Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Container update (and history)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:04 pm 

The puzzle I am most asked about is my Container. This is probably due to the fact that previously I have made only around 7 and I have yet to construct remakes. The Container is one of the few puzzles I have made which wasn't my idea. As I recall it was originally designed by the German Jean-Claude Constantine. I had seen a drawn version many years ago and to be honest I didn't really understand what it was. A friend of mine suggested I make it and I spent a lot of time working it out. It is in fact a fairly straight forward Skewb transformation. I was fairly new to transforming puzzles and was using my remeltable rubber and resin technique. This didn't work very well for the container since the pieces were very big and I ran into lots of problems. The puzzle I made worked fine but was enormous and not accurately made. For this reason I abandoned the project and moved on to easier puzzles. After numerous requests for the puzzle I recently set about designing and making a new smaller better quality version. Although I have never previously transformed a mini Skewb this seemed the obvious puzzle to use. After many hours I finished my first Mini Container. Everything seemed fine until I actually tried it. Unfortunately it was rubbish. It was very loose and fell apart quite easily. Also, since the moves don't "click" into place as they do on a full size Skewb it is quite frustrating finding where one move ends and the next starts. So, another container rejected. This left the rather difficult task of creating a Container which has the movement of a full size Skewb, yet was not too big, light and accurately made. Tonight I have finished such a puzzle and below you can see it (the medium size one) along side the restickered original full size prototype and the rejected Mini. How did I make it? I think I'll let you figure it out.
I do not know when, how or if this puzzle will be available for sale and cannot take advance orders.

Attachments:
aa 3 containers low res.jpg
aa 3 containers low res.jpg [ 57.92 KiB | Viewed 1984 times ]
ab 3 containers 2  low res.jpg
ab 3 containers 2 low res.jpg [ 31.6 KiB | Viewed 1984 times ]
ac 3 containers 3 low res.jpg
ac 3 containers 3 low res.jpg [ 40.94 KiB | Viewed 1981 times ]
ad 3 containers 4 low res.jpg
ad 3 containers 4 low res.jpg [ 35.88 KiB | Viewed 1984 times ]

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:21 pm 

This looks awesome and lovely. :wink: :wink: :) :D 8-) :wink: I always love larger then normal size puzzles with the clicking sound. For me a large heavy puzzle makes it feel more solid, sturdy and less fragile. Am I the only one that likes them that way? :shock:

Last edited by Darren Grewe on Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:01 pm 

You made only 7 of them ?!
That's why I have never seen one. I am not a puzzle builder and would have never guessed that it is so hard to make one. Infact the idea seemed always pretty straightforward to me as well.
Is your new skewb container gonna stay the only one in the world?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:47 pm 

I started to build this a little while ago with a keychain skewb and some white styrene. It seems like the container would be a great puzzle!

Attachments:
container.jpg
container.jpg [ 65.23 KiB | Viewed 1956 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:16 am 

The difficulty Leander is to produce a puzzle which is of the highest possible quality, that people can enjoy without worrying about it coming apart or breaking if it is dropped. I certainly want to make more but I haven't decided on the details yet. BTW I have no plans to auction this puzzle in the foreseeable future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:11 am 

Dear Tony, J.-C. Constantine is a frenchman, but living in germany.
I have a big container and I´m satisfied with the quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:57 am 

HI Tony,

The skewb in the picture with the 3 containers. Is that a regular size skewb or a keychain skewb?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:11 am 

Thanks for the correction Hendrik and apologies to Jean-Claude.
The Skewb is regular size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:34 pm 

Tony,
How come you have containers in 3 different sizes?
One was made from a full-sized skewb, one from a key-chain and the third one...?
Could you reveal the secret please?
Vadim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:39 pm 

I think since it's a deep cut puzzle, you can make it just about any size you want. You can make a full size skewb from a keychain skewb in other words.