Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:44 pm 

All right, for my 300th post I enshrine Mr. Colbert in 768 mini-cubes:

Enjoy,

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:24 pm 

Nice 8-) what are you going to do next?

My favorite animal is the Pfargtl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:38 pm 

I must say the in progress pictures look nicer than the final product. I think it was the general light they were in. Since it was darker, it looked much more realistic.

Don't get me wrong. I still deeply admire this project.

See if you can get on the show or something. If not, I'm sure Speedcubing.com would love to post a picture.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:09 am 

This Is The Coolest Thing I Have Ever Seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:52 am 

Noah wrote:
I must say the in progress pictures look nicer than the final product. I think it was the general light they were in. Since it was darker, it looked much more realistic.

Don't get me wrong. I still deeply admire this project.

See if you can get on the show or something. If not, I'm sure Speedcubing.com would love to post a picture.

The progress pictures were taken with my cell phone which has terrible resolution (640x480) and color. This why the color is so washed out. But being washed out looks better because the palette of the mini-cubes is a bit too saturated for a person's portrait (mostly pink, tan, black and white). The dithering program I use does the best it can, but a cheap camera makes it better :)

As to getting on the show's site, we should have an entry about the whole process on my company's blog sometime Monday and will probably let the show know about it and have them (if they wish to) link to that site. Since my company bought the cubes for this as a marketing project (the company logo), it's fair to give them a bit of traffic that comes out of curious clickers. I'll let Speed Cubing know about it and give them the company blog link as well, thanks for suggesting that.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:57 am 

Myke wrote:
Nice 8-) what are you going to do next?

Next is a portrait of Ray Hopewood:
http://www.rayhopewood.com/
Ray is another marketing project by my company and is a parody of sleazy Enterprise Software salesmen (i.e., our competition) much like Stephen Colbert is a parody of Bill O'Reilly.

After that... I'm not sure. Perhaps the Mona Lisa I posted earlier (page one or two of this thread).

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:20 am 

dlitwin wrote:
Next is a portrait of Ray Hopewood:
http://www.rayhopewood.com/

Does anyone else get the urge to edit the home page with Blu-Ray on the right?

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:30 pm 

Very nice! Do a picture of me! That would be pretty beastly, and I would love to use it as an avatar, LOL.

Just kidding, I don't think my mom would be wild about my face being put on the internet... Either way, I have faith that what ever you do, it will look awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:38 am 

Although posts of EBay auction links are usually in Marketplace, I figured this one was better off on this thread:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110150169338&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:us
For anyone who's been needing a bunch of mini-cube keychains, here's your chance! I think you can guess where they came from...

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:29 am 

dlitwin wrote:
Although posts of EBay auction links are usually in Marketplace, I figured this one was better off on this thread:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110150169338&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:us
For anyone who's been needing a bunch of mini-cube keychains, here's your chance! I think you can guess where they came from...

Dave

Warning though. The quality is atrocious. Only good to modding practice (but not worth selling. Just to learn cutting and filling techniques.) or something where you just need a bulk number of cubes, such as Dave's project here.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:39 pm 

Noah wrote:
dlitwin wrote:

Dave

Warning though. The quality is atrocious. Only good to modding practice (but not worth selling. Just to learn cutting and filling techniques.) or something where you just need a bulk number of cubes, such as Dave's project here.

TAKE NOTE! These are the keychains only.
Yes, the quality of the keychain itself is also poor, but unelss you intend to mod the keychain to make chainmail or something, these won't help your modding skills. If you look at the auction picture it is fairly clear the cubes are not included. I'm still using them, and given the huge amount of work I spent restickering them with white, they won't be for sale any time soon.

Enjoy,

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:04 am 

So apparently I have been named the "Picasso of cubes":
http://digg.com/offbeat_news/Stephen_Colbert_s_portrait_made_from_of_768_Rubik_s_Cubes_PICS

We posted about the Stephen Colbert portrait on our blog, and my co-worker submitted it to boingboing.net, and it has been spreading from there. It has quite a respectable digg.com count, and the flickr set has over 73,000 views.

