Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trying to spread the word!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:22 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Hi Guys,

I have not been part of the TP world for very long (if you discount starting in 1979 with an original pentangle Rubik's cube). My passion for mechanical puzzles has forced me to write a blog. So twice a week for over a year now I have posted reviews and tales of puzzling. My blog is just a bit of fun and I try to be rather humorous and self-deprecating but also aim to inform people about the various types of puzzles available.

Recently one of your members (she knows who she is!!) enticed me to venture back to twisty puzzles and I am totally hooked. So hooked that I have gone from 5 cubes to 37 in just 3 months!! I don't collect to just own, I want to play and learn techniques to apply to many other puzzles. I have begun posting my twisty reviews on my blog in the hope that I might just entice some of the other puzzlers into this marvellous realm. So I thought I would let you guys know about my recent batch of twisty posts.

How it all began:
http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2012/02/twisty-puzzle-madness-its-tommys-fault.html

I couldn't wait for a bigger review - I just HAD to tell everyone about TomZs Curvy copter: (Calvin has sold quite a few of these as a result of my posts and showing them at work!)
http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2012/02/twisty-puzzle-madness-i-tomzs-curvy.html

Cubes that aren't just cubes:
http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2012/03/when-is-cube-not-cube.html

More "non"-cubes:
http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2012/04/when-is-cube-not-cube-revisited.html

I hope these posts meet with everyone's approval (it doesn't really matter if you don't :lol: )

If anyone has any criticisms, suggestions or even free puzzles for me to write about :twisted: then I would be delighted to hear from you all - either via this post or via my contact me page on the blog or even via pm here.

Post subject: Re: Trying to spread the word!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 am 

I looked at your when a cube is not a cube revisited blog and have to say there are some damn interesting Puzzles out there :evil:

3x3:27.34
4x4: 2:21
Rubiks Clock: 23sec
Floppy Cube: 4.5sec
2x2: 8.64sec (single)
2x2: 11.78(Average of 5)
Magic-0.91 (Single)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:35 am 

I have to say Kevin I enjoy reading your blog. Yours and a few others out there keep me in reading material, but they also keep me buying more :twisted: :lol:

I've been so bogged down with work when I get home at the end of the day, all i want to do is mind numbing nothing. Which usually means playuing some stupid clicky type game on facebook until I have either exhausted the energy I've built up or simply reading. But not really reading anything puzzle related. I usually have these killer headaches and internet reading is out of the question.

Offline pages on my iPad makes reading all these blogs fun. So thank you again for posting your bits. I for one love them!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:14 pm 

Hi Guys,

I'm still at it! I blog once or twice a week about all sorts of puzzles and am hoping to entice some general puzzlers to the twisty world! I have been really enjoying myself.

I have just posted a review of the Gear cube series:
http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2012/05/lets-take-it-up-gear.html

Enjoy :D
If anyone has any suggestions, comments or criticisms then do let me know either here or via my Contact page

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:10 am 

I'm still at it!! :D :D

Trying to entice the non twisty puzzlers to partake in the madness! I have just posted a review of the Fisher cube for all to see. I pushed it as a simple 3x3 with some very interesting options - including the "Parity of false equivocation" :shock:

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2012/06/parity-of-false-equivocation.html

Hope you all enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:55 pm 

Hi Y'all!

I'm at it again - trying to convince the general puzzling world to join us in our appreciation of twisty puzzles!

This time I have asked the crucial question any adult twisty puzzler has to ask:
"Have I gone Crazy?" :lol: :lol:

No! I'm not questioning whether I have lost my marbles! I already know that they went many years ago.
This time I'm reviewing the wonderful Crazy cubes that many of us have grown to love!
Of course the love comes only after a period of terrible distress!! Is it a strange version of Stockholm syndrome? :shock:

Please enjoy - any comments or criticisms will be gratefully received.

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2012/07/maybe-im-craaaazy.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:05 pm 

My goodness - it appears to have been 3 months since I spread the word again to the general puzzling community about the wonders of twisties!

