Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Eight Inch Bolt by Oskar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:21 pm 

Am I the only person who clicked on the link in his description?
Oskar wrote:
Hi Twisty Puzzles fans,
...Another copy of this puzzle is on permanent display at the Kinsey Institute in Bloomington, Indiana....
That might have something to do with his motivation to build the puzzle.
The ring seems to be "the cover" to assure the safety of your puzzles. And prevent having unwanted mini puzzles or getting the puzzle AIDS.
So I think the puzzle was made to promote safe puzzling.
I really don't know how to be subtle about this :?
Don't kids learn about healthy and safe "puzzling" in school anyway?

But in any case I think his intentions don't make a difference.
The fact that pictures and the video of a "cylindrical shaped puzzle" are censored and are found "offensive" by some people is beyond my comprehension :D
(This is not to say that they are wrong to do so, it's merely the expression of what I can and can not comprehend!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:06 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:
From this post I assume you believe the story about the red end?
Maybe I'm being naive but I'd say yes. I prefer to give everyone the benifit of the doubt until they give me reason not to. The alternative here is to assume Oskar lied (and yes maybe he did... considering the topic I can see why he might) but his story is certainly plausible so why doubt it?

No offence but I think you are being incredibly naive if you think Oskar did all this without deliberately making it suggestive. The clever part is that some are still doubting it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:24 pm 

pooya13 wrote:
Am I the only person who clicked on the link in his description?
Oskar wrote:
Hi Twisty Puzzles fans,
...Another copy of this puzzle is on permanent display at the Kinsey Institute in Bloomington, Indiana....
Wow!!! I read that and saw the last picture in the post and I think I just saw puzzle on display in Indiana and my mind assumed we were talking about this collection:

http://www.indiana.edu/~liblilly/collections/overview/puzzles.shtml

Now having taken a closer look at that last picture in the first post and seeing some of the things in the background its VERY clear this is a VERY different collection.
Tony Fisher wrote:
No offence but I think you are being incredibly naive if you think Oskar did all this without deliberately making it suggestive.
I take back what I said... yes... its now clear I wasn't being just naive... I was rather dense as well.

So yes... hide something in plain sight and I'm sure to miss it.

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:45 pm 

Gentlemen,

Let's not give MeMyselfAndPi any trouble for having his perspective and voicing it in a polite fashion on his own YouTube channel. There are many different views on such matters and even differences in what is considered acceptable in different parts of the world. Not everyone has to appreciate this but I and the moderators have not come to the exact same decisions as YouTube or Shapeways on this matter.

The moderators and I have made a few edits where we felt this thread had left the range of good natured commentary and would prefer if we can keep it on the happier side of things. This recent set of posts has, however, been pushing in directions we perhaps would prefer to avoid.

Knowing both Oskar and George I can say I happen to personally appreciate their sense of humor and saw nothing unintentional about this, but that's just my view. Let's please not detract from this thread further by branching off topic or into unresolvable debates. Sadly, I've seen relatively little discussion regarding the actual puzzle in question as all attention has been drawn elsewhere.

Dave :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:28 am 

Ah, so this explains the bizarre comments I've been getting on my related videos -- I think some users have accidentally posted comments intended for one of the other videos.

My videos (here and here are about accessories for 8 Inch Bolt, there's no suggestive innuendo, and my copy doesn't have a red end, yet someone posted "People are going nuts...because that thing looks like a penis." Another said "so it realy run out of black material?" even though my video doesn't mention anything like that.

Some of the elaborate "plots" are a bit farfetched, such as the suggestion that the puzzle promotes safe-sex education etc, etc. Sure Oskar has encouraged the fun, but Oskar hasn't gone as far overboard as he could have. In fact I contend the puzzle contains a built-in clue that the puzzle could have been given a far more suggestive title, and possibly was renamed 8-Inch Bolt to be a bit less edgy. Seriously, has no one yet noticed Oskar's 8-Inch Bolt isn't themed after a bolt?

Attachments:
File comment: Alternate view of Oskar's 8-Inch Bolt with my own nut accessories. Rubik's Cube for scale.
IMG_7462.JPG
IMG_7462.JPG [ 190.95 KiB | Viewed 2069 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:56 am 

VeryWetPaint wrote:
Seriously, has no one yet noticed Oskar's 8-Inch Bolt isn't themed after a bolt?

I did after I saw the pics I said "that's not a bolt...looks more like a screw!" :lol:

Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:57 am 

KelvinS wrote:
(1) he comes from one of the most liberal countries and cultures in the world when it comes to sexual expression;

Maybe this street art (sculpture) inspired Oskar...

Beware: people can be offended by this openly art.

FYI: the ball is dropped 1 km further...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:25 am 

DLitwin wrote:
Sadly, I've seen relatively little discussion regarding the actual puzzle in question as all attention has been drawn elsewhere.
I personally really like puzzles that make use of hysteresis. I typically think of them as multi-state mazes which this is... just wrapped around a cylinder.

I'm curious... could this be made to look much more like an actual nut and bolt.

Attachment:
Bolt.png
Bolt.png [ 222.99 KiB | Viewed 1951 times ]

The nut could be threaded and the maze cut deeper then the threads. And instead of just sliding the nut up and down you actually turned the bolt to get it to go up and down on the threads. The ring which enganged the maze would still be free to turn on its own inside the bolt. If this would work I think it would take the dexterity element out of the solution as the solution could be written in the form of turn x-degree clockwise, then y-degrees counter clockwise, then z-degrees clockwise, etc. I think it would make a much more "family friendly" puzzle and you could even used it as a locking nut and bolt if you wanted to. Only thing I'm not sure about is if there would be enough of the threads left after the maze was added for the nut to actually function as a nut.

