Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Qubami update: packaging design
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:23 am 

Just before my SolidWorks license expired, I managed to complete some designs for my Qubami puzzle, which I've just sent off to injection moulders for quotes (see pictures below). :D

Note: the red/yellow/blue colours are for illustration only, to show the 3 different parts that need to be moulded.

Attachment:
Qubami.jpg
Qubami.jpg [ 66.16 KiB | Viewed 6106 times ]

Attachment:
Qubami (open).jpg
Qubami (open).jpg [ 80.21 KiB | Viewed 6103 times ]

Last edited by KelvinS on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Post subject: Re: DEFSWL / Qubami update
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:49 am 

Just curious, in you avatar it looks like the stickers are bubbled out. Are you using bubble stickers on the actual cube if it gets made?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:59 am 

funmonkey54 wrote:
Just curious, in you avatar it looks like the stickers are bubbled out. Are you using bubble stickers on the actual cube if it gets made?

Yes, that's my intention as I think they look and feel really nice. They're more expensive than standard flat vinyl labels, but hopefully worth it ... I want to create a puzzle that's physically beautiful, as well as thoroughly engaging and addictive! :D

Also, from a practical point, bubble stickers are thick and strong enough to cover the hole in the centre pieces without caving in (unlike flat vinyl stickers), so no need to produce and insert separate caps that would add to the production and assembly cost. :wink:

Last edited by KelvinS on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:07 am 

I'd actually like to have a cube with that design to use as a speed cube! It looks like it can cut corners in its sleep :D :scrambled:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:15 am 

eMp_dWa wrote:
I'd actually like to have a cube with that design to use as a speed cube! It looks like it can cut corners in its sleep :D :scrambled:

Thanks for the positive comments.

And, yes, besides creating a unique and distinctive design/brand, my intention was to allow corner cutting for speedcubers, hence the question I raised in an earlier thread just to check the concept:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13875

I'm not sure if this idea will work, but I don't think it will be worse than any of the standard cubic designs...

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:08 am 

Dude, you need to tell me the 3D-Print Service you use in switzerland, i was searching one for like MONTHS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:33 pm 

Wow, cool design! When using the right kind of plastic and a little silicone spray this might also become a very good speedcube. I would love to try to solve the Qubami sometime but I'm not very good in solving virtual puzzles on the computer. So I'm definately buying the physical puzzle!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:58 pm 

luke1984 wrote:
Wow, cool design! When using the right kind of plastic and a little silicone spray this might also become a very good speedcube. I would love to try to solve the Qubami sometime but I'm not very good in solving virtual puzzles on the computer. So I'm definately buying the physical puzzle!

Many thanks for your supportive comments. Given some of the quotes I got so far ( :shock: ) I need all the moral support I can get!

Post subject: Re: Qubami update
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:53 am 

Some good news:

I have just taken the next BIG step toward mass production of my Qubami puzzle and ordered an injection mould to make an initial prototype batch of parts from China! :D

It wasn't cheap (the tool itself cost a few hand-made petaminxes!), so I will need your full support to make sure I don't lose my shirt/house on this. :lol: :shock: :?

I will post regular updates here on progress, maybe even a video of the tool being made. :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:56 am 

I applaud you're guts in doing this!
I am looking forward to you're updates, and owning one of these :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:15 pm 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Some good news:

I have just taken the next BIG step toward mass production of my Qubami puzzle and ordered an injection mould to make an initial prototype batch of parts from China! :D

It wasn't cheap (the tool itself cost a few hand-made petaminxes!), so I will need your full support to make sure I don't lose my shirt/house on this. :lol: :shock: :?

I will post regular updates here on progress, maybe even a video of the tool being made. :P

Indeed, that is a huge step! ;)
I see you made the molds in China, just make sure that factory won't cross you.
(it takes only one person to leak, even if all the rest are trustworthy)

Good luck and hoping to soon see some finished product!

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:10 pm 

I admire your courage, that's a lot of money to spend especially in these economic conditions. :shock:

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:20 pm 

You should also produce these as the original qubami puzzles and also speed cubes, I agree they would cut corners so nice (also it may not be aloud by wca though :x )

You just Uber Pwned a Noob

http://willscubingcenter.webs.com/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:26 pm 

What would the WCA have against them?

