Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:10 pm 

emr1028 wrote:
well i have to disagree. i actually think alot of our members are younger. well actually, i think that we have some people who cubed in the 80s, and some that first cubed later than 2000. as many of us know, the cube recently got a huge popularity jump.there is a second wave starting with teens. and as for my grammar, you really can't expect me to even attempt to write well when it's not being graded, can you? thats an effect of school, you learn all this stuff but it makes you hate alot of it. And the last time i checked, this thread was called jimbob, not emr1028s grammer. feel free to start that thread if you want

Well, it's more like making sure everyone understands what you write. If you have been around, there were many people who misunderstood past posts because of this.

Unless of course, you want to confuse others! LOL

;)

Pantazis

PS Kyle, I wasn't crying when I typed this!!! :P

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:59 pm 

It is ok to make a few remarks on bad grammar. no one should be offended by that, but it shouldn't be a "problem", and Bryan i act way differently then i do in this forum.I don't know about the rest of you though.

-Pantazis, there are just too many people complaining about almost nothing these days. You know what i mean :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:31 am 

Kyle the chimney sweeper wrote:
there are just too many people complaining about almost nothing these days. You know what i mean :P

Yes I do! :)

And while being on the subject, I want to complain about something:
Why do people use the word "cube" instead of using the small cube images :solved: :scrambled: which already exist in the smiley list?

It is a disgrace and those who don't comply should be banned forever!!! :P
(including me)

On a more (or less) serious note, I think it will be nice if someone made cubie-emoticons! :)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:00 am 

now that is a great idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:31 am 

Kyle the chimney sweeper wrote:
now that is a great idea.

We can use each color side of the cube as some sort of emotion.

On the yellow side of the cube there will be the happy smiley.
On the red side, angry.
On the green, disgusted.
On the blue, sad.
On the orange, shy.
On the white, cool with sunnies.

Oh wait... that could even be a new 3x3x3 sticker variation!!!

:D

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:13 am 

Quote:
emr1028 wrote:
you really can't expect me to even attempt to write well when it's not being graded, can you?

But you are being graded. True, it's not an A->F that's kept on your permanent record, but your reputation in terms of maturity is ranked really low in my view. So if you ever responded to one of my trade requests, guess what? I probably won't choose you, even if what you have seems like the best deal. If you offer something for sale, I probably won't buy it. If I happened to meet you at a cubing event, I probably won't talk to you for long, because I have this preconceived idea how you'll act based on your actions in this forum.

Agreed; great point Bryan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:32 pm 
i think that as long as it is understandable, then it should be allowed. bad grammar/mildly bad spelling should be allowed. leetspeak, and talking in wierd computer languages shouldn't be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:11 pm 

iff aye tawked lyke dis awl da time awn da forim, ude bee abel 2 undurstand mee, rite? Bryan iz seighin dat moast peepl wudnt rispect mee dat mutch az a persin becuz uv itt. Shur i mite bee uh grate gai, buht u donte no dat. oure impreshin uv u iz baced awn ur languidge.

Kwihnn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:12 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesi ... rev3.shtml

Reminds me of that poem.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:16 pm 
Quinn Lewis wrote:
iff aye tawked lyke dis awl da time awn da forim, ude bee abel 2 undurstand mee, rite? Bryan iz seighin dat moast peepl wudnt rispect mee dat mutch az a persin becuz uv itt. Shur i mite bee uh grate gai, buht u donte no dat. oure impreshin uv u iz baced awn ur languidge.

Kwihnn

i said midly bad spelling. saying things like: i was going to rite it, or something like i like u 2 should be exceptable. but writing out and horibly mispelling everyword shouldn't be acceptable, i agree with that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:29 pm 

May I also add that if you start typing correctly now, it becomes second nature, so when you are typing assignments for school later on, it is a lot easier to type. Also, when you leave school and start applying for jobs/working and need to write reports, you are already used to typing correctly and it makes things a lot easier.

I am not telling you that you have to change the way you type, but if you ask me, it's in your best interest.

I actually started off with lax grammar, but I soon changed, I did not like how I sounded and it didn't give a good impression of me.

Here is my first ever post:
Pembo wrote:
hello,
i have just joined the forums, and am interested in learning to speedsolve.

i have been cubing for 4 weeks now and i am using the method that you get with the cube and i am getting 1:20 average (or there abouts).

i have made a few little adjustments to the method to suit me.

i am wondering how i should start learning to speedsolve and also some tips and advice would be nice.

please dont say that i should lubricate my cube, i know that but i cant dismantle my cube to be able to do it

You see, I still used punctuation, but I missed out capitilisations, which messages look better?

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:23 pm 

Pembo, you really have grown. 1:20 to 16, they really do grow up fast. Good grammar in this forum, just accept that one fact and you'll be well on your way to becoming awsome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:17 am 

Actually, I got a lot of true answers, this was one of the first questions like this. ;)

Quinn was very quick to help. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:11 am 

That's right, Pembo! I got your back man...even though you're inching upon my PB average (I DARE you to beat it!).

Quote:
I wonder if the responce was "do a search"

JIMBOB, if you would have done a simple search, you'd see that wasn't the response at all.

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:24 am 

Quinn Lewis wrote:
JIMBOB, if you would have done a simple search, you'd see that wasn't the response at all.

Quinn

Ouch, the irony.

I doubt I will be breaking your competition PB any time soon ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:34 am 

I would also like to point out to others the recent increase in general sarcasm is also not appropriate:

http://twistypuzzles.com/forumrules.shtml

Now back to discussing puzzles....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:10 am 

sausage wrote:
I would also like to point out to others the recent increase in general sarcasm is also not appropriate:

I think the increase in sarcasm is because of the frustration many of the older members of this forum have been experiencing. Look at all the posts that have been made regarding this topic.

Can we get some statement from you or Sandy on some guidelines for new people?