Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:45 am 

This is part of an email I just received from Uwe. I do not have any other information regarding these puzzles.

Hi Tony

These Gift Vouchers are a kind of Pre-Ordering system as I am heavily subsidizing these puzzles I will just make 2,000 pcs each (Like I did with the Dogic) and when they are gone they are gone forever, however if I receive more pre-orders then 2,000 then I will increase the production quantity, you can spread this news for me as there seems to be some confusion out there regarding these Gift Vouchers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:30 pm 

We can gather from that email that only 2000 Dogics were produced by Mr. Meffert.

That gives us a hard estimate of how many of these exist in the world. At least for the reissued ones. Very interesting. As for not producing any more, I'm sure his opinion would change if he sold out immediately and got thousands of inquiries more about making them again. But unless that happens, it seems like we'll see a shortage of these at some point.

I already preordered several Pyraminx Crystals. Sure they're a bit pricey, but I'll know that no matter what happens in the future, I've got that Pyraminx Crystal thing covered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:35 pm 

Jin, just out of curiosity, was that an obscure reference to Fight Club?

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:44 pm 

Yes. Yes it was.

Nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:45 pm 

Just don't smash a Pyraminx Crystal when you feel like destroying something beautiful.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:53 am 

I just found out about these today while I was at work. :shock: As soon as I came home, I went online and ordered 5. However, I made the mistake of paying for EMS shipping thinking that I'd get them within the week. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:03 am 

Tim Browne wrote:
I just found out about these today while I was at work. :shock: As soon as I came home, I went online and ordered 5. However, I made the mistake of paying for EMS shipping thinking that I'd get them within the week. :(
I'm sure you could try emailing Meffert and see if they have shipped your order yet, and if possible, change it.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:41 am 

This seems like I great deal -- I'm definitely buying one, or six.

I haven't really been keeping up with this forum lately so can someone please explain where this puzzle is coming from? If I remember correctly someone from this forum created the design for the puzzle. If so is this person working with Mefferts to make them or is this an independent endeavor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:52 am 

History of the Pyraminx Crystal
By Noah Hevey
December 11th, 2007 6:52am GMT -05:00

Quote:
1982: Meffert's releases a catalog with the Pyraminx Crystal in it. The one featured in the catalog was only a cardboard mock-up, but this marks the begining of the idea of the Pyraminx Crystal. So the concept was for sure made during or before the year 1982.
viewtopic.php?t=4887

1982: Kersten Meier from Düsseldorf, Germany wrote a solution : The Magic Crystal, 1982.
http://www.helm.lu/gallery2/main.php?g2 ... alNumber=1

July 16th, 1987: Patents are issued.
http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPOD ... 07783U&F=0

November, 2005: Famous puzzle builder Katsuhiro Okamoto created a puzzle he calls "Mega Crystal" to either avoid copy write infringement or to differentiate himself from Mr Meffert's creation. Not much is known about Mr Okamoto's version of the puzzle besides some basic information. It measures 35mm along an edge, and it weighs 290 grams.
http://puzzle3d.hp.infoseek.co.jp/megacrystal.html

January 8th, 2006: Aleh (at the time using the username "Oleg") releases his version based off of a Dogic core. The length of one side of his puzzle is 45mm. Aleh released this puzzle as the "Mega Crystal". He also placed a Brilic puzzle on eBay for a 7 day auction. I believe it was the second one he made. The final price isn't shown, nor is the winner. It can be deduced that the winner was Mike "Skeneegee" Grimsley. If this is true, we can deduce that he won Brilic #2.
viewtopic.php?t=4221
viewtopic.php?t=4223

January 10th, 2006: Katsuhiro Okamoto informs him that his chose that proper noun for his creation and politely asked Aleh to change the name of his. Aleh kindly changed the name to Aleh's Brilic.
viewtopic.php?p=27217&highlight=#27217

July 24th, 2006: I (Noah) made a thread where I believed had figured out the core to the Pyraminx Crystal. I was wrong and right. Mostly wrong. I don't even know what I was thinking. Never the less, there was a large discussion on how the Pyraminx Crystal/Brilic worked, as that information was not public yet.
viewtopic.php?t=5058

November 7th, 2006: Aleh recreates the Brilic with a Meffert's Megaminx as a core. Pictures are included which explains exactly how it is made.
viewtopic.php?p=41384&highlight=#41384

