Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: Very Disappointed...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:03 pm 

I received this wonderful e-mail yesterday from a "Pigish Pigish [pigishpuzzler@hotmail.com]":

Quote:
IF YOU CAN'T KEEP BOTH THE DATABASE AND FORUM CURRENT THEN GIVE ONE UP!

I have submitted several puzzles over the last couple of months yet they still are unpublished. Come on give others a chance to contribute if you can't.

DON'T BE A PIGISH AND THINK YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN CONTRIBUTE.

ANOTHER THAT PISSES ME OFF IS YOUR GOD COMPLEX ABOUT YOU PUZZLE COLLECTION. IT IS NOT GOD'S GIFT THE THE TWISTY WORLD. IN FACT DO YOU HAVE MORE THAN 10 COLLECTIBLE ITEMS BUT YOU DO HAVE 750 3X3X3 BYTHE LOOKS OF THE DATABASE. THAT EXCITES ME!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine how impressed I am.

I don't have to tell the mature visitors of this site how much dedication it takes to do what I do. I have a full time job, a wife and a 1-year old son, not to mention my other hobbies. This is the first time someone has complained about the job I'm doing, and I know this person is primarily venting out of some other unrelated issue, but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.

BTW, only a few people have contributed over the past few months. I can't tell you how much I hate that they are all now suspect of being this moron.

Feel free to start a site of your own, Pigish.

Pigish did have one valid point, a point which I tend to make myself in the introduction to every newsletter these days. It often takes me ages to process user contributions. If you would like your contributions to appear in the database quicker here are a few tips:

1) Take better pictures and make my life easier. Most pictures on this site could be better, and I'm an average photographer at best, but I do know that I (and most people) take pictures well enough to warrant the time spent formatting and uploading them to the site. It's so nice to receive high quality, worry free pictures... even if I don't manage to process them immediately.

2) Format the pictures if you have the software and the skill. I just love slapping up preformatted pictures and feeling like I actually did some work. It often takes me ages to salvage something usable out of the many sub-quality pictures I receive. I apologize if anyone takes this the wrong way, but it's true. Although I shouldn't really be apologizing... I always try my best before giving up, and I always let you know when I do give up. This is particularly depressing because I want to make something useful out of the photograph, but sometimes I just can't.

3) Fill out the apropriate form on the Contribute page. Each time you do that, you save me at least a few minutes of thought, research and composition. Those few minutes might be enough to allow me to add one more puzzle before my time runs out.

4) Have patience with me. I'm one person, and I work far too hard with no reward other than the sense of community and the sense of accomplishment enjoyed by those who give more than they get.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:25 pm 

well, I personally think you are doing a wonderful job and I enjoy this site very much. It seems to me that pigish has issues other than his jealousy of you and your site.

keep up the good work Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:03 pm 

Sandy, there are people, and there are days, all good, bad, and average. Could happen to anyone. Just let it go. You're doing a voluminous job that nobody could handle to the degree you have. So I am taking this opportunity to thank you for what you're doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:34 pm 

I too would like to THANK YOU for all of the work you have put into this site. its been a great pleasure using it. i know that i can show anyone with a computer what my collection looks like because of you. Thank you again!

Everyone should put a Thanks to Sandy and everyone who has contributed to this web site.8-) (hint hint)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:05 pm 

The only way that pigish email could be justified is if it were an April Fools joke. Sandy, you surely are the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:21 pm 

at first i was going insaine when i heard that the TM fourm was going down right when i started to let people know that i read the post every day, it was announced that the site was merging with twisty puzzles.com but i have to agree now that (as quoted in the McDonalds comersial "Change is good") and i am glad that wayne trusted this fourm with sandy. Sandy has done a great job with this fourm and i apreciate all of his work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:05 pm 

I really appreciate all your hard work and dedication Sandy. This site remains an inspiration to me.
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:31 pm 

If Sandy was paid a regular wage by the twisty community, then perhaps notes like this could be acceptable; but this is not the case. Free services should be appreciated regardless of level, and common courtesy never goes astray.

