Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is Rubik's taking it a little bit to far?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:24 pm 

I didn't see any other post about it, other then the ebay violation thread, but if you follow crazybadcuber on facebook, you probably seen that rubik's is trying to take EVRYTHING away that use the name "rubik's with out their permession? Does anybody know's more stuff about what happenning? Because from what crazybadcuber (Dan) is saying they are goong after youtuber's, packages, and even more..?

Post subject: Re: Is Rubik's taking it a little bit to far?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:24 pm 

Seven Towns have been very harsh on the puzzle community using their brand, but to be fair, Rubik is their trademark, and they have every legal and moral right to protect it, even though I think they go too far and risk alienating their customers.

They have no right to stop anyone using it when referring to *their* puzzles (for example, I could say "I think Rubik's puzzles are a load of c**p"), but legally, one must not use it to promote other puzzles, because that is trademark infringement, or else passing off (that's a legal term, with an 'a', not an 'i'!).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:21 pm 

Yeah but the own the name "rubik's cube". And if you go on the WCA and check the rankings it deosn't say 3x3x3, it say's rubik's cube. So technicly they could force WCA ti change that, ir make evryone use a "real" "rubik's cube" in a competition? Dan, (if it's really true) as said that he heard of someone having hes packages destroy by the customs because of illegal items (unbranded rubik's cube). If it's true that could cause some pronlem. And rubik's as (not exactcly but basicly) said that they have the right in evrything (almost) that look's like a rubik's cube, so that causes another problem. What is their definition of things that look like a rubik's cube, hybrids, shapemod or all twistypuzzles?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:43 am 

WCA aren't promoting and selling non-Rubik cubes using the Rubik name.

Please read again my last post. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:57 am 

KelvinS wrote:
WCA aren't promoting and selling non-Rubik cubes using the Rubik name.

Please read again my last post. :wink:

Yes, but as rubik's as been acting now, they are
Not "playing the game" in a fair way

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:30 am 

YES !!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:05 am 

I agree that Seven Towns tends to overstep the mark in a bullying manner, claiming that people can't use their brand in any context. In that case, I would just ignore them, or tell them to p*** off, while citing the law on what trademarks can and cannot protect. You can also report their bullying behaviour to the office of fair trade, or whatever that may be called in your country.

Seven Towns do NOT have any right to prevent anyone mentioning the name Rubik. Even comparative advertising (directly comparing the benefits of one product or brand against another) is allowed in most countries, to encourage fair competition. They ONLY have the right to stop others from using the brand to promote or sell other puzzles or goods, where this may lead to confusion over source and ownership, as explained in my links above.

For example, in my Qubami video I explain that my puzzle is "based on the same mechanism as Rubik's Cube" (which is now off patent). This is a fact, and the statement is clearly not intended to cause confusion or imply that the puzzle is sanctioned by Seven Towns. I also have the name "Rubik" as a search keyword, because the mechanism is related, but again I do not imply anything more sinister. On that basis, if Seven Towns tried to claim trademark infringement, I would simply point to the relevant section of law, tell them to bugger off, and copy my reply to the office of fair trading, making it clear that I have done nothing wrong, and that their bullying behaviour is unacceptable and not in the spirit of fair competition. And I would also publish my letter, as an example for others to fight this bullying behaviour.

Go ahead, Seven Towns, just try me - I love a good David vs Goliath fight, and I'm smarter and more determined than any lawyer you can afford to hire! :twisted:

Last edited by KelvinS on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:20 am 

The "Rubik's" brand is very valuable these days and licensing its use from Seven Towns is not cheap. It is in Seven Town's best interests (and those of the companies who license the brand from them) to protect it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:29 am 

Volitar Prime wrote:
The "Rubik's" brand is very valuable these days and licensing its use from Seven Towns is not cheap. It is in Seven Town's best interests (and those of the companies who license the brand from them) to protect it.