Alex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:01 pm 

Haha, have you seen the WCA rules! They are ridiculous, If there is ANYTHING romotly different or odd about your cube it isn't aloud (ie. tranparentsy, sticker's being slightly different in color, ect.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:07 pm 

I don't think the WCA rules are too strict and they definitely aren't ridiculous. You can use any colour cube (even transparent) as long as the transparency doesn't allow you to tell the colour of stickers that you normally couldn't see. You can use whatever colour stickers you want as long as they can be told apart.

It look to me like the Qubami cube design (when stickered with normal stickers) is perfectly WCA legal.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:10 pm 

My bad Tomz, thanks, but just letting you know that for compititions in my area (Delaware Pennsylvania New Jersey) No transparent cubes are aloud. I know dempending on who the delegate is it can be different (Mine is usually Bob Burton or Tyson Mao.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:17 pm 

There's something wrong there. As long as you can't tell the stickers apart by looking through the cube, the cube should be allowed. Either way, this is not a case of the WCA regulations being strict but the delegate doing something wrong.

OT: You are truly daring. I really like the cube design but I am a bit sceptical as to how many people will buy this. Not a lot of people can solve a cube and even less of those will want to/can solve your 3D sudoku. But who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:20 pm 

Yeah, all I know is that I know a lot of people from compititions in my area, and they have gotten turned down from using a transparent cube, and we could not see what stickers were on the otherside of the cube. (I myself have gotten turned down, and I had a black core in the way! (hybrid cube))

Well I know that most people on the forum will buy it, if the price is reasonable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:37 pm 

Hi Kelvin,

Great you ordered the molds, things are getting real now. Takes courage to do that! You'd already set up your marketing campaign here, did you set a price yet? Unfortunately I can't buy anything that comes by (bought 2 puyzzles and two books this month, couldn't resist and yes the month is still very young) so I may want to plan ahead.

One other question, probably posted earlier, but couldn't find it; is the solution unique?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:52 pm 

Many thanks for all the encouragement. I know, I must be insane, but hey, when you believe in something you gotta go for it - better to regret what you do than what you don't do...

Anyway, I'm not at all concerned by compliance with WCA, as I have read the rules and it would be very easy to apply standard plain stickers to a black base made with my mould. In fact my main concern with making a speedcubing version of the standard cube is brand dilution, as my goal is to build a distinctive product that is not so closely associated with Rubik's Cube. Therefore I would need to think seriously whether I want to go down this road. Mind you, I suppose I could easily make a few custom versions exclusive to members of this forum! :wink:

But, before I make any promises and you dream about being the envy of your competitors, let me first check that this design does indeed have any real speedcubing benefits. As I mentioned earlier, my main reason for the unique design was for distinctive branding, while speedcubing was really a secondary consideration. But who knows...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:11 pm 

@ Kelvin Stott, I wish you the best of luck no matter what you sell your puzzle as, either as a speedcube or a new puzzle.

*btw, I've checked the WCA regulations and apart from maybe the stickers this puzzle should definitely be accepted.*

Alex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:35 pm 

Sweet, and since there aren't that many people on the forum that are speedcubers, it shouldn't be too many, but I would buy them, are you using a DIY core?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:45 pm 

Just posted my last message when I saw the message from maarten:

maarten wrote:
did you set a price yet? Unfortunately I can't buy anything that comes by (bought 2 puyzzles and two books this month, couldn't resist and yes the month is still very young) so I may want to plan ahead.

Honestly, I don't know yet. I would think within the range $10 to $40 (max) and I would generally like to keep the pice as competitive and affordable as possible, but really it depends on two things which I still need to resolve:

1. My own costs to make, assemble and sell the puzzle, which should decrease as the puzzle (hopefully) becomes popular and sells in higher volumes. Currently this is too high to be really competitive, hence point 2 below.

2. What distinctive benefits I can package with the puzzle to justify a higher, but reasonable price as a premium product above the generic puzzles. I have some specific ideas on this, but can't tell just yet. :wink:

maarten wrote:
One other question, probably posted earlier, but couldn't find it; is the solution unique?

