Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: IPP33
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:29 am 

OK, it's about time I posted a bit.

Leading up to IPP33 I was working until 2-3am each night the week preceding IPP to get my exchange puzzle done. Lots of late nights at the TechShop lasering then a ton of assembly and tuning of each individual puzzle.

The night before my flight I didn't sleep at all, finishing up at 7:44am with barely time to shower and pack before rushing to the airport. Here was my exchange, another collaboration with Bram:
I'll post separately about this puzzle later.
Here are the other exchange puzzles:
(Yes, that is TomZ for those who recognized him...)
It was great seeing old friends again, and in particular Hidetoshi who I haven't seen since the last Japanese IPP
Here is the table I shared with Roxanne:
My puzzles for sale:
And finally what I bought and traded for:

Enjoy (I did!),

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:19 am 

Sundays puzzle party blog post is up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:42 am 

My booty from this IPP:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:55 am 

Brian Pletcher's Blog wrote:
2013 Design Competition Winners!
Hey folks! Here are the results, hot off the presses:

Top Ten Vote Getters:

Tri-Triangle - Takuro Kowasaki
Bucolic Cube - Yashuhiro hashimoto
Tetracubed - Robert Reid, George Miller, Stan Isaacs
Tri symmetrics - Vladimir Krasnoukhov and Irina Novichkova
Snake Case - Hiroaki Hamanaka
Symmetrick - Vesa Timonen

Honorable Mention:

Slide Twist Twist Slide - Tony Fisher
Galaxy - Bram Cohen

First Prize:

GEAPPLE - Andras Zagyvia

Grand Prize:

Helical Burr - Derek Bosch

Puzzlers Award:

Dancing Shoes - Goh Pit Khiam

Great job all!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:23 am 

Congratulations to all winners! :)

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:02 am 

If anyone can, copy my FB photo to here and you can see the TP group that showed up for this years IPP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:29 am 

katsmom wrote:
If anyone can, copy my FB photo to here and you can see the TP group that showed up for this years IPP

Attachments:
IPP33.jpg
IPP33.jpg [ 291.61 KiB | Viewed 4202 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:01 am 

Roxanne, (or whoever knows them all), can you, please, attach TP member name tags to this photo? :)
I recognize several but certainly not all.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:49 am 

Konrad wrote:
Roxanne, (or whoever knows them all), can you, please, attach TP member name tags to this photo? :)

These are the ones I know. I will update the pic with names as I am told them.

Attachments:
IPP33d.jpg
IPP33d.jpg [ 129.56 KiB | Viewed 4121 times ]

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:27 am 

Missing, top row left to right: Carl (wwwmwww), Scott Eliot, Nick Baxter, Laurie Brokenshire. I don't recall the others' names.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:31 am 

In a great irony, of the four judge's awards this year, three of them were given to twisty puzzlers, but only one of those puzzles is even partially a twisty. Congratulations to Tony, Derek, and that other guy!

In a form of judging which continues to drive me nuts, we can ascertain that of the four judges's awards, three of them were in the top ten public votes, but we'll never find out which one wasn't.

I can't help but notice that the bucolic cube is a reinvention of a very similar concept I came up with a few years ago. I should have entered whatever designs I did have in previous years to the competition, rather than thinking of my burrs as too simple.

This year I managed to get three entries in which I thought were sufficiently interesting to submit. They are the Galaxy, the Cuboctahelix (collaboration with Jason Smith, he did all the cadding) and Convergent Evolution: D'Artagnan (collaboration with Wei-Hwa Huang, he did all the real work). The first two were fairly obviously me, the last one nobody seemed to guess. I'd much appreciate any feedback from the people who played with these in the design competition.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:42 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Can anyone actually explain how the prize winners are decided and what the different prizes mean?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:57 pm 

As my puzzle (Drop Slider) is not in the top 10, I now tell everyone my puzzle has won the eleventh price ! (together with 49 other puzzles) :wink:
The same with my puzzles in 2011 & 2012.
Oh well, I am pleased the puzzle survived the first selection and was entered into the competition. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:07 pm 

Puzzlemad wrote:
Can anyone actually explain how the prize winners are decided and what the different prizes mean?

http://www.johnrausch.com/designcompetition/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:13 pm 

Puzzlemad wrote:

'Grand prize' is the highest prize by the judges. 'First prize' is the next highest prize by the judges. 'Honorable mention' is everything else the judges decided to note. I'm not sure why there are so few honorable mentions this year.