November 22nd, 2006: Aleh places another Brilic (Megaminx) on eBay for a 7 day auction. The winner is Vadim at $1025. It is revealed he won Brilic #4. In this thread we find out that Georges has #3, most likely through private exchange.
viewtopic.php?t=5803

2007: Aleh re-issued Kersten Meier's solution "The Magic Crystal" pamphlet with his Brilics.
http://www.helm.lu/gallery2/main.php?g2 ... alNumber=1

January 21st, 2007: Another 7 day Brilic auction from Aleh begins. The final price is also $1025, going to new comer Kevin a.k.a. misterpoopoohead, who won Brilic #7.
viewtopic.php?t=6134

March 17th, 2007: Once again, a 7 day auction help by Aleh takes place. Rich a.k.a. reeeech wins. The final price isn't said, but it can be assumed that it was around $925. It is revealed that Adam G Cowan a.k.a. Puzzlemaster42 has Brilic #9, and Rich just won #10.
viewtopic.php?t=6465

September 16th, 2007: Mefferts announces plans to construct a Pyraminx Crystal along with several other new puzzles. It was planned to be released near or shortly after the holiday season. He asks people to respond to show interest.
viewtopic.php?t=7736

October 1st-2nd, 2007: Various people discuss what they are bringing to Dutch Cube Day 2007. This develops into making a list of Brillic owners. It is revealed here that Aleh only made 14 Brilics total.
viewtopic.php?t=6457

October 13th, 2007: The day before DCD2007, Aleh confirms the list except for one solt, which he can't remember. The list will be included at the end of the timeline.
viewtopic.php?p=78255&highlight=#78255

December 2nd, 2007: Meffert asks how many people would be interested in Pyraminx Crystals if the price were set at $38.
viewtopic.php?t=8341

December 9th, 2007: Meffert's releases "Holiday Vouchers", which will guarantee you the puzzle once it becomes available as there will be a limited amount released. Supposedly there are going to be 2000 puzzles made for this production run. Currently there is no information telling us whether the Pyraminx Crystal will be out before Christmas or not.
viewtopic.php?t=8390

Quote:
Note: The Brilics are 12 colors unless stated otherwise.
Note: The Brilics have a Megaminx core unless stated otherwise.
Note: Comments are only made on puzzles that are positively known to be different.

LIST OF BRILICS
#01 Aleh (6 color)(Dogic)
#02 Mike "Skeneegee" Grimsley
#03 Georges Helm
#04 Vadim
#05 Darren Grewe
#06 Tony Fisher
#07 Keven "misterpoopoohead"
#08 _____________
#09 Adam G Cowan a.k.a. Puzzlemaster42
#10 Rich "reeeech"
#11 Oscar
#12 David "Dlitwin" Litwin
#13 Frank Tiex
#14 Geert Hellings (6 color)

25, Male

Last edited by Noah on Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:56 am 

Nice piece of history Noah! Very entertaining!
#09 Adam "Puzzlemaster42" Cowain is correctly Adam G. Cowan
In 1982 Kersten Meier from Düsseldorf, Germany wrote a solution : The Magic Crystal, 1982, re-issued by Aleh in 2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:19 am 

Is the megaminx in the background of the second picture significant?

Subliminal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:38 am 

Thank you Georges.

I also edited in you additions. Thank you for helping make it more complete.

I really ought to get a website to post all of these sort of things, along with my Applet solutions and Newsletters.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:21 am 

Superman wrote:
Is the megaminx in the background of the second picture significant?

Subliminal?

hehe :lol: It's only shining through from the second page.

Attachments:
File comment: page 2
meier02.jpg
meier02.jpg [ 76.08 KiB | Viewed 4144 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:57 pm 

Love the history lesson on the Brilic, Noah. Great job. It's also why I tried to keep detailed lists of who bought my puzzles as well, although not always successful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:25 pm 

Great writeup, Noah! Thanks! I would also include reference to existing puzzle patents. One note on Oleg/Aleh. Oleg is the actual name in Russia. However the same name in Belarus (separate country now, part of former USSR) is written and pronounced differently in belarussian language. Than pronunciation is transcribed to English as Aleh. Hope this clears the name change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:18 pm 

Noah, is there no end to your knowledge?? :shock:

Good job on that, I never knew this one puzzle had such an in depth history.