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:20 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
The nut could be threaded and the maze cut deeper then the threads. And instead of just sliding the nut up and down you actually turned the bolt to get it to go up and down on the threads. The ring which enganged the maze would still be free to turn on its own inside the bolt. If this would work I think it would take the dexterity element out of the solution as the solution could be written in the form of turn x-degree clockwise, then y-degrees counter clockwise, then z-degrees clockwise, etc. I think it would make a much more "family friendly" puzzle and you could even used it as a locking nut and bolt if you wanted to. Only thing I'm not sure about is if there would be enough of the threads left after the maze was added for the nut to actually function as a nut.

Carl

It's getting off the topic, but it's interesting because I've separately mused with the idea of 1) a threaded-bolt puzzle with some sort of state mechanism inside the nut, and 2) a helical hysteresis maze themed like a lipstick. But those were separate ideas, I didn't think of combining them into a single puzzle.

But I would prescribe inverting your idea: put the continuous thread at the bottom and put the maze onto the peaks of the threads. Here's a proof-of-concept model that demonstrates that information can be encoded (or rather modulated) into the peaks of threads without disturbing the underlying thread structure. In this instance the 'information' is simply a guide to make the nut go the wrong way, a bit like Jerry Slocum's Its' Nuts exchange puzzle but using a totally different premise.

If you think it's worth exploring these ideas I'll take it to a new thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:39 pm 

VeryWetPaint wrote:
But I would prescribe inverting your idea: put the continuous thread at the bottom and put the maze onto the peaks of the threads. Here's a proof-of-concept model that demonstrates that information can be encoded (or rather modulated) into the peaks of threads without disturbing the underlying thread structure. In this instance the 'information' is simply a guide to make the nut go the wrong way, a bit like Jerry Slocum's Its' Nuts exchange puzzle but using a totally different premise.

If you think it's worth exploring these ideas I'll take it to a new thread.
Yes, please do. I actually have an Its' Nuts puzzle. However I don't see how the maze could be encoded into the top of the threads in this case. Wouldn't the ring which engages the maze be free to turn on its own when ever the point where it contacted the maze was between threads?

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:15 pm 

It looks like Oskar did again. Soon we might run out of duct tape.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:53 am 

Ok guys... I had backed up for too long, but believe I need to finally add in some old puzzle information
from the 60's. The puzzle is called... "Screw Loose!"

here is my entire... box!

Attachment:
screw_loose.jpg
screw_loose.jpg [ 183.76 KiB | Viewed 1790 times ]

The puzzle does not just go up and down, directionally, left and right.
If you haven't realised it yet,
I cannot even describe it any more without causing unwanted innuendos!!! (you got to feel me here,
I am just a Greek boy!)

:mrgreen: :lol:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:26 am 

Ok, I had to log in kastellorizo has me cracking up. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:16 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
Ok guys... I had backed up for too long, but believe I need to finally add in some old puzzle information
from the 60's. The puzzle is called... "Screw Loose!"

here is my entire... box!

Attachment:
screw_loose.jpg
The puzzle does not just go up and down, it needs to go directionally, left and right.
If you haven't realised it yet, I cannot even describe it any more without causing unwanted innuendos!!! (you got to feel me here,
I am just a Greek boy!)

:mrgreen: :lol:

Pantazis

1 This is my new favorite thread!
2 Like the puzzle in the pic....pantazis has a screw loose too. :lol: (which is ok cause mine all fell out long ago)
And
3 There is nothing wrong with either puzzle! Just because it looks the way it does (or doesn't) does not mean we all have to like it or dislike it. Some times we all have to loosen up a bit a be a little crazy(nuts, insane, weird, daring, adult etc...) I'm pretty sure no one was hurt by the bolt that Oscar made(unless kelvin sat on it?) :wink:

Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:48 pm 

CrazyBadCuber has just posted a video on his YouTube channel where he interviews Oskar about his life, work, puzzles and the now infamous video. Very interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:51 pm 

Well for many (and I'll place myself in this group) this has been quite a bit of fun but I was serious when I mentioned we'd like to keep things subtle given our varied audiences. It seems the definition of "subtle" is not universally agreed upon and so some minor (no pun intended) editing was done. Please believe we don't enjoy it.

Please let's all try our best going forward. I'll attempt to honor my own request here by offering only a kind suggestion to Oskar:

Oskar, please talk to clauswe about exchanging the top part of your puzzle with the top part of the KRANZ (bottom picture). Perhaps this will minimize further controversy.

Dave

P.S. And in case you were tempted: No. Under no circumstances will I allow any posts in the PAW thread about the resemblance between these two objects. Don't even think about it ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:53 am 

DLitwin wrote:
Oskar, please talk to clauswe about exchanging the top part of your puzzle with the top part of the KRANZ (bottom picture). Perhaps this will minimize further controversy. Dave
P.S. And in case you were tempted: No. Under no circumstances will I allow any posts in the PAW thread about the resemblance between these two objects. Don't even think about it ;)

Mmmm.... I don't see how changing the top will do it any good
Attachment:
File comment: 8 inch bolt with PAW
8 inch bolt with PAW.jpg
8 inch bolt with PAW.jpg [ 216.41 KiB | Viewed 1549 times ]

Disclaimer: this post is not in the PAW-thread