Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Got a couple of new Rubiks speedcubes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:43 am 

Got a lovely care package from the people who run Rubiks.com.

Shown are a rubiks lanyard, a red drawstring bag (I have a few orange and green ones, but this is the first red one), a stressball cube, a tiled 2x2, a void cube (my third from these guys), a keychain 3x3 and snake and.... 2 new speedcubes.

They are like the tiled cubes I got at christmas, but they are set up for removing the centrecaps. They are very loose, but seem to have some anti-pop mech. They look like they have a ballcore, but I'm not sure. They also come with 6 spare springs.

They are pretty fast, maybe faster than my guhong 2, but they do lock up a bit more.

Are they new (as in not released yet) or have I just been out of touch?

Post subject: Re: Got a couple of new Rubiks speedcubes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:56 am 

I had heard that Rubiks were intending on dominating the world of speedcubing but until now I had not seen any evidence of this attempt.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:51 am 

I think you should send it to me for testing.... :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:13 am 

kibbleking wrote:
I think you should send it to me for testing.... :D

Or the person who responded first :D haha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:48 am 

It cuts really well. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:53 am 

heiowge wrote:
It cuts really well. :D

I really cant imagine Rubiks brand bringing record breaking speedcube. If it is really that good I am flabbergasted..in a good way

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:15 am 

Unfortunately, I'm not a world champion speedcuber! :lol: My best is about 30 seconds. I haven't timed myself since my stackmat timer battery ran out last year, but I suspect it hasn't changed much. Based on that, I think it's fast and cuts well. I prefer my guhong 2, but I imagine if it's all I had I'd prefer it to my guhong 2 after a week or so. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:20 am 

heiowge wrote:
Are they new (as in not released yet) or have I just been out of touch?

They have not been released yet. Someone over on the Speedsolving forum has owned one since the beginning of the year (link). He was given it though. Also, he hasn't really said anything about it. I think that's because he isn't supposed to (yet).

Since it has centercaps, I'm guessing that it has screws. You can most likely take it apart and see if it does have a ball core. Others would probably like to see the mechanism too. However, you should probably get permission from someone at Rubik's first. I get the feeling that they're trying to keep it private right now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:53 am 

Finally! After 33 years (I wasn't alive 20 of them), Rubik's brand speed cubes exist! It's a miracle! I might go from :scrambled: to :solved: in a sub-25 average with this. I average 26 seconds.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:19 pm 

I think if it were that hush hush, they'd probably come with a disclaimer. I am not going to sell or trade them though. That wouldn't be fair. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:37 pm 

Am I the only one to look at that last picture and see an almost strait copy of the V-Cube mech?

Granted V-Cube didn't use their own design when they released their own 3x3x3 but I'm not sure what to think about this. Is it even possible for Rubik to release a 3x3x3 that would be considered a KO?

Very puzzled... on one hand I'm happy to see a true V-Cube 3x3x3 being mass produced. On the other hand... it is Rubik that appears to be set to release it. What is up with that??? Moderators... what are you thinking? I'd love to know.

Carl

P.S. How to you get on the Rubik's care package list? Sounds like a nice list to be on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:06 pm 

There isn't a care package list. It's a thankyou package for moderating the forums. I wonder if twistypuzzles does the same... 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:16 pm 

Would you be willing to make a video demonstrating these? I'm interested in seeing how they turn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:33 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
Am I the only one to look at that last picture and see an almost strait copy of the V-Cube mech?
I think I see what you mean, but from that one picture I really can't tell enough. I'd love mechanism pictures if they can be posted.
wwwmwww wrote:
Granted V-Cube didn't use their own design when they released their own 3x3x3 but I'm not sure what to think about this. Is it even possible for Rubik to release a 3x3x3 that would be considered a KO?
Sure, if they truly steal someone else's IP. But like you mentioned this isn't something I would suspect from them.
wwwmwww wrote:
Very puzzled... on one hand I'm happy to see a true V-Cube 3x3x3 being mass produced. On the other hand... it is Rubik that appears to be set to release it. What is up with that??? Moderators... what are you thinking? I'd love to know.
Let's get some better pictures and understand what the mech really is. Then, if it really looks to be a possible KO, I would contact both Rubik's and Verdes and get their perspectives.

It should be interesting!