By the way, how does the Brillic differ from the pyra-crystal? I'm guessing it has different movement?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:39 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
Noah, is there no end to your knowledge?? :shock:

Good job on that, I never knew this one puzzle had such an in depth history.

By the way, how does the Brillic differ from the pyra-crystal? I'm guessing it has different movement?
The Brilic was made by Aleh. They are the same puzzle. Most likely the same insides as well.

As for the extent of my knowledge... I'd have to say Statistics.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:43 pm 

Functionally there is no difference between any of the Pyraminx Crystals, whether by Meffert, Okamoto, or Aleh. Aleh's Brilic uses an existing mechanism (megaminx) and modifies it in order to make the puzzle. As a result the puzzle is inevitably larger than a Megaminx. Wasn't the first production of it based on the Dogic? I seem to remember that...

Okamoto has access to a machine shop (father owns it, not sure if he has any stake in it) and is able to translate his ideas into puzzles with almost unmatched precision. Consequently his version of it made it equal in size to a standard Ultimate Skewb (NOT a Megaminx. Thank you, Aleh.). However I believe his puzzles are still "hand made" using the machine tools and jigs, so still require a ton of manual labor and result in very expensive puzzles.

In the case of Uwe Meffert, obviously he has access to molding and casting machines, which do require the greatest initial investment in cost, but is capable of producing larger quantities rapidly and overall more cost effectively than Aleh or Okamoto.

Size-wise, I'd imagine that Mr Meffert will make his Pyraminx Crystal the same size as the megaminx, but that's purely speculation. To reduce tooling costs I'd think he'll make the puzzle on a scale that will allow him to benefit the most from any existing puzzle parts, namely the Megaminx. By making the puzzle a bit larger he can re-use much of the Megaminx spindle. However greater size also means more plastic and larger molds, so obviously he'll come up with the best possible compromise.

Moot point. I can hardly wait to see what the future will hold.

Last edited by Jin H Kim on Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:49 pm 

I just assumed he would use standard Megaminx cores as the cores for the Pyraminx Crystal.

Then he could produce rounded Megaminx edges, built up corners and floating edges.

Sure, since it's bigger it will use more plastic, but if he only has to produce one type of mechanism instead of two, it would either even out, or be very worth while.

(Just speculation. I don't know anything of the methods or actual costs.)

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:43 pm 

This brings up the other interesting question, how well are they pyra-crystals going to turn? If I recall, Meffert's minxes don't turn too fantastically when you first get them, and require new springs and such. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not even going to attempt to take my Crystal apart until somebody else goes and tinkers with it, and I can gain a bit of knowledge on how to make it turn better without sanding/anything else destructive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:52 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
This brings up the other interesting question, how well are they pyra-crystals going to turn? If I recall, Meffert's minxes don't turn too fantastically when you first get them, and require new springs and such. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not even going to attempt to take my Crystal apart until somebody else goes and tinkers with it, and I can gain a bit of knowledge on how to make it turn better without sanding/anything else destructive.
I'm guessing you could just stick a screw driver down to the center and unscrew it.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:04 pm 

Noah wrote:
Speedy McFastfast wrote:
I'm guessing you could just stick a screw driver down to the center and unscrew it.

Yes, but after that, how hard would it be to get back together? It seems that these puzzles have some very weird pieces to them, or else they probably would have been mass produced before...

On another note, do you guys think there will be any knockoff brands of pyra-crystals coming out? Like cube4you does with the megaminx now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:51 pm 

After fully taking apart the puzzle, I would rebuild it like a Megaminx, leaving the Pyraminx Corners out. Need the end I will be forced to carefully place all of the top layer pieces up top and carefully tighten the top center (Think ES4).

From there you can just pop in the PC edges.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:21 am 

Jin H Kim wrote:

Okamoto has access to a machine shop (father owns it, not sure if he has any stake in it) and is able to translate his ideas into puzzles with almost unmatched precision. Consequently his version of it made it equal in size to a standard Megaminx.

His Mega Crystal has same size with Ultimate Skewb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:54 am 

Seeing as Aleh posted and didn't have any corrections for me, I guess I did a pretty complete job.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:19 pm 

Noah, like I said, you missed the patent in you chronology. DE8707783U was issued 07/16/1987.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:22 pm 

Noah wrote:
After fully taking apart the puzzle, I would rebuild it like a Megaminx, leaving the Pyraminx Corners out. Need the end I will be forced to carefully place all of the top layer pieces up top and carefully tighten the top center (Think ES4).

