Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:32 pm 

Quote:
There is a catch though. He retains the mass production rights until you pay him for his time. That way you can't start making big money on the puzzle without him getting paid for the time he put in.

how much does this "time" cost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:01 am 

His working charge is $50/hour, and he worked on my pieces for about 4 hours. Therefore about 200 + 5 shipping.

There are definitely other places that will do rapid prototyping. There are even some commercial websites. It all comes to about that much in the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:39 am 

the reason im wondering is because im looking to build a truncated icosahedron pyraminx puzzle, and its basically impossible to construct accurately the truncated center pieces from clay. So i was looking into getting the two (yes count them two total pieces) pieces to the puzzle made so that i could then cast the 30 edges and 12 centers. The pieces would be almost identical to those of the octahedron and pyraminx, just different angles.

o ya and i forgot to ask, where does he live?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:39 am 

I don't really remember where he lives, but he does have a website.
http://www.puzzlepalace.com/

Hopefully it will be able to answer any questions that I can't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:22 am 

Darren Grewe wrote:
What are you going to call this puzzle of yours?

Well, I don't know if this has been answered yet or not, but I'd suggest Teraminx. I realise that the traditional name for this puzzle is "Giga"minx, but there's actually one order of Minx between this one and the Mega which IMHO should be called Giga, and this would be one step up from that, therefore Tera. It could also lead to come interesting double entendres later on... if you ever met someone called Tara and told her the name, she might take it as a sign that you were fated to be together. An environmentalist would hear "Terra"minx and believe you to be a "friend of the Earth". You could perhaps even get some globe stickers made up (by Cubesmith, perhaps?) and turn it into a REAL "Terraminx". :D Very mindblowing mod by the way. Congratulations! So, when do we get to see it stickered? :D L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:05 am 

I'm pretty sure I said I was calling it a gigaminx somewhere in the thread.
Oh, and I originally tried designing this as a 4 order, but that didn't work all too well. I didn't know the crystal existed at that time. That would have made it easier.

As to seeing it stickered, I'm still working on molding the second iteration. In all honesty, it's boring work to inject plastic by hand and I don't watch TV all that much anymore (that's when I usually do it) so it's taking a while.
Currently, I'm trying to figure out how to adapt the megaminx cores to the Gigaminx and making new molds (my old ones kinda disintegrated).

TBTTyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:12 pm 

I think that this puzzle has been established as the Gigaminx, both in this post (and first real puzzle) as well as the other discussions throughout this forum. Besides, I have my own designs for the Gigaminx and Teraminx (in progress), and I don't want to rename the part drawings. :wink:

There are two families of puzzles here, the Crystal puzzles and the Megaminx puzzles. The difference being if the adjacent edge pieces turn with the face (Crystal does, Megaminx does not) I drew up a couple of sketches to show the difference.

Attachments:
File comment: Large Version
Minx.jpg
Minx.jpg [ 120.86 KiB | Viewed 2875 times ]
Minx (small).jpg
Minx (small).jpg [ 41.35 KiB | Viewed 7309 times ]

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:20 pm 

God I love all of those pictures, wish they were all real and easy to get. Keep going and make pictures all the way to 11 for both of Minxes and the Crystals. I'd also like to see the evens for the Minxes.

Sorry I know its probably to much to ask for the pictures. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:39 am 

Interestingly enough, there's a puzzle somewhere in between the gigaminx and the master crystal that I came across during my design phase.

Think about it like this: Move the slices of a megaminx in towards the middle and you get a crystal.
The same thing can be done with the gigaminx>master crystal. However there's an extra edge in there, so we don't move the cut all the way in. Only move the edges in so they intersect at this new cut.

It doesn't move exactly the same as either because the inner layer also turns an edge.

Now for the big problem ....

What do we call it? ;)

TBTTyler

Attachments:
Between.jpg
Between.jpg [ 13.37 KiB | Viewed 7261 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:03 pm 

Puzzlemaster42 wrote:
I think that this puzzle has been established as the Gigaminx, both in this post (and first real puzzle) as well as the other discussions throughout this forum. Besides, I have my own designs for the Gigaminx and Teraminx (in progress), and I don't want to rename the part drawings. :wink:

There are two families of puzzles here, the Crystal puzzles and the Megaminx puzzles. The difference being if the adjacent edge pieces turn with the face (Crystal does, Megaminx does not) I drew up a couple of sketches to show the difference.

I can certainly understand that, but at the risk of getting scooped by someone else on puzzles that I've been mulling over for some time now, I'm posting another picture here. I believe both will work, and already have a mehanism in mind for both, once I develop my puzzle building skills (oh wow, now I've REALLY got to get that camera...). So, if the order 5 is going to be called the Gigaminx, what should the one in the bottom right be called? IMHO, that one should be called the Giga, and Tyler's the Tera. L8r.[/img]

Attachments:
Minx2.jpg
Minx2.jpg [ 62.12 KiB | Viewed 3158 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:17 pm 

What I did was make a megaminx with an extra layer, and therefore used the 'minx' suffix. The idea and name aren't even mine. They came waay before I thought of it. I just made it real.

Those are two completely new puzzles that you have the idea for. I think a more personal name would be better.

TBTTyler Fox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:33 pm 

Tim Browne wrote:
So, if the order 5 is going to be called the Gigaminx, what should the one in the bottom right be called? IMHO, that one should be called the Giga, and Tyler's the Tera. L8r.[/img]

This is how I see it because I'm just going along with the cube version or should we do something different for our 12 sided friends here(Minxes).

This is IMHO only

top right hand corner.........Professor Minx(I like the sound of yours better)

bottom left hand corner.......Mini Minx(This sounds so cute)

Bottom right hand corner......Revenge Minx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:40 pm 

so, i figure that if you wanted to solve the centers, you would have to place a leg of the star, then a leg and a point, then another leg and point, followed by a third leg and piont, and finaly two points and a leg inbetween them.

on a 5x5x5, id normaly do opposite sides, but i think you might have to work from one end to the other because of how obscure (and neat) the megaminx style moves are.

grouping the edges shouldnt be too difficult, and then youve got a regular old megaminx. there shouldnt be too many new algs unless theres a parity problem

im in the bad habit of turning every one of my new puzzles into a supper cube, and i dont want to think of how difficult that would be with this, especially considering that i cant get my supper 5x5x5 cube down yet, but it shouldn't be too difficult if you know how to do a supper 5, seeing how similar the dodecahedrons are to cubes.

one question though, is it possible to make a megaminx revenge, being a megaminx with 4 pieces per edge? im fairly certain its impossible.