Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: TwistedInterests Blog superthread (Updated Dec. 15 2013)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:34 pm 

I'm making this post so I can notify the community whenever I update or add something to my blog without starting new topics. If I am violating rules or displeasing anybody with that just let me know.

Since my first thread asking how my blog launch was, I've completely remodeled it and invite you to tell me whatever you think should be said in the comments either here or on Blogger.

Anyways I've uploaded a Walkthrough of the curvy Copter using the methods in my tutorial. My voice is very odd because I've never made a video like this so I was nervous, but I assure you I'll reach my usual octave with practice ;)

That's it for now! Leave suggestions, critiques, criticisms, and requests down below. My blog is linked in the description as well

Last edited by TheCubingKyle on Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: TwistedInterests Blog superthread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:47 pm 

TheCubingKyle wrote:
Anyways I've uploaded a Walkthrough of the curvy Copter using the methods in my tutorial.

The Meffert's Curvy Copter is made by LanLan. It's the same puzzle with the TomZ sticker added which allows Tom to both get credit and royalties for sales. If you've found your Mefferts-purchased copy to be better it's the result of natural variation from puzzle to puzzle. Getting the right amount of tension and lubrication can make the different between "poor" and "pretty good" turning.

TheCubingKyle wrote:
My voice is very odd because I've never made a video like this so I was nervous, but I assure you I'll reach my usual octave with practice ;)
When you speak, bones conduct the vibration internally and the sound resonates in your skull a bit. This alters your perception of the pitch and timbre of your voice and is one of the reasons why it's so strange to hear your own voice on a recording. Your voice isn't bad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:00 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
TheCubingKyle wrote:
Anyways I've uploaded a Walkthrough of the curvy Copter using the methods in my tutorial.

The Meffert's Curvy Copter is made by LanLan. It's the same puzzle with the TomZ sticker added which allows Tom to both get credit and royalties for sales. If you've found your Mefferts-purchased copy to be better it's the result of natural variation from puzzle to puzzle. Getting the right amount of tension and lubrication can make the different between "poor" and "pretty good" turning.

In this case I got a bunk mould then because I have felt and seen much better ones, and I can't retension because the screws are softer than tin foil! The plastic itself felt cheaper but that could have been purely due to biases

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:07 pm 

Pretty decent video. No worries on the voice. Let me offer some advice.

1. Backgrounds - simplify the viewer experience by offering a neutral background. Instead of showing your kitchen chairs or your shoes on the floor, just a white background is fine. Put a white card upright and film into the white space.

2. Foregrounds - 1/4 of the video screen is obstructed (the bottom 1/4). You could use that space to show the puzzle instead. I think you have the camera balanced on something. Use a tripod instead or find another way to balance the camera so that nothing is blocking the view.

3. Start, middle, end. This concept is key for teaching people. Before you do something, say what you want to do (start). Then say how to do it (middle). Then show that you did what you wanted to do (end). You skip the (end) sometimes. For instance, that first block you built: you started at 1:34 to say what you were going to do, then you said "you gotta make sure before you start your corner and edge are the same orientation" (start) then you oriented them (middle), but at 1:51 after you oriented the corner with the edge you went immediately into the petals (no end!). Instead, stop and say "ok now the corner and edge have the same orientation", show clearly the result, point to the edge, then go on to the petals. Don't skip the "end" part. At 4:02 when you completed the 2nd block you said "now we have two done" but didn't pause for 1 second to show the completed placed block. Instead you went on to tackle the next block. When you finished the 3rd block you didn't say anything. You just put it into place and quickly moved on. Sure when you solve this is what you do but in a tutorial you should stop and show each completed stage.

Oh and I subscribed. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:27 pm 

rplass wrote:
1. Backgrounds - simplify the viewer experience by offering a neutral background. Instead of showing your kitchen chairs or your shoes on the floor, just a white background is fine. Put a white card upright and film into the white space.

I'll try to find a more neutral space or something to prop up thanks for the advice

rplass wrote:
2. Foregrounds - 1/4 of the video screen is obstructed (the bottom 1/4). You could use that space to show the puzzle instead. I think you have the camera balanced on something. Use a tripod instead or find another way to balance the camera so that nothing is blocking the view.

Yeah I don't own a tripod and I was using a stack of books. I tried to put the camera all the way to the edge but then I couldn't see the puzzle! Any suggestions?

rplass wrote:
3. Start, middle, end. This concept is key for teaching people. Before you do something, say what you want to do (start). Then say how to do it (middle). Then show that you did what you wanted to do (end).

I will definitely keep this in mind for tutorials but I want to stress that this was an impromptu video just to show my method in action and how it is applied, more than use it as an actual tutorial. When I am using scripts or posting on my blog I will definitely include this in my proofreading though :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:50 am 

TheCubingKyle wrote:
Yeah I don't own a tripod and I was using a stack of books. I tried to put the camera all the way to the edge but then I couldn't see the puzzle! Any suggestions?

Yes get a tripod :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:57 am 

TheCubingKyle wrote:

You could try to angle the camera by using somethig like a small book underneath the back half of it

This is my WCA-profile.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:35 am 

Or get a camera operative. I hear mothers are good at holding cameras. *hint* *hint*

Post subject: Re: TwistedInterests Blog superthread (Updated Dec. 15 2013)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:30 am 

New post up - I talk about shape mods and their solving differences and also a little bit about why I love them.

http://twistedinterests.blogspot.com/20 ... stuff.html

I encourage all discussion, criticisms, questions and requests :)