'Puzzler's Award' is the puzzle which got the most votes from the puzzlers. 'Top 10' is everything else in the top 10 votes from the general puzzlers which didn't get a jury award. Which of the puzzles which got jury awards also got in the top 10 isn't announced.

The judges put an extremely heavy emphasis on novelty, which can cause a number of puzzles which are very popular among the voters to not win jury awards, because the jury considers them too similar to already known designs, which the jury tends to be aware of the extreme cutting edge of.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:18 pm 

Wow, I cannot believe that my prediction actually came true.

When I looked at the Helical Burr puzzle by Derek, even not having played with it, I already suspected that there is something seriously interesting about it.

And so, congratulations for winning the Grand Prize. Also congratulations to all the winners.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:35 pm 

james10 wrote:
Wow, I cannot believe that my prediction actually came true.

When I looked at the Helical Burr puzzle by Derek, even not having played with it, I already suspected that there is something seriously interesting about it.

And so, congratulations for winning the Grand Prize. Also congratulations to all the winners.

I wasn't even at the IPP this year and just looking at the entries, I had a feeling that one would win too. Hopefully it becomes available for sale soon.

-d

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:17 am 

Congratulations to all winners! (especially Bram, Derek and Tony of this community)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:45 am 

mixer wrote:
As my puzzle (Drop Slider) is not in the top 10, I now tell everyone my puzzle has won the eleventh price ! (together with 49 other puzzles) :wink:
The same with my puzzles in 2011 & 2012.
Oh well, I am pleased the puzzle survived the first selection and was entered into the competition. :)

I feel the same; it's already much to come through the selection with a design, certainly as the novel puzzle designer I am. :D

(and I received Gabriel's honour for the MazeRoll. You can't win twice :wink: )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:52 am 

Well done to the forum's competition winners and good evening from Ishikawa!

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:09 am 

thanks, everyone!
I just listed the Helical Burr on my shape ways shop:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/smiteo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:26 pm 

Derek Bosch wrote:
thanks, everyone!
I just listed the Helical Burr on my shape ways shop:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/smiteo

Results look good in "black and white" Derek - http://www.johnrausch.com/designcompetition . I like the look of the other three Jury winners but don't really get the Dancing Shoes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:17 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
...but don't really get the Dancing Shoes.
This was a packing puzzle with obstructions and the solution required a nice coordinated motion of the lighter pieces (once below the obstructions) to open out to the dark piece. The movement was very smooth and elegant.
It was one of my top five picks. Not very difficult, but really pleasant.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:03 am 

DLitwin wrote:
It was one of my top five picks. Not very difficult, but really pleasant.

Mine too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:04 am 

DLitwin wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:
...but don't really get the Dancing Shoes.
This was a packing puzzle with obstructions and the solution required a nice coordinated motion of the lighter pieces (once below the obstructions) to open out to the dark piece. The movement was very smooth and elegant.

Thanks. Coincidentally I have just been watching a repeat of Cheers and saw this-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:08 am 

You added 2 quotes :o

Must have been fun. I'm 15 and halfway across the world. My parents would never let me go alone. :lol:

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:58 am 

Everything I could say has already been said: Great time with great people.
I just want to mention: Contrary to Roxannes photo I am NOT 7 feet tall.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:45 am 

Well, just a quick summary of my impression of the IPP. :)

The Hanayama 30 year Cast Puzzle Celebration was an excellent pre-IPP start.
We were paid with puzzles (e.g. Cast Cylinder) for having fun!!! I also had the
chance to meet many good friends after a long time (e.g. Teddy Sakamoto).

The Tokyo Puzzle Party was the next puzzle stop, but it seemed I was the only non-Japanese
puzzler who attended it...! Sadly, I realised that one of the products sold by a well-known
shop, was a knock-off (was told about it from the inventor). So beware, clones exist in Japan too!

The IPP started, and it was very stressful for me, as my exchange puzzles arrived at the hotel
just two days before the puzzle exchange! Combined with that, was the fact that during that
stressful time and while traveling to the IPP, I was told that the sole puzzle I sent to the competition
was not included. The way it happened was enough to discourage me from ever competing again
especially as I gave a lot of emphasis in both quality and novelty. In any case, enjoying some
other sequential puzzles is always very rewarding, and this by itself makes things worthwhile!