My favorite link about it (for the moment) is:
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/678417/Colbert_Portrait_in_Rubiks_Cubes.html?detectflash=false&

It's on the fansite (http://www.colbertnation.com) and main site (http://www.comedycentral.com) so perhaps we'll get a mention on the show :)

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:26 am 

Wow, congrats! I think it's hilarious all of the comments that say stuff like "Wow, he has too much time on his hands."

Maybe you'll get to be on TV! That would be awesome, getting on TV just for a project involving rubik's cubes :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:45 am 

I saw it mentioned in the tech blog on the USA Today as well.
I'm guessing Stephen Colbert will mention it at some point. Especially if it's on Comedy Central's website.

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:54 am 

It was just a matter of time before this got the attention it deserved.
Now they should ask David to create the puzzle competition trophies!

Well done David!

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:45 pm 

What is really frightening is that I've found a cheaper source of mini-cubes, in any sticker colors I want. Given that 80% of the work of this project was getting the white stickers on the cubes, imagine what I could do with more time and cheaper cubes.

The marketing department has given me the nod to do more, and so the real question is not so much whether or not to do another, but how big to go. The board size for making the frame comes in 8' by 4' sheets (about 2.6x1.3 meters), which will allow me to do a nice letterbox frame of 67x38 cubes (200x114 pixels) requiring a bit over 2500 cubes. It would basically be a bit bigger than three of my existing frame lined up side by side.

Hmmm.... Perhaps I need a cooling off period before I do something foolish.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:58 pm 

dlitwin wrote:
What is really frightening is that I've found a cheaper source of mini-cubes, in any sticker colors I want.

Can you share your source?

-

Looking forward to seeing more. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:16 pm 

It's going to be amazing to see your next project though, esp if it is that big!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:43 pm 

dlitwin wrote:
What is really frightening is that I've found a cheaper source of mini-cubes, in any sticker colors I want. Given that 80% of the work of this project was getting the white stickers on the cubes, imagine what I could do with more time and cheaper cubes.

LOL you should really use the cubes to create some abstract art. After all, you are the Picasso of cubes!

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:17 am 

chris the cynic wrote:
dlitwin wrote:
What is really frightening is that I've found a cheaper source of mini-cubes, in any sticker colors I want.

Can you share your source?

The forum member Finder (http://www.9spuzzles.com) was able to locate a source for me (I would be buying through Finder). They aren't on his site, but if you ask him I'm sure he would sell to anyone. Keep in mind though, the good price was for a bulk order of 1000 or more, and the custom sticker colors was only for an order of that size. I don't know if his source would deal in smaller quantities, you would have to ask Finder.

I still need to finalize my next project plans before ordering, but I definintely plan on getting some more.

Dave

Post subject: Re: rubikubism
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:44 pm 

David! Really awesome job the one you're doing! I hadn't seen this threat untill today!

Since it's rubik-mosaics related, have you already seen the huge mosaic we did in Spain?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64F2BjrmmR0

Hope you like it!

David

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:06 pm 

rastarubik wrote:
David! Really awesome job the one you're doing! I hadn't seen this threat untill today!

Since it's rubik-mosaics related, have you already seen the huge mosaic we did in Spain?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64F2BjrmmR0

Hope you like it!

David

Wow, 1300 beats my 768 by quite a bit. And full sized cubes, great job!

If I do more it will be with the 19mm size. Otherwise it takes up too much space :)

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:39 pm 

A final bump to finish off my cube-mosiac career:
This was made from the same frame and cubes as the BigFix logo.
BigFix was acquired by IBM on September 1st 2010 and I figured it was a fitting new image to do as the cubes were falling apart and it was fairly simple. I didn't have enough white to do the entire frame in white so the top and bottom are blue.

And I am done, this was a simple image but far too much work as the terrible quality cubes were constantly shedding stickers due to the poor glue.

Not my best work, but some closure at least :)

Dave