Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Unbelievable Ebay Offers???
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:59 am 

I hope eBay/PayPal takes back all the money from this guy without insisting that customers return these packages of rubbish. Post to Asia can be expensive...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:24 am 

KelvinS wrote:
I hope eBay/PayPal takes back all the money from this guy

Hmmmm, eBay & Paypal can not take the money back, if the Paypal-account is empty, and every experienced eBay-seller knows better than leaving any money on a Paypal-account.

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:07 am 

hello

ebay is such a frustrating company to email. Its easier to contact Alien life than it is to talk to ebay. After opening three cases with them they emailed me to say that they have contacted the seller who has agreed to refund me if I return the items to him, but the return address is in chinese. Are ebay that stupid that they can't see that the seller is just playing games with them? Can anyone advise mewhat to do? they want me to post the items by Jan 02!
Can anyone translate this address.

Seller's return address:
文杰胡
广东省深圳市南山区南光路103号鸿瑞花园B栋1105室
深圳市 广东省 518000
China

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:22 am 

Google translate:
Wenjie? Hu
Room No. 103, Guangdong Province, Nam Kwong Road, Nanshan District, Shenzhen, Hong Rui Garden, Building B, 1105
Shenzhen, Guangdong Province 518000
China

Check out the distance selling regulations in your country - it may be possible to make the seller pay to return your items.

Send ebay a link to this thread - let them know that people are aware that this seller is scamming lots of people and it is not an isolated case of a mistakenly sent item.

Contact your local newspapers, radio shows etc and let them know of the latest ebay scam, bad press may make ebay change their rules to avoid this happening in the future (although all press is good press :( )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:38 am 

There is no sense in sending the item back to an address that does not exist... does ebay think that someone that runs a scam such as this selling more than 2300 itens in a week will use his very own address ?

Can't you just ask the refund direct to paypal?

Sure ebay and paypal will try to gain more time to refund us,

It is very stupid to dialog with this seller after all this that happened! It is sure a lesson to us all...

:evil:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:45 am 

szykman wrote:
There is no sense in sending the item back to an address that does not exist... does ebay think that someone that runs a scam such as this selling more than 2300 itens in a week will use his very own address ?

Can't you just ask the refund direct to paypal?

Sure ebay and paypal will try to gain more time to refund us,

It is very stupid to dialog with this seller after all this that happened! It is sure a lesson to us all...

:evil:

I agree with you.
I think this address is not exist.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:56 am 

I tried to find this address on Baidu maps (Chinese google maps I guess) and there does seem to be a compound with that name. The numbers are wrong, though, and the compound is a couple of blocks from the numbered address. It's not fully made up, but I doubt this address is useful even if you were kind enough to return the "jewelry". Likely the seller would say "You sent it to me? I received nothing." I feel sorry for those who bought a huge number of puzzles, like the 4 (!) petaminxes; is there really no way ebay could authorize a refund without the possibility of being manipulated by the seller?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:09 am 

hello

thanks for all the feedback guys. Much appreciated.
Does anyone know ebays email address so I can contact them directly to inform them that this address is bogus? Maybe I should just accept that I have lost around $50 and try and be wiser next time?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:24 am 

AMatureCuber, have you filed a dispute with PayPal yet?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:50 am 

I have filed 3 claims with paypal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:59 am 

I don't want to bash here, but you were all warned beforehand that something was wrong. As the topic title says: these offers were unbelievable, too good to be true. And so they were. I find it disturbing that mature people can make these kind of mistakes, to be honest.

I just hope you've all learned something from this, and I do hope that you will all get a refund.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:04 am 

Now this one's a very interesting topic. I can see some have received different items than the ones
they actually ordered. I wonder if there is anyone who received the correct ones! (I doubt it).

Regarding the prices, from a wholesale point of view, they do not look *that* strange, so anyone could
have bought a few pieces. Judging others for this case is not fair, as it is possible to lure many
honest puzzlers.

I hope everyone gets what they want, be it puzzles or their money back. And if this ultimately proves
to be a scam, then it is the biggest one in twisty puzzle history!!!

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:18 am 

1NSAN3 wrote:
I don't want to bash here, but you were all warned beforehand that something was wrong.
I saw this thread and the prices and I didn't touch any of those auctions with a 10 foot pole. That said... I do hope those that did get their money back. But even if you do... the process of dealing with PayPal and eBay will make you feel like you lost. I'd rather spend the extra bucks and help support a trusted puzzle seller then take a risk like this any day.

Yes, I've been scammed on eBay a few times before but its been years ago and the few times it happened to me I never did get all my money back. Just what they were able to recover. I believe they've now changed things such that they'll refund cases even if they can't recover the funds but I have no desire to test that.