Agreed, but that doesn't change a single thing about what I said.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:26 am 

Volitar Prime wrote:

Virtually erasing the word Rubik from the internet will do them no good whatsoever. The very fact that we all use it is hugely beneficial to their business. I am sure other companies would pay millions to be in such a position. May I suggest in future everyone uses the term "Tony Fisher type puzzle". I promise I won't sue.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:43 am 

In any case, why do established companies (not just Seven Towns) spend so much time and effort on the defensive, trying to protect what they already have, rather than developing new products from which we can all benefit? They all deserve to go the way of Kodak.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:51 am 

I guess "Mefferts type puzzle" will be the way to go and certainly hope he benefits from it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:27 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I guess "Mefferts type puzzle" will be the way to go and certainly hope he benefits from it.
Why not just use twisty puzzle?
It better discribes the puzzle anyway, and a lot of people are already familiar with the term...
I mean if there is ever any term that has a chance of replacing "Rubiks type puzzle" I think that's "twisty puzzle".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:09 pm 

I like the term "magic cube" as the generic term for cubic twisty puzzles. I think it has been pretty well established in one of the larger puzzle markets. :mrgreen:

Yes, the company is taking it too far, like Unisys and Graphics Interchange Format (GIF). Perhaps someone knowledgeable can describe the relationship between WCA and Seven Towns.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:14 am 

pooya13 wrote:
Why not just use twisty puzzle?
It better discribes the puzzle anyway, and a lot of people are already familiar with the term...
I mean if there is ever any term that has a chance of replacing "Rubiks type puzzle" I think that's "twisty puzzle".

Exactly.

To me, those types of puzzles were, are, and will always be "twisty".

And to be honest, the brand name "Rubik" should really represent
only the cube, because over the years there has been too much
confusion with other puzzles (and by that I do not mean exclusivity
even for the cube, as today there are new better technologies).

Besides, the name of this forum is itself an excellent hint, isn't it?
Obviously, Sandy picked up the most catchy name anyone of us could get.

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:23 am 

How about Combinatorial Rotating Axis Puzzle? :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:47 am 

Regarding the colour scheme issue I wonder if the puzzles could simply be sent scrambled? What we would call a scrambled cube in reality is just a cube with an untidy sticker arrangement. Perhaps there are several quintillion ways of avoid puzzles being destroyed at customs in the unlikely event they are stopped anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:48 am 

KelvinS wrote:

Kelvin, stop mesmerizing me!!! (aaaargh... I *do* prefer complex definitions)

:lol:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:25 am 

kastellorizo wrote:
KelvinS wrote:

Pantazis

Or we could just abbreviate it. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:39 am 

KelvinS wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:
KelvinS wrote:

Pantazis

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pantazis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:51 am 

KelvinS wrote:
kastellorizo wrote:
KelvinS wrote:

Pantazis

:lol: I see what you did there. C.R.A.P.

Yeah the term "twisty puzzles" is still the best too.

I mean Seven Towns have to protect the brand, but I still don't see why they want to go out on an all-out suing campaign. All they're going to do is pretty much crush the puzzling community, which as Tony Fisher has said:
Tony Fisher wrote:
Virtually erasing the word Rubik from the internet will do them no good whatsoever. The very fact that we all use it is hugely beneficial to their business. I am sure other companies would pay millions to be in such a position.

It's not as if the puzzling community is actively trying to do away with the Rubik's brand like what they are doing now, right?

(I don't come here often, so sorry if I sound like a noob. :oops: )

But anyone can see it a mile away with those colours!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:59 am 

David Chua wrote:
:lol: I see what you did there. C.R.A.P.

Usually we try to be a little more subtle. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:04 pm 

Honestly, it would be great if the term twisty puzzle became common enough that the typical non-puzzler knows what one is talking about when they use the term, but natural selection seems to be leaning towards the Generification of the Rubik's trademark, and some of what Seven Towns seems to be doing goes well beyond protecting their trademark into the realm of abusing IP Laws.

Also, I think it down right shameful that customs has the authority to destroy a package under any circumstance. Its bad enough that they violate the privacy of people by inspecting the contents of packages without adding destruction of property to their list of legal crimes.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:22 pm 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Its bad enough that they violate the privacy of people by inspecting the contents of packages without adding destruction of property to their list of legal crimes.

Ha ha, don't get me on to customs, they are a law unto themselves. Slightly off topic, there are people who have had their cars destroyed because they were carrying slightly over the recommended limits of tobacco. Yes, "recommended" levels.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:20 pm 

Does anyone knows if 7Towns ever lost a court case?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:44 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Regarding the colour scheme issue I wonder if the puzzles could simply be sent scrambled? What we would call a scrambled cube in reality is just a cube with an untidy sticker arrangement. Perhaps there are several quintillion ways of avoid puzzles being destroyed at customs in the unlikely event they are stopped anyway.

I'm going to step away for a second with a reference to something that someone I know who is familiar with the issue once said (I'm not saying who in case I get it wrong). According to this person, some companies have been able to get past copyright law restrictions (I wouldn't say patent law because it doesn't make sense) simply by packaging their puzzle with one side turned halfway...I could be inaccurate or simply wrong though.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.