Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1030 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next

What relgion do you practice?
Christianity 40%  40%  [ 31 ]
Judaism 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Islam 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Hinduism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Buddhism 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Atheist 40%  40%  [ 31 ]
Other(If so, please explain) 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 77
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: Wyoming
There are many geological proofs to backup a worldwide flood, and don't get me started on the fossil record, but everyone is right when they say that there isn't enough evidence to prove the existence of God. Faith is the biggest part of the Christian walk, and that is the reason so many people choose not to believe it, in my opinion.

_________________
"Without music, life would be a mistake"
- Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:24 pm
Location: MN
Ugh, i've heard way to much preaching, i'm not reading this thread anymore, it won't result in anything getting done.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:44 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO
GO JEWS

sorry, i just had the urge, lol

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/avenueq14


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:12 pm
S.Rubiks wrote:
... present some verses in the bible that you think are wrong, and we can discuss them.


o.k. then.
please start by looking here


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
Ethan Rosen wrote:
And the illiad is the best account of the Trojan war. Does that mean that everything in it is true?


YES!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Pantazis


PS By the way, I am Poseidon's son.

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:57 am
Location: Στο Κάστρο του Αγίου Γεωργίου
Hi Polyphemus!

your uncle Hades

_________________
...................Image..................
http://cube.helm.lu - http://gallery.helm.lu


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
destro wrote:
S.Rubiks wrote:
... present some verses in the bible that you think are wrong, and we can discuss them.


o.k. then.
please start by looking here


Yeah I'm very familar with that site. And it's misquotings and usages of the Bible. But what specifically did you have a problem with?

By the way, every single usage and comment on those verses is out of context. Just so you know. Think about it, it's a website called infidels.org. :roll:

_________________
Torturing the puzzling community for 2 years [and finally terminated by the same - moderator].~ Happy 2 year anniversary!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:12 pm
...it is a website that gives each quote a link to biblegateway.com. a bible resource website.
http://www.biblegateway.com/

there are no misquotings, unless done so by biblegateway.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
destro wrote:
...it is a website that gives each quote a link to biblegateway.com. a bible resource website.
http://www.biblegateway.com/

there are no misquotings, unless done so by biblegateway.com


No, actually it's a website that comments on each verse from Bible gateway.com. Their comments are inaccurate. Or moreso, just their personal views upon how they read or think what the verse says or means.

Do you think that what is written on infidels.org is the actual verse???? I hope not. The link is to the actual verse, but their write up is their view.

_________________
Torturing the puzzling community for 2 years [and finally terminated by the same - moderator].~ Happy 2 year anniversary!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:12 pm
i am paying no attention to what they write, only looking at and comparing the bible quotes as used on biblegateway.
forget the comments, just check the passages, and that is all you need.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:12 pm
S.Rubiks wrote:
The link is to the actual verse...


and that is what i am focusing on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
ok. so what do you see that you believe to be wrong?

_________________
Torturing the puzzling community for 2 years [and finally terminated by the same - moderator].~ Happy 2 year anniversary!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:12 pm
are you wanting me to start listing off verses and passages? i will, if that is what you want (that would be a long post).
maybe you could pick, lets say...five "problems" or "inconsistensies" , and explain them away.

or, i can go ahead and just state what im getting at.
the bible IS full of many innacuracies and inconsistencies. therefore, it bothers me when i hear people say things such as "the bible is historically accurate", or that "the Bible states that it is accurate, God-inspired, and also states that it's a sin to lie. So if the bible says that it's accurate, and that it's a sin to lie. Then the Bible would have been wrong and Christianity would be dead if this would have been shown to be true."

actually, i think that it is this specific comment, made by you, that bothers me the most:
Quote:
They, along with anyone else that has tried, cannot disprove one word of the Bible. So the Bible still stands today and is a factual document in every aspect.


again, if you really want me to post a few side by side comparisons showing some of the many inconsistencies, i will gladly do so.

p.s.
This post is accurate and god inspired.

p.p.s.
it is a sin to lie


Last edited by destro on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:05 am
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
In the Gospel of Matthew, it discusses the King Herod, who feared the birth of Jesus, who would grow up to be the "King of the Jews", fearing this, he ordered all children under the age of two in Jerusalem to be murdered. Jesus, Mary and Joseph had already fled to Egypt.