Yes, each puzzle has just one secret solution, and in fact the solution is different for each puzzle (up to a limit), just like sudoku.

APJ wrote:
@ Kelvin Stott, I wish you the best of luck no matter what you sell your puzzle as, either as a speedcube or a new puzzle.

*btw, I've checked the WCA regulations and apart from maybe the stickers this puzzle should definitely be accepted.*

Alex

Thanks.

Last edited by KelvinS on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:27 pm 

If these end up being at a fairly affordable price, high quality and not too bad of shipping, I may order one of these whenever I need an extra cube, I really like the roundness of the cubies! :D

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:09 pm 

Kelvin, if you do decide to offer these as a "regular" cube, could you think about offering those poofy rubbery stickers in a set of six plain colors?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:06 pm 

Time for an update, as things have progressed very quickly during the past week.

So far I have been very happy and impressed with the moulding company, their work and level of service. Within two days they sent me a complete design of the mould and the individual parts. As I requested they added slight "draft" angles (about half a degree) to all surfaces perpendicular to the mould. This allows the parts to slide out of the mould more easily, and I left this work to them because it depends on how they split the mould. I did notice a couple of problems with their initial design, but they corrected these immediately:

1. They accidentally removed some fillets while adding draft angles to the surfaces. This is an easy mistake as I found in SolidWorks that fillets are quite temporamental when you go back and start playing with the basic geometry.

2. They accidentally added a very slight "undercut" to my model, as you can see from the picture below. This would have caused the part to get stuck in the mould, as steel is not quite as flexible and forgiving as silicone! Again, they quickly corrected this.

Attachment:
Qubami Corner (undercut).JPG
Qubami Corner (undercut).JPG [ 48.76 KiB | Viewed 6095 times ]

After a couple of cycles back and forth (this would have taken less than a day except that we were reviewing and refining the design in different time zones), I was able to approve the mould design, and they have already started machining.

Below you can see the complete moulding tool, with and without the casing. It looks more like a car engine than a simple mould for my puzzle, but in fact you can see the two-piece mould in the heart of the tool, as well as the yellow ejector pins coming from the ejector plate at the bottom. These push out the moulded parts between each cycle and they are also custom-made as part of the tool.

Attachment:
Qubami Tool 1.jpg
Qubami Tool 1.jpg [ 61.42 KiB | Viewed 6091 times ]

Attachment:
Qubami Tool 2.jpg
Qubami Tool 2.jpg [ 88.85 KiB | Viewed 6097 times ]

Below you can see inside one half of the mould itself, with and without the parts. The yellow circles are the ejector pins, and these sit flush with the mould surface on the inside of each part so that they will not leave any visible mark.

Attachment:
Qubami Tool 3.jpg
Qubami Tool 3.jpg [ 70.69 KiB | Viewed 6097 times ]

Attachment:
Qubami Tool 4.jpg
Qubami Tool 4.jpg [ 65.53 KiB | Viewed 6096 times ]

And finally, below you see the parts as they will be produced by the mould. You can just see the slight lines that indicate where the mould is split, and these have been specifically positioned to avoid any flash interfering with rotation of the parts in the assembled puzzle, or being visible on the exterior.

Attachment:
Qubami Corner.jpg
Qubami Corner.jpg [ 45.4 KiB | Viewed 6090 times ]

Attachment:
Qubami Edge.jpg
Qubami Edge.jpg [ 43.23 KiB | Viewed 6091 times ]

Attachment:
Qubami Centre.jpg
Qubami Centre.jpg [ 44.92 KiB | Viewed 6091 times ]

More updates to follow as things progress. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:24 pm 

Very nice to see the progress! Just out of curiosity, how much money has been invested in this project so far?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:45 pm 

squabpuzzles wrote:
Very nice to see the progress! Just out of curiosity, how much money has been invested in this project so far?