I'll try to do better in the future! :D

In my just published blog post, I describe the delights of the Dayan Gem puzzles! This was a series that I absolutely loved - for their fearsome appearance, fantastic range of techniques and the fact that they can mostly be solved intuitively!
The post can be found here:
http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2012/11/its-little-gem.html

You will be able to read about how I've been corrupted by no less august personages than Rline, Burgo and let's not forget Rox who I blame for everything!!! :lol: :lol:

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:28 am 

Another blog post published. It's my aim to ensure that more people learn the delights of twisty puzzles. :D :D

This post is an enhanced version of what I give to the beginners who email me asking for advice on where to start or what puzzles to buy. I now get quite a number of these emails! Who'd have thought I would end up giving twisty advice? :shock:

They can start with the cube and then go way beyond to really enjoy a very interesting genre of puzzles which don't need to be expensive.

Of course I do send them to this forum!

Blog post is at:
http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2012/11/twisty-puzzle-madness-advice-to-beginner.html

My collection as of this moment!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:13 pm 

Puzzlemad wrote:
which don't need to be expensive.

Yes, until you realize you really want to buy every one that comes out forever...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:26 pm 

Jared wrote:
Puzzlemad wrote:
which don't need to be expensive.

Yes, until you realize you really want to buy every one that comes out forever...

Ho ho ho! Welcome to my world!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least most of the denizens of this forum don't also have my very VERY expensive habit of other puzzles. Wooden, glass and metal ones made by craftsmen don't come cheap and then of course you lot have seduced me into the handmade puzzles too! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:48 am 

Hi Kevin,

Your small collection is growing! Still, there's no real need to stack many on top of each other yet, only a few little ones up the back :lol: . You've solved a lot of puzzles now, getting to be a bit of an expert for a beginner :) .

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:10 am 

Burgo wrote:
Your small collection is growing! Still, there's no real need to stack many on top of each other yet, only a few little ones up the back :lol: . You've solved a lot of puzzles now, getting to be a bit of an expert for a beginner :) .

Cheers,
Burgo.

Thanks Burgo! I am working on enlarging my collection - I have a few more coming. Still got plenty of space so no need yet to pile them up yet!

Compared to you (and a few of our fellow forum members) I'm still a rank amateur - but I'm working on it! :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:25 am 

Puzzlemad wrote:
Still got plenty of space so no need yet to pile them up yet!

I am piling them up, 952 puzzles and still buying. :roll:
Not only twisty puzzles (I am not very good solving those), but wood & metal puzzles, sliders, dexterity, put-together, take-apart, everything.... :wink:
It's getting hard to remember what I have, I dont want to buy to much doubles....

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:15 am 

mixer wrote:
I am piling them up, 952 puzzles and still buying. :roll:
Not only twisty puzzles (I am not very good solving those), but wood & metal puzzles, sliders, dexterity, put-together, take-apart, everything.... :wink:
It's getting hard to remember what I have, I dont want to buy to much doubles....

Wow!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
That is one hell of a collection! Much much bigger than mine! How about some photos of your collection?

If you have a copy of FileMaker Pro then I can give you a copy of my database file which I am using to keep track of my puzzle collection (I'm up to 485 now! :oops: ). Just let me know if you would like a copy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:43 am 

Well, I've been collecting since more than 30 years, so 952 is not a lot, about 30 puzzles a year. I would like to photograph the whole collection, but that is very difficult at the moment, most of the puzzles are in boxes. Maybe I should take them all out and sort them by type, and then make photos of groups of puzzles. But I need a lot of space to get them all out and sort them, it's not easy. I just have a list now, and each puzzle has a number.
I dont have a FileMaker Pro, I have a Mac, but having photos of all my puzzles would already be good, just to check what I have in my collection, and what I dont have. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:51 am 

mixer wrote:
Well, I've been collecting since more than 30 years, so 952 is not a lot

:shock: :shock:
I hate to tell you this but YES IT IS!! :D
mixer wrote:
I would like to photograph the whole collection, but that is very difficult at the moment, most of the puzzles are in boxes. Maybe I should take them all out and sort them by type, and then make photos of groups of puzzles. But I need a lot of space to get them all out and sort them, it's not easy. I just have a list now, and each puzzle has a number.