And it was for this reason that Twisty Megasite content was handed over to Sandy - It's a lot of upkeep and time and it was becoming a burden for me. Twistypuzzles.com is a big job.

It's fine for people to be critical, and even start their own projects. That energy soon dies down.

We have a good community here, we can let this issue slide.

Sandy, give me a yell if you need photoshop/image processing work done.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:11 pm 

Sandy,

First of all, it wasn't me :)
Secondly, it amazes me how one negative comment can shadow all the positive praise that this growing community has bestowed unto this forum. Personally I make appoint of it to check the forum on a daily basis (as time permits) and rarely have I seen any negativity. If it is an april fool's joke it is in bad taste.

I wish the perpetrator will come to his senses and send an apology and that you will share that one with us too

gabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:51 pm 

Sandy, I think that you are doing a great job. Don't let anyone get you down. I feel glad that someone as computer-competent as you exists in the twisty world. I wouldn't have the first clue if I wanted to run a forum.

Doug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:02 pm 

My 2 cents...

I don't think anyone of us would (given the opportunity) be able to do better than Sandy,
This is a great web site, and we all know the hard work Sandy has/is putting in this venture.

Said this before, and i'll say it again, I really like the members of this tight-knit-puzzle-community because we all share the same passion, and this place is immune to such negative and harsh posts
...so i find it's a cheap shot that the last person to register sends a negative e-mail.

Personally i have, in the past contributed, (nothing much) and believe me I sent in a couple of pictures trying to respect Sandy's guide lines, and i know how time consuming it can be.

I am willing to pitch in again.

Twisty Megasite, Jaap's puzzle page, Ton's Puzzle Building page, and TwistyPuzzle.com are all places that contribute largely to my twisty puzzle passion on a daily basis.

Keep up the GREAT work Sandy.

Michael
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:30 pm 

That was a comment from someone who probably doesn't understand how things were before Twisty Megasite and the Virtual Museum. This person obviously does not have patience. So here are my two cents. The last thing I want to see is Sandy getting burned down because of all the effort.

Sandy, take your time and don't sacrifice your family because of the pressure to add and improve the site. Enjoy it and take pride of of a website that is an improvement of what was there before. I can wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:00 am 

Sandy,thanks for your great work, we love this side :!: :!: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:40 pm 

From me as well:
You are doing a wonderful work, I love this site.
Keep on doing that wonderful job and don't worry about some envious mongrels!!

Bye, Markus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:14 pm 

It's my first thing I check when I go on the internet!!! I love the sites, the community (people)and the puzzles. Keep up the great work Sandy!!!!!!!!! :D :) :lol: 8-) :wink: No pressure!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:33 pm 

I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a "Sandy Love-In", but I'll take it. Thank you all for the kind words and for all your help along the way.

Looking forward to a productive weekend of photo additions.

Sandy

Post subject: Some people have nothing better to do!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:02 am 

Haven't been here much of the last few months (workload etc) but the site just gets better and better. I may not post loads but I read almost all threads (haven't read any for ages though sorry as I'm busy) I've submitted on or two things recently and they've been amended pretty damn sharpish.

You could report the guy for abusive emails, but where would that get you?
Just ignore him/her and let them carry on in their own sweet way. They'll get bored of slagging people off soon enough. Just sit back and relax. I've got a full time job, no kids (but I do have a dog, a cat, two guinea pigs and 11 rats to keep me busy), my cubes and arious other hobbies. On top of this I have to keep the website for my partners company (and the computers) up and running. Compared to TwistyPuzzles.com my website is tiny so I admire everything you do, personally I'd probably have given up years ago!

Chris

PS > Will edit any photos before I send them in in future!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:51 am 

Sandy, you're the best! Keep up the GREAT work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:23 am 

Thanks again guys.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:37 pm 

i know, i jus got here now, but even as a newcomer i love the site. i would say more but it isnt anything you havent already heard

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]