Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: An easy way to get a 5X5X4 or a 7X7X6
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:39 am 

I got an idea that you can use a 5X5X5 to make a 5X5X4 .

All you have to do is very simple, remove the middle layer's stickers like this

Attachment:
20130522598.jpg
20130522598.jpg [ 153.16 KiB | Viewed 1561 times ]

The problem is the real 5X5X4's top layer can't do the 90 degree trun after you turn the side face 90 degree ,

but this puzzle can trun as well. When you are turning this puzzle ,you should be very careful , and make sure you don't do the

90 degree turn with you side face. Then everything is gonna be OK.

After you know about that, you can have a very unique puzzle.You can have a very good time.

And also you can have a 7X7X6 after the middle layer's sticker removing, like this :
Attachment:
20130522593.jpg
20130522593.jpg [ 171.28 KiB | Viewed 1561 times ]

And also you can make the 9X9X8 and the 11X11X10 and ...

Post subject: Re: An easy way to get a 5X5X4 or a 7X7X6
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:15 am 

I think this idea is about 30 years old. It is well known that both cubes and cuboids can be used to simulate other cubes and cuboids by simple restickering and removal of stickers. In fact my 1982 3x3x4 cuboid was based on this principle. Many puzzles such as the 6x6x6 and 4x4x6 can simulate countless different cubes and cuboids.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:10 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I think this idea is about 30 years old. It is well known that both cubes and cuboids can be used to simulate other cubes and cuboids by simple restickering and removal of stickers. In fact my 1982 3x3x4 cuboid was based on this principle. Many puzzles such as the 6x6x6 and 4x4x6 can simulate countless different cubes and cuboids.

In fact this is particularly useful in order to understand how to solve cuboids that have not yet arrived. Assuming you are emulating them via a bigger cube, you can always "solve" them using moves that would be impossible on the emulated puzzle, and restart, in order to try new algorithms/to get used to complicated set up moves. It is in fact so useful that is almost cheating ;-)

Roberto

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:40 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:

First, I am your big fan.I like your puzzles so much.

Thanks that you let me know this idea is about 30 years old, I thought that was my idea, it's original.

I do feel that big puzzles can simulate countless different cuboids.I like that.I can save a lot of money.

Thanks your replay.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:45 am 

mocenigo wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:

In fact this is particularly useful in order to understand how to solve cuboids that have not yet arrived. Assuming you are emulating them via a bigger cube, you can always "solve" them using moves that would be impossible on the emulated puzzle, and restart, in order to try new algorithms/to get used to complicated set up moves. It is in fact so useful that is almost cheating ;-)

Roberto

You know that I do this is not for cheating. I just wanna play some new puzzles.

The real problem is that I don't have so much money to buy big cubes and cuboids.

How sad ! :cry:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:59 pm 

Michael Guo wrote:
mocenigo wrote:

You know that I do this is not for cheating. I just wanna play some new puzzles.

The real problem is that I don't have so much money to buy big cubes and cuboids.

How sad ! :cry:

I did not say it is cheating, of course! The fact that I can solve the cube with the "cube techniques" if something goes wrong while devising my own solution for the cuboid is so useful that it gives me a "dirty" cheating feeling. But of course making your own puzzle that way is NOT cheating and no way it could be. I hope I explained myself better.

Roberto

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:24 pm 

The cheating can be made impossible by bandaging certain pieces in the middle layer. :)

Code:
ABBBC
A   C
A   C
A   C
ABBBC

The As and Cs need to be joined. But keep the Bs separate.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:15 pm 

Just to add. Once a 12x12x12 comes out this will pretty much be the only puzzle (cube / cuboid) you need to own.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:12 pm 

Michael Guo wrote:
Thanks that you let me know this idea is about 30 years old, I thought that was my idea, it's original.

Don't be put off Michael. Anyone who discovers something new for themselves has still discovered something that is their own idea, as you did.

Even if
Tony Fisher wrote:
It is well known that both cubes and cuboids can be used to simulate other cubes and cuboids by simple restickering and removal of stickers
it wasn't known at all by you and so your discovery of it is perfectly valid. I suppose what I'm saying is not to stop trying to make new connections and discoveries with these things.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:17 pm 

mocenigo wrote:

I did not say it is cheating, of course! The fact that I can solve the cube with the "cube techniques" if something goes wrong while devising my own solution for the cuboid is so useful that it gives me a "dirty" cheating feeling. But of course making your own puzzle that way is NOT cheating and no way it could be. I hope I explained myself better.

Roberto

Sorry about that, I got it.

You are nice. Now I can play it so well without any trouble, but at first it can be very tricky. It's so hard to keep in a

5X5X4 shape, It's very easy to mess it up.

Your solution is awesome. When I messed it up, I had to solve it as a 5x5x5 to restart. It was kind of frustrating.

But everything is OK now. I can handle it very well ,including the 7X7X6.

Last edited by Michael Guo on Thu May 23, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:25 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Just to add. Once a 12x12x12 comes out this will pretty much be the only puzzle (cube / cuboid) you need to own.

It sounds too hard to me, but I'll try my best.

Thanks your reply.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:38 pm 

rline wrote:
Even if
Tony Fisher wrote:
It is well known that both cubes and cuboids can be used to simulate other cubes and cuboids by simple restickering and removal of stickers
it wasn't known at all by you and so your discovery of it is perfectly valid. I suppose what I'm saying is not to stop trying to make new connections and discoveries with these things.

Thanks, rline. You are so sweet. :cry:

All I wanna to do is have some fun and share something that I thought it was useful.

Thanks again.I 'm speechless.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:44 pm 

Jared wrote:
The cheating can be made impossible by bandaging certain pieces in the middle layer. :)

Code:
ABBBC
A   C
A   C
A   C
ABBBC

The As and Cs need to be joined. But keep the Bs separate.

I like your way. Your way is way better than mine. Thanks a lot.

But I can handle it very well now.

You are nice.Thanks again! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:41 am 

Quote:
Even if
Tony Fisher wrote:

Absolutely and I applaud anyone doing stuff by themselves. However "new" discoveries which aren't quite as new as the discoverer thinks can often lead to unnecessary doubling up of work. It would be cruel not to at least say it is well known. It doesn't mean the person mustn't proceed further, it just means they have all the up to date information regarding their discovery.