Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Parkour / Free Running - Rubik's Cube style
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:27 am 

I decided to combine Rubik's Cubes with Parkour- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn7vUeLasU0

Post subject: Re: Parkour / Free Running - Rubik's Cube style
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:46 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I decided to combine Rubik's Cubes with Parkour- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn7vUeLasU0
Nice!!!! This gives your avatar a whole new meaning. LOL!!!

Carl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:03 pm 

Great ending, wasn't expecting that at all!

-d

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:36 pm 

It looked too wonderful, it looked very adventurous, it looked so exhilarating...

Why oh why, did it have to have *that* ending????

:shock: :lol:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:27 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
It looked too wonderful, it looked very adventurous, it looked so exhilarating...

Why oh why, did it have to have *that* ending????

:shock: :lol:

I'd love to have done it straight but the quality of my Parkour is so low I needed something extra in the video.

Here's some screen grabs. Making them look even remotely real and big was a nightmare. The Void Cube was the only actual normal sized puzzle and bizarrely it looks the most convincing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:20 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
The Void Cube was the only actual normal sized puzzle and bizarrely it looks the most convincing.
I don't know if this would have looked any more convincing or not but on first watching I was asking myself if this was edited after the fact or if it was all "in camera editing". Not sure that is the correct term but I think just about all these shots could have been made by placing the camera low to the ground and then placing normal sized puzzles on a rise in the foreground while you ran across objects hidden by the puzzles in the background. If filmed that way there wouldn't be a need for much if any editing. But it may have been more obvious that the puzzles were normal sized and in the foreground if one could easily compare them in size to the grass for example. After several watchings I don't think that is what you did and what you did do may be the better option. I simply don't have the experience to tell... any maybe that is what you did a a few of the shots.

Carl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:39 pm 

Brilliant vid, where was it filmed? I live in the south east of England and it kind of reminded me of Dungeness.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:43 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Making them look even remotely real and big was a nightmare. The Void Cube was the only actual normal sized puzzle and bizarrely it looks the most convincing.

I think that's because the shade is on the right side of the puzzle where the shadow is, the others look too bright above the shadow. Also, using a zoom lens from further away might have given a better perspective. Still a great vid, must have taken a few hours.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:21 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
... these shots could have been made by placing the camera low to the ground and then placing normal sized puzzles on a rise in the foreground while you ran across objects hidden by the puzzles in the background. If filmed that way there wouldn't be a need for much if any editing.

I did that for my Really Really Big Rubik's Cube video. I knew from that it would have taken hours to get right for something more ambitious like this.

andychilly wrote:
Brilliant vid, where was it filmed? I live in the south east of England and it kind of reminded me of Dungeness.

Thanks. It was filmed at Landguard Point in Felixstowe, Suffolk. I used to play there as a kid (and still do I guess) on the 2nd world war defences. It's now a nature reserve so weird blokes walking round with cameras are pretty normal. The stepping sequence was done on tank blocks. The other jumps were done from derelict buildings of the same era.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:01 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
andychilly wrote:

Thanks. It was filmed at Landguard Point in Felixstowe, Suffolk. I used to play there as a kid (and still do I guess) on the 2nd world war defences. It's now a nature reserve so weird blokes walking round with cameras are pretty normal. The stepping sequence was done on tank blocks. The other jumps were done from derelict buildings of the same era.
Awesome, Felixstowe is nice, used to holiday in Suffolk. A little place called Thorpeness just north of ya.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:18 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I'd love to have done it straight but the quality of my Parkour is so low I needed something extra in the video.

Here's some screen grabs. Making them look even remotely real and big was a nightmare. The Void Cube was the only actual normal sized puzzle and bizarrely it looks the most convincing. ...
I have no idea, how you can make such videos. Great fun!
The problem could be, that people will look with some doubts at your future videos "This Tony Fisher can make us believe anything ..."