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:38 pm 

Wow cool never thought that rubiks will make a good turning cube btw it the stressballcube fully functional and is it rubbery or soft and can you actually scramble it :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:45 am 

I have bought this at my local toy-store, since the rubiks cube I owned turned really, really bad. And this one said on the box: Turns even better then the original! And it has tiles which I think are always awesome. I am reasonably new to twisty puzzling, so I haven't thought about this, but it does seems strange with the V-cube pattent... I have to say though, the new tiled rubiks cube really turns pretty great!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:16 am 

1NSAN3 wrote:
I have bought this at my local toy-store, since the rubiks cube I owned turned really, really bad. And this one said on the box: Turns even better then the original! And it has tiles which I think are always awesome. I am reasonably new to twisty puzzling, so I haven't thought about this, but it does seems strange with the V-cube pattent... I have to say though, the new tiled rubiks cube really turns pretty great!
Can you post pictures of the mechanism and the packaging? If these are out already I really want to go pick one up. If these are as close to the V-Cube mechanism as I suspect then I think this may be a joint venture between Rubik and V-Cube. If the mechanism is the same and this isn't a joint venture these may not be on store shelves for long. In either case this feels like a significant moment in Twisty Puzzle history and I want one. Then again I may be totally off on the mechanism... I just don't think I am.

Thanks,
Carl

P.S. Looks like my concern that these look like the original V-Cube design isn't as new as I thought it was.
http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=296942#p296942

It also looks like these have been available for some time. Not sure how I missed this before now.
http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=298986#p298986

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:29 am 

My new best speedcubes are these new Rubik's speedcubes. I'm hoping they'll be available for everyone to buy soon, but I think they are awesome, and have replaced my Guhong II as my main speedcube. Thats how good they are.

As for a vid... I'll try and put one together soon. I'm a bit laid up right now with my foot (very painful), so am not as active as I should be.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:33 am 

heiowge wrote:
I'm a bit laid up right now with my foot (very painful), so am not as active as I should be.

You could just show us the speed cube using your hands?

Im not that bothered about foot solving :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:39 am 

It's not that. I'd have to hunt round for my camera stand. That would mean a sore foot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:41 am 

sorry Heiowge, I was only teasing :D

we will be patient

Keep it elevated!

EDIT: The foot, not the cube

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:52 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
1NSAN3 wrote:
Can you post pictures of the mechanism and the packaging? If these are out already I really want to go pick one up. If these are as close to the V-Cube mechanism as I suspect then I think this may be a joint venture between Rubik and V-Cube. If the mechanism is the same and this isn't a joint venture these may not be on store shelves for long. In either case this feels like a significant moment in Twisty Puzzle history and I want one. Then again I may be totally off on the mechanism... I just don't think I am.

Thanks,
Carl

(...)

Hi, I don't have the packaging anymore, but I did find photo's of it online.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:14 pm 

That one is different. It doesn't have the holes to help remove the centre tile.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:32 am 

heiowge wrote:
That one is different. It doesn't have the holes to help remove the centre tile.

My cube doesn't have holes in it either. I wouldn't know how to remove the caps at all...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:17 pm 

I've upped the video, but given it its own thread, so that it might attract the attention of those who might be interested in the vid, but not this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:00 pm 

heiowge wrote:
Based on this picture:
Attachment:
Rubik.PNG
Rubik.PNG [ 151.09 KiB | Viewed 2112 times ]

I was inclined to say these are probably the same puzzle. You just got a sample with the tiles Rubik used for testing.
1NSAN3 wrote:
My cube doesn't have holes in it either. I wouldn't know how to remove the caps at all...
The released one appear to have different tiles. But I also just watched your video and in it you review a several puzzles. The second one you show which has the sunken tiles which can't be removed looks exactly like the Rubik's Version 2 which 1NSAN3 has. Can you say anything about this cube? Is this the version 2? If so then it does appear to perform significantly worse then the one with the holes in the center tiles. In light of this video, I think I agree with you... the one's with the holes in the tiles does appear to be a different puzzle. Now my curiosity about the mechanism is all the much greater. I was just about to order the version 2 but it really looks like I should hold out for this new one (should I call it version 3?).

If the second puzzle in your video isn't the version 2 let me know and I may order one yet.

Thanks,
Carl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:43 pm 

This appears to be a V-Cube 3, but with a spherical core. The Fangshi Shuang Ren is unpoppable, but my V-3 made out of a V-2 pops sometimes. Why not add the indent and increase the size of the edge wings, also making the cube no longer similar to the V-Cube patent? Just a suggestion. :mrgreen:

I hope it rains on your parade
I hope you have a lousy day today

Just Kidding! Have a great day!

Sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:52 am 

Rubik's released a Rubik's 2.0 that is tiled but not a speedcube, AND a speedcube with adjustable screws and a different anti-popping mechanism that I personally haven't seen before. CyoubX on YouTube said if they changed one small thing it might become his main and he's like... 12-15 average? So It seems to be a wonderful puzzle. He also shows the mech. Video below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQVp_B9mAxQ

He has a different video for the other new Rubik's Cube as well

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:03 am 

I dont know if anyone has watched RedKB's video on youtube, but it looks, ridiculously, like they have made the non speedcube version intentionally stiff and "un-cuttable"