King Herod died in 6 BCE.

In the Gospel of Luke, it is dated that Jesus was born during the census ordered by Publius Sulpicius Quirinius, the newly elected governor of Syria. This happened in 6 CE.

So Jesus was born twice, 12 years apart according to the Bible. Very accurate indeed.

There's no denying this inaccuracy.

_________________
Fridrich
3x3 PB 22.63
3x3 Av 30.57

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:12 pm
Noah wrote:
So Jesus was born twice...

jesus was "born again"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:19 pm
...

_________________
http://www.rockstargames.com/V/


Last edited by reeeech on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:05 am
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
But that happened in his thirties if I understand correctly.

I'm talking about a knocked up Mary being in labor for 12 years.

_________________
Fridrich
3x3 PB 22.63
3x3 Av 30.57

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:19 pm
...

_________________
http://www.rockstargames.com/V/


Last edited by reeeech on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:12 pm
reeeech wrote:
destro wrote:
Noah wrote:
So Jesus was born twice...

jesus was "born again"



But that was after he died, right? Why people celebrate Easter.


i know, i was joking


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
Georges wrote:
Hi Polyphemus!
your uncle Hades


Hey uncle! :)

In the past I was always wondering why my vision wasn't... three dimensional!
(after trying to look at some stereograms, and then a disney picture adventure
inside a viewmaster, I realised what was wrong!)

But I won't visit you again soon, because last time, that three headed puppy of yours
left some stereo-bite(!) marks on my thigh.

:mrgreen:


Pantazis

PS Please pass to "Nobody" my best regards. Tell him that I feel sorry I ate some of his men,
and I forgive him for poking my eye.
PS2 The pop-corn is finished. I am having some... muesli bars now!

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:19 pm
...

_________________
http://www.rockstargames.com/V/


Last edited by reeeech on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:05 am
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
The Lingam and Yoni have been around for ages. I have a World Religions class and we covered this in detail.

Some of the rituals done by Hindus are very... interesting. For example, in some cases, they make a mixture of yogurt, honey and marijuana, and pour it over the top of the Lingam and it drips into the Yoni. From there, they scoop some up and eat it.

It has even been suggested that Stone Henge was made to represent Yoni.

_________________
Fridrich
3x3 PB 22.63
3x3 Av 30.57

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
I will tell you this.

1. You are clearly wrong in your interpretation or views of God and the Bible, which aren't truly your views anyways, but something you read from an internet site.
2. You would never accept any answer that was given due to your presuppositions you have already built up your entire life.
3. If you feel you are right and the Bible is wrong, please see #1.

Now, this forum has clearly shown me that it's full of blinded idiots.

You cannot expect to explain a rubiks cube to someone who not only doesn't know how it works, but doesn't even give a crap.

I do not expect to try to explain God and the truth of the Bible to you, when you really are in here for self entertainment value. My time is valuable. I will no longer entertain your nonsense. Go educate yourself, then you can expect to have a conversation with me.

In fact, go talk to someone you know that's a Christian, maybe your mommy's pastor or the like. Ask them these questions, write them down or print them off or whatever.

I will tell you that I have debated the infidels.org rhetoric several times and it's junk. It's wrong. This has also been demonstrated when Jesus was in the Garden and when satan came to Him and twisted up the verse in the word in order to make it say something that it doesn't really mean. Jesus told satan, get thee behind me.

You are merely mimmicking what satan had done to Christ in the garden. Only satan is much better at it than you.

