Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: What do you guys do apart from play with puzzles?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 8:12 am 

I was just curious, what are some of the things you guys like to do? Food? Sports? Jobs? Studying? etc...

Post subject: Other things
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2001 6:23 am 

I'm confused. What do you mean? What else is there besides puzzles? :)

Post subject: Chemical Engineer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2001 8:12 am 

Sing in a church choir. Raise kids. Garden. Normal stuff. Not very exotic.

Post subject: Come on, Cubologist
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2001 12:26 pm 

Tell us about yourself.

Post subject: The Naked Truth
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2001 4:34 am 

Okay, I guess I can divulge a little. I am a computer programmer, who spends way to much time at the computer mucking with various things including 3D Rendering, Programming, Web Site maintenance of my Virtual Puzzle Museum site, and perhaps a bit of carpentry as well, when not watching Star Trek episodes.

Post subject: Another Trekkie!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2001 5:39 am 

I bet more than a few of us puzzle fans are also Star Trek fans! How about that new Enterprise series that premiered last Saturday?

Post subject: Trekkie to the core
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 5:39 am 

Yes, I have been an avid watcher of the Original, STNG, Voyager and some of DS9. I never could really get into DS9.

Enterprise seems to be off to a good start with its two hour initial show. I hope it last a good 7 or so years like STNG and Voyager.

Post subject: What do I do
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 6:34 am 

Seeing as I asked the question, I should probably say a few things about myself.

Im 21 and Im studying maths (4th year) in Australia at Sydney University. As a project last summer, I was told to work out the group of symmetries of the rubiks cube and thats when I discovered "rubiks" puzzles. I also like watching and playing cricket, juggling, playing the guitar (used to be in a band but not at the moment - too busy at uni). I have a girlfriend who i am slowly converting to being a cube fan. She can solve a cube and actually a dogic too (!) which is pretty good for someone who isnt really a fan.

Incidentally, my thesis superviser at uni is a guy called Don Taylor. Some of you may know that Don wrote one of the first ever books on how to solve the rubiks cube. We often talk about puzzles and Ive shown him some of my new mefferts puzzles which he was amazed at...

Im not really a star trek fan, but my brother was a few years ago. he used to rent them from the video shop (im in Aus so the only ones on TV are about 50 years old) and I did get involved in the storyline of the later DS9 episodes...

Well, thats me anyway. I just thought it would be cool to know who we are talking to all the time. Wayne has told us about himself, so why not introduce ourselves as well? :wink:

Post subject: Yet another geek
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 10:27 am 

I'm a software designer/program manager at a somewhat well known software company headquartered in Redmond, WA, USA. Unfortunately, that consumes most of my "free" time. When I'm not busy at work I'm usually either trying to finish the remodel of my house, spending time with my wife and puppy, or reading SF.

On the Star Trek vein: when I was in college (early 1990s) I maintained FAQs on the technology of Star Trek for some of the USENET groups. I technically still own those, but updates are few and far between lately.

Joshua

Post subject: About me.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 1:10 pm 

I studied Maths (number theory) and am now a technical software engineer, currently under contract to Shell to work on their oil reservoir modelling software.

Other hobbies - magic tricks, reading SF, music/film.

I'm not a trekker - I grew up on Blake's 7 and Dr Who (Tom Baker).

Jaap's Puzzle Page: http://www.org2.com/jaap/puzzles

Post subject: me...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 4:17 am 

I'm a mechanical design engineer for Honeywell. I design engine sensors which we sell to GM. When I'm not working, I enjoy fishing, gardening, movies, surfing the web, and riding my motorcycle. I also do a little amateur spelunking (cave exploring) when I get the chance. I'm not really an avid Star Trek fan, but I do watch it on occasion.

As a teen, I had my first experience with cube puzzles in the 1980's, and I started a very modest collection (as much as I could afford at the time). Today my collection has grown thanks primarily to Meffert's and Ebay.

Post subject: Stay at home mom
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 6:26 pm 
Most of my time is spent taking care of my twin boys. Before the twins, I worked in the Accounting Field. My current project is painting the interior walls of my house in preparation of selling it.
I am not a huge Star Trek fan. I do, however, enjoy watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel. I am also a fan of V and have been collecting V books.

Post subject: Hey V!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 6:26 pm 

I love V. It's been a long time and hard to find anyone who even remembers it. Got the book. Vaguely remember the films.

Post subject: Does anyone look way down here for new messages?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:22 am 

In case someone actually does rediscover this thread, I'll stick in my mini-bio.

I used to be a musician until I realized how much living on the road sucked, so I quit the band and went back to school. I became a computer programmer type (a lot of us around here, it seems). I do web, multimedia, and a lot of other stuff that's too boring to be buzz words. Check me out at http://www.prevalence.com

I'm a guy, not a girl (curse my parents for that name), and I'm happily married.

I thoroughly enjoy board games. A group of friends and I get together every Sunday like clockwork. We choose from a collection that's easily over 100 titles. I also enjoy math and logic problems (http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~kend/potw/ is a fav), movies, and roleplaying games.

I've never really thought of it before, but it looks like I embody the entire socially outcast geek stereotype.

Geez.

Sandy

Post subject: Star Trek
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:24 pm 

I'm making my way through the archives, and boy are there a lot.

This is bringing back an old thread, but had I known about the site in 2002 (instead of now joining almost five years later) I would have mentioned that at that time I was just about to ship the PC Video game Star Trek: Bridge Commander.

I've since left gaming, but perhaps some who contributed to this thread might have played it.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:03 am 

I am, yes, another computer guy. I'm employed by HP, and working as a contractor for Ericsson doing systems administration. Other things I do (besides puzzles) that could be moderately interesting are juggling, contact juggling, and yoyos. I'm good enough with yoyos that people frequently ask me if I'm a pro, but I'm nowhere near that skilled. :)

I'm also the stereotypical geek - I read SF, used to like Star Trek, spend too much time at my computer, don't get out much, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:51 am 

dlitwin, please don't resurrect really old threads like this. Just start a new one and link. Thanks.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]