I started photographing them very early on and only recently started a database to keep track (especially when I'd started to lend a few out! The photo record is really important for you to keep track of and they do make a nice record!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:16 am 

That is a brilliant blog post Kevin!

I too have completely ignored James' advice, and started collecting a bit of everything. I'm pretty sure I have something from most puzzle categories.

I'm not amazing at twisty puzzles, but even if I can't solve a puzzle I can still appreciate it for the incredible aesthetics, mechanical ingenuity and complexity that makes it up. And for me that's enough to justify having it in my collection! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:26 am 

Isn't this funny. I started out collecting twisties, got a few metal disentanglements along the way just because that's the nature of where I live. Because of the weather, I resisted all puzzles made of wood. But after a trip to puzzle mountain, I was hooked. Now I have a shelf full not nearly as nice as your last lot, but none too shabby either...

the one direction I refuse to go is glass...oh wait, I have the toyo set....I guess I should say impossible bottles...there.....that's it.....A girl has to draw the line somewhere doesn't she?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:15 am 

I use Excel to keep track of my 400+ collection. I take a photo of every new puzzle, scale it to about 400x400 pixels and paste it into a cell. If the picture lies entirely within the borders of the cell, it moves with the cell when you do a sort.

Each row has the columns Box, Name, Picture, Type, Shape, Sides, Complexity, Positions, Comments, Condition, SORT, Purchased, Price and Custom. It is easy to sort on any column or up to a set of three columns simultaneously, see how much i have spent this year, what puzzles are in which box etc. I use the SORT column as a custom sort if I need to sort on more that three columns at the same time.

Unfortunately, you can't use AutoFilter as this completely makes a mess of all the pictures, and you can't use undo after its messed up :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 am 

Gus wrote:
It is easy to sort on any column or up to a set of three columns simultaneously, see how much i have spent this year, what puzzles are in which box etc.

Good lord! Why on earth would you want a box that shows how much you've spent on puzzles in a year?! Are you mad?! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:13 am 

Actually I get the total and then divide by 5, and this is the amount I show my wife :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:27 am 

Hybrid424 wrote:
Good lord! Why on earth would you want a box that shows how much you've spent on puzzles in a year?! Are you mad?! :shock:

I agree with Oli! I say on my blog quite regularly that I'm not terribly bright! :oops:
When I designed the current database and scripts for it I added a view which gave me a list by date and totals. It also gave a grand total! :shock: :shock: :shock: and one more :shock:
I have only been collecting for 2.5 years and OMG I've spent a fortune - so much in fact that I'm rather embarrassed by it! :oops:

But I agree with Oli's sig I still need to get one more! Having just ordered the Classical Tuttminx on the special deal that was the one more! Strange how after buying it I still need another one! :lol:

Gus wrote:
Actually I get the total and then divide by 5, and this is the amount I show my wife :lol:

:D
That's more like it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:09 pm 

I have 36 twisty puzzles (not counting the broken ones), with one more on the way. I get them for solving purposes, though I can solve only ten of them. I need to start doing what Konrad does: "I'll buy new puzzles only if I have solved everything I own so far." A New Year's Resolution maybe?

Kevin-
Shape modifications are mentioned in your blog post. Would you recommend those for the solving experience? I have considered getting some of them. However, I don't see how most of them are much different than their base puzzle (excluding any supercube properties).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:21 pm 

Well I made a start sorting my puzzles, They are all mixed up, I opened some boxes and took these categories out : twisty puzzles, mazes, sliding puzzles, keychain puzzles, folding puzzles, kumiki & cast puzzles. Now I put them in boxes by category, that's much better. When I have gone through all my boxes, cupboards & drawers, I'll start making photo's. The biggest bunch seems to be the twisty puzzles, also a lot of mazes, and I've seen many many wooden puzzles, but have not sorted those yet...

And yes I have to admit, after opening just some of my boxes, 952 is a lot of puzzles. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:54 pm 

Zeotor wrote:
I have 36 twisty puzzles (not counting the broken ones), with one more on the way. I get them for solving purposes, though I can solve only ten of them. I need to start doing what Konrad does: "I'll buy new puzzles only if I have solved everything I own so far." A New Year's Resolution maybe?

