Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I need a good Megaminx tutorial based on 3x3 beginner method
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:04 pm 

:scrambled: I've been looking around at guides, and was told that the Megaminx is actually easier than a 4x4, despite how intimidating it looks. However, none of the guides seem all that good. I don't know if it's just me or not, but my understanding starts to drop once the first layer is done. I understand some of it since it uses the normal beginner F2L algorithms, but the guides aren't clear enough in explanation. So far, the best tutorial I could find was one by MeMyselfAndPi, but he uses some beginner tactics that are slightly different from how I learned (Dan Brown's guide).

I don't own a megaminx just yet, but after toying with one, and getting a little less than half of it solved just by using normal 3x3 beginner algorithms, I'm confident I can learn this one, and the impressive factor to unknowing spectators doesn't hurt lol.

But yeah, are there any good quality, clear tutorial videos for the megaminx? Or is MeMyselfAndPi as good as it gets?

Post subject: Re: I need a good Megaminx tutorial based on 3x3 beginner me
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:31 pm 

Are you familiar with Petrus F2L? It's not the same method, but since it is a block-building method, it translates to the Megaminx very well.

No tutorial that I know of, though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:56 pm 

Hi

Somewhat self-promotingly, I can point you to my two tutorials on the megaminx. One is an Edges first method, the other is a layer by layer method. You might find some things in there to help you. Not sure which beginner method you use, but mine use only the algs URU'R' (and similar) and URU'L' UR'U'L. Hope they help.

Megaminx edges first

Megaminx layer by layer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:31 pm 

Thanks, rline, I'll check out your layers method since that's what I use. I'm usually not that big on text-based tutorials, but I'm hoping it'll all help fill in the blanks I have.

And I'll check out the Petrus method, Jared. I keep hearing it being thrown around here so I may as well sneak a peek. I'll definitely wanna learn a new 3x3 method on one of my 3x3s first, and then translate it over to the megaminx.

Now I just wish there was a program that let me play with cubes in 3D on my computer. Not just normal cubes, but other types of twisty puzzles as well. That would be awesome practice for when I get my hands on the puzzles physically. I could learn the megaminx and 4x4 before I own them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:34 pm 

ihaveaface wrote:
Thanks, rline, I'll check out your layers method since that's what I use. I'm usually not that big on text-based tutorials, but I'm hoping it'll all help fill in the blanks I have.

Hi

Mine are video tutorials. They're just housed on a blog page... :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:27 am 

ihaveaface wrote:
Now I just wish there was a program that let me play with cubes in 3D on my computer. Not just normal cubes, but other types of twisty puzzles as well. That would be awesome practice for when I get my hands on the puzzles physically. I could learn the megaminx and 4x4 before I own them.

You can use the GelatinBrain / Magic Polyhedra program. It has TONS of puzzles to try. Takes a bit of getting used to, but it's very helpful for solving complex puzzles. I usually have it open when I'm trying to solve a new puzzle so that I can try out sequences before I mess up the progress on my physical puzzle. That said, let's get to solving!

You can solve all but the last layer using intuition and an algorithm from Jaap's method for the 3x3x3 found here (see Solution 1 - Phase 3). My method for the last layer is probably a bit convoluted and may stray from the beginner's method a bit [I'm not even really sure what the real beginner's method is], but I figure I'll throw it out there since it's really easy to remember - only 5 easy algorithms total, 3 or 4 of which are recycled from 3x3x3 methods. This guide assumes the last layer is up, btw.

1. Orient edges using R'F'U'FUR [I'm not really sure where I picked it up, but it's easy to remember]. May take a few tries, but when you get down to just two opposite [read: non-adjacent] edges needing flipping, hold them at UL and UR, then do the algorithm. You'll now have them all oriented.

2. Position edges by using a simple 3-swap: [R2 U2 R'2] U [R2 U2 R'2]. Easy to remember. This will 3-cycle UL-UR-UBL [dunno what else to call that edge but 'back left']. Repeat this with turns of the U face until you have UF and UBR [back right] positioned correctly, then hit it home once or twice more to have them all positioned correctly.

3. To position the corners we will use repeated edge-piece series [at least I think that's what rline calls it] to manipulate corners. The series is [RF'R'F]. Done three times, this leaves the edges untouched but manipulates 4 corners - the two corners on the FR block [we care about these] and two below [we don't care about these]. Use the lower FR corner [again, don't know what else to call it] as a "holder." Hold a piece there, then turn U until it's destination is directly above. Perform [RF'R'F]x3 to put that corner into place. Now a new piece is in the holder position. Repeat the process until all corners are positioned correctly. [Note: at the start of this step, the "holder" piece is already in it's correct position, so you'll have to do [RF'R'F]x3 once before it makes any sense.]

4. Orient corners using a simple algorithm from the 3x3x3: repeated R'XRX' [X is the lower face adjacent to R and F - don't know what else to call it]. Hold a corner that needs to be oriented at UFR. Perform [R'XRX']x2 until that corner is positioned and oriented correctly [don't worry about the rest being screwed up - it'll fix itself in a minute]. Now turn U so that another corner that needs to be oriented is at UFR. Repeat until all corners are oriented correctly.