Good luck everyone. As for pointing eBay to this thread... I'm not sure that is a good idea. They may take the same stance as 1NSAN3. They could say you were warned... and thought you were gambling with PayPal/eBay's money.

The other way to look at this... when eBay or PayPal return your money and are NOT able to recover the funds from the scammer it costs them money. But who do you think really eats that cost? Its not eBay or PayPal. They will just raise their fees and past this cost on to the honest sellers.

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:50 am 

I bought 4 Petaminxes because some friends here in Brazil could be interested in having one at low costs. I was not planning to make the triple-fused Petaminx, even because I don't like fused bigger puzzles (not devaluing Tony's creation).

Some months ago, I received broken products from a famous chinese puzzle store. I opened a dispute on Paypal and I only would get the money back if I sent back the broken puzzles. But shipping costs for sending back anything from Brazil to China are around $25, more expensive than the broken puzzles' value. So I loose money and Paypal couldn't do anything against the seller.

I hope Paypal could refund all of us, but I think the seller is explorating exactly this Paypal problem. People won't send back the products paying more than its value. So it's because the seller is around yet, answering messages.

I received another message from him today. That's exactly the same message sent before. Maybe he got an automatic answering method.

People who hasn't opened a claim on Paypal yet, I recommend to open as soon as possible, even if not received yet. So eBay and Paypal will have sufficient claims to consider this a real scam.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:57 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
I wondered when it would arrive!
My Teraminx and 9x9 cube arrived today in an ENVELOPE! :shock:
Inside the envelope was a very unattractive black bead bracelet!

A quick call to ebay has set up my dispute and the seller has 8 days to reply - I am assured that I will get my money back and have just got to wait for the process to be reviewed!

Attachments:
Beads.JPG
Beads.JPG [ 162.86 KiB | Viewed 2979 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:17 pm 

hello

1NSAN3, I have already accepted my share of the blame and have already 'written off' this money. But the scammer must also take his share of the blame.

Kevin, you will receive an email from ebay quite soon saying that the seller will give you a refund if you send back the item. please inform me via this thread or pm me about what action you take about sending back item or how to inform ebay that the seller will only say that he did not receive item (bogus address) and so cannot give full refund.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:37 pm 

As some know, I bit on 3 other unbelievable offers from a different seller. So far, the seller has taken down one of his auctions.
I am excited to report my findings :)
--Letti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:45 pm 

The scam just goes deeper - what happens if the returned parcels go "missing" or are never received by the seller but mysteriously are never returned to the sender either. Will ebay/paypal still cover us if the burden of proof is on us to show that the items were returned? Or will responsibility be pushed onto the postal services of your country to cover the amount for the lost package?

I guess the seller is really lucky he included a worthless trinket in the envelopes for us to return because otherwise....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:55 pm 

I dont think 'lucky ' is the right word for this seller, he is extremely 'sly'.
And he knows everything about the eBay & Paypal-rules.
If you return a wrong item to a seller, you have to send it with a tracked shipping method to have proof of the return, which will probably cost you more than the item is worth.
Maybe I am lucky to have a not working tracking code & a tracking code that tracks to a complete different place.....I think when I just dont recieve a pack (with puzzles or cheap jewelry), chances to get a refund are higher.

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:54 pm 

@Zzupler et al: You will need to send back a parcel by registered post (with tracking) to prove you sent it (and he received it), which will be very expensive from outside Asia. Clearly he is expecting that you won't even bother...

If it was me, I would send him a dog turd by registered post, and keep his crappy jewel! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:12 pm 

Unfortunately sending it back with tracking will not prove that he has received it - unless he signs for it, but why would he? He doesn't want this tat back.

Does anyone know what happens if you refuse delivery from the postman/mailman? Does it show as undelivered after a few days/ be returned to sender at no cost to the buyer? Will paypal refund you then?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:31 pm 

What if you have just received an empty envelope? there is then nothing to send back, and the seller has no way of proving there was anything in the envelope when he posted it, can ebay ask you to return nothing to the seller? when you go to the resolution center can open a case for item not-as-described and tell them you received an empty envelope? I've not received my bracelets yet but if I do it will cost more to post them back than I've spent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:33 pm 

If PayPal and/or eBay won't refund you then file a dispute with your credit card.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:38 pm 

Zzupler wrote:
Unfortunately sending it back with tracking will not prove that he has received it - unless he signs for it, but why would he? He doesn't want this tat back.

Does anyone know what happens if you refuse delivery from the postman/mailman? Does it show as undelivered after a few days/ be returned to sender at no cost to the buyer? Will paypal refund you then?

Depends where you live in the UK uncollected mail is returned after a couple of weeks, but if ebay look at the tracking information it will show you haven't bothered to collect it from the post office which is the first place they will tell you to check if an item hasn't been recieved

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:43 pm 

Volitar Prime wrote:
If PayPal and/or eBay won't refund you then file a dispute with your credit card.