Kevin-
Shape modifications are mentioned in your blog post. Would you recommend those for the solving experience? I have considered getting some of them. However, I don't see how most of them are much different than their base puzzle (excluding any supercube properties).

Hmm i should try that resolution...another one i won't stick to!

While I'm not Kevin, I for one would definitely recommend shape mods. While you do solve them the same as a regular 3x3, you would be surprised how much you have to think about some of them to complete them, and some of them introduce potential parity problems. I particularly recommend the axis cube, the case cube and the mask cube, they are all very different, and you will hardly believe you are solving a regular 3x3 when doing them to begin with :)

I think these cheap little shape mods are fantastic value for money

Latest videos: Unboxing / Review of Curvy copter Plus, David Gear Cube, Octo-star Cube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:16 pm 

Zeotor wrote:

Kevin-

I also tend to buy the twisties in batches. I tend to buy them from Calvin so I order a few at a time. I then won't buy anymore until I've solved most of them. When I order the next batch I'll be down to just a couple unsolved!

Do shape mods add anything to the solve? In a way yes and no! I solve the mods using the beginners technique (no F2L or anything like that) so it is just a cube! Some like ghost cube or mastermorphinx behave like supercubes (I have 3x3, 4x4 and 5x5 supercubes too). But whilst they use an identical technique they do play with your perception. It took me ages to get my head around the mastermorphinx! If you are really good at twisties then don't buy a shape mod it won't teach you anything but if you are starting out then get a few for practice at seeing through the shape shifting and disorientation. If I were just starting. I'd go for a mastermorphinx, an axis cube (or blade cube) and a ghost cube. There's less choice in mass produced 4x4 versions. They do look spectacular and really convince your friends that you're a genius!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:21 pm 

martywolfman wrote:
I think these cheap little shape mods are fantastic value for money

I wholeheartedly agree! As I said a moment ago - there's nothing really new but the perspective change does make a big difference! Buy a few - you won't regret it!

Also thanks for reminding me that I still have a few to acquire! :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:08 am 

Not really about Twisty puzzles but seeing as this thread is primarily about my blog I thought here would be a good place to post it.

A quick blog post has gone up - this is my Cristmas wishes and thanks. It's sort of a response to Rox's wishes post from last week:

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2012/12/christmas-wishes-and-thanks.html

Have a really great and puzzling Xmas. Look after yourselves and your loved ones, here's to a great puzzling year in 2013!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:58 am 

Yet again not entirely about twisties but they are included!

Happy new year to all my Twisty Puzzle friends!

I hope everyone has a happy and healthy 2013!

To celebrate the New year I have posted my customary "State of the collection" blog post complete with review of my puzzle highlights from last year.

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2013/01/happy-new-year-2012-puzzling-review.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:56 am 

First review of 2013 and it's a twisty puzzle. I'm still trying to entice other puzzlers into twisties! :D

Reviewing a couple of cubes without angles. This time it's the Golden egg and a couple of Morpheggs - not just shape shifters but also supercubes. All puzzles I enjoyed immensely. Whilst the morpheggs just took a bit of time to get used to the shape shifting and solving without colour, the Golden egg really hurt my brain! The combination of Skewb solve with no colours and supercube issues definitely made me struggle! All very worthwhile additions to any collection.

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2013/01/a-cube-with-no-angles.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:33 pm 

Yet again I attempt to suck the rest of the puzzle world into the depths of my madness! :shock: :shock:

I have posted a not so short summary detailing the family tree of the cuboid twisties. Much of this began with a video by SuperAntonioVivaldi and has been written with his very gracious permission because I think that the rest of the world needs to know about these wonderful puzzles!

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2013/01/first-there-was-cube-and-then.html

If you have any comments or suggestions please let me know and if you want to obtain some of the floppy cuboids then please contact Hunter by pm! They are wonderful puzzles.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:08 pm 

A new blog post up on my site:

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2013/03/its-good-to-have-puzzle-friend-or-is-it.html

This time I tell about how wonderful the puzzling community is how helpful they all are including TP's own Hunter Palshook and Dr Who (aka SuperAntonioVivaldi) - stories of woe and appreciation as well as a little sting in the tail!

