Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mefferts 1982 catalogue
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:18 pm 

Georges Helm has kindly sent me a scan of Mefferts 1982 catalogue. Although I have seen some of the pictures before I have never seen the whole thing. I believe that many of the puzzles are cardboard mock-ups and were never made. It is only recently that people have actually managed to construct some of them. I have decided to leave the pictures high resolution as I guess people will want to keep them. If people are interested I could also post Christoph Bandelows basic B+W catalogues and similar old items. It might be a few weeks before I get round to it though.

Attachments:
meffert01.jpg
meffert01.jpg [ 872.6 KiB | Viewed 4056 times ]
meffert02.jpg
meffert02.jpg [ 295.67 KiB | Viewed 3992 times ]
meffert03.jpg
meffert03.jpg [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 3910 times ]
meffert04.jpg
meffert04.jpg [ 1004.31 KiB | Viewed 3894 times ]
meffert05.jpg
meffert05.jpg [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 3958 times ]
meffert06.jpg
meffert06.jpg [ 1016.92 KiB | Viewed 3904 times ]
meffert07.jpg
meffert07.jpg [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 4069 times ]
meffert08.jpg
meffert08.jpg [ 868 KiB | Viewed 3863 times ]
meffert09.jpg
meffert09.jpg [ 998.54 KiB | Viewed 3822 times ]
meffert10.jpg
meffert10.jpg [ 408.41 KiB | Viewed 3828 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:28 pm 

these are awesome! Uwe looks so young!!

wow, the rubik/puzzle world has come along way hasn't it? I'm happy that I can get my hands on them :) and not just cardboard mock ups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:55 pm 

Now that is some interesting WISH list! ;)

Thanks for sharing this with us, it is a remarkable catalogue!

Peter

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:03 am 

Out of all of them, I would want a Pyraminx Crystal.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:09 am 

The crystal is sweet but i love the jr. barrel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:29 am 

I'd love to have a real magic pentagon and magic hexagon!

Post subject: Pyraminx
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:58 pm 

Do ya think he was into pyramids??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:34 pm 

Tony,
Do you think you can reproduce some of the non-existent ones?

Vadim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:17 am 

Oh my god...
1. Can anybody tell me, how the Pyraminx Ultimate was supposed to work?
2. The Magic Icosahedron is Dogic without moving tips, isn't it?
3. Magic Barrel Senior is just 3x3x1 or am I wrong?

I would like to own them! All of them!
Andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:50 pm 

Vadim,
I would definately make the puzzles if I could but so far I have been unable to come up with a way to make them. I thought perhaps the Pyraminx Ultimate could be made by extending a 3x3x3 cube the same way that Jin did for his 3x3x5 but on all 6 sides but I am not so sure now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:00 am 

actually tony, i think you're onto something there. If you extended the 3x3x3 on all sides and made the sides functional, and then truncated the added on edges to each side so that they were flat, and you also truncated the added on corners. But the corners of the main cube that you added onto would also have to be truncated like this image. http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pid=655

I think it is possible, it would just take a long time... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:13 am 

If I recall correctly, the Pyraminx Ultimate is just a truncated 5x5x5. Truncated so deeply that the common edges are all lost, but the corners (which are deeply rooted in the puzzle) remain.

If you dig through the patents, this appeared to be a step along the way to the creation of the 5x5x5. That is, the 5x5x5 is a Pyraminx Ultimate with functional pieces added!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:30 am 

Joshua, you're correct. I remember this patent as well: http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=EP0075959

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:24 am 

Ryan Thompson wrote:
actually tony, i think you're onto something there. If you extended the 3x3x3 on all sides and made the sides functional, and then truncated the added on edges to each side so that they were flat, and you also truncated the added on corners. But the corners of the main cube that you added onto would also have to be truncated like this image. http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pid=655

I think it is possible, it would just take a long time... :(

Or, you could simply extend it with pieces from this puzzle: http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pid=392
3 of those puzzles ought to do it... assuming you could find 3 of the right size. L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:12 pm 

Looking on the pictures I get somewhat anoyed about that everything is named pyraminx...

I can see that some of these are produced "for real" but they all have different names then, right? (okey, one or two might have the same, but you get my point...)

What about a contest, the first one to make one of hte puzzles Tony havn't figured out how to make? :P

Post subject: Mefferts
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:27 am 

why not just call Uwe Meffert and ask him for the secret recipe. Im sure he would be more than happy to supply that. I have spoken to him a couple of times. He's a pretty nice guy when it comes to puzzles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:07 pm 

Hi!

Sorting old papers I found some mail from Meffert of 1985. From that offer I bought the Skewb, Megaminx and Impossiball.

I thought, that's a nice addon to the catalogue Tony posted. I've never heard anything of this Good News - Bad News game later on. Has it ever gone into production?