This tool was the first major investment. Apart from that I have spent very little compared with what most people seem to spend on modding materials: I prepared and filed the patents and registereed the design myself (based on experience and original guidance from UK patent office), I made my prototypes by glueing together dice, or changing the stickers on an old Rubik's Cube, I did all the CAD work with free SolidWorks license (with help from Drew's tutorial), and I paid some students to develop the online applet.

So far I have done everything I can to manage or avoid costs (the moulding tool being the main exception), so I hope this thread will encourage more people to mass produce their puzzles so that others can benefit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:01 pm 

Looks like it will be better than a type f!

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:05 pm 

An amazing insight to metal tooling!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:43 am 

Production of the Qubami mould is on track and here below you can see the main features starting to take shape according to our design. At this stage the mould looks quite rough because they have only done some basic machining, but this will look much better once they have added all the remaining cuts and inserts, done the fine machining and polished all the surfaces. :D

Attachment:
Qubami Tool - week 2 (a).png
Qubami Tool - week 2 (a).png [ 563.77 KiB | Viewed 6098 times ]

Attachment:
Qubami Tool - week 2 (b).png
Qubami Tool - week 2 (b).png [ 394.13 KiB | Viewed 6094 times ]

I should receive the first samples by 10-12th September and then once I have checked their quality the rest of the parts will follow so I should be able to send out the very first batch of puzzles by end of September! :P

Meanwhile, please don't forget to send me a PM to pre-order your very own personal, fully customised puzzle, as explained here. And many thanks to those of you who have already reserved your order - I will do my very best to meet your demands. :D

Kind regards,
Kelvin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:30 am 

I LOVE those pictures! More please :-)

There's one thing I don't understand: the ratio of corners-edges-centers. Don't you end up wasting 4 corners per puzzle?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:00 am 

TomZ wrote:
I LOVE those pictures! More please :-)

Thanks and don't worry, more will follow: I plan to take you all on an exciting journey with me through the entire process of manufacturing and launching a new puzzle, so sit back and enjoy the ride! :D

TomZ wrote:
There's one thing I don't understand: the ratio of corners-edges-centers. Don't you end up wasting 4 corners per puzzle?

Ha ha, well spotted! I was wondering if/when somebody would pick up on this.

In fact, if you look at the CAD design of the tool above, you will see an orange circle in the middle of the central runner, where a plug can be added to shut off access to the two corner pieces. This means we can get exactly the right ratio of pieces (1.0 : 2.0 : 1.33) by shutting off access to the corner pieces in 33% of the injections, so six injections will make one complete puzzle with no waste. Clever eh? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:15 am 

I noticed that but didn't mention it as I though that there must be something to ensure the correct number of pieces. Very clever solution! What are all of the other similar holes in the middle bit for?

Alex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:10 am 

APJ wrote:
I noticed that but didn't mention it as I though that there must be something to ensure the correct number of pieces. Very clever solution! What are all of the other similar holes in the middle bit for?

Alex

The central hole is called the "sprue", where the molten plastic feeds into the runner. The 3 holes between the side arms are where the ejector pins will help push out the runner once the plastic has set. And the orange hole is for the plug to close off the runner, as explained above.

For those interested, Wikipedia has a good article on injection moulding here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:23 pm 

Is there only going to be one of these molds or will multiple be made?

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:40 am 

elijah wrote:
Is there only going to be one of these molds or will multiple be made?

Hopefully I will end up making more moulds, but it depends entirely on demand.

This initial mould could produce about 100,000 puzzles before it starts to wear out. If the demand exceeds that capacity then I will need to make additional moulds, possibly with more cavities for faster production. The cost per puzzle would then decrease, but the mould itself would be much more expensive so I don't want to take this risk until I know there's enough demand to justify it. I also need to recover my costs for this first mould before I can invest any profits back into additional moulds. I hope that makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:11 pm 

yah, I understand. If you want to get a huge demand though you are going to have to release this puzzle to large stores like Toys R Us and other big companies.
The shape is very esthetically pleasing though and you have to scramble it which may appear easier than solving it at first glance, so I believe if people knew about it they would buy it over the normal rubik's cube any day.
Hope it works out for you though Kelvin! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:18 pm 

Kelvin, do you have any plans to try and get it into the big stores? It could be quite a gamble if you make multiple moulds and they don't sell well but it could pay off. Try and get it into the TP shop. Good Luck!

