Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hello, Dino Making & Skewbs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:08 pm 

Hello to you all. I have been lurking around a bit, recognized a name or two and thought I'd ask a few questions as well as chat a bit...

I've been playing with cubes and such since 1980 and have done a few 3x3x3 mods, collected a few of the rarer puzzles but now I have finally decided to get into molding some of the items that have eluded me for some time now.

The puzzle market in Athens, GA USA is all but nonexistant. I am currently molding a Domino with a spider mech and thought of how nice it would be to have a Dino. I can't help but see the similarities to the Skewb and wondered if anyone has used a Skewb in the production of a Dino? Care to share any advice?

I recently found a GE Silicone II (tube of silicone) that I am testing to see if it can be an inexpensive alternative for short run production. At $5 US I think about 10 or so molds might be possible.

Would anyone like to share some Dino making tips with me?

Thanks for your time and keep thinking!.....

_pink

Post subject: Re: Hello, Dino Making & Skewbs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:06 am 

Jin is right, a Dino cube can me made from a Rainbow cube and not from a skweb since this puzzle has only three axles.

But a DINO is no puzzle challenge, it is a true collectible as is a Rainbow cube. Both puzzles are suitable for learning 3D puzzling. you need about 13-20 turns and a beginner can solve a Dino or a Rainbow cube after some hours, it took me 2 minutes to solve after receiving the puzzle (including some study of the puzzle it self).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:31 am 

Yes, i would suggest using a rainbow cube buildup. A skewb isnt related to the Dino at all. All you have to do, like was already said, is build it up. Its quite simple... I wish i had more Rainbow cubes to offer you, i got rid of them all. i'd really like to see a dino buildup. Ive never built one, takes too much sanding. Which i hate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:08 pm 

The Rainbow Cube is a truncated Dino Cube. Buy a Rainbow Cube from any number of people and then just build up the corners so that the Rainbow is back to a cube and voila, you have a dino cube.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:06 am 

It's not inconceivable that you build a dino around the skewb spider, but building just about everything else from scratch. Unlike the usual dino, the 12 visible edge pieces would have to be unsymmetrical (this is OK, because dino pieces can never be flipped), each edge being retained on one side by the (hidden) skewb corners. The remaining hidden corners (the 4 not attached to the spider) would be prevented from dropping out by the surrounding edges, perhaps (for stability) by using L-shaped extensions and similar slots for them to engage with.

Is this roughly what you had in mind, _pink? (Once thought about doing a dino this way, but was too lazy and unskilled to try it out.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:31 am 

Thanks for the info guys. I'll see if I can't grab a rainbow for a good price somewhere...

_pink