From there you can just pop in the PC edges.

It definitely is different than the megaminx when taking apart.

I think Aleh has a youtube video showing it. It's pretty much the edge pieces that come out and the corners are stuck on to the mechanism. So if you get a pop (which rarely happens) it's very easy to put back into place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:36 pm 

Aleh wrote:
Jin H Kim wrote:

Okamoto has access to a machine shop (father owns it, not sure if he has any stake in it) and is able to translate his ideas into puzzles with almost unmatched precision. Consequently his version of it made it equal in size to a standard Megaminx.

His Mega Crystal has same size with Ultimate Skewb.

Ahh yes, you are right. I knew that it was the same size as something else. I can't believe I let it slip my mind that it was the ultimate skewb that it was equal to.

Given this little correction to my mentally crossed wires here, it does seem more likely that the Pyraminx Crystal may very possibly reuse the Megaminx core.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:22 pm 

reeeech wrote:
It definitely is different than the megaminx when taking apart.

I think Aleh has a youtube video showing it. It's pretty much the edge pieces that come out and the corners are stuck on to the mechanism. So if you get a pop (which rarely happens) it's very easy to put back into place.

So are you saying what I had said would work or not?

I have seen the video as well as the internal pictures posted in Aleh's first thread about the Brilic.

First off, we assume we're starting from a completely disassembled state. 1 Megaminx core with 1 center removed, 20 universal corners, 30 truncated/rounded Megaminx (internal/hidden), and 30 Pyraminx Crystal edges (floating).

You would build up from the center opposite of the removed center. The corners, which have been built up on would pose some issues, making it harder to place the smaller Megaminx edges.

Now you have a center, 5 universal corners, 5 truncated/rounded Megaminx edge and 30 Pyraminx Crystal edges left.

Now you would put on the center, but when screwing it in, only tighten the screw ever so slightly, so you can easily place the Megaminx final layer.

How I would do it is start with a Megaminx edge, and continue around (corner, edge, corner, etc).

Eventually there would be all 5 Megaminx edges in along with 4 of the universal corners. The last corner should be able to be pushed in (carefully) because of the barely attached center.

From here you would tighten the loose center to normal tightness.

The springs in the centers should allow the final 30 PC edges to be popped in easily.

If the PC edges are unable to be forced in, you could place them in as you build the puzzle up. That, or you could loosen a center until it is possible to pop them in, and you could carefully turn the puzzle to bring new PC edge positions to the layer that would allow the rest of the pieces popped in. After that the center could be retightened.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:36 pm 

Noah wrote:
So are you saying what I had said would work or not?

I have seen the video as well as the internal pictures posted in Aleh's first thread about the Brilic.

First off, we assume we're starting from a completely disassembled state. 1 Megaminx core with 1 center removed, 20 universal corners, 30 truncated/rounded Megaminx (internal/hidden), and 30 Pyraminx Crystal edges (floating).

You would build up from the center opposite of the removed center. The corners, which have been built up on would pose some issues, making it harder to place the smaller Megaminx edges.

Now you have a center, 5 universal corners, 5 truncated/rounded Megaminx edge and 30 Pyraminx Crystal edges left.

Now you would put on the center, but when screwing it in, only tighten the screw ever so slightly, so you can easily place the Megaminx final layer.

How I would do it is start with a Megaminx edge, and continue around (corner, edge, corner, etc).

Eventually there would be all 5 Megaminx edges in along with 4 of the universal corners. The last corner should be able to be pushed in (carefully) because of the barely attached center.

From here you would tighten the loose center to normal tightness.

The springs in the centers should allow the final 30 PC edges to be popped in easily.

If the PC edges are unable to be forced in, you could place them in as you build the puzzle up. That, or you could loosen a center until it is possible to pop them in, and you could carefully turn the puzzle to bring new PC edge positions to the layer that would allow the rest of the pieces popped in. After that the center could be retightened.

I think you are making it seem more complicated than it is. The edge pieces push in fairly easily, like 3x3x3 edges. The corners and internal edges pop out similarly easily, so there is no need to remove any center caps, or loosen anything.

Remember, it has springs and isn't overtightened, so there is flexibility not unlike your standard speed tuned puzzle (3x3x3, 4x4x4, skewb, etc.).