_________________
Torturing the puzzling community for 2 years [and finally terminated by the same - moderator].~ Happy 2 year anniversary!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:53 pm
Location: Los Angeles
S.Rubiks wrote:
but something you read from an internet site.


And the views you express aren't yours either. They come from something you read from a book.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:44 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO
well, in 33 CE, it was between jesus and brian, jesus got lucky

lol jk

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/avenueq14


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:21 pm
I am a Christian. I am not sure where I heard this, but please, nobody say how I can't know this for sure and that it's made up. I know this is far from exact. I assume that most of you atheists believe in evolution and that the earth was created by a supernova or something like that and it somehow created a planet that was perfect for holding life. The chances of this happening is the same as the chance of a tornado going through a junkyard and leaving behind a fully functional Boeing 747 with a full tank of gas. Or about one trillionth of one trillionth.

_________________
"suppose your an idiot, and suppose your a politician, but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain
If you go see Ironman, stay after the credits and see the hidden scene!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:51 pm 
Tanimal wrote:
I am a Christian. I am not sure where I heard this, but please, nobody say how I can't know this for sure and that it's made up. I know this is far from exact. I assume that most of you atheists believe in evolution and that the earth was created by a supernova or something like that and it somehow created a planet that was perfect for holding life. The chances of this happening is the same as the chance of a tornado going through a junkyard and leaving behind a fully functional Boeing 747 with a full tank of gas. Or about one trillionth of one trillionth.


No, it's about the same as 300,000 tornados going through a junkyard, but each time a peice ends up in the correct spot every tornado afterwards is unable to move it. That is what evolution is. I find that the people that don't agree with evolution generally don't even have an elementary understanding of it


Last edited by ---a- -o--- on Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Rochester, MN
Ethan Rosen wrote:
Tanimal wrote:
I am a Christian. I am not sure where I heard this, but please, nobody say how I can't know this for sure and that it's made up. I know this is far from exact. I assume that most of you atheists believe in evolution and that the earth was created by a supernova or something like that and it somehow created a planet that was perfect for holding life. The chances of this happening is the same as the chance of a tornado going through a junkyard and leaving behind a fully functional Boeing 747 with a full tank of gas. Or about one trillionth of one trillionth.


No, it's about the same as 300,000 tornados going through a junkyard, but each time a peice ends up in the correct spot every tornado afterwards is unable to fix it. That is what evolution is. I find that the people that don't agree with evolution generally don't even have an elementary understanding of it


I think Tanimal is referring to the initial creation of life. There needs to be so much stuff that aligns for just a simple one-celled organism.

_________________
CubingUSA.com - Find other cubers, be notified of upcoming competitions, and more.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:24 pm
Location: MN
Ok I lied about not reading, S. Rubik's has just unleashed the wrath of pure logic. I will post an argument, one of the most prominant inaccuracies in the bible is that Mary and Joseph were in Nazarath because of a Roman Census, however, that census occured about 12 years before Jesus was born, so what were they doing there. Because something as simple as a date can be mixed up in translation, who knows what else was lost in translation. The bible has been written and rewritten and translated and retranslated. It was around 1000+ years before being translated into the King James bible. All of these rewrittings have not only caused things to be lost in translation, they have also been rewritten by not so holy men. These men could have easily altered something to their liking, and nobody would've noticed. Also, not all of the scriptures and included in the bible. We have recently found many scriptures contridicing the bible, that the Church had known about and chosen not to include because they were contridictory. One of these has the strong possibility that it was written by Jesus himself, yet the Church rejected it because it contridicted the beliefs they had already been enoforcing for a very long time.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:53 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Tanimal:
If the chances are, in fact, 10e-24 and there are 10e23 stars (estimates range from 10e22 to 10e24), then our existence seems a bit more likely.

However, because we don't actually know how many planets there are out there, nor do we know an approximation of the number in the habitable zone, the "one in a trillion trillion" estimate has very little basis. However, by the same argument, my argument against it has just as much basis. So, we're doing nothing but speculating and any results from our exchange would be useless.

