Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:48 pm
Lets play a game. We think of one thing that we own, and describe how the world would be without it being invented, or it existing. Then others share their view about what they think it would be like without that object. The goal is to find the one object that won't change the world drastically.


I'll start with an "Employee of the Month" award/certificate.

If we didn't have this, everyone would feel better about themselves, and not compete to get this title. Businesses would be more efficient, and could improve the chances of getting along better with others.


One thing I should note; lets keep politics and religion out :)

_________________
I should probably find a better signature....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:37 pm
NXTgen wrote:
Lets play a game. We think of one thing that we own, and describe how the world would be without it being invented, or it existing. Then others share their view about what they think it would be like without that object. The goal is to find the one object that won't change the world drastically.


I'll start with an "Employee of the Month" award/certificate.

If we didn't have this, everyone would feel better about themselves, and not compete to get this title. Businesses would be more efficient, and could improve the chances of getting along better with others.

I think business would be less efficient. Competition is a good thing and encourages people to work harder.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Tony Fisher wrote:
NXTgen wrote:
Lets play a game. We think of one thing that we own, and describe how the world would be without it being invented, or it existing. Then others share their view about what they think it would be like without that object. The goal is to find the one object that won't change the world drastically.


I'll start with an "Employee of the Month" award/certificate.

If we didn't have this, everyone would feel better about themselves, and not compete to get this title. Businesses would be more efficient, and could improve the chances of getting along better with others.

I think business would be less efficient. Competition is a good thing and encourages people to work harder.


I agree. Removing rewards for good individual behavior in the interest of "common morale" tends to backfire and lower overall performance. The same rationale is used to remove honor roles in schools; that having them makes other students "feel bad" for not getting on them. Removing incentive lowers motivation.

(How about Rubik's cubes? Hah)

_________________
Image
My YouTube Channel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:48 pm
Well without Rubik's cubes, we wouldn't be here would we :lol:

But I do see the concern about motivation. It just makes some people feel bad for getting it, and someone else didn't (as in my case)

_________________
I should probably find a better signature....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
The world would be horrible without cell phones.

I remember very well the exquisite pain of agreeing to meet my wife at a particular time and place, and only one of us being there. What to do next?

You don't know if they are simply late, if they forgot, where they might be, or may be going. Should you leave to check some other place (say, home) where they *might* be? If so and they are late, they won't find you then they will be in the same situation. How to find them?
If *you* are the late one, should you blindly continue on assuming they haven't given up and gone home (or elsewhere)? Are you just wasting further time headed to a meeting you've likely made irrelevant?

It was a nightmare.

If you don't already, you should wake up each and every day basking in the glory that is cheap and ubiquitous wireless communication.

Dave

_________________
Image
LitwinPuzzles.com has info on my puzzles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
Tony Fisher wrote:
NXTgen wrote:
I'll start with an "Employee of the Month" award/certificate.

If we didn't have this, everyone would feel better about themselves, and not compete to get this title. Businesses would be more efficient, and could improve the chances of getting along better with others.

I think business would be less efficient. Competition is a good thing and encourages people to work harder.

True, but you can also create a fair bit of competition by firing the worst employee each month. And it's more fun to watch (and also cheaper) than handing out some award or certificate. :lol:

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:37 pm
What about capital letters? Would we really lose anything if they had not been invented? I have always considered them rather unnecessary. Are non-physical things allowed in this game?

_________________
PBs:single/Ao5/Ao12
3x3: 4.76/8.13/8.80
pyraminx: 0.89/1.87/2.19
4x4:36.50/45.59
5x5: 1:21.50/1:41.50
7x7: 4:10.50


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:07 am
Location: Germany, Bavaria
X-TownCuber wrote:
What about capital letters? Would we really lose anything if they had not been invented? I have always considered them rather unnecessary. Are non-physical things allowed in this game?
At least in German, reading becomes more difficult without capital letters. In English you have far less, anyway. :wink:

_________________
My collection at: http://sites.google.com/site/twistykon/home


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
Konrad wrote:
X-TownCuber wrote:
What about capital letters? Would we really lose anything if they had not been invented? I have always considered them rather unnecessary. Are non-physical things allowed in this game?
At least in German, reading becomes more difficult without capital letters. In English you have far less, anyway. :wink:

That's because there are no spaces in German - all the words are just strung together into one long, giganormous word. :lol:

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:18 am
^Huh? I only had one semester of German, but I remember there being plenty of spaces between words, though I think it is true that German is less restrictive with making long compounds, but I digress, in English, Capitals do little other than mark the beginning of sentences and proper nouns, so I do not see the loss of case as that crucial. Then again, all caps is the only form of adding emphasis to text without use of non-standard punctuation that carry overs well to a screen reader.

As for Employee of the Month Awards, I would say that cooperation and group results are often more important than individual results in the workplace, so perhaps it would be better to provide incentives to encourage teamwork and horizontal delegation of tasks.

Also, a world without Rubik's cubes would be scary, as would a world without cell phones(though I would hardly call most cell phone service cheap).

_________________
Just so you know, I am blind.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:07 am
Location: Germany, Bavaria
A few days ago I read the Gilgamesh epic in a German translation without any capitalization.
I really felt that the text was hard to read and I was disappointed, somehow.
And what is gained really if I write: "a few days ago i read the gilgamesh epic in a german translation without any capitalization" :wink: (Most people here probably think that I made a typo and it should read Giga-Mesh :lol: , anyway.)

