Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dogic Questions
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:53 am 

I recently purchased a Mèfferts 12- Color Dogic. I spent about 2 hours yesterday disassembling and washing all the pieces. I've wanted this puzzle for a while now, not as much for the collecting aspect of it but because I want a new enjoyable solving experience. I plan on lubing and reassembling it later this week (whenever my diff oil gets here).

Is there any place that sells replacement Dogic cores? Or 12 arm cores that will work for the Dogic? I noticed when taking it apart that rather than using machine thread screws, like most puzzles, this one had wood screws holding it together. I would like to try a using some machine screws in reassembly but only if I can get a replacement core if I manage to strip or otherwise destroy the original.

Also, do the 3 small tiles on the triangular "corner" pieces (sorry, not sure what to call them) come out? I'd like to redo the color scheme, but only if I'm not going to hurt the puzzle any.

Thanks in advance,
Max

Post subject: Re: Dogic Questions
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:28 pm 

Yes those triangular pieces come out. Turn the part over and push the little tab things down.
Why do you want to replace the screws? They work fine and if you hadn't disassembled the puzzle you wouldn't have known.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:36 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Yes those triangular pieces come out. Turn the part over and push the little tab things down.
Why do you want to replace the screws? They work fine and if you hadn't disassembled the puzzle you wouldn't have known.

I enjoy trying different screw/spring combos and structures for my puzzles. I've redone the core/screws/spring combination of my main 3x3 about 10 times. I enjoy finding new combinations that may or may not effect the puzzle. I realize that the stock setup works, but it would be fun, I think, to make it work a different way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:59 am 

I recently purchased a Mona Lisa. I spent about 2 hours yesterday disassembling and washing the painting. I've wanted this picture for a while now, not as much for the collecting aspect of it but because I want a new, improved version. I plan on re-sketching and re-coloring it later this week (whenever my oil paint gets here).

Is there any place that sells replacement women's smiles? Or 6 fingered hands that will work for this woman? I noticed when taking it apart, that rather than using machine thread screws, like most modern picture frames, this one had wood screws holding it together. I would like to try using some machine screws in reassembly but only if I can get a replacement frame if I manage to strip or otherwise destroy the original.

Also, do the 2 small eyes on the "head" part (sorry, not sure what to call them) come out? I'd like to redo the eye color to glow-in-the-dark-satan-red, but only if I'm not going to hurt the picture any.

:lol: in advance,
Gus

Last edited by Gus on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:09 am 

Hey Gus,

I recently purchased the Mona Lisa too! Are you sure yours isn't the KO? How can you tell ayway :? ? Anyone got any experience telling the real one from the KO?

:lol:

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:15 am 

I know mine must be genuine because I bought it from a man in the pub for nearly £100 :shock:

Here is my improved version:
Attachment:
File comment: My Mona
Mona Lisa.png
Mona Lisa.png [ 531.23 KiB | Viewed 2490 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:14 am 

Reminds me of this

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:34 am 

Zzupler wrote:
Reminds me of this
No way! That is rubbish, mine is sweet!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:08 am 

unirox13 wrote:
I've wanted this puzzle for a while now, not as much for the collecting aspect of it but because I want a new enjoyable solving experience.

Come on guys. Hasn't there been criticism in the past of people who buy expensive puzzles to leave on a shelf?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:37 am 

Now, Tony, all TP members know that only you are allowed to mess around with or modify a Dogic :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:49 am 

Gus wrote:
Now, Tony, all TP members know that only you are allowed to mess around with or modify a Dogic :wink:

And now I have almost run out of Dogics since you guys never stopped me!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:00 am 

I was actually beginning to think that the folks here were more respectful and helpful than those on the speedsolving forum. However on that forum a mod would have deleted the rude posts already.

You don't leave the stock, less than ideal, motor in a classic car that you plan on driving around town. You see of you can find a better way of making it run.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:42 am 

unirox13 wrote:
I was actually beginning to think that the folks here were more respectful and helpful than those on the speedsolving forum. However on that forum a mod would have deleted the rude posts already.

You don't leave the stock, less than ideal, motor in a classic car that you plan on driving around town. You see of you can find a better way of making it run.
I'm very sorry that you have taken offence at my posts, it genuinely was an attempt at humor. It's just that Dogics are so rare the thought of taking one apart to modify it is very unusual (Tony Fisher excepted). Hope you understand and return to the forums :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:43 am 

I think now the only one with any kind of replacement core is Tony. you probably aren't going to find them anywhere unless of course the fan throwing chap is willing to hive his up :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:58 am 

Gus, apology accepted. It had been a rough morning in the real world and the posts here hit a little harder than I'm sure that they would have.

I don't actually plan on modifying any of the original parts. My main goals in disassembling it were A) to see how it works and B) to see if I could change the color scheme without hurting the puzzle any.

I'm considering taking a megaminx core and adding an aluminum spacer to each arm just to see if I can make it work. I have no intentions of damaging any of the original pieces, in fact that was the main reason I want to lube the puzzle. I can't imagine trying to solve it as stiff as it was when I got it. I feel I'm far more likely to do more damage to it unlubed than could ever be caused by a few solves after some silicone diff oil.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:03 am 

unirox13, no problem. As well as the real world getting in the way of the TP world, sometimes one person's humor is another person's insult. Ho hum.

Anyway, what about making a 3D copy of the core, printed at Shapeways? I'm sure that one of our large collection of tame designers could do it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:41 am 

Another apology here unirox, my post wasn't intended to hurt. As Tony says puzzles are meant for playing with and it is up to the owner to do whatever they want with them!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:44 am 

Gus wrote:
Anyway, what about making a 3D copy of the core, printed at Shapeways? I'm sure that one of our large collection of tame designers could do it.

Why not ? I have a dogic + a set of pieces, which I don't know what do do with...
A printed core with printed black little pieces could make another dogic. But this is probable that the print will be more expensive than a dogic !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:51 am 

Zzupler wrote:
Another apology here unirox, my post wasn't intended to hurt. As Tony says puzzles are meant for playing with and it is up to the owner to do whatever they want with them!

Thank you, apology accepted. I'll admit I may have reacted a bit harshly. No hard feelings to any of you. I really enjoy this forum and all of the incredible puzzles and designs that I've discovered because of it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:58 am 

See here: http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=2405

Dogics has been designed by Door and printed bei Karl-Heinz Diekmann 2 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:35 am 

Gus wrote:
I recently purchased a Mona Lisa. I spent about 2 hours yesterday disassembling and washing the painting. I've wanted this picture for a while now, not as much for the collecting aspect of it but because I want a new, improved version. I plan on re-sketching and re-coloring it later this week (whenever my oil paint gets here).
Gus

More probably using tag <humor> ... </humor> will avoid misunderstanding.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:19 am 

iaroslavski wrote:
More probably using tag <humor> ... </humor> will avoid misunderstanding.
Maybe, but, like having to explain a joke to someone, using these tags renders the joke into not-a-joke :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:30 am 

Regarding the jokes, I believe the forum merely reflects the real world. You often don't know if people are joking or not until you get to know them a bit. Pretty sure we don't need signs around our necks. I personally feel smileys are unnecessary as well but I know I am in a minority of almost one (feel free to quote me and add loads of smileys).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:58 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I personally feel smileys are unnecessary as well but I know I am in a minority of almost one (feel free to quote me and add loads of smileys).
Attachment:
File comment: Smiley
TF.png
TF.png [ 73.74 KiB | Viewed 2252 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:27 am 

Haha genius!