Translation: That statement has little basis in fact, so there's no real arguing for or against it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:44 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO
TBTTyler wrote:
That statement has little basis in fact, so there's no real arguing for or against it.


is the statement religion by any chance?

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/avenueq14


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:53 pm
Location: Los Angeles
TheCube wrote:
is the statement religion by any chance?


Not in this case, though I'm sure a similar argument could be constructed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:21 pm
I just can't understand evolution. I don't get how you could believe that life is completely meaningless and that there is no soul that humans have and animals don't. Then how are humans so much different from animals? If you don't see a difference between us, then I will tell you that it is morals. Humans have morals that animals do not.

_________________
"suppose your an idiot, and suppose your a politician, but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain
If you go see Ironman, stay after the credits and see the hidden scene!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:19 pm 
I see a huge difference between humans and animals. The biggest one is brain development. Human brain development has allowed us to feel in a way that is fairly unique to us. Of course, animals don't generally don't kill beings in the same species, so perhaps it is humans lacking the morals? Perhaps the intelligence that we have forced us to always think of how to get ahead. Darwinism/evolution is something all species exhibit, bur it is social Darwinism that is unique to humans, and we have always had the need to get ahead, we just didn't call it anything until Darwin came around. I see life as having a purpose. The purpose is to spend your time happy and keep the Earth populated. Keeping the earth populated makes us happy thanks to evolution. If we didn't enjoy reproducing, we would die out, so the two really fit together. We don't need a soul, we have a brain.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:05 am
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Shawn, that was not very nice...

I took a religion class. Well, I'm in the course of taking it. I even got 97% on the Christianity exam. That was one of the things we discussed. I got taught by a certified professor that this was a continuity problem that the church fixed in 300 CE.


You said you could defend any fallacy, and I provided one, now you're saying you're too smart for us.

_________________
Fridrich
3x3 PB 22.63
3x3 Av 30.57

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: Wyoming
Bryan wrote:
There needs to be so much stuff that aligns for just a simple one-celled organism.


You are absolutely right, except that there is no such thing as a "simple organism". I could see how people would say that if say an amoeba were compared to a giraffe, but still. I actually studied evolution for two straight weeks, from Darwin's Christian roots and research all the way through theories, and then I studied it's few strong and many weak points.

_________________
"Without music, life would be a mistake"
- Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:06 am
Noah wrote:
Shawn, that was not very nice...
...
You said you could defend any fallacy, and I provided one, now you're saying you're too smart for us.


@ S.Rubiks
Noah put it in a nutshell: you kindly forget to take a stand on anything that doesn't suit your views (beliefs).
Instead you act like a Jesuit and begin sophisticating. Finally you came out in your true colors calling people idiots.
Perhaps this was Satan and not Jesus who became rampant for a short time within you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: Wyoming
506173 wrote:
. Finally you came out in your true colors calling people idiots.
Perhaps this was Satan and not Jesus who became rampant for a short time within you.


Yeah, that's what I said up above, Shawn can't profess the Christian Faith the way he did and turn his back on it when people attack him. Shawn, don't you remember in the Bible; we are supposed to be happy for being persecuted, and besides, no one has ever taken up a religion because they hated another member of the faith; getting angry doesn't help anyone.

_________________
"Without music, life would be a mistake"
- Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Rochester, MN
Noah wrote:
I took a religion class. Well, I'm in the course of taking it. I even got 97% on the Christianity exam. That was one of the things we discussed. I got taught by a certified professor that this was a continuity problem that the church fixed in 300 CE.


I would take anything you've learned about Christianity in a college course with a grain of salt. The professors may not be Christian, or they may have their own intrepretation, and the information provided in the class may not be backed by any church.

