Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sphere 612
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:25 am 

After some more time I finally would like to present Sphere 612. As the name says, it is gelatinbrain's 6.1.2. I actually think it is fine as a name. Many will probably disagree as it is a terrible name. But I want it to be a tribute to gelatinbrain's idea. It is not as straight foreward to think up as a platonic solid with a certain depth of cut about vertice, edge or face.
Sphere 612 has very shallow cuts, which itself is not a problem. However since there are cutplanes through all the pieces at angles of 45° as well, there wasn't much choice of how deep the shell needed to be.
Deeper shell results in very small hidden corner pieces (those that are infact attached to the core). Shallower resulted in smaller feet of the 48 small triangles.
The first version worked well but was a little loose and way to small for my likes and stability. So a second version was created. The first small one actually has a larger diameter of a normal 3x3x3 cube (60mm) but appears MUCH smaller due to the spherical form. The second one is 75mm which sounds large but is a good size for the puzzle.

PROBLEMS WITH THE DESIGN:
Breakin in of the second version took a loooong time. It didn't move at all at first. I think the problem is the fixed corner pieces. They can't "sink" into the core during the breaking in process. All other pieces have a tolerance to the surface of the spherical core and during breaking in the tension is adjusted. The corner pieces start being more and more of a bump during the turns.
Still I wonder if loose corner pieces that are just hidden in there would do for better stability. Maybe someone has experience to tell? I would greatly apreciate advice.
Stickering the faces is difficult. I tried a big patch and it was horrible. I tried an outline but it didn't work either. I then cut small circles and they are still to big to cover the curviture. Maybe with a hair dryer it would work?

THANKS
goes to Olivér for the beautiful stickers and NXTgen for discussing the mechanism a little, even though I didn't listen to his advice in the end. :roll: :P
And of course to gelatinbrain for his gelatin brain.

Now pictures:
Attachment:
DSC_0119.jpg
DSC_0119.jpg [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 1376 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0121.jpg
DSC_0121.jpg [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 1376 times ]

Mixed up a little with shape change but WITHOUT jumbling (this is what you can do with gleatinbrain's applet):
Attachment:
DSC_0122.jpg
DSC_0122.jpg [ 876.59 KiB | Viewed 1376 times ]

Mixed up to same degree WITH jumbling (the bottom and right face are blocked, which does not happen in the applet):
Attachment:
DSC_0123.jpg
DSC_0123.jpg [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 1376 times ]

Size comparison of 57mm cube, 60mm sphere and 75mm sphere:
Attachment:
DSC_0124.jpg
DSC_0124.jpg [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 1376 times ]

artistic still life:
Attachment:
DSC_0092.jpg
DSC_0092.jpg [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 1376 times ]

mechanism picture:
Attachment:
sphere mech.jpg
sphere mech.jpg [ 178.94 KiB | Viewed 1367 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sphere 612
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:20 am 

Nice puzzle and I think the name is OK. Why did you choose 6.1.2 for your design? As for the stickers, you could try a hair dryer to make them fit the curve, but I doubt it would work if you used giant ones to cover the whole surface. The only other way is to dye the pieces, but then you would have to have split caps for some of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:16 am 

This is really amazing. Great job! Personally I would recommend leaving those corner pieces floating, but also using 2 layers of grooves (1 shallower cut, and 1 deeper cut) to keep them stable.
Seriously, more gelatinbrain puzzles like this NEED to be made... :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:33 pm 

benpuzzles wrote:
This is really amazing. Great job! Personally I would recommend leaving those corner pieces floating, but also using 2 layers of grooves (1 shallower cut, and 1 deeper cut) to keep them stable.
Seriously, more gelatinbrain puzzles like this NEED to be made... :roll:

If you mean a common shell mechanism with two "steps" I tried that. Here is what I had

Attachment:
commonmech1.jpg
commonmech1.jpg [ 285.47 KiB | Viewed 1242 times ]

Attachment:
commonmech2.jpg
commonmech2.jpg [ 294.4 KiB | Viewed 1242 times ]