I can see building it up as a Megaminx and adding in the exterior edges last, or building up adding the exterior edges as you go. I don't think there is a wrong answer :)

Dave

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:36 pm 

Noah,

Building it up... you may be right. I don't know. I know about taking it apart though... well just the edges. You can take all the edges out and have the corner pieces in tact. They won't come off by itself.

I haven't adjusted any of the screws... Mine is currently perfect and smooth when turning (I'm not even sure if there's lube or not). So I had no need to adjust it.
-----

I have told Jing that I can't wait to compare them side to side. She said that it's similar. But I'm wondering if they are using megaminx cores and newly made pieces or just building up from a megaminx and adding pieces. I doubt that they wouldn't use NEW pieces. So maybe disassembling/reassembling would be a bit different?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:19 pm 

I swore this thread had 3 pages...

So is the Crystal the size of the Megaminx? And is the Meffert's Min the same size as the chinese clones?

4x4x4 . . . PB: 1:11.32 Avg: 1:27
5x5x5 . . . PB: 2:26.47 Avg: 2:36.04
Pyraminx . PB: 4.18 Avg: 8.43

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:28 pm 

Siraj A. wrote:
So is the Crystal the size of the Megaminx? And is the Meffert's Min the same size as the chinese clones?

It is likely Meffert's will be the same size as Okamoto's and Aleh's, which is the same size as the Skewb Ultimate. The Meffert's Megaminx is the same exterior size as the Tomy Megaminx and Hungarian Supernova, although all three have differing interior dimensions. The Chinese megaminx is in between the Skewb Ultimate and the Megaminx, but looks more like a Supernova because its edges meet in a point.

Here's a picture of all these puzzles, for reference:
Considering the dodecahedrons on the bottom rows:
Three Supernovas on the left, two Chinese Megaminxs on the right top, one Tomy Megaminx on the bottom right, and our friend the Brilic in the top center.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:40 pm 

Thanks Dave. I love that assortment for some reason... So, since you have the Crystal, is it the same difficulty as te Megaminx?

4x4x4 . . . PB: 1:11.32 Avg: 1:27
5x5x5 . . . PB: 2:26.47 Avg: 2:36.04
Pyraminx . PB: 4.18 Avg: 8.43

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:25 am 

Love the pics Dave. ;)

Siraj,

The solution is actually a bit easier. It's a centerless megaminx. Plus you can shift pieces a lot quicker, imo. Also, you move more pieces per twist than you would a megaminx.

Honestly, I don't think it takes away from the puzzle at all. To feel it in your hands as you are solving it is such a joy. 12 colors is a good decision to go, I think.

Dave, what have your times dropped down to, if you had the chance to? I know we were heads up awhile back, My times have been getting alot quicker, maybe quicker than my 5x5x5 (although both are near the 10 minute mark +/-).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:00 am 

I can't wait till I can solve a tangible Pyraminx Crystal.

If Meffert's has more delays, I might get a chance to play with a Brilic before the production one!

Depending on the stability, I think I could easily get a sub 5 minute time.

That is if Darren would still like a meet up. (I'm willing to drive sometime this winter holiday even.)

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:05 am 

Noah wrote:

No. No. Please don't do that! lol :P :D

Uhm... Me and Dave, I think, are the only fastest ones one this puzzle! hahaha...

Na, I'm sure it can easily be beaten. It's just that both of us aren't speedcubers!

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about the PC! A LOOOONG History with this puzzle's past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:23 am 

reeeech wrote:
Noah wrote:

No. No. Please don't do that! lol :P :D

Uhm... Me and Dave, I think, are the only fastest ones one this puzzle! hahaha...

Na, I'm sure it can easily be beaten. It's just that both of us aren't speedcubers!

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about the PC! A LOOOONG History with this puzzle's past.

I consider myself more of a solutionist and/or a collector who is moderately fast.

Man, I wish I could meet all of you guys sometime.

It's a long history indeed. Hopefully there won't be any more delays on making it fully public.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:57 am 

reeeech wrote:
Dave, what have your times dropped down to, if you had the chance to? I know we were heads up awhile back, My times have been getting alot quicker, maybe quicker than my 5x5x5 (although both are near the 10 minute mark +/-).

