Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My Litwin Elementals
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:20 pm 

Although I´ll probably never own a complete set of Litwin Elementals like Rox does, these puzzles hold a special place in my heart, so I believe they are worth a post of their own. I have previously shown my fractal themed Neon, music themed Argon and friendship themed Aluminum Heart, and today I received the latest installment in this series: a juggling themed Scandium.

When I first received my Neon back in 2009, I was pretty sure it was the most beautiful puzzle I would ever have the fortune of owning. But then came the Argon in 2010 and gave my Neon some serious competition. Well, Dave has done it again! I am blown away by the beauty of the Scandium, and my pictures really don't do it justice:

A juggling themed Elemental definitely deserves a splash of color, but rainbow colored plungers with matching juggling clubs set against a black body with brushed aluminum pieces, works even better than I had imagined when I first sent Dave this rough sketch back in 2012:

What I really enjoy about these customized puzzles, is that you get to dream up pretty much any motive you want, and Dave will transform it into a beautiful puzzle design. Dave has developed a technique for making background patterns on mirrored acrylics, so to top it off, he etched a floral background pattern on the plungers and the back plate. It's hard to capture the details of this puzzle with my camera, but I believe I'll spend quite some time just admiring how nicely the pattern shifts in different lighting conditions. :)

The floral pattern was inspired by the pattern on my Thai dancing costume. :)

As always, Dave has done an absolutely amazing job, and I can't thank him enough for the time and efforts he has put into getting this puzzle so perfect. Somehow I can't help smiling whenever I look at my Elementals. There are certainly more challenging puzzles out there, but these Elementals are true pieces of art, and they offer a unique way of combining puzzles with other major interests in life. Besides, they are the only puzzles I know by first names. ;) Some may recall from earlier posts that my fractal Neon is named Julia (due to the displayed Julia set), my music Argon is named Frank (due to the violin sonata by Cesar Franck), and my friendship Aluminum Heart is named Joy. So what is the name of my juggling Scandium? Well, Henry of course. Since those clubs are clearly molded after Henrys Pirouette European Juggling Clubs. ;)

I will end this long-winded post with some pictures of my Litwin Quadruplets:

Still wondering why I keep on giving these puzzles names? That might be because you haven't noticed their cute little faces yet. ;)

And the DIY Neon named Davy (my foreign pronunciation of DIVY - Do It Valiantly Yourself), might want to join the party too:

Thanks again for giving me such a wonderful family of Elementals, Dave!

Post subject: Re: My Litwin Elementals
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:38 pm 

I have to say that they are very beautiful puzzles, I envy your collection. Maybe one day I'll own one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:06 pm 

Glad they arrived safely!

I really enjoyed the technical and artistic challenges of this one, it was an on and off effort since January 2012! Sometimes getting the right concept matched with the right materials and techniques takes time. There were some challenges I hadn't seen on my Elementals before (like software conversion crashes due to the very complex floral pattern), and other problems I have seen that were hard to work around (acrylic cracking when inking).
There were quite a few redone pieces. The end result was definitely worth the time, however, I really like how it came out.

Find some more pictures here.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:52 am 

I really love that etched pattern in the colored handles. It looks fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:33 am 

Wow, puzzles are often described as beautiful but these take it to a new level.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:19 am 

Gus wrote:
I have to say that they are very beautiful puzzles, I envy your collection. Maybe one day I'll own one.

I have two Elemental puzzles, great idea and perfect implementation, Dave!
Gus, don't wait, go ahead and order one :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:20 am 

How beautiful :D
I'm curious what future will bring us (or me :wink: ?).