Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ukraine's Got Talent
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:30 pm 

All,

A friend and former co-worker just sent me these links via Linkedin, he said he knew I liked puzzles and that these videos were in Russian but that I would understand what was happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egRbGdg0wkw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7DByo6KWI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN46KsjUUa8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7BoCOF85K8

These blew my socks of. I have NO idea of what is being said and I can think of ways that would make this much easier to do but I don't know if they were used here or not.

For example in the first video it appears there 100 randomly scrambled Rubik's Cubes and that he has them all memorized as it appears the judges pick one and he solves it blindfolded without studying the cube. But couldn't all 100 be the same scramble just applied to the cube with different colors facing up and forward. Say the number picked could contain enough information to tell him how to orient the puzzle before he starts his solve.

And the videos where he makes the pictures... each cube could easily have the same scramble applied to it and no one would ever notice.

Still very impressive.

In the second video it appears he makes an error on the first Megaminx and gives up. Is that actually what happens? Not knowing Russian I can't tell.

Enjoy,
Carl

Post subject: Re: Russia's Got Talent
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:12 pm 

These are all fake. It has been thoroughly discussed on the speedsolving forum. The blind solves have ridiculously low move count and are very repetitive/easy to remember. His WCA profile shows that he solves a 4x4 in about 2:30, yet he "solves" an 11x11 in about that time. btw, on the first megaminx he said something about how the assistant gave it to him in the wrong orientation. Fake, fake, fake.

4x4:36.50/45.59
5x5: 1:21.50/1:41.50
7x7: 4:10.50

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:20 pm 

Actually, it's Ukraine, not Russia. In the videos they speak both Russian and Ukrainian.

Anyhow, I am feeling somewhat ambivalent about this. Yet I wouldn't go as far as to call it a fake. It's a show, after all. You can't spend over an hour solving an 11x11 on the show.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:40 pm 

I call it fake because he said "I will solve a 7x7 blindfolded," instead he executed an extremely short sequence of moves to fool the audience. To win a talent show, you should have to have talent. This guy's only talent is showmanship.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:07 pm 

Is that 7x7x7 art thing even possible? It seemed like there were a lot of white stickers showing. Even if this is fake it's still pretty cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 pm 

I really hate it when somebody does that. It includes the multiBLD WR holder Maskow:

http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showt ... Got-Talent

Maskow appeared to be able to blindfold solve twenty different cubes using 20 moves, because "the god number is shown to be 20". Certainly this is fake, but since then, I don't trust any unofficial solves made by Maskow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:28 pm 

Watching the second one, it's super clear on the 2nd megaminx and the large cube that he just memorized it. It's sickening to watch him scam the judges and audience into thinking he's some genius when he's nothing more than a charlatan.

Post subject: Re: Ukraine's Got Talent
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:03 am 

there is another video - this is the final (Maxim took second place): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jf58PHubls
Maxim said in his speech: his aim to attract many people to the SpeedCubing, but not to win the competition.
He did it very well! his performance looked many millions of people ...

ps
pease fix topic: Ukraine's Got Talent [Admin: Fixed]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:42 pm 

All,

Thanks for the information and correction. However I am surprised by the "negative tone" of some of the responses. I suspected some (or even most) of this could have been more showmanship then actual solving skill. Clearly that 11x11x11 wasn't even fully scrambled before he started his solve. But I view anything that get's our twisty puzzles out in the main stream as a good thing.

I sort of look at this as a magic show. Clearly if you know how the trick is performed you can call "fake" but even if you don't know how its done its still just a trick. In this case, we know twisty puzzles well enough that we can see (or at least suspect) how he's doing what he's doing. But to the general public... this must seem like magic.

In my book, its entertaining and seeing the stucture of these Got Talent programs its more about showmanship than anything else. As was said earlier someone solving a fully scrambed 11x11x11 just doesn't make good television.

Maybe I'm being more forgiving as I don't understand what is being said...
Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:38 pm 

To me, the difference between this and a magic show is that people always know that a magic show is fake. No matter how impossible it seems, everyone knows that you can't pull a rabbit out of a hat. In this performance Maxim led the audience to believe that he can actually do all of those things. A magician on this show would say "Look how I can trick you and make it look like I can actually do this." Maxim is saying "I can actually do these things."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:54 pm 

X-TownCuber wrote:
In this performance Maxim led the audience to believe that he can actually do all of those things. A magician on this show would say "Look how I can trick you and make it look like I can actually do this." Maxim is saying "I can actually do these things."
I seem to recall magicians making statements like... "And now I'll make the Statute of Liberty disappear". Not "And now I'll make you think I can make the Statue of Liberty disappear." Buy yes there is certainly an element of deception here but its certainly not uncommon with many types of showmanship.