I haven't taken it off the shelf for some time :( I was below 15 minutes some time back, but my Megaminx is closer to half that (6:23 is my best I believe). Something about shifting the edges afterwards is still slow for me even though it is a simple movement sequence. I'm sure with some work I could be quite a bit faster.

It is also much more prone to mis-alignment problems than the Megaminx. Well, that and the fact that I don't want to break a $1000 puzzle custom built by a friend. I'm sure I'll be a bit more daring with the Mefferts one when mine arrives.

I would guess once they are out on the market times will drop below 3 minutes fairly quickly, and I can see it dropping to the Megaminx times not so long after that.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:17 am 

DLitwin wrote:
It is also much more prone to mis-alignment problems than the Megaminx. Well, that and the fact that I don't want to break a $1000 puzzle custom built by a friend. I'm sure I'll be a bit more daring with the Mefferts one when mine arrives.

Dave

I would never dare speedsolve any custom puzzle (of that caliber. Something like a Fisher Cube would be a different story).

Even if I do get to play with expensive puzzles, I'd never speedsolve them. Even when I solved Bryan's Helicopter Cube, I was very very careful when turning it.

All of this talk is making me giddy. Seems like my dream from a few years ago might come true! Creepy...

viewtopic.php?t=5864

And with this (my 1801st post :P) I bid you adieu as I goto bed hoping I that particular dream reoccurs. :)

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:48 am 

THowell wrote:
I dont have your problem Noah, I have never even seen a rare puzzle in really life, besides the astrolabacus.

I hope to go somewhere to see a few rare ones.

I've also been part of the community longer, so I'd assume that would help. Plus I've met two of the members in real life (we'll, technically 3), Bryan Logan and Doug (UMichSpeedcubist), and Jake Rueth (Username "Jake").

Give it time. If you ever goto a competition I'm sure you'll get the chance to meet some people and see some rare-ish puzzles. It might not be worth hundreds of dollars, but you might get to see some.

I mean, at the Minnesota Open, a bunch of the younger kids were amazed by my 3x3x5 Magnet Dice cube and Jake's Dogic.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:27 pm 

Noah wrote:

That is if Darren would still like a meet up. (I'm willing to drive sometime this winter holiday even.)

I have off the December 22 to January 1. Please IM me because I dislike PM tag.

Noah wrote:
DLitwin wrote:

Dave

I would never dare speedsolve any custom puzzle (of that caliber. Something like a Fisher Cube would be a different story).

Even if I do get to play with expensive puzzles, I'd never speedsolve them. Even when I solved Bryan's Helicopter Cube, I was very very careful when turning it.

You can play with my puzzles because of the quote above me in this post. I trust you very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:50 pm 
If your from the North East, lets just say I know of a string of competitions that are going to be held in New York and Conneticut. I don't want to say anything else because I don't know if people want them released yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:09 pm 

Hmm, I think the only rare puzzles I've seen in person were Adam Zamora's 4x4x5, my Domino, and Frank's Olympicubes. But that's OK, because I have computer cubes to solve :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:54 am 

At first when I saw these on meffert's I remained undecided on whether or not I should get a minx and crystal. I'm still a bit skeptical on whether or not I really want one and would be a good way to spend my money, but seeing as they are very limited in quantity, I think I'll go for it. I'll talk to my mom(the one with all the credit cards) about it, so that's all right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:03 pm 

Siraj A. wrote:
Thanks Dave. I love that assortment for some reason...

This picture has just the puzzles I was talking about:
but because the Brilic and Skewb Ulitmate are behind you can't get a proper sense of scale (the Chinese Megaminx actually looks bigger than the Brilic in this picture, but isn't). The other had a better angle to see the size differences.

Dave

P.S. Yes, these are some of my favorite puzzles...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:46 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
This sucks. My mom doesn't like ordering stuff online, and has already spent a lot of cash for Christmas... I don't know if I'm ever going to get a pyraminx crystal, let alone a decent minx.

same boat. I dont even have a pyraminx or minx yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:04 pm 

I suppose december :wink: (I wish)

but will be january or february :cry: (confirmed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:58 am 

Hi All,my sister has just ordered my Pyraminx crystal and I'm looking forward to playing with it.Looking at the pictures is there an even number of pieces?if so does this mean that puzzle has parity issues?Harry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:27 am 

I live in Hong Kong...

Shall I buy it from their office/factory directly?

Haha... :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next