To file a dispute with your credit card there is a minimum amount you have to spend in one go for them to do anything, so if you bought several puzzles in one transaction then that could be an option

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:19 pm 

Reading up on some ebay policies - DO NOT REFUSE DELIVERY as this voids your buyer protection.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:00 am 

How are you guys contacting Mofang2013 now that he no longer exists on ebay?

4x4: 1:39.55
5x5: 2:00.19 (new)
6x6: 5:09.79
7x7: 6:36.xx
3x3 BLD: 7:38.18 (at Nationals)
XBOX Live: L00K A DUCK 0s are zeros

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:20 am 

Apparently when you file a proble with eBay, he gets contacted by them. It is then up to him to respond - if he doesn't for any reason then you are automatically refunded by eBay.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:49 am 

AMatureCuber wrote:
hello

1NSAN3, I have already accepted my share of the blame and have already 'written off' this money. But the scammer must also take his share of the blame.

Kevin, you will receive an email from ebay quite soon saying that the seller will give you a refund if you send back the item. please inform me via this thread or pm me about what action you take about sending back item or how to inform ebay that the seller will only say that he did not receive item (bogus address) and so cannot give full refund.

Of course, the scammer is the real criminal here, and I do feel kind of sorry for all of you who got scammed, however, I think even EBay warns about these things in their policy: If something looks too good to be true, it probably is.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:50 am 

I'm obviously disappointed to know that I won't be getting the 5 puzzles I ordered. On the bright side, once I get my refund through Paypal, I will have $110 to spend on puzzles, guilt-free!

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:46 pm 

Like themathkid said, I'll have $80 to spend on puzzles, guilt-free.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:34 pm 

I hope we all get our moneyback.
Has anybody actually sent back the item as ebay has asked?
what happens if we don't send it back. will ebay not refund us.
we all know that this seller is just going to claim that he didn't receive the item and therefore will not refund? Its too expensive to send a registered post from uk to china? its not worth our while.
what is everyone else doing?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:40 pm 

I, like others, was intrigued by these offers but the relative values were way too cheap to be credible (hence my warning).
Cheap is attractive, but 1/10th the price with no reasonable explanation doesn't make any sense: If he couldn't sell them at all lowering the price is an option, but I don't think he would have any trouble selling them *very* fast at 1/2 price. 1/10th was necessary to get people to the "I know it is probably a scam, but at that price what do I have to loose?" decision.

I, like others, also considered this. It was reading the bottom of the offer and the terms of returning the item that put me off. That screamed out that they would make the process difficult, with the hope that it would frustrate most people into cutting their losses (key to the 1/10th pricing). I knew I wouldn't have the time to bother with such a process, but also an unbelievable offer where I have to pay for any "mistake" doesn't sound good. I was pretty surprised how tempted I was despite walking through all of these possibilities.

I am pretty confident the seller knows the rules, and knows eBay will follow them, at least for long enough for them to make a profit: eBay has to, as otherwise any legitimate mistake by any reasonable seller would leave them vulnerable and confidence in eBay itself would go down. The seller is going to claim they mistakenly sent the wrong item, and if you would only uphold your agreement to return it they will honor their refund. Which is all very reasonable eBusiness. The fact that you may have to lose money pursuing your refund is planned, but was all up front before you agreed to the deal so from eBay's perspective it may be hard to get them to cut corners even if they know you were misled.

I assume it is a bit like people who buy pictures of objects because they didn't read the description well enough. eBay may boot the seller but they have to be careful about interfering in what is basically a misleading but non-fraudulent transaction.

I'm sorry so many people were stung by this, and am sure this thread will be linked to in the future when similar situations present themselves.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:46 pm 

AMatureCuber wrote:

Yes you were right! The seller asked for the item to be returned on one of the items (there was supposed to be 2 in the same package!) the address to return to is in Chinese pictograms and I don't think the British post office can read that!!!

The cost to return by signed for mail is £8.80 which converts to $15 - a similar amount to the original cost. I also have been given until 3rd Jan to post it! New Year's Day or not I will be phoning eBay tomorrow! I reckon eBay are not going to be helpful here! :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:56 am 

Kevin,
Experience from when I was living in the states. Mark the package return to sender and write CHINA under the address.
Let us know how you make out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:02 am 

So here is what has happened with my orders. I filed a dispute with PayPal that was then escalated to a claim which was reviewed by PayPal. They contacted the seller and I heard back and was given a return address to ship back the packages to receive a refund. The return address I was given was obviously not real and a quick plug into google maps confirmed this. Left with no option, I called PayPal today and the woman on the phone realized the issue being a scam and refunded my money. She also stated they would look into the seller's account. If others wish to get their money back I recommend following what I did. All the money was returned into my PayPal account within a few minutes of talking to a representative.