Alex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:42 pm 

elijah wrote:
yah, I understand. If you want to get a huge demand though you are going to have to release this puzzle to large stores like Toys R Us and other big companies.
The shape is very esthetically pleasing though and you have to scramble it which may appear easier than solving it at first glance, so I believe if people knew about it they would buy it over the normal rubik's cube any day.
Hope it works out for you though Kelvin! :mrgreen:

APJ wrote:
Kelvin, do you have any plans to try and get it into the big stores? It could be quite a gamble if you make multiple moulds and they don't sell well but it could pay off. Try and get it into the TP shop. Good Luck!

Many thanks to both for your nice comments.

Ultimately, I would of course like the big retailers to stock Qubami for the mass market, but they tend to be very selective for products with proven sales, and also quite aggressive with their terms (pricing, margins, delayed payment for inventory, etc.), so I would prefer to sell through more specialized channels to begin with. Also, I do agree that selling through the TP site would be a great way to give something back to the community...

Meanwhile, I've been working on some designs for a logo, as I'm not happy with the initial one I designed for the online game. In particular, I wanted a logo that closely resembles the key features of the Qubami puzzle itself, including the special bubbled stickers and their colours and symbols. I came up with the following, the first one for paper, the second for packaging. I hope people like them, but any comments would be welcome.

Attachment:
Qubami logo 1.jpg
Qubami logo 1.jpg [ 29.94 KiB | Viewed 6094 times ]

Attachment:
Qubami logo 2.jpg
Qubami logo 2.jpg [ 34.69 KiB | Viewed 6089 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:24 pm 

Stylistically, I like them both very much.

But looking at them carefully & critically I wonder if it would be clear to someone who didn't already know it's the word QUBAMI. Might they read it as OUBAMI or eUBAMI?

Unfortunately I can't think of any visual cues that would clarify the letter Q without spoiling the elegant simplicity.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:27 pm 

I think these both look GREAT, but I have to agree with VWP.
Maybe you could make a 'full' Q, and put the symbol in the center of it? Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:46 pm 

Those look fantastic!

I actually disagree with VWP and Calzone about the "Q" issue. It certainly looks different than an "O" and I don't see the "e" at all. There have been many successful products that have less than obvious logos(eg: Sunkist)...this could be another one of them.

I wouldn't change a thing. Great work!

- Billy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:56 pm 

I think the purple on white logo is very striking. I agree with the Q issue. Possibly needs to be extended out to make it clear to be a Q. Might be clear to us as we know what it is, but this is for the mums and dads market.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:05 pm 

lonogod wrote:
There have been many successful products that have less than obvious logos(eg: Sunkist)...this could be another one of them.

Don't forget Disney! :lol:

The logos look great Kelvin! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:58 pm 

VeryWetPaint wrote:
I wonder if it would be clear to someone who didn't already know it's the word QUBAMI. Might they read it as OUBAMI or eUBAMI? Unfortunately I can't think of any visual cues that would clarify the letter Q without spoiling the elegant simplicity.
Calzone wrote:
I think these both look GREAT, but I have to agree with VWP. Maybe you could make a 'full' Q, and put the symbol in the center of it? Just a thought.
sausage wrote:
I think the purple on white logo is very striking. I agree with the Q issue. Possibly needs to be extended out to make it clear to be a Q. Might be clear to us as we know what it is, but this is for the mums and dads market.

Hmmm... I do like the Q, but I see what you mean. Here are some alternatives to compare with the original below. Which one does everyone prefer?

Attachment:
Qubami logo 1.jpg
Qubami logo 1.jpg [ 29.94 KiB | Viewed 6088 times ]
Attachment:
Qubami logo 3.jpg
Qubami logo 3.jpg [ 30.32 KiB | Viewed 6088 times ]
Attachment:
Qubami logo 4.jpg
Qubami logo 4.jpg [ 33.82 KiB | Viewed 6089 times ]
Attachment:
Qubami logo 5.jpg
Qubami logo 5.jpg [ 30.88 KiB | Viewed 6089 times ]