Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Twitter help
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:29 pm 

Hello,

A friend just told me twitter is sending out emails like this pretending its me. I haven't used my twitter account in years and I've never even been to it with my new PC. Any idea how to get it to stop sending out this junk. It appears to be something that just started.

Attachment:
twitter.png
twitter.png [ 40.26 KiB | Viewed 772 times ]

If its some virus in my twitter account I'm tempted to avoid going there with this PC.

Thanks,
Carl

Post subject: Re: Twitter help
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:23 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
It looks like your twitter account got hacked! Probably someone managed to crack your password. I hope you don't use the same password for other accounts.

I use a password manager (initially used 1Password for Mac and now prefer LastPass) to manage all my passwords and to generate them when I need new ones. All of them are 12-20 characters and completely uncrackable gibberish.

You could try logging on and resetting the password to lock out the intruder but the chances are they have changed it. You may need to contact Twitter and prove your identity to get them to reset the account - this shouldn't be difficult as you have your own domain name and it is easy to prove you own it.

Good luck!

Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:41 pm 

Twitter is a bit more complicated. It's most likely that the bad guys got a hold of your password. There have been several big leaks of passwords or password hashes for Twitter. Some of them are collected via malware and others are collected not from the users but through other means including hacking Twitter.

You don't have to worry about malware "in your twitter account" or anything like that. You can log in and change your password.

Also, be sure you change that password in any other accounts you happen to use it.

But, Twitter is complicated. They have an API with access tokens. It's possible a token was stolen and not your password. See:
https://support.twitter.com/articles/76 ... plications

You should revoke all API access to any other site or application. After you've changed your password head to:
https://twitter.com/settings/applications

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:02 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
You should revoke all API access to any other site or application. After you've changed your password head to:
https://twitter.com/settings/applications
Thanks. I've now changed the password. If someone hacked it they didn't change it. And I've also revoked access to 3 applications. Hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks,
Carl