- Frank -

Attachments:
File comment: Has anybody ever seen this game?
GoodNews_BadNews_72ppi.jpg
GoodNews_BadNews_72ppi.jpg [ 176.34 KiB | Viewed 3400 times ]
File comment: Puzzle prices Xmas 1985
PuzzlersClub_XmasOffer_72ppi.jpg
PuzzlersClub_XmasOffer_72ppi.jpg [ 123.83 KiB | Viewed 3387 times ]
File comment: Meffert's 1985 catalogue
puzzles_72ppi.jpg
puzzles_72ppi.jpg [ 94.21 KiB | Viewed 3361 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:09 pm 

Frank,

I have the Good News/Bad news game. It's currently unopened so I can't tell you a whole lot about it. It was manufactured by A-O-A Ltd. in Hong Kong. The outside of the box does not have a copyright or manufacture date. The game is in a long narrow box and the pyraminx is included but separate.

Hope that helps,
Dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:19 pm 

Hi Dale,

thanks for this info.

Maybe anybody else also owns this game and has played it. I was amused about the maybe 'embarrassing subjects' mentioned. That made me curious.. :wink:
Also, I don't have a clear idea, how the Pyraminx is involved in this game.

- Frank -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:26 pm 

Frank Tiex wrote:
Hi Dale,

thanks for this info.

Maybe anybody else also owns this game and has played it. I was amused about the maybe 'embarrassing subjects' mentioned. That made me curious.. :wink:

- Frank -

Never having seen the game, I'd imagine it would be a substitute for the dice. Instead of chancing where you land, you could solve a certain colour related to the square you wanted to move to, eg. Red = 1, Green = 2, Yellow = 3 and Blue = 4. It would certainly be a neat idea. IMHO. Leave it to Uwe to find another way to get a pyramid in there somewhere. :wink: L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:01 pm 

Tim Browne wrote:
Frank Tiex wrote:
Hi Dale,

thanks for this info.

- Frank -

Never having seen the game, I'd imagine it would be a substitute for the dice. Instead of chancing where you land, you could solve a certain colour related to the square you wanted to move to, eg. Red = 1, Green = 2, Yellow = 3 and Blue = 4. It would certainly be a neat idea. IMHO. Leave it to Uwe to find another way to get a pyramid in there somewhere. :wink: L8r.

I bought this game a wile ago, but havn't actually played with it... :(
Anyway, I have read the rules though, and the pyraminx is used instead of a dice, but with a twist.
You can roll the dice to get points, but you use the pyraminx to make your oppponants pay points...
That is if the opponant knows nothing about how to solve it...
The procedure goes like this:
You are red player, and another opponent are green. Now you challenge your opponent with the pyraminx (if you are on the same space of the playing court)...
Your opponent now have a count to hundred to complete the green side of the pyraminx. If one complete green side is reached you have to pay the green player $9000 ($1000 for each piece), but if one complete side isn't reached you still pay $1000 for each green on the side with the most green, but the green player have to pay $3000 for every red that is present on that side.
The rulebook wrote:
The Ph.D Pyramidier (the red player in example above /Haara) should make a big profit, eapecially if he/she counts fast and shouts loudly to make the victim-opponent nervous!

Had it been some of us guys playing I guess red player would have to pay, and not the opposite, as the game thinks :D

Another thing, to go back to talk about the catalog...
Does anybody of you know how the double pyraminx is supposed to be turned, etc.?

And is it possible for anyone of you guys with more knowlede than me to list what puzzles have been done, and what ones have not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:29 pm 

Wooow :roll:

Seeing such old memorabilia make me wanna go back in time ... hehe ... Many of the puzzles that came out at the time never found their way to norway. I really love the pyraminx cristal. But im quite sure that that one has already been made right?

Back in 1982 or so i wrote a solution for Alexander Star. But it never got published. However, a friend of mine did write a solution for the revenge that did get published. Sadly i lost my copy a long time ago :cry: Alexander Star is maybe the worst quality puzzle ever made. The plastic clips holding the pieces were notoriously fragile and snapped very easily. I still have my broken Star somewhere...

After 1983 no new interesting puzzles were sold in norway until the Masterball came out. This was i believe mid to late 90's ?? After the 3x3x3 cube fad faded i did keep on cubing all the time until now. In mid 80's my interest changed towards fewest moves solving, supercube solving and making up pretty patterns. In my old notes i have over 250 pretty patterns that i constructed all by hand. I *invented* insertions as part of my process for designing pretty patterns :P My favourite was i guess supercube fewest moves solving. It was quite intriguing. Noone else has as far as i know picked that up seriously.

-Per :solved:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:59 pm 

perfredlund wrote:
However, a friend of mine did write a solution for the revenge that did get published.

Hej Per, Do you remember the name of your friend (I hope so :wink: ) and the title of the book? Tack!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:46 am 

Hei Georges!

I'm sorry im not 100% sure of the title. But it was something very similar to this:

"Slik løser du superkuben."

Yes, we called the Revenge the Supercube back then. I never saw the 5x5x5 cube in norway back then :-( His name is Geir Sundet. Publisher was Spektrum Forlag (Spektrum Verlag in german). I don't even remember how the solution was anymore, but definitely very similar to layer-by-layer approach. I contributed an algorithm for the parity fix, flipping a "dedge" :)

Kind regards,

Per

PS! Btw im not swedish but norwegian :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:34 pm 

God kveld Per,
I saw that your location is Norway, not Sweden. Unnskyld!
Takk for the informations. It would be great if you could locate within the next years :P a copy of this booklet for me. I am amazed that there are always new books appearing, the existence of which I didn't even suspect.
Adjø.
Georges