Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magic Myths (test tiles)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:40 am 

I present you the new design for the magic myths. I just can't wait for the tiles to arrive any more LOL. I hope you like it.

I have created so far, a 5-tile, 7-tile, and 9-tile magic myths.
The one above is a 7-tile one (using my testing tiles, so please forgive me that there is no theme on those).

You need to notice that there is a consistent and smooth continuity on the stringing that preserves the stability just like in a normal rubiks magic. In other words, if they had inifinite tiles, you would't be able to distinguish this type of stringing from a normal rubik's magic!

Just think of it as a form of mobius type of stringing! ;)

The only catch(?), is that they can never be flat!
But in my opinion, that is not a disadvantage. There are similar movements to the magics we all know, but because of its 3-d state, some are not similar at all!!! It moves very nice and it is very very puzzling! (It is a puzzle after all)

The templates are ready and I am (still LOL) waiting for the tiles to arrive. The names of those puzzles as well as their themes are already given as:

5-tile: The Magic Thrones of the Gods (two different states, one with the throne of Zeus and another one with Poseidon's!)
7-tile: The Magic Wrath of the Cyclops (one state will look like a Cyclops foot - second image above - and the other state will look like his lair).
9-tile: The Magic Secret of Atlantis (one state will look like and ancient column, and the other one as an Atlantian fish!)

I have also developed another 5-tile template, where not one, not two, but three(!!!) secret and dangerous (strings could come off) moves are required to bring it into a cube form! (of course, one side of this cube is open).
That one will be Pandora's Magic Box! ;)

More pictures in the future! :)
(please be easy with me, I am crazily busy, I can't even chat on MSN with David any more LOL - sorry David!)

Peter

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Last edited by kastellorizo on Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Magic Myths (test tiles)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:58 am 

kastellorizo wrote:

That's brilliant :D. But is that really how you do it? If I try to follow one "side" of the "strip" I don't seem to get to the other side...

Quote:

Why not Pantazis'? C'mon, it sounds similar.

Post subject: Re: Magic Myths (test tiles)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:11 pm 

StefanPochmann wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:

That's brilliant :D. But is that really how you do it? If I try to follow one "side" of the "strip" I don't seem to get to the other side...

Thanks Stefan! :)

Juozas did a great job demonstrating to others a 3-tile magic. Such a magic is the cornerstone of magics!!!

The stringing was done follwing the 3-tile rules. After creating say a five tile open loop, I had to place the strings of the first and the fifth in such a way, that it will be consistent with both first and fifth! When I found that this was possible, I couldn't believe it LOL

To be more specific, you must make the rest 3-d state and keep the 1st and 5th flat, or the other way around. The final result is always in 3-d state, remember? :)

StefanPochmann wrote:
Quote:

Why not Pantazis'? C'mon, it sounds similar.

Thanks for this proposal Stefan, I feel very honored. However, it is a very difficult move, and there is 50% chance the strings will come off. People will be cursing the puzzle, and if it has my name, they will be cusring me! LOL
I think I will only make this puzzle for people who are able to re-string them... unless I come up with some new way of stringing! ;)

Don't try a 3-tile closed loop though, it has a total of only two combinations (the internal corner becomes external), and to go from one state to another, you may break a string! :P

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:43 pm 

Peter,

I understand Stefan's point concerning the name issue. If you design new puzzles, if you make high quality puzzles, if you share interesting ideas, if you are active in puzzlers comunity for years, some day your name will become kind of a Brand name. All famous puzzlers at IPP are recognized by their real names. Only a couple of examples. Oscar van Deventer started with Oscar's Cube. If some wire puzzle was designed by Dick Hess, for me and for many other people it's all we need to know. We will buy it. So, my advice is: cherish your (brand) name from the very beginning. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:10 pm 

Juozas Granskas wrote:
Peter,

I understand Stefan's point concerning the name issue. If you design new puzzles, if you make high quality puzzles, if you share interesting ideas, if you are active in puzzlers comunity for years, some day your name will become kind of a Brand name. All famous puzzlers at IPP are recognized by their real names. Only a couple of examples. Oscar van Deventer started with Oscar's Cube. If some wire puzzle was designed by Dick Hess, for me and for many other people it's all we need to know. We will buy it. So, my advice is: cherish your (brand) name from the very beginning. :-)

It's not that I don't want to do this... I just feel very honored.... and shy! :oops: :oops: :oops:

And I must say... Stefan's suggestion is very catchy! :D

(for those who don't know, my real name is Pantazis, but I use Peter or Panda for convenience LOL)