Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The ‘Unscrambled’ puzzle by Oskar van Deventer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:38 pm 

During the Dutch Cube Day of October 14th, Oskar van Deventer showed a beautiful, very intriguing new puzzle which he calls ‘Unscrambled’.
It is a twisty puzzle with a very interesting novel concept.

The puzzle is coloured in green and white (top and bottom). It consists of 10 segments which come together at a centre point. The 10 segments have rather peculiar shapes. Furthermore, the angular size of these segments varies, meaning that most of the intersection lines between the segments have no ‘straight’, continued intersection line beyond the centre point. In other words, there are only few cases (with continued, aligned straight ‘lines’) allowing one half of the puzzle to be rotated with respect to the other half. After completing such a half-turn, a new set of intersecting lines arises of which again only one or a few can be used for a new ‘half-turn’. In case only one continued ‘line’ remains after a half-turn, one has arrived at a dead end, one has to return and another solution sequence has to be chosen to restore the puzzle.
On other occasions one has to make a choice between multiple alternatives of continued lines along which a half-turn is possible.

For me personally, the concept of this puzzle is entirely new and the puzzle is designed beautifully. It is a fantastic twisty puzzle in a category of its own.
I would like to thank Oskar for designing and making the puzzle and for showing it to us.

For a (limited) availability of the puzzle, see the ‘Marketplace’ section of this forum.

Geert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:50 pm 

It looks great! But, is there a picture of it "unscrambled"? :) I can't visualise it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:59 pm 

joey wrote:
It looks great! But, is there a picture of it "unscrambled"? :) I can't visualise it!

All the "corner" pieces are right-angles, so I'm guessing the unscrambled state must be a square prism (ie: cube-like).

Is it permanently assembled, or does it come apart as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm 

Unfortunately, I have no pictures (yet) of the puzzle in unscrambled state, but indeed it is somewhat cube-like in shape.

The puzzle is indeed 'permanently' assembled; so it is a real twisty puzzle

Geert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:31 pm 

What a masterpiece!

Do we have an estimate on the cost? If it's within my budget I'd love to add it to my collection.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:21 pm 

This might be a "sufficiently unscrambled" photo of the Unscrambled puzzle.

It seems that they scrambled it right after its trip to Australia(?)

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:56 pm 

Wow, what a lovely puzzle. It's like the choose-your-own-adventure book of puzzles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:12 pm 

The unscrambled is actually a collaboration with me, so I can give some more information about it. It's technically speaking a bandaged 22-piece puck, which has a clever parity restriction to allow the pieces to be all about the same size. There is in fact a way of taking it apart from a very specific position (at least in the variant pictured here - it would be easy to get rid of that property), although it's quite far from trivial to do so. In fact, this puzzle is a very archetypical of bandaged puzzles, meaning, among other things, that it's ludicrously, ridiculously difficult. Wei-Hwa Huang played with it for an hour and didn't really make any progress, and the reason it's scrambled in the pictures is that Nick Baxter started fiddling with it assuming he could get it back again and by the time he realized how hard it is it was already scrambled. Those are two of the best puzzle solvers in the world.

There are actually a few variants on the unscrambled, including one with a central cylinder like a regular puck. Geert, which variant are you planning on making, and what printing device are you planning on using? The variant with no central cylinder can really benefit from a strong, high resolution printing process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:52 pm 

This looks like a very interesting puzzle to have. I have three questions for you. Is this sort of like a rubiks cheese? What I mean by that is it looks like it has 2 layers but it only has 1 layer. When it is in the solved state is it solid green on one side and solid white on the other side or is it mixed? I notice the puzzle has letters on the side. Is that suppose to make a word, name or a clue on how to solve it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:35 pm 

Darren Grewe wrote:
This looks like a very interesting puzzle to have. I have three questions for you. Is this sort of like a rubiks cheese? What I mean by that is it looks like it has 2 layers but it only has 1 layer. When it is in the solved state is it solid green on one side and solid white on the other side or is it mixed? I notice the puzzle has letters on the side. Is that suppose to make a word, name or a clue on how to solve it?

From what I understand...

1) It is one layer, but two colors, just like the Rubik's Cheese.

2) The Solved state is a square, and the colors are separated, white on one side, green on the other.

3) It is supposed to say "Unscrambled" alone the side.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:36 am 

Noah's answers are correct. None of the pieces are exactly the same shape, so the only way to make it be a rectangular block is in the solved state, even ignoring the letters. The pieces are asymmetric, and so don't have orientation. The outer edge reads 'UNSCRAMBLED' when the whole puzzle is solved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:24 am 

Bram wrote:
Noah's answers are correct. None of the pieces are exactly the same shape, so the only way to make it be a rectangular block is in the solved state, even ignoring the letters. The pieces are asymmetric, and so don't have orientation. The outer edge reads 'UNSCRAMBLED' when the whole puzzle is solved.

Just clarifying.

So it's impossible to have it in a cubic shape and not solved? (Separated colors and 'UNSCRAMBLED' along the side)

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:43 am 

Hi :-)

So this is basically solved like a puck puzzle with numbers 1-12?? Or is it more restricted in its movements than that ??

Hmmm ... :?

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:04 am 

Noah wrote:
So it's impossible to have it in a cubic shape and not solved? (Separated colors and 'UNSCRAMBLED' along the side)

That's correct, although there are some almost cubic shapes (actually a paralleliped, it's narrower in the Z axis).

per wrote:
So this is basically solved like a puck puzzle with numbers 1-12?? Or is it more restricted in its movements than that ??

It's much more restricted than that. It's like a bandaged 22-piece puck, and typically only has 2 or 3 slices which can be done from any given position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:15 am 

The 2 colored parts are a neat 3d printer "trick". The print is started with one color, and part way through the build material cartridge is swapped out for another color. The build continues with the second color fused to the first in the same way as the previous build layers. If you had the patience to watch the entire build, you could make a "rainbow" one. (white, yellow, red, green, blue, grey, black)

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:01 pm 

The puzzle, in its unscrabled state, looked like a bar of soap. That was before Oskar scambled the damn thing never to be seen in the orignal state again.

Attachments:
Tony and Oskar at DCD 2007.jpg
Tony and Oskar at DCD 2007.jpg [ 45.06 KiB | Viewed 1039 times ]