_________________
My collection at: http://sites.google.com/site/twistykon/home


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Pittsburgh
The world would be LOUD without headphones.

_________________
3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:00 pm
I don't have anything to add, but...

DLitwin wrote:
The world would be horrible without cell phones.

I remember very well the exquisite pain of agreeing to meet my wife at a particular time and place, and only one of us being there. What to do next?

You don't know if they are simply late, if they forgot, where they might be, or may be going. Should you leave to check some other place (say, home) where they *might* be? If so and they are late, they won't find you then they will be in the same situation. How to find them?
If *you* are the late one, should you blindly continue on assuming they haven't given up and gone home (or elsewhere)? Are you just wasting further time headed to a meeting you've likely made irrelevant?

It was a nightmare.

If you don't already, you should wake up each and every day basking in the glory that is cheap and ubiquitous wireless communication.

Dave


...this post had me crying laughing.

That's comedic gold, Dave.

_________________
Sanity is only the commonly accepted level of insanity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:18 am
^Yes, there are plenty of situations that are miserable from the perspective of the person involved in the situation, but absolutely hilarious from the perspective of an outside observer. In fact, the situation described above is probably a named trope of the sitcom genre, albeit one that has been rendered obsolete by the cell phone(though granted, their are plenty of ways in which a cell phone can be rendered useless to the participant's misery and the observers entertainment).

Which brings me to a statement relevant to the topic title: The world would be a lot more boring if comedy writers could never torment their characters for the audience's amusement.

_________________
Just so you know, I am blind.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:10 pm
Location: Rochester, NY
The world would be Interesting and boring without Panagiotis Verdes's genius.

_________________
I'm not sub 20 yet. I want a 3x4x5.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
The world (at least the TP world) would all make sense (and thus be very boring) without Oskar!

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:48 pm
There isn't a single day I don't think about Oskar in some way. And when I show peers what Oskar has printed, they usually are in awe. The was a day (3 days ago to be specific) when a peer claimed their Grandfather owns a fully functional 20x20 (Proportional, because I ask if the pieces are the same size) and I then bring up Oskar's 17x17 and say how nothing has more layers than this at the moment. Then they assume that a 16x16 has been made, and so far it hasn't, they then complain that it hasn't and say if a 17x17 does, why doesn't a 16x16.

It makes me a little irritated when they complain, but since most are not as knowledgeable about the mechanics and rules of twisty puzzles, I let it go.

I think "The world would be better without the lack of understanding of the way things work."

It's like a computer; The user does stuff on it, and the computer does it. It's when they think "how does this work?" that gets them to understand better. For example: an HDD (Standard Hard drive SATA or IDE (PATA technically but that's another story)) versus a SSD (Solid State Drive). You ask a general user, one with minimal knowledge, what kind of drive they have, "Is it a HDD or SSD?" The usual response I get is "I don't know." or "What's an SSD?"

The way the drives work are different, yet they do the same thing. (Honestly, I'm still curious how we are able to use electrons to do things like carry data, project a pattern to a screen, send signals from input and output, etc. without there being a mess of pixels and colour and data everywhere)

I've been sick lately (not major, just a cold after my voice and throat came back from just being hissing sounds and pain) and have been reading up on lots of things in the tech area. The amount I've been reading is ridiculous (think two 500 page books with 11 point font) which is ironic seeing that I don't usually read anything unless it's something concerning. I read at college level, but have never read a book from front to back, including children's books :oops: .

Anyway, If everyone had a better understanding of how things worked, and the limitations involved, I think the world would be much nicer.

_________________
I should probably find a better signature....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:04 pm
Location: USA
NXTgen wrote:
I think "The world would be better without the lack of understanding of the way things work."


The world would be boring without learning how things work... :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm
NXTgen wrote:
If everyone had a better understanding of how things worked, and the limitations involved, I think the world would be much nicer.

I'm not so sure. To me it's the *process* of discovery, learning and understanding that makes the world so interesting and meaningful, not the understanding itself.

In the same way, I think it's a shame that we already have a complete map of the world. I would have loved to live at a time when nobody knew what lies beyond the horizon...

Once we know and understand everything, life would be very boring.

_________________
If you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done - Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 8:50 am
Location: chicago, IL area U.S.A
KelvinS wrote:
In the same way, I think it's a shame that we already have a complete map of the world. I would have loved to live at a time when nobody knew what lies beyond the horizon...

We still have big gaps in knowledge about the world, especially the oceans.

The world would be much different without the moon.

-d


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Jarrow, England
darryl wrote:
The world would be much different without the moon.
See Isaac Asimov's book The Tragedy of the Moon which also contains the essay The Triumph of the Moon!

_________________
My Shapeways Shop: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/gus_shop

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The world would be ______ without...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:10 pm
Is the goal to point out the most important aspect of the world? If so I'm going to say language. The world would be dead without language. We use it for absolutely everything, it is crucial to scientific advancement, it is the vessel of music and literature, and it ties people together on a spiritual level to communicate. You may say that other animals communicate without language but I would retort none of these animals has ever been capable of science.

If the goal is to point out the least important facet of existence it would be stick on googley eyes. The world would be perfectly fine if nobody ever put fake eyes on a drawing of a happy face ever again.

_________________
My budding baby blog, Twisted Interests!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group