Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: shapeways comments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:15 pm 

Unless there is an onslaught of buyers that comment in the next few minutes, I have noticed that there is a lack of comments about the puzzles bought on shapeways. As someone who is relatively new to the tp community, I think it would be rather nice to see a comment or two on more of the puzzles in shapeways. Yes, I know there are youtube videos that review certain puzzles but those are few and far between.Possibly just a quick blurb about how easy it is to assemble, what you thought about the puzzle, etc... Or am I just being crazy?

Post subject: Re: shapeways comments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:57 pm 

I don't think there are enough buyers of most puzzles sold on Shapeways to produced a complete and somewhat unbiased picture of a given puzzle.

There are a few traits of the current buyers that are going to bias reviews a bit:

1) They spent a ton of money on the puzzle (relative to mass produced puzzles) and there is ample evidence that the more money you spend on something the more you're willing to make excuses for shortcomings.

2) They're not just casual twisty puzzle fans. They're either on a quest for a giant collection or unique physical solving experience. They're willing to put more money and time into making a puzzle work right and the end-goal may be for a beautiful puzzle rather than a perfect puzzle.

3) In many cases they know the designers and want to keep the designers making more designs. If they started listing all of the pros and cons there could be some hurt feelings.

If you have some specific puzzles in mind I'd suggest you post a list soliciting comments. If an owner isn't willing to comment publicly they may be wiling to PM you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:07 pm 

As usual, you make very valid points and I agree with all three of them. I guess for true puzzle enthusiasts, they will go the extra kilometer (metric is soo much better :) ) to get the information they need.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:15 pm 

The lack of comments does make buying decisions difficult, though I would value the comments of fellow TP members more than unknown people on Shapeways. I agree that some sort of comments or reviews of Shapeways puzzles would be very helpful, but I would prefer to see them posted here on TP Forum. I'm not sure where or if reviews would even be welcome and given the small size of the TP community, I suspect we would only get "good news" reviews anyway. I decided against getting one expensive puzzle because I couldn't get any feedback on it; silence speaks volumes. In an effort to do my part, I'm committed to making videos about all of the Shapeways puzzles I get. (I currently have a 2.5-puzzle backlog mainly due to my busy work, travel and school schedule, but I will be catching up starting next week).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:30 pm 

Pete the Geek wrote:
I agree that some sort of comments or reviews of Shapeways puzzles would be very helpful, but I would prefer to see them posted here on TP Forum.

You bring up an interesting point, the only posts I ever see and/or look up are ones about new puzzles and how great they look, number of permutations, etc. I haven't found a post where someone describes the overall solving experience.
bmenrigh wrote:
3) In many cases they know the designers and want to keep the designers making more designs. If they started listing all of the pros and cons there could be some hurt feelings.

Again this is a good point, but if we managed to post on tp forum perhaps comments would be more "safeguarded" simply meaning you will have comments that very more often than not will be constructive and useful for future buyers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:47 am 
As somebody who not only has a good number of shapeways puzzles, but also a YouTuber who has posted detailed videos about them, I don't quite understand what you mean by there's a lack off comment's or more specifically what it sounds like your saying is a lack of information about them (the assembly, turning and such).

When somebody reviews a shapeways puzzle on YouTube, or writes about it here in the Twisty Puzzles Forum, it's really no different than reviewing any other puzzle. What I mean by that is that mass produced puzzles are all different, have different and unique mechanisms, just as shapeways puzzles do. People talk about both of them. Mass produced puzzles can have a unique solve strategy to them, as shapeways puzzles do. People also talk about both of them.

My point is, I don't think that there is a lack of comments when it comes to shapeways puzzles, all the information is there. It's just that there is no difference in assembling a shapeways puzzle than some other mass produced puzzle that has a unique mechanism, so why would somebody go into extra detail, especially when there are very few of the puzzles made? Additionally, because there are so few shapeways puzzles compare to mass produced puzzles, maybe it just seems there is a lack of comments or information because really, there's just a lack of the puzzles floating around.

That's just my 2 cents. If there were more of these puzzles in circulation, there would be more information.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:57 am 

With regard to assembling Shapeways printed puzzles, most are rather easy to figure out how to assemble. Also, designers are always willing to help when assembly help is needed. I haven't needed help on the last 30 or so puzzles I've assembled. It really is easier than it may seem at first.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:06 pm 

I discussed with other moderators and we decided to create a new topic Review of Shapeways puzzles.
I have written a new review about Luke's Curvy Copter Skewb and quoted some earlier reviews of myself.

Maybe, other Shapeways buyers can do something similar and dig out older reviews and post them again in the new thread.

Everybody, who has real experiences with a Shapeways puzzle, is invited to contribute.
Please, do not post here, if you know a puzzle from pictures only, even if you is your favourite.
We want to share experiences about the real puzzles.

So, we could create over time some useful hints for potential buyer's of Shapeways puzzles.