Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Air vs. Surface shipping.
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:58 pm 

When ordering puzzles from China, I recommend air shipping.

I recently ordered a fairly large order from Finder (http://www.9spuzzles.com) and used surface shipping to save cost (about $50 instead of $90). I wasn't in a hurry, and so it seemed like the right choice.

Surface shipping took just four weeks (of the four to six week estimate) so I was happy when I heard the package had arrived. Sadly, it was mashed pretty bad, and from a tear in the corner was leaking pieces of my DIYs. Take a look:
The package could have been protected better (subsequent packing has been fine). Even with better packing though, it seems four weeks in a shipping container on the Pacific Ocean is pretty brutal to a package. It looked like it had been patched up by the post office because Finder confirmed the placement of puzzles wasn't the way he shipped it and had tape he didn't put on. Likely it was squashed, burst, and a postal employee scooped up what they could and slapped on some tape. Out of 24 DIYs a full 8 were not buildable because of missing pieces.

Unfortunately my post office just dropped it at my front door (even though it said signature required) leaving me no chance to refuse it, and Finder no chance to get insurance on it.
Nonetheless Finder was nice enough to send me the missing pieces in a subsequent package which went by airmail:

This worked out much nicer, and only took a week.

So spend a bit more money, wait less, and keep your puzzles safe.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:33 pm 

The Megaminx come with boxes now? Nice

How are those square 1's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:40 pm 

David, I have experience shipping huge parcels by sea to Russia. Think of boxes that are 20in on each side (cubes). So the real secret is using appropriate packaging for the journey. Mine were double-wall boxes with something like 300 pounds rating or so. I don't remember but I could check if really necessary. All arrived just fine. Looking at your photos I'd say that the packaging is inadequate for an overseas shipping by sea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:05 pm 

S.Rubiks wrote:
The Megaminx come with boxes now? Nice

How are those square 1's?

They are the "new" megaminx, so perhaps that is part of what is new? Or perhaps it is just something Finder throws in. Either way they are lubricated and move OK, but still catch and will pop apart if I tried to move fast.

The Square-1s are very tight, even after some silicon spray. I've heard on other threads that that they are fragile, but I've not had any problems in a normal solve other than friction.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:09 pm 

Aleksey wrote:
David, I have experience shipping huge parcels by sea to Russia. Think of boxes that are 20in on each side (cubes). So the real secret is using appropriate packaging for the journey. Mine were double-wall boxes with something like 300 pounds rating or so. I don't remember but I could check if really necessary. All arrived just fine. Looking at your photos I'd say that the packaging is inadequate for an overseas shipping by sea.

I think it was definitely inadequate, given the result :)
I've suggested to Finder to charge a few dollars extra for surface shipping and add a better box and some more bubble wrap. I think buyers would find this to be a worthwhile cost, as it would still be loads cheaper than airmail.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:45 pm 

For the record, my older version Chinese Megaminx came with a box.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject: Re: Air vs. Surface shipping.
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:29 am 

dlitwin wrote:
Unfortunately my post office just dropped it at my front door (even though it said signature required) leaving me no chance to refuse it, and Finder no chance to get insurance on it.

If nobody signed the package, Finder can reclaim the insurance because he can say that the package got lost and they cannot prove you have it.

The best spanish forum about the rubik cube

http://www.rubikaz.com/foro