Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3' Rubik's Cube
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:13 pm 

I took a class at my local community college that allowed me to attempt at creating a functional 3 foot Rubik's Cube. The whole process was done over approximately 15 weeks while taking other classes. It's made of inch thick foamcore/PVC and can turn however it is very stiff. Things catch on the insides of the cube here and there, although I am quite sure it is still fully functional. I still have a few things to touch up as well, but this is more or less the final cube. This has been my first attempt at creating something remotely like this although I have created a few smaller modifications years ago. So please, tell me your thoughts, criticism, and perhaps even ideas as to where I should go from here. I'm also considering selling it, due to the fact that I have no where to put it. Thanks.

(Note it's an album)
http://imgur.com/a/K5PfK#9

Post subject: Re: 3' Rubik's Cube
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:24 pm 

:shock: :shock: :shock:
WOW that's impressive. Amazing...this must be the most difficult puzzle ever! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:18 pm 

Brilliant. Looks like you used regular pipe and connectors. I looked into this myself but so far haven't tried using it.
Yes I have one criticism, no video !!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:25 am 

Amazing ! But... what are you going to do with it ! I suppose it won't go on the same shelf as other cubes of your collection ! :lol:

Last edited by Felixouchon on Mon May 20, 2013 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:13 am 

That's awesome! Have you tried lubricating it?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:46 am 

Wow, that's bigger than the one in my avatar. How much does it weigh?

-d

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:54 pm 

AlexM wrote:
With lubix costing $20 for 10cc you would have to be daft or rich :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:31 pm 

Felixouchon - I'm not quite positive. Right now it's sitting in the art building of my school and I would love to sell it but am not sure as to how you could even ship something this large. Worst case scenario, I would donate it to my college as some sort of art or piece or something similar, but I would really love to get something out of the work I put into it. (Besides the enjoyment of building it)

AlexM - I have not. My prof. recommended using graphite although I thought that might get a little messy. I was seriously considering lubricating it however it isn't really something that is feasible to solve. You need 2 people to turn a side and slightly lift so that things don't catch as much.

darryl - I haven't weighed it, however it isn't that heavy, which I am quite happy about. If I had the funds I would have even placed a layer of thin plastic sheeting around the foam to make it look cleaner I suppose. I would guess around 30 pounds? Foamcore is a light material and I used about 5-6 sheets as well as some PVC for the core. It isn't as heavy as you would think.

I will try to get a video of it in the near future although I can't guarantee it. Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:35 pm 

You dont have to use lubix; any silicone oil with a good viscosity is good I'm sure :D

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:33 pm 

Cad wrote:
Felixouchon - I'm not quite positive. Right now it's sitting in the art building of my school and I would love to sell it but am not sure as to how you could even ship something this large. Worst case scenario, I would donate it to my college as some sort of art or piece or something similar, but I would really love to get something out of the work I put into it. (Besides the enjoyment of building it)

What area do you currently reside in?

I might be lucky enough to live close to you.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:08 pm 

I'm in a suburb of Philadelphia. (montgomery county community college) I'd be glad to show anyone near that would want to see it in person.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:13 pm 

Cad wrote:
I'm in a suburb of Philadelphia. (montgomery county community college) I'd be glad to show anyone near that would want to see it in person.

Wow, that's not to far from where I live (NY, Long Island, Nassua County) but it would be a road trip to see it still.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:22 am 

Gus wrote:
AlexM wrote:

A nice big dollop of axle grease would do!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:01 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Gus wrote:
AlexM wrote:

A nice big dollop of axle grease would do!
But I thought Lubix was the best for speedcubing? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:36 am 

Gus wrote:

Lubix is basically just the same as for example traxxas and shockoil, except it's much more expensive. :wink:

This is my WCA-profile.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:36 am 

Temeraire wrote:
Gus wrote:
Lubix is basically just the same as for example traxxas and shockoil, except it's much more expensive. :wink:
OK, but I bet if you use the cheaper Traxxas or axle grease you will never break 10 seconds on this cube :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:54 am 

Gus wrote:
Temeraire wrote:
Gus wrote:
OK, but I bet if you use the cheaper Traxxas or axle grease you will never break 10 seconds on this cube :lol:

That's true :(.

Actually I think it would be hard to break even a minute with it, I mean just look at the size of that cube ! :shock:

This is my WCA-profile.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:17 pm 

I am very cautious of putting any form of lubrication on it due to the foams sensitive nature. I have used certain glues and paints that have eroded away the foam and it's a very arbitrary as to why it does it. Also I don't think you would be able to solve it in that amount of time. You pretty much need 2 people to turn a side, and if you wish to turn a different side, you must flip the cube over, which is all sketchy at best. I think you are looking more at an hour to a day of solving time, although I wouldn't suggest it because it is somewhat fragile in areas. The best way I can think to put it is when you custom print a puzzle that catches and is somewhat loose, but still is functional. Now imagine that at 3 foot size. It still works but you can see how jiggly/loose it can act.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:11 pm 

Cad wrote:
I am very cautious of putting any form of lubrication on it due to the foams sensitive nature. I have used certain glues and paints that have eroded away the foam and it's a very arbitrary as to why it does it. Also I don't think you would be able to solve it in that amount of time. You pretty much need 2 people to turn a side, and if you wish to turn a different side, you must flip the cube over, which is all sketchy at best. I think you are looking more at an hour to a day of solving time, although I wouldn't suggest it because it is somewhat fragile in areas. The best way I can think to put it is when you custom print a puzzle that catches and is somewhat loose, but still is functional. Now imagine that at 3 foot size. It still works but you can see how jiggly/loose it can act.

Have you considered making a "twisting frame"? A simple square frame slightly bigger than 3' that you put over the top until it's about half way down the top layer. This would hold everything on the layer together while you made the move. You could even add little handles if it made things easier. You would still have to flip the puzzle over between moves but it should speed things up and make it a bit more enjoyable. This would also greatly reduce stress on the puzzle.
As for lubrication, I wonder if Fairy Liquid would work.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:35 pm 

I have not thought of the "twisting frame" idea. I made this just to make sure I'm on the same page (http://i.imgur.com/SosYCiJ.png). This would make the puzzle much better I would think and makes a certain point that if you need another piece just to move the puzzle, the thing is a monster. The only other thing I can think of that might aid this would be some sort of quick, already set up, clamp that can be turned once or so that you can lift slightly, allowing to jig the puzzle free in some areas. Thanks for the idea, and frankly it would be fairly easy to make out of the foam, however I don't think I have the motivation nor the funds to continue on. As far as the fairy liquid goes, I would think it might be a better guess than most. I'm not sure how it would react. Perhaps if I find some small graphic design jobs, I will continue on soon, but until then, I'll try to get a video up within a week or so.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:42 pm 

For the frame I meant just a hollow square made out of four pieces of 1.5" x 1.5" x 3' 2" (approx) wood. It would only take 10 mins to make and wouldn't be too bulky.

Attachments:
3footcube.JPG
3footcube.JPG [ 49.8 KiB | Viewed 1402 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:35 pm 

Gus wrote:
AlexM wrote:

Not lubix, but maybe 15 cans of sillicone spray?