Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Which Cuboid Do I Get Next?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:39 pm 

I currently have a 4x4x6, super 3x3x5, 3x3x5, and 3x3x7. I am planing on getting a new cuboid(under $40) and need help deciding which one would offer the most challenge and the most fun solving. I was considering ayi's 4x4x3 or 4x4x5. If anyone has a view on what i should get as my next cuboid(doesn't have to include what I originally was considering) I would appreciate the input.

Post subject: Re: Which Cuboid Do I Get Next?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:49 pm 

I'd say get what you want (yeah it's trite, sorry). Ayi's cuboids are really great, high quality products. I think both are fun solves.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:13 pm 

imike45 wrote:
I currently have a 4x4x6, super 3x3x5, 3x3x5, and 3x3x7. I am planing on getting a new cuboid(under $40) and need help deciding which one would offer the most challenge and the most fun solving. I was considering ayi's 4x4x3 or 4x4x5. If anyone has a view on what i should get as my next cuboid(doesn't have to include what I originally was considering) I would appreciate the input.

If you're only getting one, I'd say ayi's 5x5x4.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:23 pm 

My suggestion is a 3x4x5.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:26 am 

I was going to say the same as Voltair Prime. The 3x4x5, you can apply what you've learned on the others, but it is quite a different beast to the other cuboids you have, easily one of my favourite puzzles in my collection.

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:53 am 

2x3x4 and 3x4x5, just because they are different solves :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:20 am 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
For the 2x3x4 you should order the repair kit as well to make it truly fully functional. Both are nice puzzles.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:35 am 

Konrad wrote:
Kattenvriendin wrote:
For the 2x3x4 you should order the repair kit as well to make it truly fully functional. Both are nice puzzles.

BTW Konrad, do you know whether there is some modification of the 3x4x5 that can stop the very occasional internal lockup? it is just a minor annoyance, but it can happen. I think TomZ once posted something on that regard but I did not follow up on that.

(The fully unbandaged 2x3x4 on the other hand is fantastic.)

Roberto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:47 am 

Roberto, no, I think TomZ just offered to make a Shapeways solution. I believe, he never made it, because it is such a minor problem.
Actually I had solved the 3x4x5 many times (the original Shapeways puzzle and the mass-produced mf8 version) and never came across it accidentally.
On the other hand, the 2x3x4 locked up at every single solve until I used the "repair kit".
(I even kept one without the un-bandaging for historic reasons. I solved it many times in this state, but I never liked the hidden kind of locking. :( mf8 insisted that this was designed intentionally :roll: )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:57 am 

Brandon Enright wrote:
I'd say get what you want (yeah it's trite, sorry). Ayi's cuboids are really great, high quality products. I think both are fun solves.

I find that Ayi's 4x4x5 and 5x5x4 are very nice puzzles, but when I got them, I more or less solved them straight away, with one catch (more later). The fact is, once you know how to solve the big cubes and, say, the 3x3x2 or the 3x3x4, then you can solve them with just a tiny bit of creativity.

It is first with the 2x3x4 and 3x4x5 that you have the first new challenges, namely the 3-cycle of edge pieces (I admit I had to use Konrad's algorithm as I was stuck). But, apart from that, solving is not too difficult. It is definitely fun, so I reiterate that the 2x3x4 and 3x4x5 are my first recommendations (and the different edge lenght arities on them make them into reasonably different challenges).

Now, the "catch" about Ayi's puzzles. When I first tried to solve Ayi's 5x5x4, it just crumbled in my hands (and I was in a hotel in Leuven, I was lucky I had a little screwdriver with me). I had to reassemble it and it was somehow annoying to do, it must have to do with the angular shapes and quite tight tolerances. After I reassembled it and tightened the screws better, it did not crumble any more, but it has an awkward feeling.

Roberto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:03 am 

Konrad wrote:
Roberto, no, I think TomZ just offered to make a Shapeways solution. I believe, he never made it, because it is such a minor problem.
Actually I had solved the 3x4x5 many times (the original Shapeways puzzle and the mass-produced mf8 version) and never came across it accidentally.

Never? I stumbled on that twice in about 10 solves. But you may remember that one of the first things I did was to try to see if I could lock it like the older 2x3x4 and produced one of the shortest sequences to lock it - which is quite surprising in hindsight, since only later I realised that the two locking issues are actually geometrically different.

Quote:
On the other hand, the 2x3x4 locked up at every single solve until I used the "repair kit".
(I even kept one without the un-bandaging for historic reasons. I solved it many times in this state, but I never liked the hidden kind of locking. :( mf8 insisted that this was designed intentionally :roll: )

I was quite bummed because I just got it, a friend picked it up and started scrambling it, and then it immediately locked. It was so painful because I had no idea what was happening.

I also have two: an original one (I do not even want to solve that, I think it is just wrongly designed and just keep it as a collection item) and the fixed one.

Roberto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:35 am 

Good call Konrad!

There are places that sell that 2x3x4 including the repair kit. HKnowstore I believe, and Zcube.hk as well.

Just look for the image of a puzzle with a few additional pieces laying next to it :)