That being said I didn't know the name of this performer until I read it here. And the things Maxim claims he's able to do are certainly within the realm of possibility I believe. Let's for the benefit of the doubt assume he can do most of what he claims. Even if he can solve a 7x7x7 blindfolded and even assuming he did all his studying before the camera rolled I could seeing it taking long enough that it wouldn't make good TV. He's basically in a position where he's asked to do something as impressive as possible in 5 minutes or so. Its clearly a performance and even if one could do everything Maxim claims to be able to do I could still see the "performance" being set up as it was.

To me it seems the magician is being more deceptive when he claims he can fly when clearly he can't... however he may be very good at making it look like he can fly. Here Maxim claims he can perform certain feats and to the trained eye its clear he's cutting corners but I wouldn't be surprised if he could actually do some of this. The corners may be just getting cut to make for a faster and more awe inspiring performance to a crowd of untrained eyes. Is that the case? I honestly don't have a clue... I can't even understand Ukraine so I'm not even certain what exactly it is that he claims so I'm taking your word for it.

Still it doesn't seem to be something that is worthy to get upset or negative over. The Twisty puzzle community is usually one of the most positive and supportive communities that I know. And I for one enjoyed Maxim's performance when clearly I see much of it was staged. Though I'm also the type to really enjoy magic shows where they show you how the trick was performed.

Just my 2 cents...
Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:04 pm 

Having just re-watched the final video, I don't think it's possible with regular cubes. In the second row on top the third cube from the right (when it's the woman's face) has a cube that is just the white face. When it turns it is now the third from the left, and among other things, there are two more white corners. If it has cubes that have been restickered then I don't see why I should believe the rest of it. It's still fun to watch and the music makes it seem world changing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:11 pm 

The magician says "I can fly," but everyone knows he is lying. No one can fly. Everyone knows that it's showmanship. Maxim has not told anyone that solving an 11x11 in that amount of time is impossible. Also note that Simon Westlund (Megaminx WR holder) won "Sweden's Got Talent" using skills he actually has, and without lying to the audience. (I think it was Sweden anyway :p)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:56 pm 

X-TownCuber wrote:
The magician says "I can fly," but everyone knows he is lying. No one can fly. Everyone knows that it's showmanship.
Oh I certainly wouldn't say everyone. Though I certainly hope that is true for the Majority. Back in junior high (talking the early 80's) I went to school and I was very good friends with a family which went to one of the non main stream religions. Their whole congregation believed David Coperfield was evil and in cahoots with demons. The kids were actually some of my best friends and I'm still in touch with one of them today. Trust me I tried to tell them it was all fake but their parents refused to let them even watch any of his specials and they were genuinely worried about me watching his specials myself. These were genuinely kind and caring people who weren't idiots but their religious beliefs certainly made me sad at times. And yes the one I still know today is still in that church. I'm not really wanting to get into religion so I'll leave out the name of their church. And while I'm sure they are the minority I'm aware there are many that believe in voodoo, demons, and the like.

Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:11 pm 

X-TownCuber wrote:
Also note that Simon Westlund (Megaminx WR holder) won "Sweden's Got Talent" using skills he actually has, and without lying to the audience. (I think it was Sweden anyway :p)
Could you post links to videos? Sounds like something that should be fun to watch.

Thanks for the discussion.
Carl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:22 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqPr5uD-FUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhWla1keQWI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqPr5uD-
I think there are more, you can find a lot of them by youtube searching for "Simon Westlund Talang" (Talang=Sweden's Got Talent)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:33 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
… Back in junior high (talking the early 80's) I went to school and I was very good friends with a family which went to one of the non main stream religions. Their whole congregation believed David Coperfield was evil and in cahoots with demons.

So they also believed that Claudia Schiffer was a witch? Fantastic.

Roberto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:13 am 

I dont care for any reason you would accuse him of being "fake", maybe it was. I am not saying it isnt.
but for cubing to make it anywhere in a talent show - THIS was amazing! so greatly put together! so well executed! and on top - the final was a true jaw dropper.
just saying

mind = blown

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:06 pm 

X-TownCuber wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqPr5uD-FUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhWla1keQWI

I think there are more, you can find a lot of them by youtube searching for "Simon Westlund Talang" (Talang=Sweden's Got Talent)
Thanks... I just got around to watching these. They are great! Thanks for sharing.

Carl