At the competition, there were also some other puzzles which were not distinguished,
despite using some brilliant mechanisms. In my humble opinion, new puzzle mechanisms
should be given priority, because those are the ones which primarily drive puzzle designs
to new heights. Applying new themes is also very important, but secondary to the mechanisms.
Note, such mechanisms need not be complicated, but they must be unique and novel.
(A good example is Iwahiro's brilliant Square in the bag, which was last year's most popular puzzle!).

So, I will mention some designs (mostly sequential!) which were not mentioned in the competition
results, but left to me a lasting impression, so I will try to provide a brief insight to those who
were not there:

The Binary Bud was an extremely cool looking puzzle, but its promising structure hit a wall
because of its stiff movement, which was almost causing its pieces to breaking point. Remember,
such puzzles need to repeat many moves, so it had to be robust.

The Dispersed GC Lock was also based on a similar concept. It moved better than the Binary Bud,
but its mechanism was not very novel. I had spent some nice time with it, that, I can confess!

The well known (from this forum) Maze Roll, was extremely enjoyable, and it is a puzzle that you really
need to buy. The competition piece, was a quality product and it had the "just-right" difficulty! It had
one difficult "dexterity moment", but also some logical steps where you had to first go backwards
before advancing again.

The Ladder of Brahma took me a few seconds to solve, but it was exactly what I expected when I first saw it.
Loved the idea of "inverting" the concept of the Tower of Brahma, though as a puzzle, it did not offer anything new.
And I did not even realise that behind this design, was a good friend (Tom Lee).

The Elevator Puzzle was one of the pleasant surprises. A maze using a square with pins along each side,
which was traveling inside a square tunnel. Ι admit, I was initially shocked by the way it moved.
The problem though in this case, was that the pins had over-scratched the paths, and it did not look
very nice according to some puzzlers. For me though, that was irrelevant, because it was satisfying to use!

The Books/T.V. ? puzzle, was for me, the best puzzle this year that I found in the competition.
Four square plates, numbered 1-2-3-4, had to be swapped to 4-3-2-1. The way it worked and
the way each piece was strategically blocking each other made it an amazing new challenge.
But the mechanism was what left me in awe. The plates 1,3 had two opposite pins on the front
(up and down), and the 2,4 plates on the back (up and down). Those pins were only allowed to
fit in paths which formed a "window" shape. This shape was identical at the top lid and the bottom base.
The designer was Sam Cornwell, and I would really love to meet this guy! (He was also the designer
of the Elevator Puzzle)

During the IPP, I managed to start not one, but two twisty puzzle meetings. I did all I could to spread
the word, first by stating it here, and then individually mentioning it to all twisty puzzlers. I thank
everyone who joined, as both turned into big gatherings, and I hope you all had fun! I surely did!!!

After the IPP, there was the trip to Ishikawa to view Nob Yoshigahara's collection. They had only few
pieces on display, but the experience was really worthwhile. Plus, there were ninja temples over there too!!!

It's over now, but there is not much we can do. Till next time!

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:36 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
In my humble opinion, new puzzle mechanisms
should be given priority, because those are the ones which primarily drive puzzle designs
to new heights. Applying new themes is also very important, but secondary to the mechanisms.
Note, such mechanisms need not be complicated, but they must be unique and novel.

I couldn't agree with you more on this. I always make sure my top pick has a brand new mechanism that is unique and novel. I actually find the simpler mechanisms that haven't been done more satisfying. I think because I figure everything simple has been done before, but it isn't always the case and it's a great surprise to find something simple and new.

-d

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:48 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
The Elevator Puzzle was one of the pleasant surprises. A maze using a square with pins along each side,
which was traveling inside a square tunnel. Ι admit, I was initially shocked by the way it moved.
The problem though in this case, was that the pins had over-scratched the paths, and it did not look
very nice according to some puzzlers. For me though, that was irrelevant, because it was satisfying to use!

This was uninteresting to me, because it was just a maze, and also because it was just the little brother of...

