Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Beware of the... Magic Octopus!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:03 pm 

Here is the Magic Octopus Puzzle... if I do more types of magics, it will be in November, right now I have spent waaaay too much time on magics LOL

The Magic Octopus is a 12-tile magic puzzle different from all the other 12-tile magics you knew until now.
As it can be seen from the above picture, it is in fact, a single loop 4-tile magic puzzle, where
each of the eight outside sides has an additional (tentacle) extension.

For this puzzle to be solved, you need to know well how to solve a 4-tile magic puzzle, as it will
require a few more tricky moves to make sure the tentacle-extensions don't get tangled with each other! ;-)

This puzzle is one of those I *had* to do as I grew up in a small island and I had met many octopi.
Until today, I am still amazed from the abilities of those sea creatures, by the way they change
colors inside the water and the different shapes they can form to virtually disappear in front of your very eyes.

When irritated, they become red and prepare to use their ink to escape. (I am also amazed by their magnificent taste when cooked with wine!!!).

Magic Octopus photos:

Calm Octopus side is solved

Both sides of the Magic Octopus completely scrambled

Angry Octopus side is solved!

FRIENDLY WARNING: DON'T MAKE THE OCTOPUS ANGRY!!!!!!!! :-P

Pantazis

PS No, the Magic Octopus is not participating in the magic daze competitionLOL

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Last edited by kastellorizo on Mon May 05, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:23 pm 

Awesome Pantazis! Very funny design!

I like it!

Well done man!

:D :lol: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:15 pm 

I have to say this is my favorite magic puzzle of your's so far. I like how the name fits perfectly.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:22 pm 

once again

GENIAL :wink:

congratulations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:26 pm 

This is, without a doubt, the most nifty magic puzzle I've ever seen. This is extremely clever and creative.

Thanks for the great pictures!

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:16 pm 

I can't believe how many non intuitive ideas there are for magics. Great job!
By the way, is it actually possible to achieve any other flat shapes?
thanks

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:10 am 

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! :)

Regarding the different possible flat shapes:

For single loop, without open loop parts (like the eight "tentacles" in the Magic Octopus), there are two possibilities for each even number as I state here.

For multiple loops, any combination of the single loop magics (such that they have some number of tiles in common) can be used. Think of them as something similar to rubik's mate, or fused cube. There is no limit (and this means there can be odd numbered magics too, like the 9-tile Olympic Silver Challenge for example).
In addition, open loops can also be added anywhere we want.

Of course, it is advisable to keep the stringing consistent, otherwise we enter a new area of magics: the bandaged magics!!! ;)
(I have tested a 7-tile bandaged, and it works like a dream LOL).

Anyway, the plan is to make in November a 9-tile magic myth and a seven tile bnadaged magic. :)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:23 am 

i am assuming that if you buy plastic that is 2, 3, or X times the size of a regular tile, then you can make bigger (in size) magics. of course you would have to make the grooves and the strings and the inserts. imagine a magic that works that is the size of a desktop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:35 am 

Adam Zamora wrote:
i am assuming that if you buy plastic that is 2, 3, or X times the size of a regular tile, then you can make bigger (in size) magics. of course you would have to make the grooves and the strings and the inserts. imagine a magic that works that is the size of a desktop.

LOL

only thinking of it made me almost fall of my chair from laughing!!!
Oh wait... is my folding chair another magic? I must be careful my hand is not caught between the strings while they interchange! :P

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:14 am 

kastellorizo wrote:
For single loop, without open loop parts (like the eight "tentacles" in the Magic Octopus), there are two possibilities for each even number as I state here.

Nice looking puzzle. I'm sad to say I've never played with a magic puzzle before as in the past I've always been more interested in the Rubik Cube type of puzzles. However the more I read here the more I wonder what I'm missing. I checked out your link and I wanted to ask a question. This may be obvious to someone that knows more about how these puzzles work but all I know is that they are pieces of plastic connected by a piece of string running through them. Looking at the pictures in the link you provided above it looks like the squares can have have the string go straight through them or the string can have a 90 turn at the center of the piece. Lets call these parts "straights" and "bends" and look at this picture:

If we start with the closest right hand square on both 7-tile puzzles and go clockwise I see:

bend, straight, bend, bend, bend, straight, bend

So I think I can see why these 2 are equal. However with the 9-tile puzzle I see one that looks like:

bend, straight, straight, bend, bend, bend, straight, straight, bend

and one that looks like:

bend, straight, bend, straight, bend, bend, straight, bend straight

No mater how I look at it I don't see how these two could be equal. How would you ever get 3 adjacent bend pieces in the second 9-tile puzzle?

Ok... now I have to track one of these down and figure out what is going on with these puzzles.

Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:43 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
Nice looking puzzle. I'm sad to say I've never played with a magic puzzle before as in the past I've always been more interested in the Rubik Cube type of puzzles. However the more I read here the more I wonder what I'm missing.

Thanks! :)

The mechanism of the magics is very interesting. There are many people who are intriqued by the way they work.
(I am also hooked LOL)

wwwmwww wrote:
No mater how I look at it I don't see how these two could be equal. How would you ever get 3 adjacent bend pieces in the second 9-tile puzzle?

When I finish the 9-tile magic myth ("Secret of Atlantis"), I will make sure that the video includes the move between the two shapes separated by the parity issue.
It is just a couple of flips. Hmmm... I could make a video with my 9-tile test magic if you want. :)

Pantazis