Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: V-Cube 8 is available!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:17 am 

So I guess we may see the V-Cube 9 sometime around 2024?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:54 am 

zamkam wrote:
Do you really assume that V-Cubes deliberately postpones the next big cubes to make us angry? :wink: I don't think so, they want to make business for sure!
We can speculate only, why they cannot move forward as fast as they want. I'm certain that it has to do with the fact that they have lost a lot because others have used their invention (illegally in most Western countries).
I'm guessing that many who are complaining about V-Cubes have bought the KO puzzles and have damaged hereby the business of them.
I do not say that I understand all decisions they have made, but I have no more information than you have. (Member Konrad speaking, I have no insider information whatsoever. As a moderator, I want to add, that we - the staff of TP forum - are sometimes accused to favour V-Cubes. The truth is that we want to be fair and that we appreciate the fact that Panagiotis Verdes has broken a real barrier.)

I do not need much imagination, to see the damage done by others to their business.
Just try to switch for a second to their point of view.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:04 pm 

Has anyone gotten the white V-Cube 8? I was debating whether to get one. I have black and white V-Cube 5 and 7 and the white ones definitely turn better. Has anyone else noticed this with the V-Cubes?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:42 pm 

Konrad wrote:
Do you really assume that V-Cubes deliberately postpones the next big cubes to make us angry? :wink: I don't think so, they want to make business for sure!

I'm not assuming anything, but the fact is it took them more than 10 years to release the V-Cube 8, for no apparent reason. They spent those years releasing other V-Cubes (V-Cube 7 Flags? really???). Why did they stop at 7?

For the record, I mean no disrespect to Mr. Verdes or anyone at his company. I just don't understand them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:02 pm 

zamkam wrote:
I'm not assuming anything, but the fact is it took them more than 10 years to release the V-Cube 8, for no apparent reason. They spent those years releasing other V-Cubes (V-Cube 7 Flags? really???). Why did they stop at 7?

Well, I was at their factory when they first started their mass production in June 2008.
Using simple maths, this is less than six years. And actually, I like flag cubes. A lot.
(patent filing doesn't count as a date, you should know that it takes a lot of time to form
a serious company).

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:52 am 

zamkam wrote:
For the record, I mean no disrespect to Mr. Verdes or anyone at his company. I just don't understand them.
In this same topic just one page before your post (here) I address this issue. Well, really I just link to another thread where I addressed it in 2009.

For those wishing to comment on KO issues please take the time to read what has already been written. I can understand not having read every post in the last 4-5 years, but one should at least read the posts of the thread in which they are replying.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:28 am 

zamkam wrote:
zamkam wrote:
Konrad wrote:

Well, you are not assuming anything, but you are guessing something, right? :wink:

Maybe, if you take the time to follow Dave's links, you'll be able to "understand them". (A bit?)

I'm glad that you do not "disrespect ... Mr. Verdes or anyone at his company".
So, your original comment has expressed your respect for Verdes?
Do I get this right?
(Maybe, it is due to the fact that English is not my mother tongue, that I couldn't follow the subtleties of your statement? :wink: )

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:25 pm 

I actually bought the entire V-Cube set when they first came out. It has been a long time to wait, but I was planning on buying the rest of the series when they became available.

Although, I am a little bit scared off by the price (63.49 euros including shipping = $86.77).

Would it be better to wait for the V-Cube 8x8x8 to come out in local stores, Amazon, or wait even longer for the 9x9x9?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:30 pm 

Since there is no date announced (at least that I'm aware of) for the 9x9x9, I wouldn't wait, unless there are many other puzzles you want as a higher priority. It probably wouldn't hurt to wait until you can get one locally though.

-d

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:39 am 

LeifEricson wrote:
I actually bought the entire V-Cube set when they first came out. It has been a long time to wait, but I was planning on buying the rest of the series when they became available.

Although, I am a little bit scared off by the price (63.49 euros including shipping = $86.77).

Would it be better to wait for the V-Cube 8x8x8 to come out in local stores, Amazon, or wait even longer for the 9x9x9?

I'm with you. I wish v-cube had some better US partners.
It was tough to justify $50 (7 layer) for a plastic puzzle. Almost $90 for a plastic puzzle that has one more layer? That is a real tough pill to swallow.

I wonder how they do their pricing?
Maybe I am cynical but it seems like we are getting the bill for their patent protection.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:25 pm 

Zimmy68 wrote:
Maybe I am cynical but it seems like we are getting the bill for their patent protection.

I am just speculating here, but a big chunk of the cost - maybe even more than the cost of the plastic - is just the labor alone to put them together and sticker them.
Ever take one apart completely and have to put it together? It takes a while.

-d

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:22 pm 

darryl wrote:
Zimmy68 wrote:

I am just speculating here, but a big chunk of the cost - maybe even more than the cost of the plastic - is just the labor alone to put them together and sticker them.
Ever take one apart completely and have to put it together? It takes a while.

-d
Oh, I appreciate the quality of the product. But how much harder is it to put together then the 7 layer? $40 more? How much labor is that?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:35 pm 

I wish there were more DIY kits on the market. I only ever see them for speedcubes. I'd gladly assemble and sticker my own puzzle if it meant a lower price!

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:06 pm 

themathkid wrote:
I wish there were more DIY kits on the market. I only ever see them for speedcubes. I'd gladly assemble and sticker my own puzzle if it meant a lower price!

Problem is, nowadays DIY kits often cost the same amount of money as, or even more than factory-assembled ones. :roll:

The days of the DIY-cubes are somewhat over. :wink:

This is my WCA-profile.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:25 pm 

I would like to point out that Amazon has both the V-Cube 8 and 6b now, for $79.95 and $41.95. A slight savings. I am at least getting the 6b.