Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Mixup & Plus Cubes - shape-ignoring solutions?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:15 pm 

I'm able to solve my Mixup Cube, but the first step I take is always "return to a cube shape". I can't yet solve the Mixup Plus but that's the first step there too. And if I had a shape-mod of a Mixup puzzle - for example, the Mixup Octahedron (technically a Mixup Plus puzzle) I would start by returning it to its original shape too.

But over in this thread we've been talking about a potential shape-mod of these puzzles - the deltoidal icositetrahedron. In this shape, the puzzles are non-shape-shifting! Returning to the original shape is meaningless.

Of course you can still use the solution method, but "return to shape" becomes instead "determine which pieces go at the intersections of slice layers, put them there, and make sure all other edges aren't rotated 90 or 270 degrees, and if this is a Plus puzzle also make sure that no wedges are backwards". It's a mess.

So is there a solution to these puzzles which is less shape-dependent?

Post subject: Re: The Mixup & Plus Cubes - shape-ignoring solutions?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:43 pm 

Certainly there should be. Since the centers and edges both have 4-fold rotational symmetry, one would have to use the colors on the pieces to determine their orientation/where they go. Perhaps instead of first orienting the "center" and "edge" pieces, you could simply permute them all into place and orient them afterwards-this way, you wouldn't run into any parity issues...I think.

Post subject: Re: The Mixup & Plus Cubes - shape-ignoring solutions?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:55 pm 

I finally solved my Mixup Plus cube using the "cube shape, then reduction to 3x3 and parity fix" method (all I needed to look up was returning to the cube shape). But when researching how to fix the bits that the parity fix unsolves, for when I run into it (thanks for the video rline!), I found that there is a simple 3-cycle for solving the "inner edges" (I've always called these "wedges" because of their shape and how they're wedged in between the other pieces).

So next time I solve my Mixup Plus I'm going to try doing a "wedges last" solution. :)

But anyway I'm posting this in this particular topic because wedges last would make a lot of sense for a Mixup Plus Kites if Oskar were to ever make one...

But there is still the problem of solving the original non-plus version first in either case. I like the idea of "permute first, ask questions later orient second" in theory but I think in practice it might be too difficult compared to orienting as you go.

It also occurred to me that if you wanted to make this easier, you could sticker it as if it were a Mixup Cube, putting four shades of red on one "face", four shades of blue on another, and so on. But that seems like missing the point. ;)

As much as I dislike simulator programs compared to the real thing... is there anyone who can whip one up for this puzzle?