_________________
CubingUSA.com - Find other cubers, be notified of upcoming competitions, and more.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:05 am
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Bryan wrote:
Noah wrote:
I took a religion class. Well, I'm in the course of taking it. I even got 97% on the Christianity exam. That was one of the things we discussed. I got taught by a certified professor that this was a continuity problem that the church fixed in 300 CE.


I would take anything you've learned about Christianity in a college course with a grain of salt. The professors may not be Christian, or they may have their own intrepretation, and the information provided in the class may not be backed by any church.

He's teaching the curriculum provided. He finds religion fascinating. I sat down with him after one of my classes during the Judaism portion and had talk about it for an hour or so. He really knows his stuff and is really passionate about it. I asked him what religion he follows, and he said that his favorite is Buddhism. You can take this how you want. He didn't say "I follow Buddhism" or anything, but that his favorite was Buddhism. Also, we started Islam just last week, and before he started he announced that he would be warning us before using images in his presentation (as well as using fewer images) so as to not offend any Muslims in class. He is very sensitive to others beliefs.

I see where you are coming from, however he's a man who enjoys religion how most of us enjoy puzzles. He sees each one as a Diving Dodecahedron, or a Void Cube, each different but fascinating. He doesn't have any sort of bias as one would assume (He doesn't see any as a Rubik's Revolution).

Also, it is a history class, so he covers the histories of religion, hence he mentioned how Christianity adopted the Gregorian Calendar and chose the cardinal date of history.

_________________
Fridrich
3x3 PB 22.63
3x3 Av 30.57

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
I don't see the point of arguing with you any more S.rubiks over your religious views but have you ever considered this?- Let's assume for one minute that you are 100% correct. Haven't you done far more harm than good on this forum and particularly this thread in promoting God? Wouldn't it have been better to have held back a bit and humoured people? If we (the non Christians) are all as stupid as you make out then instead of reaffirming our negative beliefs of Christians why not give your side in an intelligent and rational way? A way that mere heathens might understand and even accept. It's pointless quoting the bible to an Atheist! And nobody likes to be told "You are wrong I am right". Once you say that the discussion changes into one about your presentation and less about the issues. I know that you feel it is a weakness of your faith to even step it down one notch but I honestly don't think your God would approve of the way you have presented him and yourself on this forum. Your preaching maybe suitable in a church of believers but on a forum like this you will achieve nothing by it. There are over 37 Atheists on this forum and you have done nothing to convince us we are wrong.
One other thing. I am often told that it is people and not religion that causes wars. I totally agree with that and you are precisely the sort of person who would start a war in the name of religion.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:28 pm
Location: Illinois, USA
Tony Fisher wrote:
I don't see the point of arguing with you any more S.rubiks over your religious views but have you ever considered this?- Let's assume for one minute that you are 100% correct. Haven't you done far more harm than good on this forum and particularly this thread in promoting God? Wouldn't it have been better to have held back a bit and humoured people? If we (the non Christians) are all as stupid as you make out then instead of reaffirming our negative beliefs of Christians why not give your side in an intelligent and rational way? A way that mere heathens might understand and even accept. It's pointless quoting the bible to an Atheist! And nobody likes to be told "You are wrong I am right". Once you say that the discussion changes into one about your presentation and less about the issues. I know that you feel it is a weakness of your faith to even step it down one notch but I honestly don't think your God would approve of the way you have presented him and yourself on this forum. Your preaching maybe suitable in a church of believers but on a forum like this you will achieve nothing by it. There are over 37 Atheists on this forum and you have done nothing to convince us we are wrong.
One other thing. I am often told that it is people and not religion that causes wars. I totally agree with that and you are precisely the sort of person who would start a war in the name of religion.


Very well said, Tony.

