Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Do you like puzzles with a clicking mechanism?
Yes, I prefer clicking mechanisms 32%  32%  [ 7 ]
No, I prefer smooth-turning puzzles 68%  68%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Clicking Mechanisms
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:42 pm 

In general, how many of you prefer puzzles with clicking mechanisms?
For me: personally, I don't find them all that appealing, especially when there are clicks in the middle of a turn rather than only at realignment. Smooth puzzles are also easier for me to turn. However I think it also depends on the puzzle. I prefer my Skewb without the ball bearings, but actually prefer the Golden Cube with them because it helps with alignment.

Post subject: Re: Clicking Mechanisms
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:04 am 

I would love it if the Pyraminx Crystal had one because of the edge pieces or the alignment that way a piece pop out or miss alignment.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:02 am 

I definitely prefer it without. One in particular that really annoys me is Ayi's 3 layer cheese, it's very difficult to turn sometimes, purely due to the clicking mechanism, and you end up popping the thing apart instead.

However with skewbs, I pretty much expect it, and it seems odd without it now. I have a few cheap shapemods that don't really have one, and they seem a little odd, without it, and when the shapemod is quite extreme, I think it is handy to find the correct alignment, I wouldn't want it to be widespread on puzzles though, that's for sure.

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:58 pm 

I like the clickiness of some puzzles. I enjoy the V-6 clicking (although its lockups are common enough) the clickiness is nice for that one.

I like smooth, but when it's too smooth it becomes a problem. With all these new 3x3s and various other puzzles, I find them too smooth sometimes and turn to an older model that I like.

If I were to choose, I'd ask for a medium to light "snapping" in my puzzles, almost like a soft ball bearing feel that the skewb has. If anything, I'd like that, maybe not ball bearings but I want a small sense of control over speed. I personally use the Dayan 6 (PanShi if you wondered the name) and I like it, bit it's too squishy, which made me go to a REALLY old C4U model which has a cylindrical mech like the Rubik's cube (as we all may know).

It has a small snappiness, but it isn't too much. I do wish it had movement like the PanShi, but then I'd lose some control. I like to balance everything, and sometimes it's hard.

Ironically, I swapped the PanShi springs with some soft V-4 springs (medium wouldn't fit without too much tension. I like it, it has a snappiness and smooth movement now, and I'm QUITE HAPPY :lol:

I chose clickiness for the poll, but I wonder if "Light to Medium Snapping" could be added. Does that sound like a reasonable thing to add? It's not clicking, and not smooth, so I feel it *COULD* be added is all.

-Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:57 am 

I'm not a big fan of clicking mechanisms, but I love the feeling of the Skewb's clicking mechanism, it's smooth, has a satisfying metallic click to it as opposed to the V6's grinding plastic. and it has great tactile feedback that reminds me of mechanical keyboards.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:03 pm 

Pouring Bees wrote:
...and it has great tactile feedback that reminds me of mechanical keyboards.

I swear if I WASN'T visiting a certain site so often, that portion of your post wouldn't have been so funny. Mechanical keyboards are amazing, but you need the right coloured switches too.

Back to the point,
Pouring Bees wrote:
I'm not a big fan of clicking mechanisms, but I love the feeling of the Skewb's clicking mechanism, it's smooth, has a satisfying metallic click to it as opposed to the V6's grinding plastic...
I agree with this, but I feel if the V6 had a softer click, I'd like it more.
Light snapping feels nice, and I think the skewb does this very well. I feel like more puzzles like the skewb should be around, at least with the feeling of a skewb (more skewb based puzzles couldn't hurt either).

Do you think a snapping would feel better than a smooth or clicky mech?