks.com has one already? ;)

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:09 am 

kastellorizo wrote:

Darren Grewe wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:

Pantazis

Thanks Darren, I also feel honored and flattered!

I'm serious! :D :) 8-) :wink: You could your own magic store some how.

kastellorizo wrote:
And I could make a video, but I think Rubiks.com has one already? ;)

Pantazis

I tried searching through the forms and Rubiks.com but found nothing. Please don't quote me on this but this is all that I remember. I heard that it was a terrible video for restringing your magic only. I know it had bad lighting and I think you could hardly understand the person talking about restringing your magic. Besides I'd think yours would be 1000 times better on restringing your magic and also on how to make one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:55 am 

Darren Grewe wrote:

I'm serious! :D :) 8-) :wink: You could your own magic store some how.

That would be great LOL
But I will need some people (whom I can work close together) to help me with the stringing so that prices will be low. I would definitely test them personally!!! ;)

Sadly, due to my never ending commitments, this is not going to happen soon... :(

Darren Grewe wrote:

I tried searching through the forms and Rubiks.com but found nothing. Please don't quote me on this but this is all that I remember. I heard that it was a terrible video for restringing your magic only. I know it had bad lighting and I think you could hardly understand the person talking about restringing your magic. Besides I'd think yours would be 1000 times better on restringing your magic and also on how to make one.

http://www.rubiks.com/images/lvl4/produ ... a/magic.rm

hmmm... it's not that bad after all! :P
(it just becomes a little bit repetitive)

Pantazis