Regards,
Zem

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/ZemPuzzles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:29 am 

I do not want to take the responsability out from the buyers who insisted on this, even knowing that 1/10th of the price is very suspicious... but it is so stupied that Ebay and Paypal will open this claims and contact a Bad Seller such as this and ask him to cleam his mess...

Sure ebay and paypal have realised that most part of his recent feedback is fake, also Ebay and Paypal are not so dumb to ask him about more than 2000 complains... The money he probably asked a withdraw to a bank account at china...

He have sold more than 2200 Android Tvs, more than 100 petaminx, and they will ask him one by one to refund money, and this scammer mofang2013 will ask one by one more than 2000 people to return the fashion jewelry that was "sent by mistake"

Ebay and Paypal are protecting thieves like mofang2013, and this kind of "money making scheme" will become very popular if they not admit was a fraud...

They have canceled this seller, so he will not receive 2200 or more bad feedback, and still contacting mofang2013 and asking him to refund people after receiving the return of this fake items???

At first place Ebay had finished all his auctions and place a warning asking us clearly, if you did not paied for this item you do not need to pay... If you have paied you can click on the RESOLVE A PROBLEM link. And now they contact this fellow and ask us to return the fashion jewelry?? We should send all fashion jewelry to ebay's address!

Shame on Paypal and Ebay at the first place, shame on we that believe on the "Ebay's protection"

I understand ebay's position, but that really makes me mad :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:59 am 

thanks for update Kevin.

Many thanks to Zem for his action and advice. I think we should all phone paypal and get our money back. The more people phone, the more paypal will realise the scam and then paypal will refund others staright away. Thanks again Zem. I will definitely be phoning paypal on 2nd January.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:11 am 

I contact by phone to paypal and..... tell me: "please wait the items arrive"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:32 am 

hello

just phoned paypal. got refund. thanks again zem.
One piece of advice, log a case with paypal and NOT ebay.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:35 am 

Prior to the super low buy it now prices, I won a couple of items from this seller, but have yet to receive anything. However, I still contacted Nathan in Paypal security to express my concerns. He said he was immediately going to investigate this seller and if necessary turn it over to his fraud team. He did advise me to wait until I receive something before filing a claim. However, I encourage everyone affected to contact the fraud department and Nathan specifically. The more he hears about it the more real it becomes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:06 am 

It look like contacting to ebay is useless.
Right now, I contact to PayPal, his name is Aqilah.
He has known about this.
And he is very nice and kindness.
But I don't know that will I have got my money back?
For me, this seller cheats me about 200USD.

:( :( :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:28 am 

hello

FINAL update.

Phoned ebay.com. They told me that because ebay has closed the sellers account there is no need to return items. They have closed my cases and have issued me a full refund. My advice is, wait until you receive items then open a case with PayPal. Explain situation. Tell them bogus address and that the cost of returning item is more than its value.
I got ALL my money back in full. Good Luck to all of you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:40 am 

No I'm just waiting for my two 'petaminxes', my 'Eitan's Star', and my 'KO9 (I'll let you figure out what that means)' to come so I can get my money back.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:54 am 

My problem is, I opened a case on EBay, but I haven't received any things. What should I do? Should I wait for the parcel, then answer EBay case? As far as I know, I cannot open a case in PayPal, if have opened on Ebay.
Could you send me Nathan's mail address?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:44 pm 

csete wrote:
My problem is, I opened a case on EBay, but I haven't received any things. What should I do? Should I wait for the parcel, then answer EBay case? As far as I know, I cannot open a case in PayPal, if have opened on Ebay.
Could you send me Nathan's mail address?

I phoned Paypal and they referred me to their fraud department where I spoke with Nathan. I'm not sure if you can have a complaint filed with both. Contact Paypal and ask. I am waiting for my parcels before opening a claim with Paypal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:30 am 

Today, I have contacted to Ebay in my country (Thailand) for my case.
He said to me that I must return this goods to the seller.

:twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:05 am 

Tep wrote:
He said to me that I must return this goods to the seller.

:twisted:

Good luck returning it as the return address I was given was not valid.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:08 pm 

Zem wrote:
Tep wrote:
He said to me that I must return this goods to the seller. :twisted:

What is the return address which you were given so that I can compare it if I receive my package?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:48 pm 

Gus wrote:
Zem wrote:
Tep wrote:
He said to me that I must return this goods to the seller. :twisted:

What is the return address which you were given so that I can compare it if I receive my package?

It wasn't what was on the package, it was the one given by the seller to me through paypal. This is what it was:

Quote:
beijingshi
beijingshi
Beijing Municipality, 100052
China

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next