For all you twisty freaks there's even a gratuitous picture or 2 of some rather lovely twisties!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:15 am 

Whilst not strictly about Twisty puzzles alone (and if Gabriel gets away with it then so should I :lol: )

I have just posted my birthday blog post.
No! Not my birthday!!
My blog is 2 years old today - 175 posts and 138,500 page views in that time. A huge amount of work, a huge amount of money and a really HUGE amount of fun. Thank you everyone for reading and here I review my top 5-ish puzzles in my collection which includes a nice group of twisty puzzles.

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2013/03/happy-birthday-puzzlemad-2-years-old.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:19 pm 

This time it's another twisty puzzle review and here I ask for your help!

I have posted a big discussion of a puzzle of which, so far, there is only one. Hopefully with my (and your) help, it can be mass produced. It's a discussion about the smallest of the "Ultimate shapeshifting cuboids", the 2x4x6 made by Hunter Palshook. I discuss some history, a scramble and my approach to the solution.
http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2013/03/an-ultimate-puzzle-maybe-it-will-be.html

This needs to be mass produced - we all need to write to Calvin to request that he makes it happen for the community. Don't let me have sacrificed my puzzle in vain!!! :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:50 pm 

It has been a rather long time since I posted a review of a twisty puzzle on my blog. So I thought I should remedy that by discussing what is my ultimate triumph! I have posted about my fight with Eitan's Master Curvy Copter!
http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2013/11/im-puzzler-on-edge.html

It also discusses edge turning puzzles in general, jumbling and I give away the secret of how to solve twisty puzzles to the world!! :shock:
I talk about commutators - but let's face it, I'm such a newbie at them that I'm unlikely to have given away too much! :lol: :lol:

I end by saying that I enjoyed the process so much that I would really love another Shapeways complex twisty and suggest a few that look fun. BUT I'm a bit wary of all the mistakes that Shapeways seem to make with almost every order and I'm not allowed to dye puzzles in our new kitchen! So a ready made version might be preferable.

I'd appreciate any suggestions from anyone!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:32 pm 

Quote:
I have posted about my fight with Eitan's Master Curvy Copter!

And I seem to recall that I just about threw Eitan's Star at my wall. I wonder what the common denominator is? :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:57 pm 

Puzzlemad's Blog wrote:
What is a commutator? It is a method by which you do a short sequence of moves, then another 1 or 2 moves elsewhere on the puzzle before undoing the original moves.

You also need to undo those "1 or 2 moves" otherwise what you've describe is a conjugate.

Also, the "or 2 moves" part of "1 or 2 moves" isn't completely correct. You never need to use 2 moves. The Y portion of the commutator needs to be 1 more or a conjugate (the shortest is 3 moves) or a commutator (the shortest is 4 moves) or some nesting of commutators and conjugates. 2 moves is pretty much the only number of moves it can't be.

I have a general sketch for a proof as to why 2 moves is never needed. I'd like to formalize it but my math skills are a bit rusty and I don't know enough group theory.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:34 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
2 moves is pretty much the only number of moves it can't be.

Hi Brandon,

Are you saying that:
[Rubiks Cube] (RU'R'U) D2 (U'RUR') D2 isn't a commutator? Or are you counting D2 as 1 move? Or,
[Megaminx] (RU'R'U) DL DR (U'RUR') DR' DL' ?

The layman (me :) ), mightn't comprehend.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:05 am 

Burgo wrote:
bmenrigh wrote:
2 moves is pretty much the only number of moves it can't be.

Hi Brandon,

Are you saying that:
[Rubiks Cube] (RU'R'U) D2 (U'RUR') D2 isn't a commutator? Or are you counting D2 as 1 move? Or,
[Megaminx] (RU'R'U) DL DR (U'RUR') DR' DL' ?

The layman (me :) ), mightn't comprehend.

