Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Megatwinx??? (Megaminx Siamese mod)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:49 am 

Well... while I am waiting for the (delayed and reserved) third shipment of magic tiles, I wanted to relax making some megaminx mod.
I am not sure if anyone else had done this before, but it is an extremely easy mod!
(I did some good search and found nothing, if anyone knows if this has been done before I would be thankful!)

Presenting... the.... Megatwinx!!! :P

I just took one piece out of one megaminx, and then glued the other one!
(I had to take off the tiles from that piece though, as when I glued it the first time, one of them came off!)

It is the mod that allows excellent freedom of movement, but when it stands on both megamince it actually stand on two edges not faces because of the angle difference.

Now, by connecting three pieces (two corners and an edge) we will have the "Megatrinx", it will be able to stand on the two faces, but there will be partial movement. In addition, four pieces will be needed to be cut in half and then glued.

Finally, by conneting two entire faces (i.e. five corners, five edges, and a centre in common) we will have the "Megapentix" and movement will become very limited.

I have not done the last two mods, but I still have a few Megaminx sitting here, so I might try it too LOL.

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:41 am 

I like the idea of this puzzle. It sounds like you glued the corner of one puzzle onto the edges of the other puzzle. Doesn't this restrict the movement of the puzzle? I would have thought that you would need to build a special connector corner piece that hooks into each puzzle like a regular corner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:12 pm 

david3x3x3 wrote:
I like the idea of this puzzle. It sounds like you glued the corner of one puzzle onto the edges of the other puzzle. Doesn't this restrict the movement of the puzzle? I would have thought that you would need to build a special connector corner piece that hooks into each puzzle like a regular corner.

The only pieces that cannot change are the edges that are adjacent to the place where the corners are connected. But the rest can move freely! :)

The corner of one megaminx fits perfectly inside the empty space left by the corner piece of the other megaminx. And of course, it will be better to take off the tiles and fill the emtpy space inside the piece (it has got to be solid!) before applying some strong glue. ;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.