Quote:
The Books/T.V. ? puzzle, was for me, the best puzzle this year that I found in the competition.
Four square plates, numbered 1-2-3-4, had to be swapped to 4-3-2-1. The way it worked and
the way each piece was strategically blocking each other made it an amazing new challenge.
But the mechanism was what left me in awe. The plates 1,3 had two opposite pins on the front
(up and down), and the 2,4 plates on the back (up and down). Those pins were only allowed to
fit in paths which formed a "window" shape. This shape was identical at the top lid and the bottom base.
The designer was Sam Cornwell, and I would really love to meet this guy! (He was also the designer
of the Elevator Puzzle)

Yes, I really liked this; I wish I had had more time to play with it. Nice, novel mechanism. I voted for it.

But my top vote went to Snake Case (also a top 10). I actually managed to buy the second copy from the designer, after the awards ceremony! 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:01 pm 

Bob, how did the snake case work? hard to tell from just the picture...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:15 pm 

Derek Bosch wrote:

Derek, the Snake was a wooden structure bending in certain angles, and it had to fit inside a cylindrical-like cloth.
For some reason, it reminded me the aforementioned square in the bag, and it well might have an interesting solved
state, but I am not sure how it is solved as I avoid looking into the solutions.

Pantazis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:22 pm 

bhearn wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:

This was uninteresting to me, because it was just a maze, and also because it was just the little brother of...

Quote:
of the Elevator Puzzle)

Yes, I really liked this; I wish I had had more time to play with it. Nice, novel mechanism. I voted for it.

But my top vote went to Snake Case (also a top 10). I actually managed to buy the second copy from the designer, after the awards ceremony! 8-)

Indeed, the two puzzles from Sam had something in common. The Elevator though, could have its square turned
vertically and horizontally in any position (something the Books/TV didn't do) and it almost reminded me the way
the square's movement in Edi Nagata's Flipside (which was a beautiful, novel, but incredibly fragile puzzle entered
in the 2005 competition).

Of course, I totally agree with you, that the Books/TV was many classes better a readily available puzzle.

And well done getting the snake!!!

;)

Pantazis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:09 pm 

Derek Bosch wrote:

kastellorizo wrote:
Derek, the Snake was a wooden structure bending in certain angles, and it had to fit inside a cylindrical-like cloth.
For some reason, it reminded me the aforementioned square in the bag, and it well might have an interesting solved
state, but I am not sure how it is solved as I avoid looking into the solutions.

Yes, it was reminiscent of Square in the Bag, in that you have to put a simple thing into another simple thing, and it's obviously impossible -- until you figure out that it's not. Unfortunately I can't really say much more about it; it's the kind of thing you have to play with. I will say that it really makes you appreciate topology.

Snake Case

Goal: Arrange so that the snake hides completely inside its case.

Materials: Wood and cotton
Classification: 3-D assembly

Notes: No undue force is required. So please treat the snake gently, and not to stretch the snake too hard.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:15 pm 

DLitwin wrote:
And finally what I bought and traded for:

Gee, one of those puzzles looks strangely familiar... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:12 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Konrad wrote:

These are the ones I know. I will update the pic with names as I am told them.
Thanks for the names. Are all with name tags TP members as well? I'm speculating: Scott Eliot = VeryWetPaint?
Using the Search button told me:
Nick Baxter was mentioned as "infrequent forum member and IPP organizer", once.
And "Laurie Brokenshire , the puzzle friend mentioned above with the 10,000+ puzzles".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:16 am 

Konrad wrote:
Thanks for the names. Are all with name tags TP members as well? I'm speculating: Scott Eliot = VeryWetPaint?
Using the Search button told me:
Nick Baxter was mentioned as "infrequent forum member and IPP organizer", once.
And "Laurie Brokenshire , the puzzle friend mentioned above with the 10,000+ puzzles".

Up to today I would have said that Nick Baxter and Laurie Brokenshire are NO members here.
Your speculation about Scott is correct.
For all others the nicknames are given or obvious.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:41 pm 

I did not know that Laurie is a TP member, and I have only met him in real life, not in the forum, but there is a matching username here.
I still remember one of Nick's posts a few years back, when it made me aware of his auction web site. Well, that was an expensive post for me. :)

http://puzzles.schwandtner.info

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:49 pm 

Konrad wrote:

When I met Laurie back at the Boston IPP 2006, he said it was over 30,000 puzzles...
I think he has a login, but I doubt he logs in here too often.