_________________
"Existence is Identity, Consciousness is Identification."
John Galt

My first 20x20x20 solve: 6:22:20


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:24 pm
Location: MN
Tony just hit the nail on the head. If some people trying to covert you would stop saying, "i'm right and your an idiot." mabye more people would listen. As soon as you begin quoting scripture or saying somebody is wrong, you push instead of pull.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:30 pm
I haven't read all of this forum ( i don't have all day lol) but what i have read is very interesting. I'm an agnostic/atheist. Nobody has been able to prove to me that god exists or doesn't exist. My mother is a pastor so of course i was raised christian. She is not a christian similar to S.rubiks or whatever his name is. She actually is understanding, she's not judgmental and doesn't persecute people which is what the bible says.

People like S.rubik always talk about how jesus said homosexuality is wrong. I think this is very funny because "homosexuality" wasn't an identity until way way after jesus died. It's a pretty recent thing to BE a homosexual. It used to be something you did, not something you were. I also think it's dumb how they treat that worse than every other sin (even though it's not a sin). If someone takes the lord's name in vein then that's bad, but if they're gay, THEN OH MY GOSH THEY'RE GOING TO BURN IN HELL. It doesn't make any sense to me.

On the whole evolution theory. There is so much evidence pro evolution it's staggering. People evolve by themselves so much in their own life. The difference in human and monkey dna is 1%.....that's pretty similar if you ask me.

Just think about this, if the O-zone layer got totally destroyed. The races that soaked up the most sun would die out more. lighter skinned people would get more cancer and die out while darker skinned people would die less. After a couple hundred years the earth would contain mostly darker skinned people. After 1000 years. I'm fairly certain that all the lighter skinned people would be dead and humans would have evolved into darker skinned beings.

Christians overall don't make much sense to me. Most of them (not all!) have no problem defying all the other thousands of god's around the world. They have no problem saying that their's is the RIGHT one. They have no problem talking about how bad other religious radicalisms are and how bad they are, but can't see that their religion is at fault for accounts of genocide, such as the crusades. They don't realize how they say "god loves everyone" but right after that, they condemn everyone who isn't a christian to hell.

I know not all christians are like that so i really didn't mean it to everyone who is a christian. I have done a lot of research and talked to a lot of people and overall i don't like christians and what they stand for and do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:45 pm
What if I lived in a jungle on a small island and I had never heard of God. Would I go to hell?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:19 pm
...

_________________
http://www.rockstargames.com/V/


Last edited by reeeech on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
Tanimal wrote:
I am a Christian. I am not sure where I heard this, but please, nobody say how I can't know this for sure and that it's made up. I know this is far from exact. I assume that most of you atheists believe in evolution and that the earth was created by a supernova or something like that and it somehow created a planet that was perfect for holding life. The chances of this happening is the same as the chance of a tornado going through a junkyard and leaving behind a fully functional Boeing 747 with a full tank of gas. Or about one trillionth of one trillionth.


It has nothing to do with religion but I think you are looking at the statistics back to front. For example, what is the probability that you are exactly where you are, doing exactly what you are doing, having done everything you've ever done in your life? Or what is the probability of every grain of sand in the Sahara desert being in it's exact current position? Backward analyzing like that is false statistics.
Recently I have started to believe the answer of how everything began would actually surprise us. What I mean is we tend to think it's one out of a few theories. I think the true answer is something we haven't even thought of yet. Even as an Atheist I struggle with the concept that out of nothing the big bang suddenly occured and created the universe. Man might not even be intelligent enough to understand the beginning and true nature of the universe. I still personally don't think a God was involved however.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:48 am
Image

_________________
#


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:28 pm
Location: Illinois, USA
mohT wrote:
Image

You, sir, win the internets.

_________________
"Existence is Identity, Consciousness is Identification."
John Galt

My first 20x20x20 solve: 6:22:20


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Cubers (Or any other puzzlers)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Bounb wrote:
What if I lived in a jungle on a small island and I had never heard of God. Would I go to hell?


No, because if you unknowingly sin, it's not held against you.

Thom, that is hilarious :)

_________________
Do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1030 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group