Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solving a (Glue-Joined) Siaminx
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:26 pm 

My recent post about the AI 4x4x4 bandaged cube helped me get that one completed (finally!), so I thought I’d see if anyone has a method for solving one type of “siaminx” (I mean two glue-joined pyraminxes). I made one of these when I first tried doing simple mods. It looks super cool, but it turned out to be not so simple, compared to a single pyraminx (which is really easy). The joining (which I’ve done by removing one edge piece from one pyraminx and then gluing them at the spot they “fit together”) produces a significant restriction on the turning of one of the two pyraminxes. The Zamora siaminx uses a custom-made joiner edge pieces, and so it doesn't have this kind of restriction. I’ve added some pics, showing the one I made, with arrows pointed at the joining spot, and one pic showing how that join-spot blocks certain turns. There are no solve or tutorial videos for this on youtube…. Anyone want to be the first? It would be a good excuse to have some fun with two old pyraminxes you have laying around :)

Attachments:
IMG_2983.JPG
IMG_2983.JPG [ 2.28 MiB | Viewed 1531 times ]
IMG_2980.JPG
IMG_2980.JPG [ 2.84 MiB | Viewed 1531 times ]
IMG_2979.JPG
IMG_2979.JPG [ 2.71 MiB | Viewed 1531 times ]
IMG_2978.JPG
IMG_2978.JPG [ 2.73 MiB | Viewed 1531 times ]

Post subject: Re: Solving a (Glue-Joined) Siaminx
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:28 am 

You still have 2 seperate but bandaged puzzles.. The top one I can't see it having anything but trivial twists. The bottom one, I can't see it being any more than the bandaged pyraminx in the picture:

Have I misunderstood the bandaging / blocking?

Attachments:
Bandaged Pyraminx.jpg
Bandaged Pyraminx.jpg [ 80.14 KiB | Viewed 1479 times ]

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:53 am 

Aren't they just pyraminxes with two turnable faces?
EDIT: Or does the bottom one not turn at all?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:50 am 

Yes, Burgo, the "bottom" one is equivalent to the bandaged pyraminx in your pic, and it is easy enough to solve. But the "top" one is restricted in a more difficult way. The top "cone" (if I may call it that) cannot be turned at all, because the front face of the "bottom" one cannot be turned out of the way (= the two front faces are glue-joined).

I hope that's clearer. The bottom one has had a piece removed, and the top one has been "inserted" into that slot and then glued on one spot, right where the arrows are.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:42 pm 

I had a few twists and I think I have something that can help you out: 
This is a combination of face turns (RL) and corner turns (F).
Edge 3 cycle: (L' R L R') x2 F (R L' R' L) x2 F'
2 edge orientation: (R F R' F) x3 L' (R F R' F) x3 L
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:04 pm 

Hey Burgo,

I tried using the two tips you gave and was stymied for a long time, and put the puzzle away, etc. But today I sat down with a legal pad, an extra (single) pyraminx for testing things on, and I used those two tips (the 3-cycle and the two edge orientation) to solve my siaminx for the first time! So, I wanted to say Thanks! for helping me out with this one. This was the only puzzle in my collection that I'd never solved, even once. So it's kind of a Cross One Off The List moment. :wink: I really have no idea how some of you guys are able to work out your own new algs, esp. such long ones. I mean, for comparison, I solved a Shengshou 9x9x9 yesterday, and the only time I consulted any notes at all was for the last two edge strips (and I used a 5x5x5 alg, adjusted for the 9x9x9x). That's it. The rest I did based on stored knowledge, not only of the 3x3x3 obviously, but of the 4-, 5-, 6-, etc. series. But if I had to come up with even 1 alg, totally on my own, with nothing else, I'd be lost. Was lost, till you helped me out. Anyway, THANKS MAN!!!

Brian