Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Adam Zamora's 4x4x4 Octahedron
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:14 pm 

Okay, I finally got pictures for all of you. This project took me about 15-17 hours to complete. 2 1/2 4x4x4 puzzles and alot of Magic Sculpt. Its not a true Octahedron, but more of a square dipyramid. Everyone at the competition has enjoyed it and loved how it looks. I encorporated the Rubiks logo on the insides of the edge pieces (you can see in the pictures). I mixed it on Saturday and didn't finish it until today, so its a hard puzzle. This will not be for sale unless there is a huge amount offered to me. okay enough talk on with the pictures.

Attachments:
Octahedron 005.jpg
Octahedron 005.jpg [ 176.39 KiB | Viewed 1510 times ]
Octahedron 001.jpg
Octahedron 001.jpg [ 148.23 KiB | Viewed 1176 times ]
Octahedron 002.jpg
Octahedron 002.jpg [ 139.39 KiB | Viewed 1142 times ]
Octahedron 006.jpg
Octahedron 006.jpg [ 152.05 KiB | Viewed 1101 times ]
Octahedron 007.jpg
Octahedron 007.jpg [ 208.45 KiB | Viewed 1110 times ]
Octahedron 008.jpg
Octahedron 008.jpg [ 157.18 KiB | Viewed 1152 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:16 pm 

wow :shock:

very nice adam! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:25 pm 

thanks for showing us. i just have one question, do the tips move, and by tips i mean outer most layers on the top and bottom, or do the middle and next up only move. Basically what im asking is, are the tips just build ups?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:33 pm 

Great Job!! :D I love the way it looks!
When it is mixed, it must be very disconcerting to perform the moves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:09 pm 

How huge of an amount of money will it take to have you sell it?
You won't have to answer this here if you don't want to and I couldn't afford it anyways so its not that I might be your man. But I can tell you if it was mine or if I had one of those for some incomprehensible reason it would take a huge huge amount of money to get. :wink: It's awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:30 am 

thanks for the feedback, great feedback is one of the reasons why i love to build puzzled. ill answer some questions.

the tips. the tips are just a build up of the top and bottom center 4 pieces of a 4x4x4. i considered making them turn but then it would make the puzzle easier to solve and alot more fragile, so i stuck to just a build up.

Leander. like i said 15-17 hours of work, i lost track, and 2 1/2 cubes. you do the math........ ok ill do it for you about $360 to build it. $300 in labor (15 hours x $20 per hour = $300) and $60 in parts (3 cubes) plus stickering it and magic sculpt for filling in the edges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:44 am 

It is a very nice puzzle, although I didn't get a chance to play with it too much. It's amazing how time flies at tournaments....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:54 pm 

Very, very impressive mod. I'm a big fan of this general shape, and this big one is fabulous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:21 pm 

im just checking to see if i did the picture right. thanks Carter for the comment.

Attachments:
Octahedron 500.jpg
Octahedron 500.jpg [ 45.08 KiB | Viewed 2709 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:37 am 

Hello All!

As I had recently purchased this from Adam, he asked me to share my thoughts.

At first I didn't realize what I was getting into. I thought it'd be a regular 4x4x4, until I noticed that all the pieces have to be orientated correctly!! Thus all those supercube questions he asked around that time he posted this topic.

I have to get used to these - I don't have any supercubes (other than a picture 3x3x3) so this is going to be a challenge for me.

Anyway, the puzzle is very deceiving! There is a lot of visualization with this one! The Center pieces are in the center, obviously, but not all the same pieces!! Some are at the edge of the puzzle while some are at the tip and is a different shape from the edges - but all being the center of the 4x4x4. The edge pieces are like this as well! Some rectangular and some that are the corner tips! What surprised me the most was the Corner pieces. Now the corners are NOT EVEN AT THE CORNER!! they're inbetween the centers and the edges.

SO VERY MISLEADING!

This is a great transformation Adam! I only played with this for a few hours last night (I just got it in the mail). And was isolated from the world during that time lol.

It's very tricky to trying to line up the twists. Not because it's hard or locks up, but because of all the different shapes you really have to look to see where it lines up. But once you start solving it, and pieces group together you can see a transformation to a more solid puzzle as you get closer.

Very cool indeed.

Still working on solving it completely though. So I'll have to analyze the Dipyramid a little bit more before I dive into that one. That puzzle is a super cube as well. More visualization!

Btw - in terms of craftsmanship. It's really well made, smooth. Stickers are cut well. And the Adam's Cube sticker adds a nice touch :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:32 am 

Follow up:

I solved it!! Wow, it took a lot of work...

Solved centers, *learned a new algorithm to 'super solve' the center, paired the edges - with having to note which extended piece pairs up with another extended piece - because the two halves can rotate, this can be a bit tricky the first time around. Then solve like a 3x3x3. I did run into an edge parity issue. Then had to orientate the centers again like a picture cube.

I totally feel an accomplishment here. To see it mixed up and then transform into a complete puzzle felt so good!

Thanks Adam, with your help I was able to solve a few other puzzles I had trouble with. Dominos/2x3x3, and 2x2xN cubes.

reeeech