Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mechanical Keyboards
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 pm 

I have recently gotten into mechanical keyboards with my first, a Das Model S Ultimate with Cherry MX Blue switches.
I ordered some green keycaps too and placed them on the wasd keys, arrow keys, escape, and B and N keys. I plan on laser engraving B and N on those keys. I am more than happy with this keyboard and switches. My typing speed has been gradually going up and now my fastest is 122wpm but my average is only around 100.
I also ordered an extra switch and keycap and made a keychain thing with some acrylic sheet.
Anyone else here into mechanical keyboards?

Attachments:
7ynfyxg0.jpg
7ynfyxg0.jpg [ 133.78 KiB | Viewed 1598 times ]
WP_000160.jpg
WP_000160.jpg [ 146.62 KiB | Viewed 1598 times ]

Post subject: Re: Mechanical Keyboards
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:03 pm 

I have a Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid mechanical keyboard, and I absolutely love it.http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3060

I have cherry Reds and I am pretty happy with the feel. but I would like to try some other switches in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:52 pm 

I'd be willing to buy a a Das keyboard if they came completely unbranded. I feel like having their name and logo defeats the purpose of having no text on the keys. I want a truly blank keyboard.

Speaking of typing, I use the Dvorak keyboard layout which I find more comfortable for long-term usage. It's rare that I run into another Dvorak user but I suspect this forum if any place has more us of us, it would be this forum :lol: .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:08 pm 

I agree about the branding. I thought about painting it a matte black so it matches the keys more but that would cover the lock lights. I bet sandblasting would do the trick.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:42 pm 

I have honestly been thinking about switching to Dvorak, but I don't honestly know that I would gain any benefit from it personally. I don't feel that I type fast enough to warrant the switch to begin with. I don't like the severe amount of branding on my keyboard either, and I am considering sanding and painting it to match my computer a little better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:45 pm 

Muffet wrote:
I have honestly been thinking about switching to Dvorak, but I don't honestly know that I would gain any benefit from it personally. I don't feel that I type fast enough to warrant the switch to begin with. I don't like the severe amount of branding on my keyboard either, and I am considering sanding and painting it to match my computer a little better.

Ask Bram he uses one. I think your speed would go up. I just wish every keyboard was Dvorak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:45 pm 

Muffet wrote:

Speaking for myself, my typing speed is mostly limited by the rate I can compose sentences in my head and spell words. If I'm transcribing written content I'm significantly faster. The most commonly hyped up reason for why you should switch is faster typing but I don't think that's actually true or a very good reason for switching.

I switched for a few reasons. The first was that while I was in high school because I was spending so many hours in front of a computer typing that I had a lot of pain and strain in my forearms and wrists. The second was that even though I spent tons of time typing, I was a terrible QWERTY typist. I didn't touch-type correctly, my error rate was very high, and I had the bad habit of looking at the keys even though I knew where they were. Switching fixed all of these problems.

The difficulty in switching varies greatly from person-to-person. I took me about 3 years to get my Dvorak speed and accuracy up to where my QWERTY speed was before I switched. I'm an extreme example though and I've never heard anyone else report quite the same level of trouble I had. On the other end of the extreme, I had a friend in college that switched and was up to the same speed and accuracy in two weeks. Also, she didn't lose her ability to type on the QWERTY layout and she could seamless switch between the two. My hypothesis for the one of the things that made it so easy for her to switch is that she already typed on two different Korean keyboard layouts in addition to QWERTY which made that portion of her brain more malleable.

I've been a Dvorak typist for about 12 years now. I was a QWERTY typist for about 6 years. I used to hate typing and thought it was a very inefficient way to convey thoughts. Now typing feels so natural I tend to forget that I'm doing it and I often go months without even remembering that I type on an alternative layout. It's hard to know how much of this can be attributed to the Dvorak layout itself versus the amount of time I've used it versus using QWERTY. I'm certain the elimination in wrist and forearm strain / pain can be attributed to the Dvorak layout.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 pm 

Thats very interesting Brandon, that settles it, I am going to switch to Dvorak sometime in the next few days and give it a try for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:51 pm 

You will find the Qwerty vs. Dvorak and I type at ~90wpm on QWERTY. Should I take up Colemak? threads have discussed this in some detail. I had never heard of Colemak before reading these threads.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:31 am 

DLitwin wrote:
You will find the Qwerty vs. Dvorak and I type at ~90wpm on QWERTY. Should I take up Colemak? threads have discussed this in some detail. I had never heard of Colemak before reading these threads.

Dave

This is the first I've heard of Colemak too. I used their Java applet and pasted in several of my posts and several of my longer emails to compare the layouts.

It seems Colemak and Dvorak essential tie on distance and "same finger". Dvorak consistently beats it on "same hand" but this isn't surprising since Dvorak has all vowels under the left hand on the home row. I find hand-alternation to be a very desirable feature.

Surprisingly, Colemak seems to seems to edge out Dvorak on home-row usage.

Based on this testing I think an argument could be made that Colemak is just as good as Dvorak from a finger statistics perspective. The fact that it achieves that while being a minor permutation of the QWERTY layout is impressive.

I looked through their FAQ about "what's wrong with Dvorak" and some of their negatives I think are positives. Their point about Dvorak being hard to learn for existing QWERTY typists is very accurate though. Dvorak was designed to be easy to learn for first-time typists, not to convert from QWERTY to it. Colemak seems to be designed specifically for conversion from QWERTY.

I checked my Linux machine and the Colemak lay out is there. I've never seen it on Windows though and that could be a problem for folks that use a lot of different computers. I can switch a Windows machine to Dvorak very rapidly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:09 am 

Sorry about the bump but I didn't feel the need to start a new thread.
I made a 3x3 keycap! You can see the album here.
A couple of people on Reddit have told me that they would be willing to buy one but it's quite a pain painting and stickering. I wonder if I should order a batch and sell them as a limited edition thing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:31 am 

Why aren't you stickering that in a solvable state? :lol:

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:41 pm 

Burgo wrote:
Why aren't you stickering that in a solvable state? :lol:

It is :lol: I used a scrambled cube as a template. I think the lighting makes the colors seem off though.