-d

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:23 am 

My final thought on IPP are posted.

http://ipp30.blogspot.hk/2013/08/ipp-33 ... ughts.html

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:33 am 

At IPP33 I met Jerry, a new IPP member and friend of Roxanne's from Singapore.
He isn't currently a TP member but had a nice blog post (here) about IPP so I thought I would mention it.

Nice to meet you Jerry!

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:59 pm 

Strange? The Tri-Triangle puzzle that was in the Top 10 is no longer on the Puzzle Competition entry list?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:38 am 

mixer wrote:
Strange? The Tri-Triangle puzzle that was in the Top 10 is no longer on the Puzzle Competition entry list?

Well... here also... I could swear that I witnessed the Ladder of Brahma voted as one of the top ten,
but it was never listed on the website...! I asked a friend and agreed with me. I could be wrong about it,
but I hope someone has a video of the award moments to clarify those.

:?

Pantazis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:27 am 

mixer wrote:

Well, I see the Triangle listed here

I think that the website is being updated.
All designer names are now listed, and PDF files with info/solutions are available(!) (see link above, text at top of website)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:03 am 

Not the Triangle, but the Tri-Triangle, it was a red puzzle made of 3 triangles, it disappeared from the Entry List and also from the list with the results of the competition: http://www.johnrausch.com/DesignCompetition/default.htm
On the Entry List it is stated that 60 puzzles are entered, I've just counted them, only 58. :?
And I didn't see the Ladder of Brahma in the Top 10.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:35 am 

mixer wrote:
Not the Triangle, but the Tri-Triangle, it was a red puzzle made of 3 triangles, it disappeared from the Entry List and also from the list with the results of the competition

Sorry for my mixup between Triangles...

mixer wrote:
On the Entry List it is stated that 60 puzzles are entered, I've just counted them, only 58. :?

I've found out that the RevolvIQa was removed, probably due to:

Aleksey wrote:
I have a question regarding one of the entries in the Puzzle Design Competition. The puzzle is called RevolvIQa. I was under impression that the entries must be relatively new puzzles, but this particular puzzle is not. The puzzle was invented in the Soviet Union by Pavel Mantashyan, and there's the patent for it registered on Feb 23, 1985

Maybe Rox or Oskar can illuminate on the questions about top-ten and the removal of Tri-Triangle and RevolvIQa (the latter for a probably quite obvious reason, see quote).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:24 am 

mixer wrote:

Surely, there must be a good reason for this, especially as some other puzzles were waiting in line
but never made it. I believe it well has to do with intellectual property, at least for one of the puzzles
stated above.

mixer wrote:

Lucie, were you present at the awards? (I am saying this because it is there
where I had the impression it was mentioned, it was never listed on the website).

Pantazis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:33 am 

kastellorizo wrote:
mixer wrote:

Lucie, were you present at the awards?

Pantazis

No, I wasn't present, but I followed the posts here and on the Design Competition website, because my puzzle 'Drop Slider' was in the competition.
No idea if the Ladder of Brahma was top 10 or not, I've never seen it on the list.
I just noticed that at first there were 6 puzzles in the Top 10, then since yesterday there were only 5, and found out that the Tri-Triangle disappeared.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:46 am 

Splinter wrote:
I've found out that the RevolvIQa was removed, probably due to:

Aleksey wrote:
I have a question regarding one of the entries in the Puzzle Design Competition. The puzzle is called RevolvIQa. I was under impression that the entries must be relatively new puzzles, but this particular puzzle is not. The puzzle was invented in the Soviet Union by Pavel Mantashyan, and there's the patent for it registered on Feb 23, 1985

Maybe Rox or Oskar can illuminate on the questions about top-ten and the removal of Tri-Triangle and RevolvIQa (the latter for a probably quite obvious reason, see quote).

I will have a story about RevolvIQa in a little while. I hope to finish gathering all facts together this week.
And thank you for encouraging me to step forward with my doubts and report this to the Judging Committee.

Last edited by Aleksey on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:48 am 

tri-triangle was a top 10 vote getter, and Ladder of Brahma was not in the top at all. I took photo of all the awards as Brian typed them up. I just went back and looked and it wasn't there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next