Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: TwistyPuzzles Wiki
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:05 am 

I've been noticing that there have been a bunch of proposals lately for really nifty things to do with the site that require an admin to implement. For example, adding puzzles to the database, making certain topics like the "ultimate puzzle modding" thread and the monthly contest results sticky - stuff like that.

The unfortunate thing is that our admins (Sandy and Wayne) are low on time to commit to the site, so stuff doesn't get done. We need a way that we the users can expand and grow our favorite puzzle site.

In short, we need a wiki.

If the puzzle database were a wiki, we would be able to create and update entries for new puzzles ourselves. This would mean that the quality of the photos in the database would be inconsistent, but also that if someone wanted to put in a new, better picture, it would be easy to do. As someone said in a previous post, it's better to have lousy pictures in the database than none at all. We'd also be able to do interesting things like add links to solutions for the puzzles, or in fact to put a solution into the puzzle's page itself.

We'd also gain the ability to self-moderate. Errors wouldn't require an admin to correct, for example.

Now, I have no idea how something like this could be implemented (not my area), or even integrated into the existing site. There's also the catch-22 that an admin would need to implement it, and our admins are too busy to do it, so I don't know how it'd actually get done, but it sure seems like a nifty idea.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:14 am 

I agree Ben...

But I had recently PM'd Sausage - because of the high traffic of spammers recently... he said that he does come by at least once a week to just clean them up.

And as far as new moderators:
Sausage wrote:
So far we don't need to add any more moderators but there will be changes eventually that any new regos need to be signed off before appearing on the site. Waiting on Sandy for that but for now things are fairly manageable.

Maybe we can start adding the stuff to the Help/Organize section of this forum, and once it's all cleared and ready, it would be easier for Sandy/Wayne to implement them?

I wish I was better at photoshop as I could help add the puzzles in my collection :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:10 pm 

I certainly agree that we don't need any more moderators. This is the single most civilized forum I've ever seen, and we really don't need more manpower to keep it that way. The forum is fine as-is, as far as I'm concerned.

I guess I'm thinking about other possibilities for growing the site that would make it useful. The database needs a lot of work, and I don't think we have anyone who's willing to make the time commitment to keep it up-to-date. I'll bet that there are a bunch of us that would devote a bit of time to it now-and-then though.

Here's another interesting wiki database idea - it would be possible to add build instructions to the entries for custom puzzles. This would be a huge help for those interested in making a specific mod, and not too difficult to add when creating the entry in the first place.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:31 pm 

I certainly agree it is time for a MediaWiki to be installed here and the information pages to be ported to it.

Again, this is Sandy's call and accounts would be tightly controlled for publishing.

I think it's a good idea as the database is falling a little out of date. Athough there are a lot of entries there.

I also like the idea of keeping the current database but people posting images as they are without needing to chop out the background. That extra step is a major grind to contributions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:59 pm 

I don't know too much about wikis. (How do you keep spammers from flooding the database with advertizing?)

But I am all for a method to start updating the database again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:45 am 

Don't you just download something, then put it in your FTP? My friend did it on our site, didn't seem to take long either, about 30 minutes maximum.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:26 am 

I already have a rubiks cube wiki.

http://www.snkenjoi.com/wikicube

~Thom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:26 pm 

Kirjava wrote:
I already have a rubiks cube wiki.

http://www.snkenjoi.com/wikicube

~Thom

Nice page!

But what I thought Ben ment was to create a wiki for the Puzzle Database.
But that doesn't rule out that it can contain a lot more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:43 pm 

Haara wrote:
But what I thought Ben ment was to create a wiki for the Puzzle Database.
But that doesn't rule out that it can contain a lot more...

I guess I was thinking about the database, articles section, and solutions pages, really, as well as the monthly contests. Assuming that puzzle creators wanted to, they could create a page for their new puzzle, with photos, description, and any other information that's relevant, including building instructions and/or solution information, links to the creator's site, etc. That page could be linked into the contest page for the month it was created, making viewing of all the puzzles in the contest very easy.

The "Ultimate Puzzle Building/Modding Topic" is another thing that would make a really excellent wiki page. It would be very easy to find for newcomers/beginners (effectively "sticky") and probably easier to read. In fact, interesting threads from the message board could also be indexed/linked on a page of their own.

There are lots of creative ways that the site could become more valuable, and with a wiki the workload would be spread out amongst those that really want to contribute, and those who have time. ;-)

So yeah, I was really thinking about the "a lot more" part, rather than just replacing the database.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:51 pm 

This would be a really good addition to the site, we could even have post up information on speedcubing methods, and tips on how to utilise them properly, etc etc.

We could even put an unnofficial record page on it too? Or shall we leave that to speedcubing.com?

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:10 pm 

Ben Hendry wrote:
So yeah, I was really thinking about the "a lot more" part, rather than just replacing the database.

Oops...
My bad :oops: :? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:44 pm 

Yes certainly puzzle making articles and articles in general could be well served with a mediawiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:47 pm 

How about a TwistyPuzzles/WikiCube merger?

~Thom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:35 am 

I was going to suggest that, it you were willing to allow us to use your site Kirjava. Since you already have one running, why don't we all just add to Kirjava's and then link to it from the site?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:44 am 

Yeah, I don't have the largest userbase in the world, but about 6 of us so far have made hundreds of articles. I think with a larger userbase, they would be a much more comprehensive encyclopedia.

Plus, I don't want to have to compete with a rival like twisty :P

~Thom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:06 pm 

Kirjava wrote:
How about a TwistyPuzzles/WikiCube merger?

~Thom

An idea with much merit! Very easy to implement, as all that's required are a link or two to get started. If it turns out to be a Very Good Thing(TM), perhaps the sites could be integrated more fully somehow.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:06 pm 

WikiCube is a good site but I'm not sure its direction is 100% compatible with direction here. My preference would be to start with a fresh mediawiki install and move the existing articles to it to develop a clean structure and see where we go from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:39 am 

Get's my vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:52 am 

Pembo wrote:
Get's my vote.

dito

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:59 am 

Sounds excellent. I would love to participate in this! :)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:13 pm 

Sounds good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:15 am 

sounds cool.