Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to build a Ghost Cube 2x2 or 3x3
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:16 pm 

Hi,

it seems like there is no place to buy a Ghost Cube, so the only way to get one is apparently to build it. I have googled "how to build a ghost cube" and found a few videos, but they do not help a lot, they just show how possible it is, starting from a regular 2x2 or 3x3.
I definitely need help : does someone have instructions (with schemas) that would help in converting a 2x2 / 3x3 into a Ghost Cube ?

PS: excuse my clumsy English, I a not a native English speaker.

Post subject: Re: How to build a Ghost Cube 2x2 or 3x3
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:08 pm 

I believe you can buy one from Hungab, if I am correct. If not, it is some other forum member, but either way, you just send them a PM telling them what you want, and then they will send you a price, and you pay them that price through PayPal or something. Also, congrats on your first post!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:26 am 

Welcome to the forum, Duffman! :)

I have got a 3x3x3 Ghost Cube from Hungab (and earlier one of the first two ever printed before by Adam Cowan) and wrote about it here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:41 am 

Puzzlemaster42 (Adam Cowan) "owns" the rights to the 3x3x3 Ghost Cube on these forums, and he has stated that he wants to try and stop people making and selling copies of this puzzle, so I would start by asking him.

I think that everyone would like to see this puzzle mass produced, but as all of the pieces are different it would take at least 26 different moulds to make the pieces, and that is a very large capital outlay for a shapemod to a 3x3x3. I think that this would make the puzzle quite expensive for what is just a 3x3x3.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:12 am 

I've been trying for a while to find information on how to build one of these. Can anybody point to a tutorial?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:02 am 

Well I designed mine in Sketchup and it was a real PITA! I have never seen a tutorial on how to do a handmade one, probably because it is (a) difficult (and the builders want to keep the method secret) and (b) the puzzle commands quite a high price (see (a)).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:44 am 

Gus wrote:
I think that everyone would like to see this puzzle mass produced, but as all of the pieces are different it would take at least 26 different moulds to make the pieces, and that is a very large capital outlay for a shapemod to a 3x3x3. I think that this would make the puzzle quite expensive for what is just a 3x3x3.

Then why aren't bump cubes reasonably expensive? They require at least 26 molds as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:50 am 

benpuzzles wrote:
Gus wrote:
Then why aren't bump cubes reasonably expensive? They require at least 26 molds as well.
Good point Ben. Maybe the complex shapes of the Ghost Cube pieces would require multiple moulds per piece which are clipped together?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:39 am 

Gus wrote:
Puzzlemaster42 (Adam Cowan) "owns" the rights to the 3x3x3 Ghost Cube on these forums, and he has stated that he wants to try and stop people making and selling copies of this puzzle, so I would start by asking him.

Has he? When I asked him about selling my mini ghost cube he had no problem with it. But I agree; best to ask the inventor when selling copies.

Anyway, the Ghost Cube is actually a fairly straightforward mod, in a way. All you have to do is vaguely align two opposing centers to two of the "new" cube's opposing vertices. The layers are twisted out of alignment in the solved state, so you have to misalign them when you cut. Extensions can easily be made from recycled cubies. You can look at pictures of the finished cube if you want to get the pieces just right.

You can check out the building thread of my Mini Ghost Cube I did a while back. You may find the pictures helpful: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23807

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:52 pm 

Thanks to everyone for those pieces of information.
This is pretty interesting. In fact, the Ghost Cube looks even funnier and more "mysterious" (well... OK, I like shape shifting puzzle (like the Axel Cube or the (much more difficule) Hexaminx :D ).

PS: hey... This is already my second post here :) .This is actually a nice place with nice people. I'll be back.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:39 pm 

Gus wrote:
benpuzzles wrote:
Gus wrote:
Good point Ben. Maybe the complex shapes of the Ghost Cube pieces would require multiple moulds per piece which are clipped together?

By my count, it would take 48 different parts including the core. The "Edge" and "Corner" pieces would need a cap to seal off one face where the mold shape makes it hollow. The only one with duplicates would be the center which is hidden. Not only would it be a lot of parts, but it would take a lot of time to design all of those different parts. Not that I know of course... 8-)

Not sure why the Bump cube is "cheap" other than production volume is a key factor. As long as the parts are designed to be made from a straight pull mold, tooling costs are not too significant of a factor (per mold body required).

My stance on hand built copies/sales, etc has changed a couple of times since I designed the first Ghost Cube. For a while, not much was happening, so I was ok with hand built puzzles being sold. Now, lots more is happening, so I am fine with someone building one for themselves, but not for sale. Although you are always free to ask...

Right now I am working on a Limited Edition version for the serious collector. There may be "hints" of this "secret idea" somewhere...

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

Post subject: Re: Как построить Духа Куба 2x2 или 3x3
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:59 am 

Puzzlemaster42 wrote:
Прямо сейчас я работаю над Limited Edition версия для серьезного коллекционера. Там может быть "намеки" этот "секрет идея" где-то...

Расскажите подробнее о Limited Edition и советы и секреты

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:17 pm 

You are supposed to post in English on this forum. Just trying to help. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:28 am 

BelcherBoy2000 wrote:
You are supposed to post in English on this forum. Just trying to help. :)
There are times when context can make writing in other languages proper in a post, but they are few. In general contributing in a way your audience can appreciate requires English.
If you do post in another language please try to at least provide a translation via Google Translate or other service, or perhaps one of our many multi-lingual members.

Thanks!

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:06 am 

Tell us more about Limited Edition and tips and secrets

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:59 pm 

Hungab just posted a topic about selling the puzzle here.
60 USD.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:56 pm 

Fireman wrote:
Tell us more about Limited Edition and tips and secrets

:wink:

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:44 am 

Gus wrote:

Just a follow up question, what if I will trade a puzzle which was designed by others, no money involved, should I ask the designer also?

FB Account
Puzzle Lust
Youtube Account

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:11 am 

HeX wrote:
Gus wrote:

Just a follow up question, what if I will trade a puzzle which was designed by others, no money involved, should I ask the designer also?
Yes, any exchange of someone else's design for compensation (money or trade) falls under the realm of a "selling" unless the designer has made a special allowance for it.

Dave :)