Indeed I am counting D2 as one move. What I really mean by a move is some "turnable portion" of the puzzle. In order to exclude other cases where 2 moves may be needed, I also have to count middle slice moves as one move as well as anti-moves and other move + reorientation of puzzle stuff.

That is, I'm taking a "move" to be the most general idea for a move. What isn't 1 move is F U or any other combination like that.

You can build contrived commutators that make use of 2 moves for the Y portion but it's trivial to reduce them to an equivalent commutator that only makes use of 1 move for Y.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:51 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
You also need to undo those "1 or 2 moves" otherwise what you've describe is a conjugate.

I did think about adding that but thought my mostly non twisty audience wouldn't care! But I didn't realise that it was essential! Thanks for the info!

bmenrigh wrote:
Also, the "or 2 moves" part of "1 or 2 moves" isn't completely correct. You never need to use 2 moves. The Y portion of the commutator needs to be 1 more or a conjugate (the shortest is 3 moves) or a commutator (the shortest is 4 moves) or some nesting of commutators and conjugates. 2 moves is pretty much the only number of moves it can't be.

Whoosh! Conversation suddenly 30,000 feet over my head! :shock:
I said I'm a newbie at this and wasn't kidding! I'd love to see a description in plainer English about what you mean and why this is true!

Ultimately I'm just proud of the fact that I was able to design my own 3cycle and actually do it separately for 2 different piece types! I'm just a very simple puzzler!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:55 pm 

Whilst not strictly a review of a twisty puzzle (Gabriel gets away with it so why shouldn't I? :lol: ), I have recently posted a special puzzle review which mentions a special twisty puzzle at the end. I have reviewed the limited edition Angel box, designed and made by Wil Strijbos:

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2013/11/i-freed-my-angel-and-i-need-her-help.html

I managed to free my angel and capture her heart - I am sincerely hoping that she will help me solve my Eitan's star. Yes, having stickered the monster and posted photos on Facebook, I was just attempting a few moves to see what happened when I got side-tracked and it got partially scrambled. :shock: I had no option really other than to fully scramble it. HELP!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:31 am 

I've not added to this thread for a while because I have been trying to only post when there are twisty puzzles on it.

To usher in the New Year I have put up on my blog an enormous post describing my storage woes and how they have been partially resolved. I have then added my top 10 puzzles of 2013 (actually there might be a few more than 10!) and I'm pleased to say that I have included some twisty puzzles in that group - in fact they are at number 4 but please don't skip straight to that section! :lol:

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2014/01/happy-new-year-my-top-10-from-2013.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:38 pm 

It has been a hell of a long time since I updated about my blog here. I try to only inform you all about my Twisty posts rather than let you know about puzzles that are of no interest to you all. (Although if you'd prefer then I could let you know about them all - I publish weekly. Let me know what you would prefer).

This time it is an article aimed at the general puzzler who might be interested but a little afraid of twisty puzzles. I aim to explain about even order cube parity. I welcome feedback about the article.

There's also a little news about a very special new wooden puzzle I am working on!

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2014/01/parity-is-to-be-understood-not-feared.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:48 pm 

I enjoy all the puzzles you post, and quite frankly, cast puzzles have a lot of twisting in order to figure them out :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:04 pm 

I have posted part 2 of my discussion of parity - aimed mainly at general puzzlers who may be put off twisty puzzles because of the dreaded "parity"!
This post focusses on the "Parity of false equivocation" using the Moyu Evil Eye puzzles and the 3x3 Mixup cube to demonstrate.

I also show off that I can solve other puzzles too!! :shock: :shock: :lol:

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2014/02/understanding-parity-part-ii.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:42 pm 

It's been a rather long time since I announced a twisty related blog post!
I finally produced a new puzzle review of something not made of wood! In fact it's 3 reviews - 2 historic puzzles and something brand new - all are sequential movement puzzles which many of you will be familiar with. I also review the not yet available Buzzle ball and announce how you can win one at the end of the post.

http://www.puzzlemad.co.uk/2014/04/plastic-puzzles-can-be-fun-too.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:57 pm 

Very helpful.
Thank you.