5. Marvel!

This was my first guide, btw, so feedback would be appreciated. Also, if anyone can help with the notation, please jump in! I have no idea how to discuss more than U, F, L and R on a dodecahedron. Luckily you don't need much more than that on this puzzle.

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:12 pm 

rline, your method threw me off because it looked like it was edges first on the entire puzzle, not layer by layer. I didn't finishing watching it, but it seemed like that's what it was, and it just kinda confused me. Plus, I'm not sure what edge piece series is.

That program is really cool, but pretty wonky too. I had trouble getting the face I want to turn correctly. I'll have to toy with it more. I'll also make note of your last layer guide and try it out when I get my puzzle. I guess holding the physical puzzle is easier for me since I'm more of a hands on learner.

But now I have a question about the megaminx in general. People, including you say I can more or less solve it up to the last layer just by using a mix of intuition and beginner algorithms. I'm gonna explain how I solve a 3x3 at the moment, and it'd be nice if I could be told which algorithms will work, and how I could translate my method to the megaminx. I would like to use my method as far as I can. I know the last layer will need a different strategy. Btw, my method is Dan Brown's method verbatim. Link for the lazy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOgN7d1D-3s You can just watch all of that series if my explanation is muddled.

The way I solve a 3x3 is I get the cross, and when I need to flip an edge, I use F, U, L', U' (this has become one single motion at this point). Then I place the corner piece I need underneath where it needs to go, and then move it into the top layer using R', D', R, D (I repeat until it's oriented).

Once I do that, I flip it over so the finished face is on bottom, and then I start placing edge pieces in the 2nd layer. I pick an edge that doesn't share a color with the top center piece, and I line it up with a matching center on one of the side faces. If it needs to go to the left, I use U', L', U, L, U, F, U', F'. If it needs to go to the right, I use U, R, U', R', U', F', U, F. I use this algorithm as well if all edges in the top layer share a color with the center, I just make sure the edge I need to move up is on the right, facing me, in the middle layer.

Once the middle layer is done, I work on the 2nd cross. I do the typical L, then the bar. I repeat F, R, U, R', U', F' between each phase. If the L is flipped like a reverse 7, I use f, R, U, R', U', f' to skip the bar and get the cross right away.

Once I have the cross, if no edges match up to their centers, I use R, U', R', U, R, 2U, R'. If 2 edges match and are across from each other, I have one face me and use R, U, R', U, R, 2U, R' to make them adjacent. Then I repeat the algorithm with one on the back face, and one on the right face. This lines them all up.

Then I find a corner piece that's at least in the right place, oriented or not. When I find one, I hold the cube so the corner is nearest me to the right. I do U, R, U', L', U, R', U', L. Once I do it, I check to see if all the corners are in the right place, if not, I repeat it again until they are. If at the start, no corners are in the right spot, I do the algorithm anyway on any corner and it places at least one, then I resume as usual.

If 2 or more corners are placed, then they all are. Once I'm at this step, I just do R', D', R, D over and over to each corner until they're oriented. When I finish a corner, I turn the U face only to the next corner and repeat.

That's basically how I do it. I know it isn't fast or efficient because I'm still learning. I still need a cheat sheet for algorithms, but it's only for the very last one. Once I memorize it, I'll be able to solve from memory. Now I just need to know exactly what I need to alter for it to work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:02 pm 

Hi ihaveaface,

For Dodecahedron Notation I will use: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22683&start=27

Your sequences will work on a megaminx:
F2L Edge Placement U R U' R' U' F' U F works.
LL Edge Orientation F R U R' U' F' works.
Sune works with a slight adaption R U R' U R U2 R' (333) > R U R' U R U2' R' (Megaminx)
Your CPS sequence adapted looks like: U2 R U2' L' U2 R' U2' L
Your Corner Orintation sequence looks like: (R' DR' R DR)x2

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm 

I have made a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEfDE5V9 ... tube_gdata

Last edited by LiteRoon on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:32 am 

I would link you to a good tutorial but i dont want to spoil it for you! The Megaminx is basically a extended 3x3 and i think you will feel much better if you figure it out by yourself! it is seriously not too hard!
Good luck :D :D

TIP: try getting the layers up untill LL solved, LL is a bit tricky you might need a tut

Post subject: I need a good Megaminx tutorial based on 3x3 beginner method
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:49 pm 

Small VERY INTERESTING addition!!!

Algorithm of rearrangement by a 3-cycle of angular elements on a cube 3х3х3: (R' D R) U' (R' D' R) U2 (R' D R) U' (R' D' R).
Similarly this algorithm can be applied to rearrangement of angular elements in any sequence.
The same algorithm can be used and for a megaminx: (R' D R) U' (R' D' R) U2 (R' D R) U' (R' D' R).

On a cube 3х3х3 for rearrangement by a 3-cycle of edges also it is possible to use similar algorithm:
(R' E R) U' (R' E' R) U2 (R' E R) U' (R' E' R).

The megaminx has no property of turn of average layers. Is paradoxical, but the same algorithm can be used and for a megaminx:
(R' Dw R) U' (R' Dw' R) U2 (R' Dw R) U' (R' Dw' R), where Dw - turn of all bottom part of a megaminx at a motionless top side U!

Now there is no necessity to remember algorithms of rearrangement of edges at a stage PLL. It is possible to rearrange edges in any sequence as well as angular elements! :D