It's either going to make the corners unstable or the little pieces. What I did not consider is using this type of mech and then just delete the corner stem and make these lie in there without connection. I need to make clear that these do not move. That is why they are attached to the core. I never saw a puzzle where hidden pieces are stationary and floating. That seemed weird.
I should mention that NXTgen advised me to let them float and I decided against that. :roll:

Also making the inner spherical plane deeper or closer to the surface would worsen one of the parts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:38 pm 

Beautiful! It looks even better than on Gelatinbrain.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:46 pm 

Beautiful and elegant with minimal number of pieces to accommodate such turns.
The jumbling part is also quite intriguing compared to others, as it is demonstrated
very clearly.

And as for a name, I could call it the... Square-Sphere!

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:02 pm 

:lol: 很漂亮。
但是吓我一跳。。因为这个跟我以前设计的很相似。。
我的设计 Super Pyraminx Ball
Attachment:
001.png
001.png [ 291.11 KiB | Viewed 1095 times ]

Attachment:
002.png
002.png [ 304.29 KiB | Viewed 1095 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:28 pm 

alaskajoe wrote:
benpuzzles wrote:
Personally I would recommend leaving those corner pieces floating, but also using 2 layers of grooves (1 shallower cut, and 1 deeper cut) to keep them stable.

It's either going to make the corners unstable or the little pieces. What I did not consider is using this type of mech and then just delete the corner stem and make these lie in there without connection. I need to make clear that these do not move. That is why they are attached to the core. I never saw a puzzle where hidden pieces are stationary and floating. That seemed weird.
I should mention that NXTgen advised me to let them float and I decided against that. :roll:

Also making the inner spherical plane deeper or closer to the surface would worsen one of the parts.

:oops: Never mind my coment, I thought the puzzle needed a shells mechanism to work...
But, couldn't you design it with conical cuts rather than flat cuts, since it is a sphere? This way, you could make the grooves deeper rather than shallower (to lose the anchored corners) and still maintain stability:
Attachment:
sphere 2.jpg
sphere 2.jpg [ 191.84 KiB | Viewed 1091 times ]

Attachment:
sphere 1.jpg
sphere 1.jpg [ 176.28 KiB | Viewed 1091 times ]

By using the conical cuts, the pieces fit snugly together on the outside:
Attachment:
sphere 3.jpg
sphere 3.jpg [ 173.34 KiB | Viewed 1091 times ]

Attachment:
sphere 4.jpg
sphere 4.jpg [ 176.12 KiB | Viewed 1091 times ]

As you can see below, there are no corners which must be anchored to the core:
Attachment:
sphere 5.jpg
sphere 5.jpg [ 187.29 KiB | Viewed 1091 times ]

Doing it this way will still create corner pieces though (but these are analogous to the corners of a 3x3 cube) and if the sizes of the grooves are small enough they are easily omitted.
What do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:11 am 

Ha. That really does look nice. Hey for some reason I didn't think the outmost line of the cut plane sketch could be conical too. I only did that to the lines perpendicular to the spherical shells.
This is embarrassing. Of course that cerates more space inside for the pieces.
:cry:
Hm. Well it does work and there is only very little blocking sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:10 pm 

alaskajoe wrote:
After some more time I finally would like to present Sphere 612. As the name says, it is gelatinbrain's 6.1.2. I actually think it is fine as a name. Many will probably disagree as it is a terrible name. But I want it to be a tribute to gelatinbrain's idea.

Indeed, it's a terrible name. :lol: I appreciate your tribute, but I'm just happy to know that my work inspired you. So you can name your puzzle as you like.

It's an amazing coincidence to see these two puzzles(yours and DDR's) posted almost in the same day.
Nex I'd like to the vertex turn version(6.2.1).
I think this is aesthically the most successful one, with well proportioned piece sizes and beautiful curves. :)

Win32 Executable(Download)
troubleshooting

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:25 pm 

Very nice puzzle! The geometry is essentially a partially unbandaged "Fractured Octahedron". I never made that puzzle, but instead made the OctoCube.